spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-05-30 09:44:19: Yesterday I reported how hackers had managed to compromise Comcast's domain information at Network Solutions, destroying millions of Comcast customers' ability to reach the Comcast portal, webmail and official forums. Wired News has a conversation.. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

devnuller

join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

ugh

"I wasn't even really thinking. Plus, I'm just so mad at Comcast. I'm tired of their shitty service."

So negativly impact all their customers... nice move. Another thing they could have done was just cancel service.

pissed

@mycingular.net

thanks for really providing crappy service...

I have been unable to check my email via pop3 on any network other than my home wifi (comcast) for almost 48 hours as a result of this nonsense. I'm happy that they "stuck it to comcast" but not at the expense of f-ing up other users services. Stupid script kiddies...

pissed

@mycingular.net

amen!

well stated...

lordofwhee

join:2007-10-21
Everett, WA

1 recommendation

reply to devnuller

Re: ugh

This is one of the very few ways the average joe (or in this case, the average hacker joe) can make a statement to a giant corporation that will actually be heard.

kingofdsl

join:2002-12-11
Indianapolis, IN
reply to devnuller

Although questionable whether going to jail for Federal crimes is worth the effort I am not surprised by people getting to this point of fed up with not just Comcast but all the corporations wringing more and more money out of the American consumer promising the world and delivering peanuts.

There will be a lot more of this

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK
reply to devnuller

Safe to say their service will be canceled pretty soon or more like their parent's service will be canceled and they won't be very happy. I see a very bright future for these 2 idiots.
--
»www.seabee.navy.mil

Tap45

join:2003-06-08
Puyallup, WA

Anything can be Hacked

Don't know why someone who's supposed to be tech savvy would be so arrogant. Reminds me of Todd Davis that Lifelock guy who gave out his social security number and dared anyone to steal his identity. Then someone did.

Uncle Paul

join:2003-02-04
USA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Off to jail

I consider this a theft and should be dealt with accordingly. At the very minimum the value of the theft should be based on the resource value Comcast had to expend to determine and fix the hack. That should easily place it in the fed area.

pissed

@mycingular.net

agreed. And the worst part is that it's still not entirely fixed!

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN

1 edit

He lives in my state

I guess I should go visit him before he goes to jail.

He is right down the road from me in terms of the size of this planet.

Great photo too:
»blog.wired.com/.shared/image.htm···bong.jpg

FiL
Premium
join:2005-08-16
Silver Spring, MD
reply to Uncle Paul

Re: Off to jail

lol...

yock
TFTC
Premium
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3

Kids...

An 18 year old kid with an attitude problem of his own justifies violating someone else's property by their reaction to a threat. Someone should just jerk a knot in his tail and go on with life.
--
Laughter is the closest distance between two people. --Victor Borge
Lynch All Liars

yock
TFTC
Premium
Miamisburg, OH
kudos:3
reply to lordofwhee

said by lordofwhee:

This is one of the very few ways the average joe (or in this case, the average hacker joe) can make a statement to a giant corporation that will actually be heard.
The only thing anyone hears from this is that some kid can't resolve his problems rationally.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

Comcast Technical Contact!

These guys shouldn't get a pass but does anyone else think the Comcast technical contact/manager should have been a little more proactive about this? Rather than blowing them off maybe he should have at least checked some things. I think if I were a Comcast Exec this guy might be handed his walking papers if what the hackers said is true.

extreme100
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Coloma, MI

1 recommendation

Ouch...

Our hacker hero should visit a dentist and have his front teeth removed before he goes to prison since that would be less painful than the way Bubba's boys will remove them.
--
Comcast has spoiled me rotten!

caco
Premium
join:2005-03-10
Whittier, AK
reply to knightmb

Re: He lives in my state

He will be smoking more bongs in jail real soon.
--
»www.seabee.navy.mil

texans20
Premium
join:2002-09-28
Texas!

1 recommendation

reply to extreme100

Re: Ouch...

I do hope they catch this stupid kid, and tech him a lesson. I bet he will cry all the way to prison.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 recommendations

reply to devnuller

said by devnuller:

"I wasn't even really thinking. Plus, I'm just so mad at Comcast. I'm tired of their shitty service."

So negativly impact all their customers... nice move. Another thing they could have done was just cancel service.
I hope the FBI tracks them down and throws their sorry butts in prison. We'll see if they are still laughing then.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL
reply to Uncle Paul

Theft is probably a bad analogy, more like vandalism.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jbob

Re: Comcast Technical Contact!

said by jbob:

These guys shouldn't get a pass but does anyone else think the Comcast technical contact/manager should have been a little more proactive about this? Rather than blowing them off maybe he should have at least checked some things. I think if I were a Comcast Exec this guy might be handed his walking papers if what the hackers said is true.
I probably would have blown them off too - but not before I recorded their account # for safe keeping.

FicmanS
Premium
join:2005-01-11
Brownsburg, IN
reply to jbob

Agreed...

Somebody should have a HARD look into how this all went down and drop the hammer if indeed this pans out to be true...

Sury

@online-age.net
reply to caco

said by caco:

He will be smoking more bongs in jail real soon.
This doesn't even make sense!

pissed

@mycingular.net
reply to halfband

I disagree.. My ability to send and receive email has been stolen during this outage. It should be considered theft of services since I have paid for functionality that still has not been restored.

Modsquad

join:2003-01-21
Spring, TX

1 recommendation

reply to yock

You must not have ever tried to rationally resolve an issue with Comcast. It's next to impossible. Here in the Houston metro area, we had Time Warner/Road Runner service & they were bought out by Comcrap...errr, Comcast and let me tell you, the service is night & day different. It took them two weeks just to call me back to tell me if I could even get service in my subdivision that's at least 6 years old and I have friends down the street with their service. Then trying to get my own cable modem (which was the exact same model as the ones they hand out at the store front) I couldn't even get it online, for at least 4 weeks now....and I go get one of theirs, and it doesn't work about 90% of the time because the tech that came out initially didn't balance the connection or check for interference.

I have been transferred to every department & it never got resolved....I've went thru a few thousand 'roll over' minutes I had stored up on my cell phone....(i don't have a land line) so yes, it's VERY frustrating having to call back & get some NEW moron & having to spend countless amounts of time RE-explaining the situation because they are not adept enough to escalate you to someone that CAN fix the damn problem or at least have someone contact you that can.

I don't know HOW the hell they stay in business with the crappy customer service they have.

jvanbrecht

join:2007-01-08
Bowie, MD
reply to pissed

No, it is vandalism. Just like say.. vandalizing parking meters (and before you say you don't pay for them.. you do, through your taxes), just because you cannot use it, and you may or may not get a parking ticket, does not make it theft, but vandalism.

Modsquad

join:2003-01-21
Spring, TX
reply to Uncle Paul

And I guess I should file a theft suit against comcast for not delivering the product I've been paying for?

halfband
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to Sury

The picture of him in the linked story shows him with a bong.
--

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to lordofwhee

said by lordofwhee:

It's a shame that you have to do something that will put you in prison in order to get Comcast to listen to you.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

halfband
Premium
Huntsville, AL
reply to pissed

Slash your tires you can not use your car either. Cut your power line, your electrical service is gone. Vandalism often has the consequence of denying the use of something. While there is liability on the part of the vandals for the lost service, it is not classified in the legal system as theft.
--

taar

reply to caco

I am sure they covered their tracks pretty well before doing this. No doubt they will eventually be caught but i have a feeling it will be from them boasting all over the net instead of a trace of the IP address where the attack originated.

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next