dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-07-17 18:59:58: It's generally agreed upon that this nation has no broadband policy whatsoever. We can probably all also agree that actually changing this might be a good idea for a supposed global technology leader. ..

SilverSurfer1
join:2007-08-19

1 recommendation

SilverSurfer1

Bipartisan like Special Exemptions from the Rule of Law

That is why we urge you to work in a bipartisan, bicameral way to enact federal legislation this year.
Hey, it worked so very well for the FISA rewrite/telco retroactive immunity bill in which the Gee Oh Pee got every single thing they wanted and the Dimbulbs said OK, why shouldn't the ISPs ask for more of the same.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

Re: Bipartisan like Special Exemptions from the Rule of Law

If you look at all the helpful government taxes on a POTS phone bill, you'll see why this isn't necessarily a great idea. Do we really need a federal line subscriber fee, and E911 fee, for our Internet?

jester121
Premium Member
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL

1 recommendation

jester121

Premium Member

Err no.

quote:
We can probably all also agree that actually changing this might be a good idea.
National policy on just about anything is a stupid idea -- it's a complete contrivance. We've seen what the Democrat/liberal energy policy has gotten us, and these ridiculous notions of "national ------- policy" and "war on -------" pretty much make me tired.

How about a war on politicians, lobbyists, and bureaucrats?

Sabre
Di relung hatiku bernyanyi bidadari
join:2005-05-17

Sabre

Re: Err no.

There has to be some sort of policy. Even if that policy is an official "hands-off" from the government, there should be some official position that Washington takes. Right now the lack of any statement is a recipe for ambiguity and chaos, wherein anyone will try anything, no matter how bad of an idea it is.

Sure, let it be a policy of whatever you want, even if it's complete private-sector management with no governmental interference at all. At least that's a policy, at least it's something official. Right now it's "anything goes" if you can get it passed, which does little good to anyone who's not a multi-billionaire (to pay off the lawmakers).
Relic (banned)
join:2003-09-29

2 edits

Relic (banned) to jester121

to jester121
said by jester121:
quote:
We can probably all also agree that actually changing this might be a good idea.
National policy on just about anything is a stupid idea -- it's a complete contrivance. We've seen what the Democrat/liberal energy policy has gotten us, and these ridiculous notions of "national ------- policy" and "war on -------" pretty much make me tired.

How about a war on politicians, lobbyists, and bureaucrats?
War on things (people, atheism/agnosticism, gays) is something Republicans do. Educating one's self and putting the consumer first is something neither side has thought about. Unfortunately a national policy is necessary, but neither Democrats nor Republicans are useful for much (in regards to Joe consumer/voter) nowadays.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

1 edit

jc10098

Hey, I'M OFFENDED at that statement of "politicians aren't useful for much". Where would the world get it's unlimited supply of hot air, empty promises, and meaningless banter from without these people? After all, isn't their sole duty to get elected and not represent the people once put into office? I was always under the impression that politics first, and constituents last. What good do these "constituents" do anyway, other than demand action to be taken. It's a lot more fun to listen to cash rich lobbyists instead. So I argue your point, and say politicians for the win!

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium Member
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA

scrummie02 to Relic

Premium Member

to Relic
War on capitalism, the Constitution, free-market and self reliance is something liberals do.

I see how well the government runs things like Social Security, energy policy and health care. I'd rather they stay out of it if it's all the same. They pretty much screw up anything they touch. the Democrat party or the GOP don't give a damn about the consumer, which is all the more reason they should butt out.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

said by scrummie02:

War on capitalism, the Constitution, free-market and self reliance is something liberals do.
Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

Man it's so sad these days. You can't have a single post critcizing large corporate agenda without the rabid right wing posters coming out in droves and blaming everything on "Liberals". It must be great being able to go through life so blind to the truth and being able to blame *everything* on someone else.
jc10098

jc10098

I blame you for making sense. Stop it. You might make others think, and we all know where thinking leads. Therefore, I propose we have a war on thinking. This war will target intellectuals and all those who reason for themselves. Anyone caught reasoning or thinking will be labeled unpatriotic and branded as such. Further disobeying this order will force us to place you into the "terrorist" category. Anyone placed into the terrorist category will be locked up and force to "re-think" about their actions. Failure to find remorse and apologize for said breach will result in childish name calling and finger pointing. Who is with me on this war?

