dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-06-18 08:52:31: Verizon e-mailed me this morning to note that the company has now expanded their 50Mbps/20Mbps FiOS tier into their entire footprint. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Other Speeds Bumped Up As Well

You missed the information where they will also be bumping all markets up to the same markets.

VA and others will be bumped from 5/2 to 10/2 and 15/2 to 20/5.

kfsutops
Premium Member
join:2002-08-19
Lutz, FL

kfsutops

Premium Member

And when the tiered pricing hits, the limits will be 20 and 50 gig a month.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 edit

tp0d to kes601

Premium Member

to kes601
sweeeeeeeeeeet

I knew getting 5/2 would pay off. Though I`ve been happy with the speeds, the 10/2 is warmly welcomed.

Now, I just wonder how long the rollout will take.. heh..

limits? caps you mean? I would think they would cap upload first, I havent seen anything with mine maxed for almost a month now. I`ll have to get into the logs to see how many gigs, but at 220k, that can add up.

-j
Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

Rick5

Premium Member

Very nice...

Broadband the way it's intended.

My only critique would be why such a price difference between the markets?
89/mo. to 139.00 seems a bit unfair to those outside the 89/mo. markets.

The 65/mo. 20/20 tier is a nice deal however and they're definitely firing some warning shots over the cable co's bow.

If the cable co's needed any wake up call to spur on their docsis 3.0 rollouts..this is it. While still only available in a part of their territory..Verizon really has the right idea here with fios and the competition is going to be fierce.

And, to Verizon and their Execs..I'd like to extend a warm welcome for you to cross those NY and Mass. lines and come rolling right on into the great state of Ct.

This state really needs a telco with vision.

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

Looking forward to it next week

50Mb/20Mb will be sweet.
mjwise
join:2007-05-09
Ann Arbor, MI

1 recommendation

mjwise

Now that's funny...

Verizon's lowest FIOS tier is now faster (10/2) than AT&T's highest U-Verse tier (10/1.5).

anon219
@comcast.net

anon219 to kfsutops

Anon

to kfsutops

Re: Other Speeds Bumped Up As Well

Caps on fios? lol..Not anytime soon..there's people on fios that hit 1TB in a month, and not a peep from Verizon.

I wonder what this will do for cable in those markets..Comcast fastest tier is 16/2 ..the 50/5 is still a joke and is STILL limited to Comcast "reasonable network management" as they call it..

Verizon has this in the palm of their hands.
ossito16
join:2004-07-31
Whiting, IN

ossito16

bundle pricing or solo

$140 for Internet only? Do I get some tv or phone usage from that? I pay $45 monthly (for 5mbps/768kbps) and think that is too much. Other than being able to run my own neighborhood hotspot to subsidize costs, how can I take advantage of that kind of bandwidth?

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN

Verizon who?

Any kind of residential services from Verizon is a figment of my imagination. I have no clue where Verizon's footprint begins around the Chicagoland area. Does anyone know?... Anyone?...Anyone?... Bueller?...Bueller?

trent7
join:2005-11-28
Philadelphia, PA

trent7

Comcast reaction?!

Hopefully we'll see a reaction from Comcast. Maybe bump up the upload speed a bit on the Blast tier.

I believe that Blast (16/2) is in the same price range as FIOS 15/2 which now became 20/5. It would be nice if Comcast tries to narrow down the gap a bit on the upload front.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

Small towns.

I don't think I'll ever get Verizon because of where I live, so who knows???!!!??? Madera just won't get it, but I could be wrong.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo

And you get pizza with that service...

I notice that image was a pizza box. Do they have a menu posted online as well?
eric87m
join:2003-12-07
Washington, DC

2 edits

eric87m

cheapers

I want my 20/5 boosted...

grydlok
join:2004-01-06
Richmond, VA

grydlok to tp0d

to tp0d

Re: Other Speeds Bumped Up As Well

I knew it to that why after my contract was up I switched to 5/2 from 15/2. Now I will be going back to 10/2.

CurGeorge8
join:2005-05-02
South Park, PA

CurGeorge8 to Madtown

to Madtown

Re: Small towns.

I don't think Verizon's opposed to small town deployment ..... so long as it's an extremly wealthy small town
atowncrazy
join:2001-11-17
Carrollton, TX

atowncrazy to CUBS_FAN

to CUBS_FAN

Re: Verizon who?

Verizon footprint in the chicago area is rockford to the north. Dekalb to the west and sycamore to possibly sandwich to the southwest. and the rest is rural illinois. bloomington, peoria etc.
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to CurGeorge8

Premium Member

to CurGeorge8

Re: Small towns.

