spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-04-30 18:19:01: AT&T's decision to stick with copper VDSL instead of running fiber has more drawbacks than just limiting the bandwidth the telco can offer consumers. ..

Chuckles0
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Saint Paul, MN

?

So these large cabinets don't exist?

Dogfather
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

What is the point?

This ad makes no sense from a business stand point.

I can see them spending the money if they wanted to try and generate opposition to the deployment, but if the box is already there, it's too late for this ad to be effective. As far as the customer is concerned, the 'damage is done' and they should just consider the new competitor.

lg75

join:2003-01-31
Bronx, NY

1 edit

Re: What is the point?

said by Dogfather:

This ad makes no sense from a business stand point.

I can see them spending the money if they wanted to try and generate opposition to the deployment, but if the box is already there, it's too late for this ad to be effective. As far as the customer is concerned, the 'damage is done' and they should just consider the new competitor.
I don't live anywhere near Comcast or AT&T territory (believe me, I'm very grateful of that), but I would imagine that the deployment is still on-going. I would also imagine that if there is no demand for the product they would eventually delay or even cancel deployment in areas where it hasn't been yet deployed.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
Naw, it's a pretty good FUD argument -- remember marketing is about the 80% of people who are dullards and lack the ability to think critically for themselves.

I got an entire friggin magazine from AT&T touting Uverse and studied it closely. Nice pricing, but couldn't find out what the upload speed was for any of their internet tiers, and the lack of a dual HD tuner in the DVR was a put off. I really don't care to watch SD content any more, and certainly can't imagine wanting to record 4 channels at once.
brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

cool

Looks like a futuristic mail box.

jchambers28

join:2007-05-12
Alma, AR

1 edit

comcast ad

Thats funny and thats takes the cake right there

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2

With the consent of the owner?

The VRADs are indeed large, cabinet-like boxes. But AT&T, in its complaint, says the boxes each serve up to 750 homes and only occasionally are placed on private property with the consent of the owner.
Do they mean that most of the time the VRADs are placed on private property without the consent of the owner?
Or is AT&T actually saying in a court filing that they will cancel plans to place a VRAD in an easement if the property owner does not want it there?
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher
EPS4

join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

Re: With the consent of the owner?

Perhaps by "private property" they mean "private property without an easement"?
Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

said by EPS4:

Perhaps by "private property" they mean "private property without an easement"?
some of them are on city / county land.
EngineerDave

join:2001-08-27
Birmingham, AL
There is a lease agreement when a cabinet is placed on private property.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
In the picture for this story, the box is placed on the treelawn. In Detroit and surrounding area, that is owned by the city. Though many people don't see to know that. The city routinely comes along and rips up treelawns when they are doing some street work, or putting in a new sign, etc. Eventually they will seed it again with some crap seed...
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO

Tree lawns are normally public property, but the picture looks like the VRAD is on the private side of the sidewalk to me.

BabyBear
Keep wise ...with Nite-Owl

join:2007-01-11

Nice forced prespective!

Guess they could have taken the picture from a little lower perspective and would have made the VRAD look 2 stories tall, maybe hang one of those flying screaming monkeys off the side. King Kong style!

Typical of just about all ads now a days misleading without any substantive info.

My VRAD box isn't much bigger than the neighborhood POTS box that's also connected to a 3 story wooden pole.
openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany

Re: Nice forced prespective!

I have yet to see AT&T stick any box around here in front of someone's house. Every installation that I've seen is either conveniently masked by trees and surroundings and/or in unoccupied lots where the closest house is at least a block away.

JTRockville
Data Ho
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-28
Rockville, MD

Why doesn't ATT run rebuttal ads with cable plant pictures

I'm sure Jonathon Kramer would give reprint permission for these:
»kramerfirm.com/pictures/displayi···up&pos=0

keyboard5684
Sam

join:2001-08-01
Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Why doesn't ATT run rebuttal ads with cable plant pictures

Those are buried boxes (supposed to be closed BTW) and usually only stick up about 2 feet. They are about 8 inches by 8 inches in size. Also, those that you posted are usually used in areas like trailer parks or areas where a straight buried line can be put in place from dwelling to dwelling.

There is no comparison here. I would much rather have a big box in my yard than all these freaking wires the cable companies put on poles. I dream of a day where I can drive up the street and not see any wires hanging anywhere. It has gotten so bad here (electric, cable, telco, other providers fiber, more fiber, more fiber) it looks like a bad day at a data center.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

AT&T should retort....

"The VRADS may be big, but we don't use Sandvine and we don't hate P2P."

snipper_cr
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

Re: AT&T should retort....

They probably hate P2P just as much as the next ISP, if not for the burden on the network the legal treats from the MPAA/RIAA.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by ptrowski:

Hmm, »www.slyck.com/story1640_ATT_P2P_···Consumer
--
"Don't steal. The government hates competition."

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

said by BillRoland:

said by ptrowski:

Hmm, »www.slyck.com/story1640_ATT_P2P_···Consumer
You might want to read that article more closely. Nowhere in that article did they say they would even come to a successful fruition on it. There is some big questions to answer.

• If you witness a crime and did nothing are you liable?
• What's morally right?
• What's legally right?