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

1 recommendation

Karl Bode

News Guy

quote:
I blame you for making sense. Stop it. You might make others think, and we all know where thinking leads. Therefore, I propose we have a war on thinking. This war will target intellectuals and all those who reason for themselves. Anyone caught reasoning or thinking will be labeled unpatriotic and branded as such.
I've got news for you. While you're joking, that war started in the 70's with the advent of the Nixon-era think tank, and evolved in the 80's with evangelical-tied think tank support of concepts like "intelligent design."
jc10098

1 edit

jc10098

Yes yes, I was joking, you busted me. It was satire. Now to a serious note, it was satire with truth. I think we're run by SMART PEOPLE. Politicians play to the masses and know what buttons to press. The People they serve (us) are inherently dumb. Those who questions their decisions are considered "intellectuals" and are often called names for causing rifts in the establishment. It seems our right these days as an American is to sit back and watch ourselves get screwed. Speaking out gets you labeled with Buzz words. UnAmerican, UnPatriotic, etc that no one wants to be stigmatized with. Therefore, we just sit back and fall in line like everyone else. It's quite sad. If the 60's generation could look at us today (from their shoes back then), they'd realize what morons we've become. We've gone from a politically active culture, to one too stupid to hold our elected officials accountable for squat.
dfxmatt
join:2007-08-21
Crystal Lake, IL

1 edit

dfxmatt

whoops.

please delete

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to jc10098

Premium Member

to jc10098

said by jc10098:

Yes yes, I was joking, you busted me. It was satire. Now to a serious note, it was satire with truth. I think we're run by SMART PEOPLE. Politicians play to the masses and know what buttons to press. The People they serve (us) are inherently dumb. Those who questions their decisions are considered "intellectuals" and are often called names for causing rifts in the establishment. It seems our right these days as an American is to sit back and watch ourselves get screwed. Speaking out gets you labeled with Buzz words. UnAmerican, UnPatriotic, etc that no one wants to be stigmatized with. Therefore, we just sit back and fall in line like everyone else. It's quite sad. If the 60's generation could look at us today (from their shoes back then), they'd realize what morons we've become. We've gone from a politically active culture, to one too stupid to hold our elected officials accountable for squat.
My thoughts exactly and very well put. I could not have said it better myself. Great post! One of the mopre intelligent ones I have seen in a long time, especially when it involves politics!!

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:

You can't have a single post critcizing large corporate agenda without the rabid right wing posters coming out in droves and blaming everything on "Liberals".
Nothing wrong with casting blame to where it is due. Nearly every major problem this country faces can be traced to liberalism.

bolt
End of the line DSL sucks.
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Charlestown, IN

bolt

Premium Member

said by pnh102:

Nothing wrong with casting blame to where it is due. Nearly every major problem this country faces can be traced to politicians.
Fixed that for you.
jc10098

1 edit

jc10098 to pnh102

to pnh102
LOL @ PNH.

I seriously think you believe your own crap. Liberalism ruins the country?

Last I checked, it wasn't a "LIBERAL" running things and this country is RUINED.

1) Borrowed 6+ Trillion from foreign countries that has only serve to devalue our dollar to HISTORIC and unprecedented lows.

2) Inflation is at a 26 Year high. We are now seeing record rising costs, not experienced, since the 1970s.

3)We are working against the Constitution and taking away freedoms on "WARS". IE War on Terrorism (can't fight an entity) and suspension of habeous corpus( Thought that was a guranteed right?), etc.

The list goes on.

