dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-07-01 09:43:20: In May, Connecticut's DPUC ruled that AT&T must get the approval of landowners and municipalities before it plunks down a controversial VRAD near (or on) a CT resident's lawn. ..

Rick5
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06

2 recommendations

Rick5

Premium Member

It's so hard to read the words that come..

out of this companies mouth about this.

"It's the cable industry" that's behind the vrad opposition they say.

Well..jeesh..I wonder if it might be the homeowners who have these refrigerators planted on their lawns and streets that really might be the ones with the problem?

AT&T..can you try to get a clue about this?
The problem people have with you is your bullying of communities..your "damned we're doing this whether you like it or not" attitude.

And your rollout of a project that should simply never have seen the light of day...AKA..Uverse.

Don't your executives read the news? Read the BBR forums?
Read ANYTHING about what is occurring in the industry?

HDTV and HSI..particularly for the NEXT generation simply isn't going to cut it delivered via old copper twisted pair lines.

And when you are shaking up communities installing these vrads to deliver something like that..it gives even more reason for people to say...WHY? And to say..it simply shouldn't be allowed.

People, Including myself..have no opposition whatsoever to what Verizon is doing. They are also disrupting communities..but doing so in such a way as to be RESPECTFUL to the communities..and RESPECTFUL to the law..and RESPECTFUL to what is truly a next generation product.

People in turn..can RESPECT that. And RESPECT the efforts of that company in their effort to compete.

This is not the CABLE INDUSTRY behind it.

It is PEOPLE..your potential CUSTOMERS..and non customers alike..who are behind it. And who are saying to you..

You need to change.
Or you are going to not make it.

You are not going to make it by blaming everyone else.

The blame sits squarely on your own shoulders. On the decision makers..who have devised such a poor..

such a failed strategy for tomorrows world.

As of last quarters report..you had amassed less than 400,000 customers for Uverse. Is that because of the cable industry? Is that because of rants of people like me who have been very vocal about this?

Or is it quite simply..that no one really wants what it is you have to sell?

I say it's the latter.

Without a doubt.

What is occurring here at BBR is a microcosm of the community. Look at the verizon forum talk. Look at the excitement around Fios. The people who want it..welcome it..
anticipate it.

And then look at Uverse forums and talk around this website.

The exact opposite for the most part.

AT&T..this is YOUR Fault.

No one elses.

Stop blaming people. And get with the program.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Re: It's so hard to read the words that come..

par·a·graph (pr-grf)
n.
1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.
2. A mark ( ¶ ) used to indicate where a new paragraph should begin or to serve as a reference mark.
3. A brief article, notice, or announcement, as in a newspaper.
tr.v. par·a·graphed, par·a·graph·ing, par·a·graphs
To divide or arrange into paragraphs.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

3 recommendations

Nightfall

MVM

said by battleop:

par·a·graph (pr-grf)
n.
1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.
2. A mark ( ¶ ) used to indicate where a new paragraph should begin or to serve as a reference mark.
3. A brief article, notice, or announcement, as in a newspaper.
tr.v. par·a·graphed, par·a·graph·ing, par·a·graphs
To divide or arrange into paragraphs.
Just looking at your past experience on these forums, I think even you could learn from your own definition.

Pot meet kettle?

battleop

battleop

I don't think you will ever see me posting one line ramblings like that.

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

He's used to working off talking points.
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

1 edit

93388818 (banned)

said by Dogfather:

He's used to working off talking points.
port9
join:2006-07-15
Cordova, TN

port9 to Dogfather

to Dogfather
I thought maybe this was taken from a power point presentation.

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

said by port9:

I thought maybe this was taken from a power point presentation.
Brian Roberts doesn't use Power Point...he only uses Crayon.

