spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-07-23 16:15:35: For years, ISPs have been either outsourcing their newsgroup access or eliminating it as a perk altogether. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

UsenetUser

@swbell.net

I use

iUsenet.com

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Altopia

I recommend Altopia »www.altopia.com

Us old timers know them as alt.net

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Never used one....

In all honesty, I have never once used a newsgroup in all the (many) years I have been on the internet. I dont see what the big deal is anyway, because as far as I can tell all they do is offer a place to get pirated content or questionable image files.

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up

join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast

Horse and Buggy Technology

The explains use net to me.

I see this ISP using the crackdown as an excuse so they would not have to waste time on a vocal minority. The web a la Blogs, and Social networking killed USENET. I haven't installed a Usenet reader in two years. Today most groups I was involved with are unused or just spam. What next for you Karl, we bring back Gopher.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 edits

Some links for those looking for best Newsgroup providers

A few links comparing the different newsgroup services, showing price, features, etc.:
»www.newsgroupservers.net/
»www.newsgroupreviews.com/
»www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=3&sort=all

The ones the editors like best:
»www.newsgroupreviews.com/Editors_Choice.html

»www.slyck.com/ngnew.php?page=3
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page
Ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?

halo5

join:2000-07-20
Dayton, OH

Newshosting

Been using them for years. The guys that started it also had an ISP here in Dayton for years that I worked at.

Probably assembled 1/2 their server farm over the years.

kenneth_banya

@dsl.bell.ca
Couldnt be happier with »www.blocknews.net here. They have all the standard features like SSL and account types plus you can get weekly unlimited accounts for like 5 bucks. If you can save up your downloads, this is the way to go.

Dread
On course
Premium
join:2005-02-28
Bronx, NY
kudos:8

Giganews

Well worth the premium

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
reply to FFH5

Re: Some links for those looking for best Newsgroup providers

Slyck, in my opinion, is the best non-biased resource so far for comparing servers. Most of the other ones will play up whoever can give the best affiliate/referral payouts.
--
Usenet Accounts

sherman06810

join:2000-10-15
Danbury, CT
reply to Dread

Re: Giganews

Agreed. Sucking down @ 60 megabits/second here at school

pathfinda
Premium
join:2002-09-11
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

NewsHosting...

..all the Way. Been with them for five years, no problems, love the support.

fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering

1 recommendation

The Atlanta Journal Constitution.....

All my news is grouped into one paper.

openbox9
Premium
join:2004-01-26
Germany
reply to wifi4milez

Re: Never used one....

said by wifi4milez:

as far as I can tell all they do is offer a place to get pirated content or questionable image files.
You don't see the big deal in that

FatalClaws

@impulse.net

Tera News

I have a free account (initial $3.95 set up fee) from »www.teranews.com/

The download limit is 50MB per day, but if you only want to read and post news you can't beat them. 50MB doesn't give much room for downloads, but music files would be fine if you kept an eye on the usage.

texans20
Premium
join:2002-09-28
Texas!

1 recommendation

Powerusenet

They're a Giganews reseller, with less retention but also a bit cheaper. They have the same speed and reliability of Giganews.

kenyg

join:2001-02-09
Hatboro, PA

Newshosting

Another thumbs up here.
--
aye aye captain!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

You mean warezgroups?

I've walked away from USENET, although my ISP seems to have pretty good service. They're pretty good for getting filez I guess, but they suck for discussion now.
--
Iraq Coalition Deaths | bobrk

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to Scatcatpdx

Re: Horse and Buggy Technology

said by Scatcatpdx:

The explains use net to me.