Long story short, it's politicians that RUIN this country. Instead of people coming to office representing Americans, we see years of empty promises, false rhetoric, and the same games from BOTH SIDES. The only difference between a Republican and Democrat is a Republican BORROWS to pay for his bad spending, and a Democrat Taxes. When it comes to USELESS WARS, both sides are guilty, too. Democrats have Vietnam and Republicans got Iraq (x2) and a bunch of missions in South America. Republicans TEND to be worse on this aspect, always starting a war somewhere (big $$$ contracts to arms dealers / friends anyone?). Then, you got things like Oliver North selling guns and Regan Administration selling Drugs to finance the Sandistas in South America.

About the ONLY real difference between the parties are:

Abortion - Women's choice, not your body they can do as they want. People don't tell you what medical treatments or things to do to your body.

Gay Marriage - a 2000 year old book says it's wrong. Lots of these "religious" books exist. People can do as they want, and religion shouldn't DICTATE against that. Then again, the religious right would have you believe the world would collapse otherwise if this happened. Strange enough, Gay Animals exist in nature so guess it isn't such an abomination, after all.

Religion in school - They mean THEIR RELIGION, as if some kid wanted to have Wiccan or Pagan ceremony, I can imagine the protests =).

So there you go PNH. You're ignorance is bliss. Both parties suck, and the right tends to be the WORST.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

Liberalism ruins the country?
Yes, it does.
said by jc10098:

Last I checked, it wasn't a "LIBERAL" running things and this country is RUINED.
Doesn't they didn't act as a liberal. Bush is one of the most liberal big government presidents we've had. He's grown spending and government in a way that would make LBJ and FDR blush.
said by jc10098:

1) Borrowed 6+ Trillion from foreign countries that has only serve to devalue our dollar to HISTORIC and unprecedented lows.
That's liberalism.
said by jc10098:

2) Inflation is at a 26 Year high. We are now seeing record rising costs, not experienced, since the 1970s.
That's the direct result of liberalism.
said by jc10098:

3)We are working against the Constitution and taking away freedoms on "WARS". IE War on Terrorism (can't fight an entity) and suspension of habeous corpus( Thought that was a guranteed right?), etc.
Yawn. Again, you are wrong about the writ of habeas corpus. Go read the Constitution and you will find that it can be (and has been) suspended legally.
jc10098

1 edit

jc10098

No, that's the definition of STUPIDITY. Similar to your ENTIRE POST.

As for the suspension of Habeas corpus, just because it's happened, DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT. Hitler exterminated 6 million Jews. Does that make it right, since it happened in history? The Catholic, Baptist, etc Church even helped him do it. Does that make these organizations right? They are suppose to be organizations of this so called "GOD" yet they lend a hand in exterminating "His" creations. Funny. What about our taking land from the Indians. We duped them and stole their land. Now we do the same to fellow Americans. The Supreme Court ruled Eminent domain can be used by business to FORCIBLY take your land. Is this right? You're ignorance shines every time you type. Just because things happen, A) DOESN'T MAKE THEM "LIBERAL" B) DOESN'T MAKE THEM RIGHT. They are just poor choices by BAD PEOPLE. Similar to your own actions.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

No, that's the definition of STUPIDITY. Similar to your ENTIRE POST.

As for the suspension of Habeas corpus, just because it's happened, DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT.
Uh, the fact that the Constitution allows for the suspension of Habeas Corpus does in fact make such suspensions, when done under Constitutionally permitted circumstances, right.
jc10098

jc10098

Where is it permitted. SHOW ME IN WRITING. I would LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE to know where it says that wording. So once again, stop posting COMMENTS without knowing what you're saying The fact that Lincoln DID IT in the Civil War and Bush is doing it now DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT. Better yet, here's a piece of knowledge for you.