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus
join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

Transmaster to battleop

to battleop
What a butt munch, you can't fault what Rick said so instead you take the limp wristed way out by gracing us with your stunning ablilty to cut and paste crap from someplace else. In otherwords who died and made you the grammer God.
Expand your moderator at work
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806 to Transmaster

to Transmaster

Rick's been persistantly rebutted and proven wrong. He just says the exact same thing anytime someone mentions U-verse. So it's gotten to the point where there's no use arguing on the merits as Rick can't be honest anyway.
emptywig
Huh? What?
Premium Member
join:2002-08-05
Pasadena, TX

emptywig to Transmaster

Premium Member

to Transmaster
I don't care what he said, I'm sick of reading and listening to crap from people who cannot even comprehend the basics of sentence construction. Learn how to speak and write, or just keep it to yourself.

wig
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to battleop

to battleop
It is not fair to criticize someone for grammatical issues. At least they took the time to display their thoughts on this forum.

battleop

battleop

Read this »Why on Earth... and you will understand what I am talking about.

tomatoe
Premium Member
join:2002-08-03
Kansas City, MO

tomatoe

Premium Member

said by battleop:

Read this »Why on Earth... and you will understand what I am talking about.
Why do we have read other posts to figure out you're obviously just stalking Rick. Get a life. He made some very valid points.
bogey7806
Here

bogey7806

C'mon. 2002 and you don't know Rick? No one stalks him.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
I personally don't criticize his grammar, however, a well written and thought out statement typically makes a point clear, and more people will read concise statements.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by en102:

I personally don't criticize his grammar, however, a well written and thought out statement typically makes a point clear, and more people will read concise statements.
Very true story.
Rick5
Premium Member

Rick5 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I'm sorry. I didn't realize that I was entering a literary contest. I've always viewed my posts here at BBR as being more or less in blog form and the spaces in the post above were intended to place emphasis on each particular thought and opinion I expressed.

If that troubled you then please accept my apologies.

As a poster below notes however, I highly doubt it's that which troubles you. Instead, you and others continually stalk my posts regarding Uverse..seeking to undermine my posts and credibility with personal attacks rather than to address the issue at hand.

While you may see that as effective, personally I see it as falling on deaf ears. Because it's not what I say or think that is causing Uverse to be so unpopular, it's what the service is itself that is causing that.

As I noted above, nationwide....after all this time..as of their last quarterly report...AT&T managed to scrounge together 400,000 customers. And, I was even being generous with that number because the truth was even more shocking.
I say shocking because even as negative as I've been on the service from day one, I could never have imagined it would be THAT bad...given the size of this company and the huge parts of this country they serve. And, that's even with a roll out in their own corporate backyard where they probably spoon fed their employees the service like Kool aide at Jim Jones meeting.

Guess what? Let me clue you in about something if you haven't grasped it yet. Or, still refuse to grasp it.
That is a total failure. A washout of enormous proportions.

And anyone not accepting that still believes that Hillary will be President this year.

From virtually day one I have warned that this was absolutely the wrong road however for AT&T to go down. Here in my home state, this issue has been front and center stage, with vrads hanging off telephone polls and what seems to be a continual legal struggle for AT&T with regulators and the court. What we also are is home to cable providers like OOL and Comcast, who are delivering in terms of present and next generation speeds and services.And, we're surrounded by Verizon and their fios rollout.

Whether you choose to accept it or not, that gives me what I believe is a very unique perspective into not only the services themselves, but the way that each is approaching this from a business perspective.

Tell me, how could I not be negative..surrounded by the likes of Fios and fiber/coax networks with their amazing speeds and capabilities...and then compare that to an attempt such as AT&T is rolling out..clamping refrigerator sized boxes to telephone polls..to attach to old twisted pair copper lines?

I think that any REASONABLE, NON AT&T AFFILIATED...Technologically oriented person, would have exactly the same reaction that I have to it.

And that is, that it's simply a failure.

And I'm sorry to have to say that..because AT&T can, and should..do better.

~Rick
bogey7806
Here

bogey7806

Rick, you've been rebutted constantly in all your false assertions but you simply ignore them and prattle on. YOU said hysterically that VRADs were going to cause people to be injured or die in traffic accidents. Where are the body bags? You said it wasn't going to sell well. Well from launch their TV services is selling as well as Verizon's TV service at much lower cost to AT&T than FiOS is to Verizon.

