dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-07-13 10:49:17: Microsoft has announced that a new version of the Xbox 360 will be released which triples the console’s storage capacity. [bquote] "Available in retail stores in the U.S. ..

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

Good

But if they want to push the XBL store/rentals they need to drop the price of the HDD add on upgrades. $160+ for 120GB HDD is dumb.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Re: Good

...that and add a Blu-ray player.

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

Dogfather

Premium Member

No thanks. Blu-Ray blows. It's overpriced, the media is a rip-off and after all that the quality only moderately better than upscaled DVD.

If the movies were $10 and the drive was $40, maybe.

IMO it's better for MS to get the price of the console down as cheap as possible or God forbid improve the mfg quality.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike

Mod

1080i > 480i

upscale dvd looks like garbage to me.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

tiger72

Premium Member

technically it's 1080p > 480p upscaled.

Nonetheless, it's still way overpriced. I'm not paying $29.99 for a movie.

Kompressor
Premium Member
join:2002-02-12
Huntington Beach, CA

Kompressor

Premium Member

Sony Blu-Ray sucks ass.

And what's with this 60GB crap? Why isn't there a 320GB option?

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to tiger72

Mod

to tiger72
True.

Netflix to the rescue, I guess.
bogey7806
join:2004-03-19
Here

bogey7806 to Dogfather

to Dogfather
Why drive a Cadillac when a Yugo is just as good? If you don't see a difference then you're just not being honest.

Hell, people here gnash and wail about ATM and PPPoE. That's not as big as the performance and bandwidth difference between 480i and 1080p.

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

3 edits

1 recommendation

Dogfather

Premium Member

Because the Cadillac is an overpriced POS? Read the thread.

I NEVER said there isn't a difference. I said the moderate difference isn't worth the much higher price of both hardware and media. I said if the drive was $40 and media $10 maybe.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

I suppose you buy new DVDs for $8.00?

When I see new DVDs at $22.95 and Blu-rays at $27.95... I'll usually buy the Blu-ray.
If you think the picture difference is moderately better, maybe time to get a better display.

Native 1080p picture, several choices of audio - including PCM(that's uncompressed).

As opposed to a soft, upconverted DVD picture with severely compressed audio - knock yourself out!

Now, if I see a movie that I don't have yet in the $5.99 bin, I'll probably snag it and forego the Blu-ray.

For that priceless look on someone's face when they see what their whoop-ass HDTV can actually do compared to cable HD/Dish HD/upconverted DVD, I'll pick Blu-ray every time!

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

4 edits

Dogfather

Premium Member

Yes, I often get new release DVD's for $10 and never pay more than $15 and those disc can be played in any drive or player I have or any of my friends have.

No way in hell I'll ever waste $28-$35 on a typical BR disc. Even BR sales prices are typically 50% higher than DVD.

But I'm not going to sit here and argue with you. You want to waste money on overpriced media, that is your prerogative but it would be dumb for MS to run back up the price of the XBOX 360 with BR. MS would serve themselves best by making the console as cheap as possible.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

said by Dogfather:

Yes, I often get new release DVD's for $10 and never pay more than $15.

No way in hell I'll ever waste $28-$35 on a typical BR disc. Even BR sales prices are typically 50% higher than DVD.
Ok, where?
I see on Amazon BDs sell for $24 or less.
I see new releases of DVDs sell at CC for $22.95 and the same BD sell for $27.99 - I'll choose the BD!

Here, some interesting screen captures:
»www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ ··· t=811102

Yeah, so close...

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

BB, Fry's, everywhere there is a sale.

And I have PS3s on both my big screens, I'm well aware of Blu-Ray quality as well as it's problems.

You want to waste money on BR media...that's just awesome. No one is stopping you. Me, I'd rather not pay 50% more for media that will only play on a couple of my players.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

I would rather have the best picture available on my screens, which BTW also upscale DVDs.