In 1864, Lambdin P. Milligan and four others were accused of planning to steal Union weapons and invade Union prisoner-of-war camps and were sentenced to hang by a military court. However, their execution was not set until May 1865, so they were able to argue the case after the war ended. In Ex Parte Milligan 71 U.S. 2 (1866), the Supreme Court of the United States decided that the suspension of the writ did not empower the President to try and convict citizens before military tribunals. The trial of civilians by military tribunals is allowed only if civilian courts are closed. This was one of the key Supreme Court Cases of the American Civil War that dealt with wartime civil liberties and martial law.

So let's see, 1865 Supreme Court ruling means citizens can't be tried in military tribunals. Fast Forward to 2001+ and Bush held Jose Padilla and other Americans indefinitely and tried to use military trials on them. It seems the Constitution and prior rulings don't have much baring when power hungry people get done with their agendas.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

Where is it permitted. SHOW ME IN WRITING. I would LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE to know where it says that wording.
Article 1, Section 9:
quote:
The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion, the public safety may require it.

jc10098

2 edits

jc10098

Well let's see. We aren't in a rebellion and public safety is not at risk. If you want to argue public safety, then the U.S. should be under Marshall law until such time this supposed war on terror is won. After all, everyone of Muslim faith (sarcasm) is out to get us, and we've never had a U.S. attack ever (Timothy Mcveigh). So anyhow, Let's do that. Marshall law. Screw the Court system all together. Just toss anyone who questions anything in jail, and throw away the key. No one is to be trusted, since everyone of every faith is a potential terrorist. Let's live our lives running in circles and in fear of the boogeyman. This boogey man killed 3000 people in 9/11 I might add. The murdrer rate in this country is 16-22,000 a year. So in that same time frame, 140,000 people have died due to murder, but terrorism will KILL US ALL (play scary and paranoid music) Anyhow, we gave trial to Timothy Mcveigh. What makes the likes of Jose Padilla or said parties any different? Both were terrorists. One a fanatical religious zealot and the other well the same. Waiting....

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

Well let's see. We aren't in a rebellion and public safety is not at risk.
Really?

Very well then. When B. Hussein Obama becomes president, we'll have all the detainees at Club Gitmo granted bail... to your house.
jc10098

jc10098

Another post without truth. So you'd prefer to lock these men up indefinitely and tarnish the U.S.'s reputation further? Strange, then I got some ideas.

We gather up any members of the Hells Angels, KKK, Aryian Nation, and any other hate group and do the same. After all, we can look at their past and present and conclude that Timothy McVeigh MUST represent them all. Therefore, it is better to take presumptive action and toss all these scumbags in jail. Who knows, we're just another white supremacist / fundamentalist attack around the corner. After all, one hasn't happened in 13 years. Another is BOUND to happen by the logic we're told daily.

Next, we can start by shutting down all the Mega churches that preach anti gay rhetoric. They spew hatred and incite violence. Let's lock all these dirt bags up too. The likes of Pat Robertson and the Late Jerry Falwell were equal to that of those Imams we call terrorists. No difference, both are calling for harm done to others.

So sure, let's go ahead and carry out your plan. I'd be happy to start getting rid of radical sects of people for random reasons. After all, I'm sick of these nutjobs forcing their pamphlets onto me, or standing at street corners preaching. If they were in jail, I wouldn't have to be bothered.

I like your idea. When do we build the jails to house religious morons. I say the Radical Christians should be housed in a hot location. After all, since they love preaching about "Hell" they should get to feel the heat they'll be enduring.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

Another post without truth. So you'd prefer to lock these men up indefinitely and tarnish the U.S.'s reputation further? Strange, then I got some ideas.
Actually I'd like to see them executed. They are illegal enemy combatants captured on foreign soil. According to the Geneva Convention, they are not entitled to any rights. Legally, they should have been turned into shark food by now.
jc10098

jc10098

Sweet, I would too. Let's gather up the Hells Angels. The Ku Klux Klan. The Aryian Nations. All Right Wing Fundamentalist Churches. Finally, we'll gather up all the Radical Muslims. Last, we'll get Faux / Fox News to host a reality show. That'll be one damn good show. I'd pay to see assholes like Pat Robertson sent to a fire squad televised live on Fox News. No cable crap. I want that shit on a big network! When do you propose you get this show together?

