dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-08-12 13:03:09: TmoNews claims to have scooped some insider information that says the HTC Dream version of Google's Android phone will be up for pre-sale on September 17, with a broader launch coming later in the fall. ..

flyingjoey
join:2005-11-07
Jersey City, NJ

1 edit

flyingjoey

The Androids are coming the Androids are coming!!!

Will it go on TMos so called 3G... The one that no one has ever seen, smelled or even figured out where it is?

Will it allow Tether?

Will it have good battery life?

Will it talk?

Will it tell my wife to shut the F-up when she's yapping and giving me a headache?

Authority
join:2000-03-29
Los Angeles, CA

Authority

Hard to imagine they'd do it without UMA?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5 to flyingjoey

Premium Member

to flyingjoey
said by flyingjoey:

Will it tell my wife to shut the F-up when she's yapping and giving me a headache?
I hear that will be a downloadable app. But it will exact a high price - 1/2 your net worth when divorce proceedings are concluded.

kgforce
join:2001-04-18
Tucson, AZ

kgforce

Hope it's true

My wife's contract expires in Nov., and we both need new phones. I'm willing to dump Sprint for a decent Android phone -- this one looks like it would suit me perfectly. I'm already a longtime user of Gmail and Google Calendar. Hopefully it will have wi-fi. I'm also interested in getting the $10 Tmo-at-home service since we don't have ANY home phone now

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA

Steimes

Premium Member

It might have just been that I was watching it on my iphone (work blocks youtube), but I couldn't tell what Darth Vader was trying to do with that phone...

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO

NOCMan

Premium Member

CDMA Ignored again

Go Verizon!

Swingerhead
Premium Member
join:2004-04-06
Richmond, VA

Swingerhead to kgforce

Premium Member

to kgforce

Re: Hope it's true

Wow, you have a contact for a wife that expires! Thats awesome, can I make mine retroactive with a 5 year expiration? :-P

adsffeee
@assurant.com

adsffeee

Anon

Expected Sprint first

Thought Sprint would be first since they have the WiMAX relationship with Google as well as the largest 3G footprint.
zlm44mut4b
join:2003-07-28
Plano, TX

1 recommendation

zlm44mut4b to flyingjoey

to flyingjoey

Re: The Androids are coming the Androids are coming!!!

I think you forgot the most important question - will it blend?

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to adsffeee

Premium Member

to adsffeee

Re: Expected Sprint first

said by adsffeee :

Thought Sprint would be first since they have the WiMAX relationship with Google as well as the largest 3G footprint.
GSM is more prevalent worldwide...
raIDERspeed
join:2002-07-26
Soledad, CA

raIDERspeed to NOCMan

to NOCMan

Re: CDMA Ignored again

Verizon is going with Limo

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

quetwo

Premium Member

I thought this was supposed to be an open platform...

Then why the heck would I need a gMail account?? Sounds fishy...

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Pirate515 to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

Re: The Androids are coming the Androids are coming!!!

said by FFH5:

I hear that will be a downloadable app. But it will exact a high price - 1/2 your net worth when divorce proceedings are concluded.
Sadly, I think it will cost you more than half; you obviously forgot about the verbal abuse premium that this app will generate.

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

If it is only 3G...

If it only supports 3G, then I would pass. If it has a fallback to 2G GSM then fine. Unfortunately it appears this will be 3G only phone. Good luck with that T-Mobile. I'll stick with my current TMO phone.
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

EPS4

I really doubt they'd make a non-2G phone, especially for T-Mobile of all carriers... I think now 2G/EDGE is essentially assumed. (except for phones going to the Chinese market, which I believe is still mainly GPRS)
EPS4

EPS4 to tiger72

to tiger72

Totally irrelevant. HTC makes phones for CDMA and GSM.

The reason this is going to T-Mobile is because Sprint isn't the only company that Google works with- they've also been working very much with T-Mobile USA's parent company. This phone is supposed to be an international launch across T-Mobile International's networks, or so I've heard.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to n2jtx

Premium Member

to n2jtx

Re: If it is only 3G...

I would bet that it has 2G to fall back on to if it is a 3G phone. I have never seen a 3G phone that does not.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to EPS4

Premium Member

to EPS4

said by EPS4:

Totally irrelevant. HTC makes phones for CDMA and GSM.

The reason this is going to T-Mobile is because Sprint isn't the only company that Google works with- they've also been working very much with T-Mobile USA's parent company. This phone is supposed to be an international launch across T-Mobile International's networks, or so I've heard.
So, it's not "totally irrelevant" when T-Mobile and Deutsche Telekom operate a dozen GSM networks around the globe, and that "GSM is more prevalent worldwide", then is it?

cob_
1310nm Of Goodness
Premium Member
join:2003-07-08
Tulsa, OK

cob_

Premium Member

Too bad...

I really wanted my next phone to be Android-based, and upgrade comes in October on Sprint's network.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Swingerhead

Premium Member

to Swingerhead

said by Swingerhead:

Wow, you have a contact for a wife that expires! Thats awesome, can I make mine retroactive with a 5 year expiration? :-P
Be careful when uninstalling Wife 1.0.

»wilk4.com/humor/humorm281.htm
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

EPS4 to tiger72

to tiger72

Ah, but look at the other global wireless network with a US affiliate, Vodafone (/Verizon Wireless), which has a similar worldwide deal with RIMM for the BlackBerry Thunder- CDMA wasn't an obstacle there.

Subash Mandanapu
@193.253.159.x

Subash Mandanapu

Anon

The Androids are coming the Androids are coming

It might be true, that they may release during sep, but the price of $150 is very high for an android phone. Right now, the cost to own the iphone for 2 years will be around $2400. If tmo can bring this price down to 1200-1500, they may have good chance of succeeding without 3G. Let us wait and see.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to Swingerhead

Premium Member

to Swingerhead

said by Swingerhead:

Wow, you have a contact for a wife that expires!
Gotta watch that early termination fee, its a killer!

RedMatrix
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
Mission, TX

RedMatrix to ilikeme

Premium Member

to ilikeme

Re: If it is only 3G...

All T-Mo phones that are 3G can use the 2G network. Take my mom's Nokia 3555. It works fine, and we're not one of the markets to have 3G this year. /
maxpower90
join:2006-10-09
Providence, RI

maxpower90

I'll get it if...

I will get this phone for sure if Tmobile allows me to use it with my current unlimited usage data plan that I only pay $4.99 month for.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to EPS4

Premium Member

to EPS4

good point!

Gbcue
Premium Member