BTW, your math is fried friend, $22 - $27 is not 50% more.

Re read my posts, I still buy DVDs, but I prefer to buy Blu-ray - they *ARE* better!

My last BD cost $18.99. I look for sales too.
Maybe next time compare DVDs on sale to the same movie on BD that is on sale.
Not a bargain bin DVD vs a new BD release. Lets be fair.
Desdinova
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

Desdinova

Premium Member

I agree completely; BR on an LG multidrive (BR and HD-DVD) in my media center PC with a carefully tweaked and calibrated DLP projector on a ten foot screen and I have a smokin' home theatre that looks better than the 35mm I run as a part-time projectionist (been a union operator for twenty-six years).

I recently got the first season of Weeds, Life of Brian and Pan's Labrynth for $10 each at Amazon. And there are great prices here: »www.deepdiscount.com

So yeah, I agree with dadkins that there are LOTS of places to get BR pretty cheaply.

That doesn't mean I expect folks to run out and buy into the format, only that things aren't always as pricey as may first appear.
VictorWI
join:2003-05-30
Greendale, WI

VictorWI

Hey, thanks for the link. I see they have Stargate on BD for only $15. LOL. That DVD is the first one I ever got (freebie with the player back in 1999 I think) and it's a flipper - time to replace that with glorious 1080p and DTS HD audio!!!

I say if it looks better to you and you have the money I see no reason not to go with BD. If it doesn't look good or you can't afford the extra 30%-40% stick with DVD.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show
join:2000-01-05
Lynn, MA
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit

1 recommendation

Madness to dadkins

to dadkins
I've heard plenty of of times that BR isn't really worth it unless one has a >50" 1080p display. I'm sorry to say that I don't know anyone who has one nor who is planning on buying one. ~$400 for a player has to be fixed, also. And don't get me started on the "Profile" BS. I'm one who's perfectly happy w/ my existing DVD collection (which I really don't want to replace, AGAIN!) & my $60 upscaling Philips player from WallyWorld.

Addendum: Let's not forget that it'll probably take YEARS for back-catalogs, Indy, obscure, etc., material to ever make it to BR (I'm not always just wanting the big blockbusters from the last few years!). Hell, it took that long just to get some of it on DVD & we're still waiting for some (or in my case, sometimes buying a foreign-region DVD).

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

Agreed!
I have no intentions of replacing all my DVDs.
For the new movies, I will likely buy the Blu-ray version.
I will also pick-n-choose as to when I buy them... like on sale! BOGOs.
Special Offers.

Spending a whopping $5 more for the BD version and getting way better PQ and AQ *IS* worth it - to me at least.

No reason for some people to try and misinform people because they cannot see how much better Blu-ray is in PQ and AQ.
Some of us can see and hear the difference.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

I suppose you buy new DVDs for $8.00?

When I see new DVDs at $22.95 and Blu-rays at $27.95... I'll usually buy the Blu-ray.
If you think the picture difference is moderately better, maybe time to get a better display.

Native 1080p picture, several choices of audio - including PCM(that's uncompressed).

As opposed to a soft, upconverted DVD picture with severely compressed audio - knock yourself out!

Now, if I see a movie that I don't have yet in the $5.99 bin, I'll probably snag it and forego the Blu-ray.

For that priceless look on someone's face when they see what their whoop-ass HDTV can actually do compared to cable HD/Dish HD/upconverted DVD, I'll pick Blu-ray every time!
un some movies just look like crap

MY display is Full HD 1920x1080P

there is an LOT of white noise similar like watching snowy analog tv

DVD does not have this issuse

very Noticeable from 8 feet away

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather
said by Dogfather:

No thanks. Blu-Ray blows. It's overpriced, the media is a rip-off and after all that the quality only moderately better than upscaled DVD.

If the movies were $10 and the drive was $40, maybe.

IMO it's better for MS to get the price of the console down as cheap as possible or God forbid improve the mfg quality.
You're fucking joking me, right?