You constantly hemhaw about the details and tyou've reached the point where you're more of a joke than aything else. You're completely mental.
Rick5
Premium Member

1 edit

Rick5

Premium Member

lol. I guess when the facts aren't there to support your rants..you just make them up.

I said "hysterically" that people were going to die in traffic accidents because of Vrads?

LOL! You're really grasping at new lows in your attempt to discredit me with that statement.

And, the funny thing is, you say I've been rebutted "repeatedly"..but I have yet to see one at all. Just wild statements like this one.

And, it's because you well know that the numbers as of last quarter were exactly as I have stated. And that I was even being generous at that.

After all this time..less than 400,000 customers.

What a disaster Uverse is.

~Rick

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

We won't be signing up for Uverse for much the same reason we won't be signing up for Comcast TV: DirecTV has been very good to us.

Alas, Comcast penalizes you for not bundling TV with their Internet service.
bogey7806
Here

bogey7806 to Rick5

to Rick5
You can deny that around this time last year you said that VRADs would cause accidents.

Why not.

You're a known liar and have no credibility.

Also you consistently ignore that AT&T Uverse started a whole year later than FiOS.

btw... I typed this in your poorly formed style hoping that it'd help you read it better.
bogey7806

bogey7806 to Rick5

to Rick5
Hell with it, I was going to let you deny it outright first but you kinda already did...

»Re: I couldn't believe my eyes.....
said by Rick5:

The only impact i'm worried about when it comes to Uverse is that a car might swerve and hit one of those monstrosities hanging off of telephone poles at street level.

It's sure to kill someone.
bogey7806

bogey7806

And that concludes this show as Rick has run off... again.
Cod2
join:2000-07-05
Kernersville, NC

Cod2

said by bogey7806:

And that concludes this show as Rick has run off... again.
:pokes head back in sand:

supergirl
join:2007-03-20
Pensacola, FL

supergirl to Rick5

to Rick5
Actually, with the massive foreclosures, property values suck anyway and AT&T is deploying this stuff where nobody will live anymore soon.

Personally, I think AT&T should pay rent if you don't use them. If they don't pay rent, you can always have some crooked salvage yard come and get that box. Or, you can make sure the water sprinkler hits it 4 hours a day at night.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

yock

Premium Member

said by supergirl:

Actually, with the massive foreclosures, property values suck anyway and AT&T is deploying this stuff where nobody will live anymore soon.
Actually, there are U-Verse cabinets behind my girlfriend's apartment, so they're servicing rental properties too.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to supergirl

MVM

to supergirl
said by supergirl:

Or, you can make sure the water sprinkler hits it 4 hours a day at night.
"Oh, it rained all day, the night I left,
the weather it was dry. The sun so hot I froze to death..."

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

yock to Rick5

Premium Member

to Rick5
In order to spin this as a positive they needed a villain, and that villain could never be their customers. So they blame a faceless entity that can't defend itself: the cable industry.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by yock:

So they blame a faceless entity that can't defend itself: the cable industry.
"Slowskys". "More fiber than the telcos". I think you left off the sarcasm tags.

••••••
MyDogHsFleas
Premium Member
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX

1 recommendation

MyDogHsFleas to Rick5

Premium Member

to Rick5
Yo, Rick, there is one small fact you seem to have overlooked:

AT&T installs in EASEMENTS.

Where they have the RIGHT to install.

Under CONTRACT.

That they have PAID FOR.

And, now, AFTER THE FACT, the homeowners come crying:

YOU BIG BAD AT&T. YOU USED THE EASEMENT THAT YOU BOUGHT!!!

(sorry I couldn't help mocking your style)

What actually happens in cases like this is taxpayers and ratepayers subsidize buying out these whiners, or spending extra money to find other spots for install.

I don't blame AT&T one bit for threatening to pull out. Why should they have to spend more resources than the cable companies to provide service?