That's about what I got out of the article. There's no clear answers. I don't expect it to come to fruition till there is clear answers. Which could take months to years.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
They are just planning on filtering everything.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Planning on and actively doing and lying about are two different things.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

said by ptrowski:

Planning on and actively doing and lying about are two different things.
I count three.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction

join:2002-01-22

response

snicker.

ctceo
Premium
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN
Reviews:
·Virgin Mobile Br..

Pretty

Can't be any prettier than those comcast boxes that are pryed open by techs who loose the keys, ran into by cars, kicked by frustrated property owners, and then covered up with trash bag looking covers & duct tape, wires still hanging out and holes in the ground all over where they had wires ripped up from vandals who saw their opportunity.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA

Re: Pretty

Or the houses Comcast techs blow up. They look particularly ugly.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD

please, Please, PLEASE . . .

. . . put one in my yard.
R62006

join:2006-05-03
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit

Re: please, Please, PLEASE . . .

No big deal REALLY..it's just blocking my window

Combat Chuck
Too Many Cannibals
Premium
join:2001-11-29
Verona, PA

No really, I don't think I can see what your talking about. Can you maybe post a bigger image, because clearly the one you posted wasn't big enough.

phatlazybum
What in the world?
Premium
join:2002-02-04
Newport News, VA
Reminds me of a Rubbermaid storage cabinet, for some reason
bogey7806

join:2004-03-19
Here
Looks like they put extra effort into making it look presentable. Considering that there's literally thousands of people with old rusted Western Electric crossboxes that do not even try and look aesthetically pleasing outside their window on old street corners.

HotRodFoto
Premium
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO
And where in Europe was this taken at??

Squished

@1scom.net

Judging by the filename (Outdoor_DSLAM_Endstufe), it is in Germany.

That was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the photo... Europe.

battleop

join:2005-09-28

3 words. Pot, Kettle, Black

So Am I imagining things when I see metal battery boxes on telephone poles every half mile that belong to the cable company?

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

2 recommendations

It sure beats the box one Comcast customer got

I bet Janice Ordidge would rather have the VRAD box....

•••••

DaddyyoursIam

@sbcglobal.net

Lame

Comcast seriously needs to get a better marketing group. If this is their new strategy. Suppose next it will be a ad bashing the FCC for being "biased".

Old_Grouch
Don't just sit there silly DO something
Premium
join:2004-05-26
Greenwood, IN

I'm no at&t fan ---- but

It took three days for me to get Comcast to answer the phone for a service question. And, I had to lie to the voice response unit and claim to be calling for new service to get past the "...we are very busy, please call at another time.".

at&t has seen the writing on the wall and many of the new boxes are far smaller and placed a bit more discretely. Guess it dawned on them that even when you win some fights, you really lose.

--
At Team Discovery we know how to get more outta that danged 'puter of yours!
If you paid taxes it's a rebate. If you didn't, it's welfare.
notwrth10

join:2007-03-03
1001EB

Re: I'm no at&t fan ---- but

said by Old_Grouch:

It took three days for me to get Comcast to answer the phone for a service question.
Only three? you are lucky. My parents called and called and called and called and called (repeat 50x) and finally when they had enough they called at&t.

said by Old_Grouch:

And, I had to lie to the voice response unit and claim to be calling for new service to get past the "...we are very busy, please call at another time.".
I did that for my parents too. My parents finally got tired of calling them. I just kept pressing digits just to see where it would go. Comcast finally took the modem back and gave them credit to their accounts.

Only took 3 months to do this, and only one post on comcastmustdie.com to get it accomplished!

I was impressed, should have done it on twitter. Probably would have gotten a faster response!

koma3504
Advocate
Premium
join:2004-06-22
North Richland Hills, TX

Re: I'm no at&t fan ---- but

Hmm maybee ill go make some post on twitter.

dlayphoto

join:2005-01-05
Cleveland, OH

The growing U-Verse revolt in Cleveland

People are getting fed up with U-Verse in Cleveland, especially in Lakewood, where more of the hideous VRAD boxes are going up than originally planned:

»www.dlayphoto.com/behindthelens/···u-verse/
--
www.dlayphoto.com
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Re: The growing U-Verse revolt in Cleveland

There are several of those near my house that are like that. Just dropped along the street in front of people's homes. if they're smaller they have at least 4 of them together and they're still putting them up every 3 of 4 blocks. I thought these things could handle 700customers per box? it doesnt seem that when you start seeing them pop up every few streets.
moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

So where is the outrage from the cable companies?

Has anyone seen the Direct TV commercials showing the inside of the cable company boardroom where they make up stats and blame the customers for their low ratings?

F Foster

@covad.net

Make Lemonaide from ugly lemons

In my city where the entire city has been ruined with these ugly boxes the local paper has started a decorating box contest. The winner gets dinner for two, their designed produced and wrapped, and the box will be the center of their float in the Fourth of July parade.

Meanwhile the papers Lawyers are looking at starting a class action suit against AT&T with other communities to bring and end to this abuse.

»lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewt···p?t=2696

»lakewoodobserver.com/forum/viewt···p?t=6192

•••••••