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

Sorry if I don't see $28 BR movies and expensive hardware as the great deal you do.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

1 recommendation

zod5000

Depends really.. what if you keep buying dvd's now and decide to switch to bluray when its cheaper? you might end up buying your titles twice anyways.

For new DVD's, there about 5 bones cheaper that blurays (maybe 10 cheaper if your comparing to a day of release blowout dvd sale).

Blu-ray's go on sale too, DVD's that would be in a walmart bargain bin for 8.99 go on sale on amazon for 14.99 on bluray.

It's a bit more.. but I think blu-ray (hd-dvd too) looked a fair bit better on my 42inch lcd than a dvd.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins to Dogfather

MVM

to Dogfather
What about $14.95 BDs? $19.95?
Not all BDs are $28... but you already know this!
Remember, some DVDs are $22 or more!

»entertainment.circuitcit ··· 23609DVD

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

4 edits

Dogfather

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

Sure, I'd buy a $10-$15 BRD which is my point if you read the thread. $28 which most discs are is a rip-off IMO. I simply refuse to pay $28+ for a movie I don't give a crap what media it's on. I won't pay $22 for a DVD either.

And there is nothing wrong with my math. For example in today's BB ad I'm looking at titles like Rambo and Jumper, fairly recent releases both types on sale...$15 DVD, $23 BRD and that is obviously a hair more than 50% higher and are very typical of sales around here and a good price for BRD.

And even in your own example "The Bank Job" CC has DVD for $15 while BRD is nearly 2X that at $28 and that's exactly my complaint. Typical movies on BRD are WAY more dough than DVD and I personally don't think BR is worth the price difference.

»entertainment.circuitcit ··· 23610DVD

And just as you do with your BRD...I'll rip my own digital copy for free...no point in paying 30% more for a DRMed up digital copy.

johnny_t
Premium Member
join:2004-03-21
Palo Alto, CA

1 recommendation

johnny_t

Premium Member

said by Dogfather:

said by dadkins:

Sure, I'd buy a $10-$15 BRD which is my point if you read the thread. $28 which most discs are is a rip-off IMO. I simply refuse to pay $28+ for a movie I don't give a crap what media it's on. I won't pay $22 for a DVD either.

And there is nothing wrong with my math. For example in today's BB ad I'm looking at titles like Rambo and Jumper, fairly recent releases both types on sale...$15 DVD, $23 BRD and that is obviously a hair more than 50% higher and are very typical of sales around here and a good price for BRD.

And even in your own example "The Bank Job" CC has DVD for $15 while BRD is nearly 2X that at $28 and that's exactly my complaint. Typical movies on BRD are WAY more dough than DVD and I personally don't think BR is worth the price difference.

»entertainment.circuitcit ··· 23610DVD

And just as you do with your BRD...I'll rip my own digital copy for free...no point in paying 30% more for a DRMed up digital copy.
OK I will agree with you on the price difference between normal DVD & BRD, however when you say ''marginally'' better PQ that is a troll (IMO). 720x480 is DVD, 1920x1080 is BRD, due to math. The VHS to DVD jump was smaller yet I'm willing to bet you have no problem with VHS quality either. SVHS- 480 lines, DVD-520 lines, BRD 1080 lines. Perhaps me & most people have bald eagle vison but.. I noticed a helluva difference between the quality & clarity between S-VHS & DVD. The other arguement would be upscaled DVD, still doesn't compare with a good coded BRD.

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

1 edit

Dogfather

Premium Member

1080P upscaled DVD is also 1920x1080. And the VHS to DVD jump wasn't all about resolution but also the switch from analog to digital.

Again, at no time did I say upscaled DVD is as good as BRD, just that BRD is just marginally better than upscaled DVD and certainly not so much better as to justify the price. This is from my experience owning both a dedicated 1080P upscaling players and multiple BRD players (1 PC based and 2 PS3s).

