spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-08-13 17:32:58: My conversations with Frontier insiders indicate that company executives really hadn't fully cooked their cap plans before burying a reference to a 5GB monthly usage cap into their customer acceptable use policy, and the company's website and support.. ..

prev page · 1 · 2
EPS4

join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

Cellular

Perhaps they thought they could get away with such a low cap since it's essentially the standard among our 3G wireless carriers?

Of course, the difference is that the wireless companies don't want you to use their connection as your primary connection, while if you can't use DSL (or any wireline-based connection) as your primary home connection, there's really no point.
centsofhumor

join:2007-01-20
Two Rivers, WI

Wouldnt upgrading be necessary?

Wouldn't this require upgrading to equipment to keep track of all of the subs usage?

sjoegew

@rr.com

After everybody complains......

they will raise the cap to 20 gigs and act like they just did you a big favor. naturally they will have to get a bit more in monthly payments and they will note that the generous cap increase can be rolled back at their pleasure.

Sad to think that for many folks, the internet as we knew it will be gone. First ebay, now this.

Pragmatist

@verizon.net

Re: After everybody complains......

As I get older, I find myself looking at the Internet with the attitude of, "...so what if the implement caps. If they do that, I'll cancel my voice/video/data service and spend time with my family." I'm a FiOS subscriber, so we've got decent service here. However, I'm not going to play games with Verizon or Sprint (cell phone). I'll vote with my pocketbook and put that money into a vacation, gasoline to take trips/visit friends and family, spend more time with church, or whatever. I work in IT as it is, and, there's almost no redeeming value to the Internet and television programming. It's all ads, security alerts, and bad news. Who needs that all of the time? I don't have to drop $150/month for that...heck, I can spend 8 hours with my coworkers or drive through the rough side of town for next to nothing!

Go ahead Sprint, Verizon, Comcrap, et al...give me a reason to part with my money. Perhaps there will be a resurgence in what's really important in life instead of listening to you tell us what we "need" to hear. Then again, it doesn't help to see all of the people on here getting worried and acting like a meth addict who can't buy sinus meds anymore!

We give these people too much power. Believe it or not, life won't cease to exist or be less fulfilling if we took an apathetic view to dropping off the grid!

guitarzan
Premium
join:2004-05-04
Skytop, PA

said by Pragmatist :

As I get older, I find myself looking at the Internet with the attitude of, "...so what if the implement caps. If they do that, I'll cancel my voice/video/data service and spend time with my family." I'm a FiOS subscriber, so we've got decent service here. However, I'm not going to play games with Verizon or Sprint (cell phone). I'll vote with my pocketbook and put that money into a vacation, gasoline to take trips/visit friends and family, spend more time with church, or whatever. I work in IT as it is, and, there's almost no redeeming value to the Internet and television programming. It's all ads, security alerts, and bad news. Who needs that all of the time? I don't have to drop $150/month for that...heck, I can spend 8 hours with my coworkers or drive through the rough side of town for next to nothing!

Go ahead Sprint, Verizon, Comcrap, et al...give me a reason to part with my money. Perhaps there will be a resurgence in what's really important in life instead of listening to you tell us what we "need" to hear. Then again, it doesn't help to see all of the people on here getting worried and acting like a meth addict who can't buy sinus meds anymore!

We give these people too much power. Believe it or not, life won't cease to exist or be less fulfilling if we took an apathetic view to dropping off the grid!
agree completely, however I feel sorry for
quote:
those people on here getting worried and acting like a meth addict who can't buy sinus meds anymore
Who have bought into a contract only to have the rug yanked from under their feet with underhanded dirty sneaky tactics by frontier. Who will be beside themselves with joy to hit their customers with an ETF.

Did someone die and make the RIAA the boss of teleco's and product pricing and use?

Sorry but when I'm paying for a tube and some CEO decides to "tie my tube" with a 5GB upload/download limit per the 30 day billing cycle. That in itself makes me more "cranky" than a meth addict without sinus meds. Because that is not the service I purchased. This Being a teleco. It would be proper to "ring" these bean counters or decision makers up and "throttle" them by their neck, before dropping them out of one's wallet. That is the TOS they agreed to

Nice to see appearing on ones monthly bill, the greed used to turn a profit at my expense.

1. Lock customers by signing them into a one or two year contract, because it's a such a ratty product it can't sell itself.

