spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-07-11 12:00:39: [att=1326809,r]The 3G iPhone launch isn't going particularly smoothly today, with Gizmodo noting that people are having a hard time activating their phones and installing the 2.0 firmware update. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

1 recommendation

Didn't this happen last time?

Didn't this happen when the first iPhone was released?

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium
join:2003-02-20
Charlotte, NC
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Re: Didn't this happen last time?

not surprised when you force people to activate in store you'd think they'd be ready!
--
My Blog:
»abanzai.animeblogger.net/

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

And aside from any iPhone 2.0 & iTunes problems, the mandated in-store activation has created large lines at the Apple stores slowing day one sales quite a bit.

en102
Canadian, eh?

join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

Those that want the device that bad on day 1 have been waiting... they'll just have a wait a little longer.
In a day or 2, there will be no lines.
--
Canada = Hollywood North

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26

said by en102:

Those that want the device that bad on day 1 have been waiting... they'll just have a wait a little longer.
In a day or 2, there will be no lines.
Those that want the device that bad, are nuts anyway. Let them stand in lines all day. They didn't expect that? Almost as dumb as Apple not expecting the server loads!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by FFH5:

And aside from any iPhone 2.0 & iTunes problems, the mandated in-store activation has created large lines at the Apple stores slowing day one sales quite a bit.
Also, those users upgrading their original iPhones to the 2.0 firmware are being bricked at a prodigious rate. Seems the last step of an iPhone 1 upgrade is to connect to the App store to complete activation of the upgrade. Problem is that the App store is buried and can't keep up.

»www.techcrunch.com/2008/07/11/si···growing/
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

Defiance82
Computer Elite
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Burlington, WI
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Poor ole Apple... May you R.I.P.

ninjatutle
Premium

join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

1 recommendation

said by Defiance82:

One of the dumbest post I've seen in a while.
theeinstein
Premium
join:2003-07-31
Fernandina Beach, FL

1 edit

Not really...

What is "dumb" are people who are wrapped into the apple is the only worthy OS / company on the planet... and end up getting butt pounded by Apple (ie.. iphone price drop , iphone locked to a single carrier with a piss poor 3G deployment..etc..)

Take your blinders off there "little turtle"!

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ
said by Defiance82:

Prediction: By Monday the stock will be over $180 again as "the street" decides that something that sells well enough to crash servers is a good thing.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

said by sporkme:

said by Defiance82:

Prediction: By Monday the stock will be over $180 again as "the street" decides that something that sells well enough to crash servers is a good thing.
I hope so. My IRA needs a boost with the way the market has been. I'm hoping they'll split soon.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

unlikely, but a nice thought non the less, I'd love to buy a bunch of Apple stock at half it's current price.

Snickerdo
Premium
join:2001-02-28
Niagara Falls, ON
said by Matt3:

Didn't this happen when the first iPhone was released?
Yup, for a good 2-3 days. It was not fun to be on the other end of the phone when customs called in to bitch.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

1 recommendation

Mozilla when Firefox 3 came out on download day also ended up killing their site as well. It's hard to predict how many people at one time are going to be loading things up.
mikeg803

join:2008-07-12
Columbia, SC
My motto is "If you are going to do something, do it right the first time". Has AT&T ever done anything right the first time. I don't think so. That is why I stick with VZW.

Snickerdo
Premium
Niagara Falls, ON

said by mikeg803:

My motto is "If you are going to do something, do it right the first time". Has AT&T ever done anything right the first time. I don't think so. That is why I stick with VZW.
This whole situation has absolutely nothing to do with AT&T and everything to do with Apple.
--
I swear that I will faithfully and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.
mikeg803

join:2008-07-12
Columbia, SC

It's AT&T's responsibility to ensure they provide working equipment to their paying customers. It does have to do with AT&T and Apple.

Snickerdo
Premium
Niagara Falls, ON

said by mikeg803:

It's AT&T's responsibility to ensure they provide working equipment to their paying customers. It does have to do with AT&T and Apple.
Um, you are aware that AT&T doesn't exist outside the US, and that this issue was worldwide, right? This is an Apple issue. Absolutely nothing to do with AT&T.
--
I swear that I will faithfully and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.
EPS4

join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

I suppose...

I should wait to buy the 2.0 update for the iPod touch, then. (Or do touch owners have to wait anyway?)

Deft
Stros in '08
Premium
join:2003-09-06
Grand Forks, ND
Reviews:
·Midcontinent Com..

3 edits

Re: I suppose...

said by EPS4:

I should wait to buy the 2.0 update for the iPod touch, then. (Or do touch owners have to wait anyway?)
Dont buy.. just jailbreak.. but yea we are screwed too (touch owners) we have to wait for the itunes update also..

