spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-05-06 16:15:28: A Comcast insider tells me the company is considering implementing very clear monthly caps, and may begin charging overage fees for customers who cross them. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 11 · 12 · 13 · next

pizz
1gbps is all the rage.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY

Cable companies need to wake up

By going to a tiered bandwidth plan, you're just going to make it that much easier to switch to DSL. They only people you will have left are the one's who cannot get DSL.

Chuckles0
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Saint Paul, MN

Rollover...

There should be some type of roll over MBs/GBs.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
join:2001-08-02
Michigan City, IN

1 edit
250mb? LOL if that's not a type-o, then DAMN that's fucked up.

Good thing I have atat dsl available.

Edit: I see it was a type-o..still 250gb is not shit these days..with game consoles being more online featured/downloads and computer updates then your regular surfing habits..

Why is Comcast even upgrading users to 16/2 50/5 if they can't even handle 6/384 8/768?
--
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdYueIC1pjM

FiL
Premium
join:2005-08-16
Silver Spring, MD

1 edit

What a GREAT number...

damn, typo... lol, still, Comcast is only here to dick the consumers.

gsm8

join:2004-09-29
Renton, WA

Get a job

if you have a full time job you should be ok I am lucky I can get 45 to 56gb a month and most of that is from when I reformat my desktop

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

Doesn't affect upload?

I thought Comcast said that P2P traffic was bringing their network to its knees? So they are asserting it's not the UPSTREAM channels that are taking the beating, but the downstream? Wow.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to pizz

Re: Cable companies need to wake up

said by pizz:

By going to a tiered bandwidth plan, you're just going to make it that much easier to switch to DSL. They only people you will have left are the one's who cannot get DSL.
And what makes you think that DSL providers won't follow suit? Once a big ISP like Comcast and TW do this, the rest will follow.

And that 250GB should be plenty. The biggest month I ever had was about 12 GB up & down combined and that was watching a few TV shows online I missed on TV and downloading one of those infamous linux distros.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

STrRedWolf

join:2006-06-18
Severn, MD

250MEG?

250 Meg?!? That's XP Service Pack 3! It better be 250 Gig. Talk about worse than satelite!

STrRedWolf

join:2006-06-18
Severn, MD
Correction, it's 250 gig. That's better. Only 50 times that of AT&T's semi-cap of 5 gig on their 3G cards.

FLengineer
CCNA, CEH, MCSA
Premium
join:2007-06-26
Leesburg, FL

1 edit

Kudos

Grats Comcast.

This is a solution that is perfectly legal and not in violation of Net Neutrality. However I hope Comcast is going to provide a way for the average user to check on their usage. Most people don't know how to log into their router, and some routers don't record this data.

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to pizz

said by pizz:

The only people you will have left are the one's who cannot get DSL.
... or the overwhelming majority of folks who never consume > 250GB/month.

netwire
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Shelby, NC
kudos:1

Not bad at all...

250GB per month is a lot of bandwidth for one person to consume. Heck, I don't even use anywhere near 12GB per month and I have two people using the internet. IMO, anyone that's using that much per month either is doing it for business reasons or file sharing.
--
World of Warcraft - My anti-drug.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN

1 recommendation

I guess you never heard of a "networked home" Or updates/downloads for games. Or system updates/Linux downloads.

If this does in fact take place, I will be switching.
--

satellite68

join:2007-04-11
Louisville, KY
said by ztmike:

I guess you never heard of a "networked home" Or updates/downloads for games. Or system updates/Linux downloads.

I guess you've never heard of "Business Class Service". Or "SLA's". Or "Contracts". Or "Paying for What you Get".

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

Tell me more

It seems reasonable, but I'd first want to see
1}An accurate useage meter (including useage history, to see how my usage fits the plan
2} What useage counts against the cap (i.e. Do comcast driven sites and ads "cost" me?)
3} The opportunity to buy a high cap/ flat rate or lower plan for less $(works best where a third party (work) pays your bill)
4} more details

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to FLengineer

Re: Kudos

I can see now all the claims of the bandwidth meter being off or not working.