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

Sweet, I would too.
No you wouldn't. I can't see you harming any living creature.
jc10098

jc10098

So you say. I'd pay good money to see those lot of folks meet a firing squad. Do the world a HELL OF A LOT of good. We don't need radicals from any sides. Timothy Mcveigh's are no less dangerous than Osama Bin Ladin's. Lets just round up any fanatics from all religions and send them to this firing squad. That'd be some DAMN GOOD Prime Time Television.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

So you say. I'd pay good money to see those lot of folks meet a firing squad.
You wouldn't want to put them on trial first?
jc10098

jc10098

The Right Wing Christians? Hell no. See, if we are going after everyone in a free for all, I say line them up. We're using your logic here. You want the Muslims to meet this gauntlet. If that's the case, I say we go for broke and send the Christians too. Of course, the Fanatical Christians, Hate Groups, and Fanatical Muslims. After all, you're logic is dictating NO ONE DESERVES a trial. By that right, AIM, READY, FIRE. No trial needed. Save tax payers the money. If we mess up, let your god, their god, or whatever exists sort them out in the end =).

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by jc10098:

The Right Wing Christians? Hell no.
So you believe that terrorists should have civil rights but not Right Wing Christians. Gotcha.

••••••••••••••••••••
cyclone_z
join:2006-06-19
Ames, IA

cyclone_z to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by jc10098:

Well let's see. We aren't in a rebellion and public safety is not at risk.
Really?

Very well then. When B. Hussein Obama becomes president, we'll have all the detainees at Club Gitmo granted bail... to your house.
Do you even know what a writ of habeas corpus is?

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by cyclone_z:

Do you even know what a writ of habeas corpus is?
You must be new here. There's been plenty of discussion of how suspending the writ is legally sanctioned by the Constitution already.

pspcrazy
Anime Freak
join:2008-02-06
San Diego, CA

pspcrazy to jc10098

to jc10098
said by jc10098:

Gay Marriage - a 2000 year old book says it's wrong. Lots of these "religious" books exist. People can do as they want, and religion shouldn't DICTATE against that. Then again, the religious right would have you believe the world would collapse otherwise if this happened. Strange enough, Gay Animals exist in nature so guess it isn't such an abomination, after all.
Using animals to prove that point: priceless, and no I'm not saying that in a good way.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

Nearly every major problem this country faces can be traced to liberalism.
Dream on. You'll bend over backwards to link every problem to liberalism, you mean.

pnh102
Premium Member
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

said by KrK:

Dream on.
I really wish liberalism was a dream.

mech1164
I'll Be Back
join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

mech1164 to KrK

to KrK
said by KrK:

said by scrummie02:

Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

Man it's so sad these days. You can't have a single post critcizing large corporate agenda without the rabid right wing posters coming out in droves and blaming everything on "Liberals". It must be great being able to go through life so blind to the truth and being able to blame *everything* on someone else.
POT MEET KETTLE, If ya attack anyone attack the arse that started out on repubs. The other person was just doing a counterpoint to the first person. Oh wait that can't happen here then we are called corporate shills. Well this corporate shill is none too happy with the isp's at all. Both sides in congress are hopelessly lost in the wilderness. They can't hear the people screaming. Well atleast some are that's why Pelosi is not bringing a vote on an energy policy cause the other side wants to have a vote on offshore drilling. Not only does she not have the votes her own people are finally hearing from the people they represent. They are starting to run scared on this so she's killing a vote on it.

Back to topic I hate what the isp's are trying to get away with. But there are plenty of dem and repub hands out for their money. So we are all screwed.