•••••••••
cornelius785
join:2006-10-26
Worcester, MA

cornelius785 to Rick5

to Rick5
i sure hope no executive would read ANYTHING at this site. i'd classify this site more as a personal blog run by a few people with forums than a 'news' site. also paragraphs with logical flow and something called SENENTENCES. phrases are kind of awkward to read and annoying to read over and over again. i gave up reading the rest of your 'post' because of the lack of the things i have pointed out, as have others pointed at too.

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

Dogfather

Premium Member

said by cornelius785:

i sure hope no executive would read ANYTHING at this site. i'd classify this site more as a personal blog run by a few people with forums than a 'news' site. also paragraphs with logical flow and something called SENENTENCES. phrases are kind of awkward to read and annoying to read over and over again. i gave up reading the rest of your 'post' because of the lack of the things i have pointed out, as have others pointed at too.
SENENTENCES? Hey, ee cummings, those living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned) to Rick5

to Rick5
Can't really say it any better than I've said it before.

»Re: Att is going Ftth by 2009.
notwrth10
join:2007-03-03
1001EB

1 edit

notwrth10 to Rick5

to Rick5
well, I think I could live with a powered box. It's as least better than this one that comcast provides:

It still makes me wonder what they(comcast) offered Janice's family. Probably $255 and free cable for a year! Ok a little better than the goverment! If AT&T's method is failing, then I fail to see the pine box presented. Last I checked, no one died from a Uverse install. It seems to me, and of course I could be observing like you are, it seems that AT&T's no effort Uverse is still better than comcast's best effort. Besides, Comcast is deploying their own lawn fridge and making fun of at&t.

I dunno about you, and I could be off, but last time my parents had a service problem. They didn't have to think if they might die or not. I will have to ask them next time I talk to them if it crossed their minds.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Childish

said by Article :
With their previously strained relationship now smooth, AT&T says they'll continue their $250 million network upgrades in the state, something they claim wouldn't have happened "if the [DPUC] had said something different," according to AT&T spokesman Dave Mancuso.
That's the corporate equivalent of saying, "We would have taken our ball and gone home." How childish can you really get?

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness

Re: Childish

said by Matt3:
said by Article :
With their previously strained relationship now smooth, AT&T says they'll continue their $250 million network upgrades in the state, something they claim wouldn't have happened "if the [DPUC] had said something different," according to AT&T spokesman Dave Mancuso.
That's the corporate equivalent of saying, "We would have taken our ball and gone home." How childish can you really get?
Actually it's more equivalent to "By the way, we're in charge here."

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
They use these threats all the time. "Our way or the Highway" is another way to put it.

GlobalMind
Domino Dude, POWER Systems Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-29
Indianapolis, IN

GlobalMind

Premium Member

This again?

I know a lot of folks have complained about these things, and I know there have been a good number of people on these forums who've said basically "tough crap, deal with it" or "I'd love to have one here!"

Of course generally none of these folks have actually had one plunked down in front of their house, so it's a pretty funny read.

I can totally understand where the folks who have had the things dropped in are coming from, although there is certainly some degree of "what else can we do?" at play here.

Certainly if you have an easement in the back yard between properties like our old place did, that would be the ideal location. From the photo included here that seems to be th case although there isn't much context there.

What I think is really unacceptable are the ones they drop immediately in front of the house. Easement or not, what you can do and what you should do are different. Those certainly would effect a property's value.

Too bad really AT&T wants to compete but in doing so this is what they come up with. And no AT&T it isn't the cable industry that's behind it, LOL what a laugh.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

Re: This again?

said by GlobalMind:

Of course generally none of these folks have actually had one plunked down in front of their house, so it's a pretty funny read.
I have not actually seen any plunked down in anybody's yard around here. I'll keep my eyes open as I travel about San José; but, to date, all the VRADs I've seen installed have been adjacent to existing B-Boxes, usually in what I've called, "parking strips". Generally between the public sidewalk and the public street. And on the side yards of adjacent properties.