What would you consider an extremely wealthy small town???
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

1 recommendation

nasadude to trent7

to trent7

Re: Comcast reaction?!

said by trent7:

Hopefully we'll see a reaction from Comcast. Maybe bump up the upload speed a bit on the Blast tier.
what's the point?

comcast is talking about caps and throttling; other than being able to advertise faster speeds, the only benefit to customers silly enough to pay more money will be the ability to hit the cap faster. And when they throttle, you wouldn't get the faster speeds anyway. if you are in no danger of hitting the cap, you probably don't need faster speeds anyway.

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN to atowncrazy

to atowncrazy

Verizon has a long way to making into Chicago. All the cities you mentioned are like 90 minute drives for me on the North Side. Rockford is like 2 hours away.
ShadezeRO
join:2006-04-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

ShadezeRO to mjwise

to mjwise

Re: Now that's funny...

I believe this article was about GOOD services
..next we'll start hearing people compare it to dialup XD

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to nasadude

Premium Member

to nasadude

said by nasadude:

said by trent7:

what's the point?

comcast is talking about caps and throttling; other than being able to advertise faster speeds, the only benefit to customers silly enough to pay more money will be the ability to hit the cap faster. And when they throttle, you wouldn't get the faster speeds anyway. if you are in no danger of hitting the cap, you probably don't need faster speeds anyway.
Faster Speeds =! Reaching Caps Faster
DoctorBit
join:2007-12-29
Culver City, CA

DoctorBit

Schadenfreude

I'll bet the MPAA and RIAA will love this! Heh heh. With the 20/20 tier and bit torrent, one could fill up an entire 1 TB hard drive in six days and seed to 200% in another six. That's about 3000 hours of movies, TV shows, etc...

Seriously, I'll bet the hard drive manufacturing companies will see revenues up big time.

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather to ossito16

Premium Member

to ossito16

Re: bundle pricing or solo

In most markets, the top tier (30Mb or 50Mb) is $140 for internet only. The 10Mb (currently 5Mb) runs $43 if you have VZ phone service $48 without phone service.

I use mine for HD VOD, and cloud based work at home (typically large Filemaker databases and even shared Quickbooks files which aren't designed for web based sharing). 30/15 makes it not much different than working with FM and QBooks over a LAN. It's sweet. But if I wasn't using it for work, I wouldn't shell out $140 for it. I'd get one of the $60ish synchronous plans.
Dogfather

Dogfather to trent7

Premium Member

to trent7

They will be able to match but it will require some more improvements like widespread deployment of SDV and channel bonding to ramp the speeds up to individual users. But it's certainly possible.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak

Premium Member

20/20

I'll tell you fellas, I have the 20/20 package from Surewest and it pretty much ROCKKKKKKS!

CurGeorge8
join:2005-05-02
South Park, PA

CurGeorge8 to Dogfather

to Dogfather

What service are you using for HD VOD?

borv
Onemhz On Aim
join:2000-10-06
Astoria, NY

borv

availability in NYC?

Has anyone heard when we will be getting FIOS in NYC?
Any estimates? Any verizon rep I speak to has no such information...

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

4 edits

Dogfather to CurGeorge8

Premium Member

to CurGeorge8

Microsoft XBL Marketplace, Apple iTunes Movie Rentals and DirecTV On Demand which I got a few weeks ago. Most of DTV's VOD stuff is standard def but some of their PPV movies are HD. Movies typically run in the 5GB range and at 30Mb/s I can start watching them immediately after ordering just like cable VOD was.

I read that the Netflix Roku box is capable of HD, but Netflix just doesn't offer the content.
zenafu
join:2007-06-12
Brooklyn, NY

zenafu

The forgotten ones...

As a Verizon DSL customer living in a non-FiOs-capable neighborhood, every time I read stories about great improvements in speeds to FiOs subscribers my eyes bulge out of their sockets; my blood boils then shoots out of my ears and a little bit of my soul dies. I even tried in vein to get the measly 7.1 "upgrade" and was told, "sorry, not available in your area", which I heard as, "sorry, you're sh!t out of luck and will dwell in the land of 3megs down for all eternity! HaHa!" Well, it's great that all the FiOs subscribers will no doubt enjoy their new speedier connections but I just wanna say, @#$#%@#$%;;#@$%.

odreian615
join:2006-01-18
Chicago, IL

odreian615 to CUBS_FAN

to CUBS_FAN

Cubs_Fan I am in the same boat stuck in Att land
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next