I've had similar discussions with my friends, who are Blu-Ray fans, and I've put media in my Sony 1080P DVD player and shocked the hell out of them. It certainly had them thinking twice about spending $28 on BRD media.
Desdinova
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Gaithersburg, MD

1 recommendation

Desdinova

Premium Member

Ah, you kids nowadays got it easy! I cut my teeth with laseridscs back in the early 80's and I remember paying up to $200 for a box set of the first five Star Trek films, $149 for the box set of JFK and $99 each for Alien, Aliens, etc.

Of course, back then our players were steam-powered and we were always arguing over which type of coal burned hotter and gave you a sharper picture, but hey...

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

Hey, I still use my DVL-919.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

dvd536 to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather
said by Dogfather:

1080P upscaled DVD is also 1920x1080. And the VHS to DVD jump wasn't all about resolution but also the switch from analog to digital.
But that 4mbps video on DVD vs 35mbps encode on blu ray. i'll take the blu ray if its a movie i really like.

Tzale
Premium Member
NYC Metro

Tzale

Premium Member

said by dvd536:
said by Dogfather:

But that 4mbps video on DVD vs 35mbps encode on blu ray. i'll take the blu ray if its a movie i really like.
I thought you would have chosen the DVD since you frigging named yourself after it!

-Tzale

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_ to dvd536

Premium Member

to dvd536
Click for full size
Click for full size
um dvd's look better then most Blu-ray movies
that is using HDMI

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier

Premium Member

If the picture quality of a Blu-Ray movie looks significantly worse than the upscaled DVD you compare, then you have something that needs serious adjustment/tweaking or you have a piece of incompatible equipment somewhere in there.

Tzale
Premium Member
NYC Metro

Tzale to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather
said by Dogfather:

Sorry if I don't see $28 BR movies and expensive hardware as the great deal you do.
I don't buy BR movies or DVD movies. Period. All ripoffs... But BR is much better.

Tha ReAlEsT
The King Is Back, Where My Crown At?
Premium Member
join:2002-09-28
the past

1 edit

Tha ReAlEsT to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather
I have a couple of new blue ray movies in my amazon shopping cart and the most expensive is $19. I dont have any BR movies but they seem to be pretty decent in price(the dvd version is the same price by the way). O yea i have spider man 3 with the ps3 but never watched it.

Phoenix2088
join:2002-12-04
Strongsville, OH

1 recommendation

Phoenix2088 to Dogfather

to Dogfather
That's the beauty of the internet. Anyone can spread FUD.

••••

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather

But Sony PS3 won't reduce their price

»www.gamespot.com/news/61 ··· ;title;1
So will Microsoft's latest move spark a response from Sony? No, according to Nobuyuki Oneda, the electronics giant's chief financial officer. "Our plan is not to reduce the price," the executive told the Nomura Asia Equity forum in Singapore, reports Dow Jones. "Our strategy is not to sell more quantity for PS3 but to concentrate on profitability."

Sony's emphasis on making the PS3 profitable has greatly lessened the console's drag on the company's finances.

Xbox 360 Pro will soon cost just $299.... will make it just $50 more than the Nintendo Wii and $100 cheaper than the $399 40GB PlayStation 3.

•••

johnny_t
Premium Member
join:2004-03-21
Palo Alto, CA

1 recommendation

johnny_t to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather

DVD as 480p, 720p, 768p, 1080i, 1080p w/e, it's still a resized 720x480 image, by that same token the BRD 1920x1080 is a downsized image of a master copy (e.g) Genesis has a 12.4 MP CCD @ 5760x2160. All-in-all what I'm trying to compute is the larger (or should I say more) that DVD get's upscaled it gets far more fragmented (worse/grainy/blurry/shitty take your pick). Anywho you could be perfectly happy with an upscaled DVD but me & a few others will prefer closer to the real thing (BRD). You get what you pay for.

