dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-06-21 14:39:10: Citywide wireless network provider MetroFi announced earlier this month that it couldn’t afford to continue operating the networks that it had deployed in Portland and other cities in the United States. ..

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer

Premium Member

I'll buy it...

for $1
so much for municipal "keeping up with the Jones'"

chronoss20081
Premium Member
join:2008-03-29

chronoss20081

Premium Member

d

yah see that if you actually increase speeds like much of the USA is now starting to see
wifi looks awful, speeds are slow , security is bad, etc.

Notice how the speed kill in canada is on and htey all want wifi up here,
no security = snoooopy
slower speeds = huge gouging profits and this all goes to a few people who DO NOT SHARE BACK to the economy so in effect its net is to harm the ecnomy at enrichment of a very few , whom btw should be all dead in about 10-15 years the way they live.

RayW
Premium Member
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT

RayW

Premium Member

Maybe the City should take it over and operate as a service?

Oh, wait, that is illegal and unfair competition. Plus regulations being what they are, I think by law a normal governmental agency has to be inefficient and not cost effective (personal experience from being on both sides of the fence).

Killler Maxxx

Anon

Incomplete Story

Where is the rest of this news story ? How were they planning to finance it's operation before they built it, and where did that financing go ?

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Portland in What State?

Portland in what state?

William5
Premium Member
join:2007-09-22
Washougal, WA

William5

Premium Member

2nd link (no buyer) mentions "Portland mayor Tom Potter".

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Oh I went to the first link, "announced", figured it should state there. Even so, people from other areas may not which Portland Tom Potter is mayor of.

Anyway thanks, that clears it up for me at least.

NoOneCares
join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR

NoOneCares to Killler Maxxx

to Killler Maxxx

Re: Incomplete Story

said by Killler Maxxx :

Where is the rest of this news story ? How were they planning to finance it's operation before they built it, and where did that financing go ?
There were 2 ways to use the service. The 1st was "free", except it was supposed to display ads to a user.
The 2nd was for a monthly fee you could access the network without ads.

Unfortunately it got bad press because people found it difficult to even connect to the wireless devices.

The company wanted more money from the city and city wouldn't do it since they failed to meet their end of the contract.
Estragon
join:2003-06-20
Greenville, NH

Estragon to NOYB

to NOYB

Re: Portland in What State?

Isn't Portland in Maine? Identifying the mayor certainly doesn't help.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx to NOYB

to NOYB
Portland Oregon,

I have a laptop and bring it along during my Ebay runs but I never used the public network. One need to be 300ft from a AP and Outside. Looking at the map it would be hard to find place to park near an AP. Then again why bother there plenty of coffee shops with free wifi*. I can get a double shot while checking the web. The was another government white elephant. Good riddance.

* all are independent stores do buy something before using their WI-Fi.

littlej
@dal.net.va.gov

littlej to Estragon

Anon

to Estragon
There is a Portland, Maine, however the Portland Being referenced is Portland, Oregon which is the largest city in Oregon.