GlobalMind
Domino Dude, POWER Systems Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-10-29
Indianapolis, IN

GlobalMind

Premium Member

Re: This again?

said by NormanS:

I have not actually seen any plunked down in anybody's yard around here.
Yea I think it was on this site I saw a pic where it had been placed in what I am sure was classified as an easement but really it was right between - but in that front of - two houses. It may have been the one that exploded & melted the guy's siding on the garage or some such thing.

Now, I am in a gated development, the sidewalks belong to the community (not "the public" per se). The closest phone gear by me is a couple houses down, obscured by bushes and painted green. You really don't see them unless you're looking.

On the other hand we have plenty of cable co capsules which are in front of the house but generally next to someone's driveway. During hurricanes the covers of which can be found a few hundred yards away.
NLiveris
join:2001-11-25
Chicago, IL

NLiveris

Not Worth It

I wouldn't want that ugly thing in my yard for a wimpy 6Mbps DSL service. pffft.

And yes, the 1st poster's comment was terribly formatted and just as ugly to look at as those VRADs.

•••••

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

3 recommendations

morbo

AT&T opposed to "retroactive consent"?

AT&T is opposed to "retroactive consent" when it comes to lawn fridges, but when it comes to retroactive immunity they are all for it.

consistently horrible.

anon74
@embarqhsd.net

1 recommendation

anon74

Anon

Stop Whining

I say put them there and screw what people think about it, People are going to complain no matter what anyways.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

What is needed is utility easment police.

Unfortunately there seems to be no coordination between the various utility companies as to where they place their equipment cabinets. Unfortunately one homeowner won the hardware on utility easement lottery. They wound up with a Telephone Company Subscriber Line Carrier Cabinet and Terminal Box, Power Company Isolation Switch and Cable Company Node on their property. Almost their entire utility easement was filled with utility company cabinets. There should be a limit to the number of cabinets placed on one homeowners utility easement.

•••••

hahahaha
@bellsouth.net

hahahaha

Anon

Run over it

Run over it with your vehicle. Then sue them for your injuries.

Unit649
I B U, Who U B?
Premium Member
join:2000-01-22
Stockton, CA

Unit649

Premium Member

Re: Run over it

The way people hit fences on some properties near me, I can tell you exactly where to place those. It would probably stop the car next time from getting as close to the house as some of them have.

One neighbor 2 streets over has replaced his fence TWICE this year. A cabinet there would probably save his insurance company from replacing 50 feet of fence, they would only damage maybe 10 or so.

I know that the city recently had to relocate a control box for a traffic light because that thing had been taken out 4 times in a year too. Someone must have painted a target on it!

cmatties
Only the strong will survive. HAHA
join:2005-03-04
Green Springs, OH

cmatties

same old chit

for starters i have read alot of post by rick and he never knows what he is talking about. and those damn vrad's are an eye sore. thats why no one whats them. burry it is what i have to say.
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber

Re: same old chit

I think that almost everybody posting here should go look at what a right of way for a street is, and what an easement is. A right of way for a 30 ft wide street is usually about 60 ft wide that allows for sidewalks, utilitly poles, underground cables (phone,catv, ect). When a gas line was installed through my front yard of our first house I was appalled that my property was being ruined! When I found out that the gas line being dug in "my yard", I got my father who was a registered land surveyor to come out, and survey my property to allow me to sue back into the stone age the gas company that had desecrated my property! It was a sobering, reality check to find that the town owned about 15 feet of my "front yard" that was part of their street layout. Before people go ballistic here, I would suggest that they find where there property lines are.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako

Premium Member

Who cares who?

Cable industry, telco industry, tobacco industry, gabling industry....

Don't care who it is I don't desire one of those things in front of my house.

Alnon
@frontiernet.net

Alnon

Anon

Easy answer

Just give everyone who has a fridge in front of their house free phone, internet and tv for life (transferable if the house is sold). That perk should even out the property value and it costs AT&T almost nothing to provide, so everyone should be happy.