EPS4

join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA
reply to espaeth

If the telcos spin this the right way, then they could manage to scare a bunch of users who would never ever hit their caps anyway to think they could get booted for downloading.

Of course, that assumes the telcos don't want to cap. However, I'd be somewhat surprised, because the networks are so different. DSL and B/GPON are shared mediums like any DOCSIS system, but the methods through which they are shared leaves the telcos with much greater capacity for the speeds they deliver.

If, out of some sheer hatred for the consumer or something, they decide to cap, then obviously they won't be promoting their superiority over the cablecos for not capping, and people won't switch because the remaining uncapped options are less desirable for various reasons.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

Now we're talking..

I've always said that Comcast's "invisible" caps was a good thing because if they made the caps known, then they would lower them to something like 60GB, otherwise all the abusers would use exactly that amount per month.

250GB is PLENTY PER MONTH. Would be nice if we could have a website where we can see our monthly usage.
--
www.rr.cx | YourIP.US | MySite.cx

It's cool, I'm takin it back
Premium
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

where

is Rick See Profile??

EPS4

join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA
reply to FFH5

The question is, why would a DSL provider cap when they don't have to? While I understand that DSL is also shared, it doesn't seem to have the same level limitations as DOCSIS 1.1 (which most of Comcast uses IIRC) that lead Comcast to think of capping.

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA

1 recommendation

Well.

Now shit, was it that hard? Took them what? 3 years to finally publish this?

LowRider

join:2006-06-23
Douglasville, GA

What ever happened to Docsis 3

well guess there not going to build there pipes for that and just do a temp fix like AT&T. Na but for real, if this is the case what happens when Dosis3 come out to all the users? will the caps still be in place? we need more answers

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage

2 recommendations

reply to FFH5

said by FFH5:

said by pizz:

And that 250GB should be plenty. The biggest month I ever had was about 12 GB up & down combined and that was watching a few TV shows online I missed on TV and downloading one of those infamous linux distros.
I really dislike when people say what should be enough for someone else. That's great that you only use 12GB. Perhaps it's just you in your house, and a significant other. Then again, you have other people, homes with parents, 4 teenagers, Netflix movie downloads, etc.
--
And so castles made of sand, slip into the sea, eventually.

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

greg523

@comcast.net

once this happens im dumping comcast

att has been calling every other month about the new u-verse service thats available in my area. since right now comcast seems to be faster i decided not to change, but if they are going to make a 250gb cap there is no point in staying with them at least with u-verse i will be able to use my service as much as i want and not be ripped off by having to pay extra if i go over the cap limit

MontananIce

join:2008-04-21
Salt Lake City, UT

250MB

I use a videoconferencing machine. At 384Kbps a second, I would hit the 250MB in mere minutes. This story must mean 250 GB cap not a 250MB. I hope...

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
reply to Matt3

Re: Doesn't affect upload?

because Comcast upstream is so pathetic , they dont mention it.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

said by pizz:

The only people you will have left are the one's who cannot get DSL.
... or the overwhelming majority of folks who never consume > 250GB/month.
When they don't have enough people paying the extra fee, they will lower the standards to get the next 0.1%.

Just another marketing ploy for the competition.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to ptrowski

Re: Kudos

said by ptrowski:

I can see now all the claims of the bandwidth meter being off or not working.
Yep, I can see that happening too. How would you dispute your bandwidth amount of your own meters disagreed with Comcast's?

How would you account for all the unrequested bandwidth (like spam) that is sent to the end user?

Would Windows Update be exempt?
--
And so castles made of sand, slip into the sea, eventually.

I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey
reply to Rob

Re: Now we're talking..

that would be good customer service, i dont think comcast would provide a meter.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium
Michigan City, IN
reply to satellite68

Re: Not bad at all...

said by satellite68:

said by ztmike:

I guess you've never heard of "Business Class Service". Or "SLA's". Or "Contracts". Or "Paying for What you Get".
Business class service? lol i wouldnt call a home connection any of those things, but if their going to offer the speed and MORE speed why limit it? I see alot of customers leaving comcast, and thats why they never published a cap.
--