Dogfather
Premium Member
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

said by johnny_t:

You get what you pay for.
My point is...you don't. Not yet anyway.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to Dogfather

Premium Member

to Dogfather
i'll throw this out there:

For those of us with sub 52" HDTVs, and/or 720p sets, upscaled DVD vs BRD is a pointless fight. They look about the same.

I'm not going to buy a BRD player that can't upgrade to new profiles for $300-$400 bucks.

Once profiles are set; once players are sub $100; once discs are sub $19.99, then and only then *may* I begin to adopt BRD.

But frankly, i'd rather just use XBL or whatever upcoming broadband HD service there is to watch my HD movies.

I will likely never adopt BRD due to the cost.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

1 recommendation

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by tiger72:

i'll throw this out there:

For those of us with sub 52" HDTVs, and/or 720p sets, upscaled DVD vs BRD is a pointless fight. They look about the same.

I'm not going to buy a BRD player that can't upgrade to new profiles for $300-$400 bucks.

Once profiles are set; once players are sub $100; once discs are sub $19.99, then and only then *may* I begin to adopt BRD.

But frankly, i'd rather just use XBL or whatever upcoming broadband HD service there is to watch my HD movies.

I will likely never adopt BRD due to the cost.
I agree with 720P sets you see less of a difference, but even with a small 40" 1080P set I can easily see the difference between an upconverted DVD and a 1080P HD DVD/BD.

I've been scaling my DVDs to HD resolutions since 2001. The difference is glaringly obvious with a 1080i or 1080P display.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to tiger72

to tiger72
I've got a 42inch TV and the diff between dvd and bluray/hd dvd is quite noticible. One thing you also have to realize is that just because the format is good, doesn't mean the transfer is, some of the studios have put out good movies with bad transfers, and i won't buy those. But they give HD a bad name if thats what someone is watching in HD.

I think on any tv 40" or bigger there is a noticible difference between DVD and bluray/hd dvd. The picture is so much sharper and vibrant. Upconversion is ok, but dvd's tend to be a fair bit softer than an HD source.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Dogfather

to Dogfather
said by Dogfather:

But if they want to push the XBL store/rentals they need to drop the price of the HDD add on upgrades. $160+ for 120GB HDD is dumb.
$160 more like $180. They should do like Sony and let people add there own HDD. PS3 owners can add a 250 GB HDD for less than $125.

Also you can't transfer anything you you got from XBL or game saves to a external HDD. That's stupid. Why should I buy Tv shows form XBL when if I reach my 120 GB capacity I either have to delete it off the HDD( I know I can re-dowload it for free, but that's then that takes time plus then I have to delete something else ) or spend another $180 for another 120 GB HDD which means having to swap 2 HDDs out all the time. Since I can play Amazon un-box shows on a 360( and my PC and a laptop and certain portable media players etc etc ) and I'm not using up valuable HDD space on the 360, I would buy my shows from Amazon not MS. So maybe when MS realizes how much money they are losing they'll do what's right.

Hell you can't even use a USB thumb drive for game saves like you can with the PS3. You have to use $50 memory cards that only hold 512 MB. And I can get a 2 GB USB thumb drive for $20.
mobbo
join:2005-04-13
Denton, TX

mobbo

I use the Xbox's HDD for game saves and keep my media on a different PC in my house so I don't use the space on the Xbox HDD. I download my TV shows on BT to that other PC and use the Media Center Extender to watch the media on my Xbox. It's an easy setup and my media is stored on my home PC with 1TB of storage (upgradeable of course).

One huge drawback though is that Media Center Extenders do not let you watch divx/xvid through the Media Center interface. You can watch them using the Windows Media Player on Xbox's dashboard (dumb and ugly), but there is a nice freeware tool out there called Transcode 360 (google it if you want to take a peek) that will stream divx/xvid media to your Xbox MCE for playback through the MCE interface.

