dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-07-11 12:00:39: [att=1326809,r]The 3G iPhone launch isn't going particularly smoothly today, with Gizmodo noting that people are having a hard time activating their phones and installing the 2.0 firmware update. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

1 recommendation

Matt3

Premium Member

Didn't this happen last time?

Didn't this happen when the first iPhone was released?

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC

1 recommendation

Chiyo

Premium Member

not surprised when you force people to activate in store you'd think they'd be ready!
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

EPS4

I suppose...

I should wait to buy the 2.0 update for the iPod touch, then. (Or do touch owners have to wait anyway?)

Defiance
Computer Elite
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11
Minocqua, WI

Defiance to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3

Re: Didn't this happen last time?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Poor ole Apple... May you R.I.P.
Storage_Guy
join:2006-04-30
Benton Harbor, MI

Storage_Guy

In store only

I thought the new iPhones could only be activated in the store, not through iTunes??
EPS4
Hingham, MA

1 recommendation

EPS4

I seem to recall reading that stores get a special version of iTunes to activate through.

Deft
Stros in '08
Premium Member
join:2003-09-06
Grand Forks, ND

3 edits

Deft to EPS4

Premium Member

to EPS4

Re: I suppose...

said by EPS4:

I should wait to buy the 2.0 update for the iPod touch, then. (Or do touch owners have to wait anyway?)
Dont buy.. just jailbreak.. but yea we are screwed too (touch owners) we have to wait for the itunes update also..

»content.info.apple.com/P ··· ore.ipsw this is for the itouch.. not iphone.. and its very very slow.. click on it if you want.

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium Member
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC

MrMoody

Premium Member

Expect it

Hey, if you have to have something like this on the first day, you should expect this sort of thing. A true fan is willing to stand around all day waiting.

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

cabana

Mod

There have been people waiting on line since MONDAY here in NYC!!! I can only surmize that its summertime and there is nothing better to do? PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE...

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Chiyo

Premium Member

to Chiyo

And aside from any iPhone 2.0 & iTunes problems, the mandated in-store activation has created large lines at the Apple stores slowing day one sales quite a bit.
artbatista
join:2008-03-14
Macon, GA

artbatista to Storage_Guy

to Storage_Guy

Re: In store only

I got in line at 7:35 AM in Macon, GA. Before the store opened at 8:00AM a manager came out, passed bottled water and told us they had 30 iphones in stock, mixed randomly (white,black,8GB, 16GB) and that anyone not able to get one could put their name on a list and return next day to get one without having to wait in line.

There were altogether maybe 100 people in line. I go the next to last phone and by that time they had given up on in store activation. I was showed an email form AT&T corporate, to the effect that the at&t activation servers were down and to give the iphones to the customers to activate themselves at home.

I got my phone at 10:25AM, as of this writing 12:04PM, I have been unable to activate...

The bad part about this is that they de-activated my old SIM and I can't use my old phone.

AnonProxy
Premium Member
join:2001-05-12

AnonProxy

Premium Member

iTunes

What happens is that in the store there is a "special" version of iTunes that is used to activate. To activate it seems they are downloading it, then connecting to the server to activate.
The problem is EVERYONE that is buying one and EVERY store that is selling the phones are doing it basically at the same time, so there is no ability to activate.
I got mine early and then went back with a friend. In Albany, NY they are basically sending people out the door with a phone that does not work and telling them to come back in a "couple days".
This seems to be most problematic for people trying to transfer a number for some reason.

Snickerdo3
Premium Member
join:2001-02-28
Niagara Falls, ON

Snickerdo3 to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3

said by Matt3:

Didn't this happen when the first iPhone was released?
Yup, for a good 2-3 days. It was not fun to be on the other end of the phone when customs called in to bitch.

DoRight
join:2007-07-20
East Petersburg, PA

DoRight to AnonProxy

to AnonProxy

Re: iTunes

This might slow down their projection to sell 10 million by end of 2008..
45071419 (banned)
join:2006-07-30

45071419 (banned) to artbatista

to artbatista

Damn artbatista, was it really worth it?