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Counterpoint my ass. Just the usual crap. "All the liberals fault." It's not only patently false, but all it means that you can slap a label on it and shove it into a box in your mind and never have to deal with actual reality ever again. I guess that's way too appealing for SOME people.
Relic (banned)
join:2003-09-29

1 edit

Relic (banned) to scrummie02

to scrummie02
said by scrummie02:

War on capitalism
Bill Clinton is the reason free trade is here. Strike 1.
quote:
the Constitution
Affording gays the right of marriage is not something "liberals" are against. Strike 2.
quote:
free-market
Already mentioned above.
quote:
self reliance
Right to privacy, advocating solar energy (private homes using solar panels), i.e. alternative energy (competition), organic food (home grown). Ouch. Strike 3. You're out.

In the mean time, I think I'll hit a home run with the rest of the nonsense you spew:
quote:
I see how well the government runs things like Social Security
You mean this administration (Republican). Social Security was fine until some dumbasses took money out of it and attempted to "privatize". Of course, since the market is worth a crap, sure looks like the elderly would get completely screwed. Look to Germany, they, unlike this country, know how to do retirement benefits/wages.
quote:
energy policy
Exactly what solutions have Republicans brought? Jack. ****.

I guess for the $2.00+ raise in gas prices in the last few years, we should drill for $0.03 - $0.06 per gallon saved, if it isn't exported (which most of it will be). Great solutions.
quote:
and health care
Given there's no universal health care, because it's screwed up, don't look to liberals. Every other first world nation has universal but this country. No wonder it sucks.
quote:
I'd rather they stay out of it if it's all the same. They pretty much screw up anything they touch. the Democrat party or the GOP don't give a damn about the consumer, which is all the more reason they should butt out.
There are good times and bad times to "butt out". Thankfully, the founding fathers understood that a "country" is a "society", and to run effectively, you need government to assist. I've made a living pissing off both liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, but I can tell you one thing -- conservatives (Republicans, whatever you want to group them as, since people like to associate that way) need to find themselves an island all to themselves, because that's all they're worried (and care) about. Let the country decide collectively, when it affects the masses, how to run it to best suit everyone. To that, it should benefit.

••••••••••••••••

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to jester121

Premium Member

to jester121
said by jester121:

We've seen what the Democrat/liberal energy policy has gotten us...

Anyone remember history? Who remembers Dick Cheney's secret energy policy, where at the beginning of this failed administration, he got together with Oil companies officials, and largely behind closed door, they formulated our "National Energy Policy"?

Are we even surprised at this result? So sure, blame it all on Democrats and act like drilling in the National Refuge would have prevented all this.... Crazy.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En ··· sk_Force

m0sick
@verizon.net

m0sick to jester121

Anon

to jester121
sorry, um, you might wanna say GOP energy policy, as in closed door, money only access to leaders energy policy of the right wing Headmaster, Dick Cheney.

why is it the right can never admit to being wrong, even when they are? I personally believe that narrow party line thinking, no matter which side of the aisle, is abhorrent to human nature in general, and thus needs reinforcement thru jingoism, propaganda, logos, false patriotism, for it to even exist.

oh please, learn where to actually point a finger, they BOTH are to blame, however, the most harm has come from a "National Policy" contrived and engaged by one man, and his small, tight knit group of lackeys.

buy you lobby tickets now! - National Internet Policy for sale!

gimme a break

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel

Premium Member

Connected Sham

Living in Kentucky all of my life I've seen the original Connected Kentucky do nothing but put a smoke and mirror show, it's just a real sham that the Connected Natioin is doing the same thing.
ossito16
join:2004-07-31
Whiting, IN

ossito16

nationalize

just in the past few days the Feds took over control of Indymac. They also found they were giving out loans to people who could not afford them. Remember Anderson accounting another shady company helping other companies be shady. I say let the Feds take over one of these telco/cable giants, let them know there will be consequences for screwing with citizens.

•••••

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

134 billion?

At that price tag everyone should have fiber no matter where you live.

So if they get this money they (isp) will still want to cap the hell out of us at 5g a month

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Re: 134 billion?