»content.info.apple.com/Protected···ore.ipsw this is for the itouch.. not iphone.. and its very very slow.. click on it if you want.
EPS4

Hingham, MA

I've been going back and forth on that- there are a few Apps in the much-ballyhooed App Store that I'd like to check out, but there are also those jailbroken apps- for example, that NES emulator (think Apple will ever allow that?).

Eventually the hackers will figure out a "best of both worlds" solution, I guess- in the end the hackers always win.

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

said by EPS4:

I've been going back and forth on that- there are a few Apps in the much-ballyhooed App Store that I'd like to check out, but there are also those jailbroken apps- for example, that NES emulator (think Apple will ever allow that?).

Eventually the hackers will figure out a "best of both worlds" solution, I guess- in the end the hackers always win.
said by EPS4:

They already have, the new jailbreak tool for 2.0 is released in the next day or so.
BosstonesOwn

join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
actually it came in at a steaming 3.3 Meg a sec.

I think lot's of those people are waiting for no good reason.

And yes I have a mac book pro , but am not an apple fan boi.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt......and then it's absolutely friggin' hysterical!"
Storage_Guy

join:2006-04-30
Benton Harbor, MI

In store only

I thought the new iPhones could only be activated in the store, not through iTunes??
EPS4

Hingham, MA

1 recommendation

Re: In store only

I seem to recall reading that stores get a special version of iTunes to activate through.
artbatista

join:2008-03-14
Macon, GA
I got in line at 7:35 AM in Macon, GA. Before the store opened at 8:00AM a manager came out, passed bottled water and told us they had 30 iphones in stock, mixed randomly (white,black,8GB, 16GB) and that anyone not able to get one could put their name on a list and return next day to get one without having to wait in line.

There were altogether maybe 100 people in line. I go the next to last phone and by that time they had given up on in store activation. I was showed an email form AT&T corporate, to the effect that the at&t activation servers were down and to give the iphones to the customers to activate themselves at home.

I got my phone at 10:25AM, as of this writing 12:04PM, I have been unable to activate...

The bad part about this is that they de-activated my old SIM and I can't use my old phone.

join:2006-07-30

Damn artbatista, was it really worth it?

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY
said by artbatista:

The bad part about this is that they de-activated my old SIM and I can't use my old phone.
Why did they do that? Cant you use your old SIM, or did you change numbers or something?
--
If history teaches us anything, it teaches that simple-minded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly.
-Ronald Reagan-
artbatista

join:2008-03-14
Macon, GA

They activated a new SIM card for the Iphone. I just now took it out and put it in my razr to get that working for the time being. As of 1:00PM EST no activation yet.

Art

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

said by artbatista:

They activated a new SIM card for the Iphone. I just now took it out and put it in my razr to get that working for the time being. As of 1:00PM EST no activation yet.

Art
Why though? Cant you simply insert your old SIM and be done with it?
--
If history teaches us anything, it teaches that simple-minded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly.
-Ronald Reagan-

Qumahlin
Never Enough Time
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-05
united state

said by wifi4milez:

said by artbatista:

Art
Why though? Cant you simply insert your old SIM and be done with it?
No, if you want all of the features to actually work the phone must be re-activated via itunes and connect to the servers.

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
said by artbatista:

The same thing happened to me when I got my iPhone last year. I took the SIM out of the iPhone and put it into my old phone and my old phone worked with the iPhone SIM in it. I used my old phone for about another 24 hours before things calmed down and I was able to activate the iPhone.

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC

Expect it

Hey, if you have to have something like this on the first day, you should expect this sort of thing. A true fan is willing to stand around all day waiting.
--
The public is a poor business manager.

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Premium,Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

Re: Expect it

There have been people waiting on line since MONDAY here in NYC!!! I can only surmize that its summertime and there is nothing better to do? PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE...

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Expect it

the aristocrats

AnonProxy
Premium
join:2001-05-12

iTunes

What happens is that in the store there is a "special" version of iTunes that is used to activate. To activate it seems they are downloading it, then connecting to the server to activate.
The problem is EVERYONE that is buying one and EVERY store that is selling the phones are doing it basically at the same time, so there is no ability to activate.
I got mine early and then went back with a friend. In Albany, NY they are basically sending people out the door with a phone that does not work and telling them to come back in a "couple days".
This seems to be most problematic for people trying to transfer a number for some reason.

DoRight

join:2007-07-20
East Petersburg, PA

Re: iTunes

This might slow down their projection to sell 10 million by end of 2008..

FicmanS
Premium
join:2005-01-11
Brownsburg, IN

Re: iTunes

My thoughts as well...