So if you setup your media on a home PC with a large HDD capacity, setup Xbox 360 to be a MCE, and use Transcode 360 to watch divx/xvid through the MCE interface, you don't have to worry too much about space on the Xbox HDD.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 each have their advantages and disadvantages, but I do like Xbox LIVE more than PS3's multiplayer community.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

along the lines of transcode360 is tversity...
»tversity.com/

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

jester121

Premium Member

OK then.

Well, now I know why it's difficult to find small hard drives any more -- Microsoft has bought up the entire world supply, or found a warehouse full of obselete inventory somewhere for pennies on the dollar.

BinaryXtreme6
join:2004-04-20
Sparks, NV

BinaryXtreme6

Discount?

Now how about a nice discount for an upgraded hard drive storage for us loyal XBOX fans that have had our 360s for years?

•••
Poetique
join:2007-08-05
Auburn, AL

Poetique

The madness must end

When the next round of consoles is released, all this crap has got to stop.

All these different console "versions" only make it harder for developers to make games, and all it further does is piss off several of your customers because in order to upgrade once a "better" one is released you have to sell a friggin kidney. Not to mention the fact that some of the upgrades can't be obtained at all without a new console purchase (HDMI).

••••••••

karlmarx
join:2006-09-18
Moscow, ID

karlmarx

But when are we going to see a patch

So we can play the games directly from the HD, like the original X-Box.

yolarry
join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV

yolarry

Re: But when are we going to see a patch

We not going to due illgal issues.

besides they will fill the HD up
ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

ctggzg

Premium Member

$50 less for 20 GB vs. 60 GB?

When you can get a 300 GB drive for that much?

•••

Mike00
Premium Member
join:2002-09-16
Tulsa, OK

Mike00

Premium Member

blue ray

I just spent $450 on my first xbox 360 elite less than a week ago. now i'm hearing rumors of prices dropping and the possibility of a new version that will include blue ray playback. i hope i didn't buy too soon.

•••••••••••••••
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

EPS4

One console that needs a bigger hard drive...

The Nintendo Wii. (Alright, technically it uses flash memory and not a hard drive) Seriously, you expect people to get all this downloadable content there should be enough room to store it- the Wii doesn't even have 1GB!
pepperxn
join:2001-02-21

pepperxn

xbox 360, ps3, wii

Xbox 360 120GB hard drive will drop to $150 in September, and the 20GB standalone drives will be gone by then. The standalone 60GB drive will be available for others in late October/early November. This was on the same leaked paper that told about the price cut. Who'd buy the Arcade model? Easy. No one. Everyone buying an Xbox 360 now would buy the Pro (or Elite) model. The Pro stock should clear quick that way. The core model was designed for gamers who don't want to spend $400 to get the hd (and other things), but they could add those later on. With the price drop to $350 for the Pro, it basically eliminated the need for a core system. The core system became the Arcade (included with 5 games and a wireless controller now) to compete with the Nintendo Wii. What the 60GB Xbox Live starter pack does is brings Core/Arcade owners up to the level of the Pro model. Could this mean the end of the Arcade in the near future? Possibly.

The 60GB drive is probably cheaper than the 20GB drive, so it's a no brainer to phase out the 20GB one. Microsoft won't say that, but they will say that they're listening to their customers and they want more storage. Since you have to buy the hd from them, they could raise the price (currently $180 for a 120GB hd and the 60GB will be $100). Plus, how does that look, you get 20GB more storage for $50 less than PS3 (40GB).

Sony will be replacing the 40GB PS3 in early August. Since I know the Dual Shock 3 is the only PS3 controller being made now, it'll be included for sure. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a hd upgrade to 60GB. Basically the 60GB model may return (with component upgrades). It was stated that they will listen to its customers, and if they want the 60GB back, they'll get it.