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

Stop the insanity

Its just a phone, and not a great one at that. People need to find something better then a phone to fulfill them. Unless these people are all college students ?

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus

Never fear

Jobby-Jobs will polish this turd to a lustrous shine once ... what's that? MobileMe isn't working yet either? After three days?

Oh, my ...
--

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102 to FFH5

to FFH5

Those that want the device that bad on day 1 have been waiting... they'll just have a wait a little longer.
In a day or 2, there will be no lines.

blueeyesm
join:2003-09-05
Waterloo, ON

blueeyesm

At least they got heir phones..

The chain in Canada that is carrying the iPhones had severely limited stocks.

The flagship store for Rogers Communications had 80(!) of the 8GB ver., 20 of the higher capacity.

»www.cbc.ca/canada/story/ ··· comments

AlexNYC
join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

1 recommendation

AlexNYC

Not surpised

I am a huge Apple fan, I love my Macs.

I also think that iPhone is dumb and inferior to many other phones. I own a Nokia N95 (5 MP camera with flash, Wi-Fi, Real GPS and much more) which runs on Symbian and I LOVE IT.
I cant wait for the N96 ...
iPhone is just a marketing hype!
EPS4
Hingham, MA

EPS4 to Deft

to Deft

Re: I suppose...

I've been going back and forth on that- there are a few Apps in the much-ballyhooed App Store that I'd like to check out, but there are also those jailbroken apps- for example, that NES emulator (think Apple will ever allow that?).

Eventually the hackers will figure out a "best of both worlds" solution, I guess- in the end the hackers always win.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez to artbatista

to artbatista

said by artbatista:

The bad part about this is that they de-activated my old SIM and I can't use my old phone.
Why did they do that? Cant you use your old SIM, or did you change numbers or something?

HEDP
join:2008-04-27
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

HEDP

!

Just goes to show how many people bitch about gas and everything else yet throw their money away on a phone, that does not even work that good.

Carbon Unit
MVM
join:2001-07-21
Saint Charles, MO

Carbon Unit to AlexNYC

MVM

to AlexNYC

Re: Not surpised

I would really be surprised to see a line in my low tech community? but I will drive buy the att store on the way home from work, I plan on securing the white iphone in the next few days

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium Member
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC

2 recommendations

MrMoody to DaveDude

Premium Member

to DaveDude

Re: Stop the insanity

Yeah but it's a HarleyApple, so just having it makes you cool, and you get double bonus cool points for getting it the first day. Take it to a club tonight and flash it around, you'll be so cool I guarantee you'll get laid.

paulm
@dslextreme.com

paulm

Anon

GPS

Whayyyada mean GPS? It only tells you your current location to get apps info and not turn by turn directions to where I'm going? What the hell good is this? It's not GPS, oh wait, it's Apple GPS, lame.

Morfein
Lead Peon
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08
Brownsburg, IN

Morfein to Carbon Unit

Premium Member

to Carbon Unit

Re: Not surpised

I just stopped by my local att store only to find they have 0. All the stores located relatively close to me (outskirts of Indy) don't have any either.

The att sales rep said the only place she knows around here that actually has them is the Apple Store about 40 minutes away.

Hopefully that isn't the case for you as well.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

1 recommendation

Smith6612 to Matt3

MVM

to Matt3

Mozilla when Firefox 3 came out on download day also ended up killing their site as well. It's hard to predict how many people at one time are going to be loading things up.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

1 edit

SeattleMatt to MrMoody

Premium Member

to MrMoody

Re: Stop the insanity

said by MrMoody:

Yeah but it's a HarleyApple, so just having it makes you cool, and you get double bonus cool points for getting it the first day. Take it to a club tonight and flash it around, you'll be so cool I guarantee you'll get laid.
Moody-
You are SO right. I remember last summer, the night of the 1st launch, a guy was at the bar I was at with one. He might've been one of the ugliest dudes I've seen, but had a crowd around him a majority of the night.

FicmanS
Premium Member
join:2005-01-11
Brownsburg, IN

FicmanS to DoRight

Premium Member

to DoRight

Re: iTunes

My thoughts as well...
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next