DaveDude
No Fear

join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

Stop the insanity

Its just a phone, and not a great one at that. People need to find something better then a phone to fulfill them. Unless these people are all college students ?

•••••

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26

Never fear

Jobby-Jobs will polish this turd to a lustrous shine once ... what's that? MobileMe isn't working yet either? After three days?

Oh, my ...
--

blueeyesm

join:2003-09-05
Waterloo, ON

At least they got heir phones..

The chain in Canada that is carrying the iPhones had severely limited stocks.

The flagship store for Rogers Communications had 80(!) of the 8GB ver., 20 of the higher capacity.

»www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/07/···comments

AlexNYC

join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO

1 recommendation

Not surpised

I am a huge Apple fan, I love my Macs.

I also think that iPhone is dumb and inferior to many other phones. I own a Nokia N95 (5 MP camera with flash, Wi-Fi, Real GPS and much more) which runs on Symbian and I LOVE IT.
I cant wait for the N96 ...
iPhone is just a marketing hype!

••••••••••

HEDP

join:2008-04-27
Miami, FL

2 recommendations

!

Just goes to show how many people bitch about gas and everything else yet throw their money away on a phone, that does not even work that good.

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC

Re: !

Mine has always worked quite well

paulm

@dslextreme.com

GPS

Whayyyada mean GPS? It only tells you your current location to get apps info and not turn by turn directions to where I'm going? What the hell good is this? It's not GPS, oh wait, it's Apple GPS, lame.

Leathal
Premium
join:2002-02-09
canada
kudos:2

Software Problems Bug Apple's Launch Of New iPhone

Kenny Pichardo, 24, was the first to buy an iPhone 3G at an AT&T store in the New York borough of Queens, but he said it took the store half an hour to get the phone working.

A spokesman for AT&T Inc., the exclusive carrier for the iPhone in the U.S., said there was a global problem with Apple Inc.'s iTunes software that prevented the phones from being fully activated in-store, as had been planned.

Instead, employees are telling buyers to go home and perform the last step by connecting their phones to their own computers, spokesman Michael Coe said.

»www.citynews.ca/news/news_24676.aspx

•••••••

FastiBook

join:2003-01-08
Newtown, PA

iTunes update...

There was an update of itunes within the last 24 hours. Make sure you get that installed before complaining! Also, because of the price drop, i think there are more people getting one than last time, would explain the clog.

•••••••••
jebba2005

join:2005-01-13
Portland, ME

It is a nice phone.

I have three friends who have the earlier version, one who will update later this week. When she ordered her McAirBook, she accidentally bought two.....I begged for the xtra one to no avail. I would buy one if it would work on Sprint with my Sero plan and their EVDO revA.

••••••

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium
join:2005-06-12
Fairbanks, AK
Reviews:
·GCI.net

Different error

I bought my 3G this morning, though I'm getting a very similar error, the text reads the same, however, the code is -4. Anybody else getting this. They were getting the -4 error at AT&T this morning, and they kicked me out of the store and told me to do it at home.

I was told that Apple took the servers offline to prevent 2g iphone owners from bricking them. Apparently the 2.0 software has caused a LOT of problems. Anyone else hear about this?
--
Remember, passwords are like underwear... the longer the better... don't leave them lying around... keep them hidden... don't share them with your friends... and change yours often!

•••

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Still can't update my Touch....

Going on 6 hours to try to update my Touch, still no dice.

••••

Barmat
Uhmmm Floor Pie

join:2000-11-01
Livermore, CA

Waste of time

I spent four ours in line this morning and the store ran out of all models w/ 100 people still in line. Did Apple really think this through?

•••

phoneboy3

@shawcable.net

WFT is wrong with society

btw, there are people dying in a war in Afghanistan and Iraq as we speak

Just thought I would mention it.

There is no hope for humanity!

boohbooh

@verizon.net

1 edit

Re: WFT is wrong with society

seriously go over there and die for us then~

AnonProxy
Premium
join:2001-05-12
Maybe if they had iPhones to distract the enemy, it would be better for them.
HardDriver

join:2004-03-08

On the Inside

I'm disappointed that our audience here at BBR is more interested in debating Apple/the iPhone instead of discussing the technical details of what happened here. Perhaps I'm the only visitor still interested in the technology and connectivity which makes all of this possible. Anyway, doesn't Apple power all of their web services via Akamai's EdgeSuite platform? It looks like that would be able to handle the load of serving up all those static firmware files. Of course, I guess it's the registration and account management that takes a bit more server-side processing. There is definitely a bottle-neck somewhere.

•••

A900MHz Fan

join:2004-07-12
Mitchell, SD

XV6800

XV6800 > iPhone

Neal