2.Extort customers with an early termination fee who want out of a contract due to changes made the customer does not agree with or did not bargain or agree to in the first place.

3.Sell a service, then later decide how much or in this case how little one, can use a suddenly restricted service while being charged full $ price.

4.Attach every sort of "unfee" to collect for the government, when the government itself does not require such "tax" collection.

Corporations have NOT paid taxes as they would have sheeple believe.

Most companies in U.S. avoid federal income taxes
By Jennifer C. Kerr
Associated Press

Published: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 7:55 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 1:35 p.m.

Washington | Two-thirds of U.S. corporations paid no federal income taxes between 1998 and 2005, according to a new report from Congress.

The study by the Government Accountability Office, expected to be released Tuesday, said about 68 percent of foreign companies doing business in the U.S. avoided corporate taxes over the same period.
Collectively, the companies reported trillions of dollars in sales, according to GAO’s estimate.

“It’s shameful that so many corporations make big profits and pay nothing to support our country,” said Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., who asked for the GAO study with Sen. Carl

Levin, D-Mich.
»www.starnewsonline.com/article/2···UMNIST49

Most firms pay no income taxes - Congress
Study finds that the majority of domestic and foreign corporations in the United States avoid paying federal income taxes.
»money.cnn.com/2008/08/12/news/ec···?cnn=yes

»aleksandreia.wordpress.com/2008/···e-taxes/
Cancel Corporate Income Taxes « Alexandria
--
It's easier to manipulate non-religious people, Ever hear of Communism?
With out religion your are more suceptable to manipulation. Look at china, they banned religion. It's much easier to manipulate people who don't have any religious convictions.
jp10558
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY
Oddly enough, every few years my computer dies and I spend a month or 2 cut off saving up for the biggest, best gaming rig. No internet at home, no games, little/no TV. And each time I survive ok.

Seriously, I set up NetFlix from work + a DVD player for some video vegouts, Order from Amazon from work, or go to the local book store on the way home. I spent more time with friends and family, just going out of my computer room and doing stuff. Probably it's good for me.

If Frontier actually caps me such that the net is useless (5GB), I'll seriously consider whether I need more than dial-up for occasional setting of netflix, amazon and e-mail and maybe reading DLSR and Slashdot for forums... Don't really need high speed for this.

If I do decide I still want high speed net, I'll have to compare what satallite costs vs frontier business (if that gets me no caps) vs moving somewhere with better internet service. I hate to possibly "reward" frontier by purchasing business class service for more, but moving isn't cheap either...
--
Opera 9.51(Build 10081); Windows XP Pro SP3;Intel C2Q6600; 3GB DDR2 1066; 1M/128k DSL; Antivir Personal; Comodo Firewall Pro 3;Proxomitron 4.5j Sidki 2008beta,GPG ID:0x0A1C6EE3

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24

Satellite'll most likely be more expensive AND it will be slower than dial-up with sites that have lots of small things to load up.

yolarry

join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by Smith6612:

Satellite'll most likely be more expensive AND it will be slower than dial-up with sites that have lots of small things to load up.
Maybe if you stop using internet explorer, probbly load much faster then dial up until I FAP or go online during middle of the day.
mchambers3

join:2002-03-12
Stafford, TX

1 recommendation

Welcome back to the 1980's

This means Frontier can be awfully proud of their sustained speed, which falls just shy of a 28Kb dial-up modem.

Could it possibly be that Frontier would rather sell pay-per-view over their service rather than letting users choose to download from Netflix? Or perhaps that they hope to "encourage" content providers to white-label their content so that they can get it to customers limit-free as "Frontier-branded" service.

Oops! Was that Net Neutrality that just got side-swiped.

Easements and right-of-ways were provided by regulating local agencies when the wire infrastructure was installed. However part of the deal with access to public easements is that they be used in the public interest, not private aggrandizement.

I think it's time that the wire plant itself become operator neutral.

reagentz

@clearwire-dns.net

man oh man

I game and have a netflix account. If Frontier caps me at 5gb a month I will be super upset. I do 5gb in a night watching a couple of netflix movies.

What are these guys thinking?! It's just so obsurd, if they do this I will cancel my service and go to cable and sue Frontier for not allowing me to utilize the internet for other services I pay for through the internet.

When I signed up 7-8 years ago for Frontier this was not under the ToS I agreed to. I will not agree to a 5gb limit and if they charge me for the usage I will start a class action lawsuit against them and get everyone facing the same thing on board.