I see this ISP using the crackdown as an excuse so they would not have to waste time on a vocal minority. The web a la Blogs, and Social networking killed USENET. I haven't installed a Usenet reader in two years. Today most groups I was involved with are unused or just spam. What next for you Karl, we bring back Gopher.
Seems you don't "get" usenet then. The problem with the web is that people don't want to go to a bunch of different forums to discuss X,Y,Z with other users. People don't want to browse long blog diatribes by self-important writers. Usenet provides perfect, centralized discussion for the entire planet. Instead of thousands of servers with millions of independent forums, you have thousands of servers mirroring the same discussions, making the same discussions available worldwide. If i'm on usenet and i'm curious about conservatism, i'll lurk the conservative groups. If i'm on the web, i'm FAAAR more likely to stick to websites i know or that i'm linked to, because there's too much hassle in browsing random forums looking for that one rare forum with good discussion, where people won't berate you your first 100 posts for being a newbie, etc.. etc..

Usenet aint perfect, but it aint obsolete either.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

Philmatic
Premium
join:2000-07-15
Santa Barbara, CA
reply to Dread

Re: Giganews

Have to agree, worth every penny. I can pull about 80mbps when my co-located server is pulling down files.

Dogfather
Premium
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA
reply to Dread
Ditto...worth the dough

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to wifi4milez

said by wifi4milez:

In all honesty, I have never once used a newsgroup in all the (many) years I have been on the internet. I dont see what the big deal is anyway, because as far as I can tell all they do is offer a place to get pirated content or questionable image files.
Don't take this personally, and no offense is intended, but your view is exactly typical of those who are completely ignorant on this subject and who voice an opinion based on absolutely nothing whatsoever - by your own admission of never having participating in the Usenet.

techlte

join:2003-01-01
US
reply to texans20

Re: Powerusenet

said by texans20:

They're a Giganews reseller, with less retention but also a bit cheaper. They have the same speed and reliability of Giganews.
Agreed. Who needs 200 days of retention anyhow!?! You can save a whole $10 a month by choosing Powerusenet over Giganews when it comes to SSL and unlimited bandwidth. For $19.99 a month Powerusenet provides 125 days of retention and SSL encryption.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY
reply to graysonf

said by graysonf:

said by wifi4milez:

Don't take this personally, and no offense is intended, but your view is exactly typical of those who are completely ignorant on this subject and who voice an opinion based on absolutely nothing whatsoever - by your own admission of never having participating in the Usenet.
So do you mean to imply that the vast majority of people visiting newsgroups do so for completely legal, non shady purposes?
--
If history teaches us anything, it teaches that simple-minded appeasement or wishful thinking about our adversaries is folly.
-Ronald Reagan-

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

No favorite here...

I'm currently using blocknews.net, but with a couple of outages lately they're not my favorite. That said, they do provide unlimited downloads maxing out my 15Mbps connection at little over $14/month.

MRGOOGLEABC

@cox.net
reply to wifi4milez

yeah, try visiting news.google.com for proof.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL
reply to wifi4milez
If you were to exclude the alt.binary newsgroups, yes.

Sebehk
United States Navy Retired, 1993-2013
Premium
join:2002-02-09
Pueblo, CO
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

NewsDemon is my favorite.

I have been using NewsDemon for about 3 years. I highly recommend them. Check out their various monthly plans.

--->Robert
8-)
--
Grey's Law - Any process, if left to itself, will always tend toward a state of chaos.

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
kudos:3
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·Vonage
reply to halo5

Re: Newshosting

said by halo5:

Been using them for years. The guys that started it also had an ISP here in Dayton for years that I worked at.

Probably assembled 1/2 their server farm over the years.
Started with Giganews, moved to Usenetserver, finally settled on Newshosting and have been there about three years. I recommend them.
--
"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy." - George Carlin

[my ramblings]

Stevert

join:2001-10-23
Algonquin, IL
reply to Phil

said by Phil:

If you were to exclude the alt.binary newsgroups, yes.
And not even all the alt.binary ng's are "bad".

I'm a railroad fan, and alt.binary.pictures.rail has to be one of the most family-friendly places I've ever visited.

jsnwtlr
Premium
join:2004-12-16
Carrollton, TX

I "Use" EasyNews

I've been using EasyNews for six years. I'm able to max out my 15mb FIOS line and download pretty much everything that I might want. It's very reasonably priced, too.