The Wii only has 512MB NAND flash memory. Do a search for the cost of that. $23 for 8GB. When the Wii launched, the expensive components that were added included the NAND flash memory. It makes you ask yourself how much profit is Nintendo making?
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: xbox 360, ps3, wii

said by pepperxn:

Xbox 360 120GB hard drive will drop to $150 in September,
Still overpriced by at least $50.
and the 20GB standalone drives will be gone by then. The standalone 60GB drive will be available for others in late October/early November.
Yeah for probaly the same $100 they're selling the 20 GB for. And sorry $100 for 60 GB is WAY overpriced. Shouldn't even be $50. This is the same company that sells 512 MB memory cards for $50 instead of letting people use a $20 2 GB USB thumbdrive to save games like the PS3 does.
Since you have to buy the hd from them, they could raise the price (currently $180 for a 120GB hd and the 60GB will be $100). Plus, how does that look, you get 20GB more storage for $50 less than PS3 (40GB).
No wi-fi( $100 for the add-on ) and no blu-ray. Once again you can use ANY 2.5" HDD on a PS3. Also the 360 HDD is gimped. You can't move stuff bought from XBL or gave saves to an external HDD like you can with the PS3.

PCgamer08
@bellsouth.net

PCgamer08

Anon

The bottom line

After many years of ignoring m$ and watching the pc game industry slowly move over to the 360 I have to consider the fact that if I want to play new fps games I'm gonna need a 360. I may buy one just to play fps games so I don't have to go out and get the latest video card every single year. The only thing holding me back from that besides money is the lack of keyboard and mouse but recently I found a third party adaptor online that allows use of a keyboard and mouse for $89.00 although steep it might be worth it if I really want to play these newfangled WWII same ol crap fps games. Gears of war is looking more and more interesting everyday and I don't even plan to use the online portion of the system, I don't like playing online so all this extra hdd space crap may be useless to me? I dunno so I will ask some bottom line questions here...

If I get a keyboard and mouse adaptor that works are there any fun FPS games to play besides gears of war and halo?

Has anyone sucessfully played the latest armored core game on the 360 with some kind of keyboard and mouse adaptor?

What is the lowest priced version of the 360 that I can get for these needs of mine if I'm not gonna bother with online crap?

•••••
JerryTongue
join:2003-04-01
Auburn, WA

JerryTongue

480 and 720p looks good

I have a couple 360's and I bought the elite with the 120g hard drive not for movie storage and music but for all the free demo's. If I want to listen to music and stream movies I can do it from my PC to my xbox if I so chose to and I do buy movies time and time again but you can't keep them, 24 hours after you start the movie it no longer is available unless you buy it again. Talking about Blue Ray they are making a portable one for those that want it and it is so far going to be cheaper than what you can go out and buy. The movies I buy off the market place cost no more than if I buy it off On Demand but the Quality even at 480 is far better than what I get from Comcast and is cheaper than buying it at 720p. I just think they realize 40g not much space any more with all the demos coming out so they are using the media end to push sales. 60g is ok but I wouldn't waist my money on it and spend the $175 something dollars and go straight for the 120g The 360 is a good DVD player in my opinion and well worth the money for all you get from it.

JSY
Premium Member
join:2000-04-05
Elmhurst, NY

JSY

Premium Member

Pricing...

All you people who complain about the BD price - do you all forget how much the players and software for DVDs were when they came out? My first DVD player was a Pioneer that cost $450 - and that was when the prices started to fall since they were more expensive a little while before then. DVDs were in the $30-$50 range. Prices will come down - they all eventually do.

That being said, some people like it and some people don't. I think it's totally fine for people who don't buy into the BD stuff since it's too expensive and they can't tell a difference, but I think some of you who can't resist saying that people who DO buy into it like to waste their money on overpriced media are being asses. Don't criticize other people to try to make up and justify your own opinion. That makes you seem unsure of your own opinion in the first place.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier

Premium Member

Yay?

My stock PS3 came with 80GB.