Good luck on that one....
This is basically another form of USF.
That $134 billion will go into a slush fund, and might give some rural areas access to basic internet services.
A lot of the money will be burned by advertising, profit margins, buildout measures, lawyers, CEO's golden parachutes, etc.

Companies don't really care where they get money from...they just care how they spend it.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

Nice Op/Ed

Good job. I agree on all points.

••••••••••

Glaice
Brutal Video Vault
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
North Babylon, NY

Glaice

Premium Member

Why?

Why are they even allowed to do stupid shit like this to decieve the public? Money grubbing scum and their lobbyists..

••••••••
backness
join:2005-07-08
K2P OW2

1 recommendation

backness

Hoover Dam

Sounds like a Hoover dam type project

••••••
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7

sorta interesting, but..

While this country does need something to happen to insure that we have the back haul and service's built out to every potential citizen interested in the service the same as power and phone.. I would like to see the funds monitored so that Teleco's would first have to buildout service's before adding yet MORE speed to previous broadband markets.. Only exceptions is when the upgrade helps the bottleneck down stream...
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

History repeats itself.

Broadband Service Providers are taking same position as the Power Cartel did in the 1930's, when the Roosevelt Administration wanted to provide government support to extend power and telephone service to Rural America. If the Power Cartel got their way, Rural America would still be using Kerosene Lamps and Outhouses. The Roosevelt Administration provided low interest loans to rural power cooperatives to purchase the necessary equipment to distribute electrical power. The broadband cartel has the same idea. Do not spend the money to provide broadband service to Rural America while using their lawyers to prevent anyone else from providing broadband service to Rural America.
RibaldJester
join:2006-10-20
Urbana, IL

RibaldJester

Re: History repeats itself.

And when communities try to "go it on their own" and form a municipal fiber network - Telco's sue them! Un-believable! The sooner AT&T gets destroyed the better.

Grammaticist
@comcast.net

Grammaticist

Anon

Christ.

"under served" has a fucking hyphen. I'm going to tear my hair out. And they sent that to congress? Course Congress doesn't bother to read what comes before it anymore...so why bother?

KrK
Premium Member
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

"Give us National Broadband Policy.... Translation...."

"Grant us exclusive protections from competition, and give us taxpayer money."

This is a joke!

A bad one! On the American people, of course.
KrK

1 edit

KrK

Premium Member

"Whether they succeed will depend on..."

"Whether they succeed will depend on whether the media (oh look, an iPhone!), consumers and lawmakers let them."

We're screwed.
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy

Premium Member

Re: "Whether they succeed will depend on..."

with all the hot air coming from DC we need to capture it and use it to heat our homes and produce elctricity by using the air to turn the turbines for the electricity production

canucklehead
@shawcable.net

canucklehead

Anon

free advice to a presidential candidate......

1. give them (these isps), a 50% corporate tax break, for building out their "*existing networks" covering 99.999xxxx% of the total us population, including occupied/controlled territory(upon completion, sunset clause TBD). This would also depend on a realized 100 billion in economic growth ( in a max time frame of say, 15 years).
1A. this group of companies to put up a performance bond of, say half the expected growth, dependant upon timeline.
2. Federal money in the neiborhood of what the us gov bailed out bear stearns to cover those "hard to reach communities".
3.COST to SUB. The cost to EVERY SUB from a system is the same across ALL SYSTEMS

* existing network = what is available to 0.01% of subs is available to 100% of subs, no execptions.

Pros:
consumer - same(not necessarily fair) pricing for bob in downtown miami to fred in avg farming community.
employee - more work, more job security
indirect employee(contractors for build outs)- immediate TEMOPRAY cash infusion to these communities.
company - a huge tax relief, after all of the other loopholes
govt $$ - should be enough to offset shareholder jitteers(maybe)

cons - no way around it, everyone will probably pay more(its gonna cost someone to service freds farming community)
community cash infusions - temporary is exactly that.
build out costs - maybe more than investors can handle
corporate lawyers - will always be able find/buy loopholes

Thats it. Net Neutrality,"listening in" ect should, for the most part could be argued/covered by existing laws & practicies(RECO, Collusion, ect), with the final say belonging to the current and future supreme court justices.

feel free to add/subtract to this point of view.

Mr Anon
@comcast.net

Mr Anon

Anon

I agree.....

I SO MUCH agree with this article. Just the other day, Comcast was FURIOUS because a judge in Chattanooga, TN dismissed their lawsuit against the local electric utility.

They were suing them, because they wanted to provide broadband and telecommunications service to people in their area.....people that Comcast REFUSED to provide such services to.

In my area just 10 minutes from Nashville, both Comcast AND BellSouth (now AT&T) have refused to provide broadband to my area...despite the fact that many people in my area have been demanding it. I have been bugging Comcast and BellSouth for 6 fucking years....Comcast even OWNS MY CABLE SYSTEM....yet they STILL refuse to upgrade it to digital.

I say write or call or email your Congressperson, and let them know that this theoretical "National Broadband Policy" being touted by these companies IS nothing more than a sham designed to keep their customers WITHOUT broadband.
Mr Matt
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Rural America needs an advocate.

My parents were an early victim of Cherry Picking in a rural area. When the cable cartel installed cable in their area in the early 1980's, the cable company refused to extend cable along the road that passed their house. Although there were about eight other potential customers along that road, the cable company claimed that it would not be profitable to install cable in that area. At that time Direct Broadcast Satellite did not exist and my parents had to do without cable.

Mr Anon
@k12.il.us

Mr Anon

Anon

This is all good and true but...

I'm not disagreeing that this is bad news for consumers and that the companies rather collectively fight doing work and spending money or disagreeing what and how they are trying to do this.

My only question to you Karl Bode is how do we fight this?
Drew Clark
join:2008-02-07

1 edit

Drew Clark

Getting good statistics about brodband available to public

Good post, Karl, on the CWA-Connected Nation-carrier letter.

At »broadbandcensus.com/blog/?p=104, I blogged about this yesterday -- how odd it is that the Bell- and cable- groups are now wrapping themselves in the mantle of universal broadband -- while skirting the issue of who is going to assess whether or not we really have it.

One might add that one can’t tell whether they're telling the truth because the FCC’s broadband statistics (whether garbage or not) are not released to the public!

Drew Clark
»broadbandcensus.com

USTelecom
@qwest.net

USTelecom

Anon

U.S. Telecom Investment reaches $60 billion for Broadband

Ensuring broadband reaches all Americans isn’t a Democratic or Republican goal. It’s a NATIONAL goal. USTelecom members are united in support of policies that advance this vital interest. This includes supporting broadband mapping and innovative public-private partnerships that are bringing broadband to communities across the country.

As we work toward this goal, it would be a mistake to dismiss the effectiveness of public-private efforts to eliminate gaps in broadband service. Since the inception of ConnectKentucky, broadband availability in that state has increased from 60 percent to 95 percent. Throughout rural America, broadband adoption rose nearly 25% in the past year.

In 2007, roughly 1,400 U.S. Internet providers invested $60 billion to expand and upgrade the nation’s communications infrastructure. The Yankee Group estimates private companies will invest another $60 billion this year and $70 billion next year in these vital efforts. These annual investments are more than twice what the U.S. government spent putting a man on the moon and building our interstate highway system—combined.

Public policy and private investment are making substantial progress for our nation today—and consumers and our information economy are the prime beneficiaries of continuing this approach.

Tom Amontree
USTelecom
onlyrh40
North York, ON

onlyrh40

Re: U.S. Telecom Investment reaches $60 billion for Broadband

America,saddled with two political parties beholden to big business.
Even little countries like Ireland have over a half dozen political parties, the country to the north has (count them) five political parties.

Is there a lack of political ideas, ambition, will or is it that big business can only afford two political parties.
I know it is the American way, but it is not working in the interests of the American people.
Vote early and vote often, there is still hope.