dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-08-18 10:05:52: [att=1340235,r]AT&T's somewhat ugly U-Verse VRAD cabinets, required to offer U-Verse VDSL service, have been a point of contention for local homeowners, who claim the curb side cabinets erode property values. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering

1 recommendation

fatmanskinny

Premium Member

Wow, what beautiful landscaping!

I bet they made center page in Better Homes and Garbage.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7

Premium Member

Sounds reasonable to me.

Sounds reasonable to me.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102

Premium Member

Unsurprising

quote:
... third has AT&T paying $1500 per site regardless if landscaping is necessary. Most Illinois cities are apparently picking the third option, says the source.
Of course the government always picks the option that gets it the most "free" money, courtesy of AT&T's subscribers. I guess those ugly looking boxes are not that ugly after all.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by pnh102:

quote:
... third has AT&T paying $1500 per site regardless if landscaping is necessary. Most Illinois cities are apparently picking the third option, says the source.
Of course the government always picks the option that gets it the most "free" money, courtesy of AT&T's subscribers. I guess those ugly looking boxes are not that ugly after all.
That is pretty shady. I bet their excuse is "We'll only use the money for landscaping!" ... yeah right.

Airwolf7
Premium Member
join:2004-12-12
Franklin, KY

Airwolf7

Premium Member

They need a lay down version of that box.

That box is just to tall.

They need to use the tall box where they are space constrained and use a much shorter and longer box where they are not.

People complain because they have a six foot tall box in their yard. It's kind of hard not to notice a six foot tall box in the yard.

If they used a shorter and longer box where they could, it would be easier to plant shrubs around it making it less obtrusive.

Might be less complaints if it were easier to hide, but there would always be someone to complain about something.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

To BBR Users...

This VRAD box doesn't look bad at all. It looks like heaven.

To the basic consumer, they are an eyesore.

BabyBear
Keep wise ...with Nite-Owl
join:2007-01-11

BabyBear

AT&T: Your landscape delivered!

Does that include any graffiti cleanup too? Our VRAD hasn't been hit yet, but our "POTS Box" gets tagged at least every few months.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to pnh102

Premium Member

to pnh102

Re: Unsurprising

said by pnh102:
quote:
I'll bet the city takes the money and does no landscaping at all for their residents.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

1 recommendation

en102 to Matt3

to Matt3
Goes straight into the 'general fund', and will (most likely) never be used for its intended purpose.

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

Very nice drawing there Karl.

That is about right, put one flower down and say its landscaped.

AnonPerson
join:2000-08-26
Lexington, KY

AnonPerson

Put one of these in my yard!

I'm sure people used to complain about those large green cable boxes that were put in everybody's yards 20-30 years ago, but by god the service they provided was amazing eh? Similar to what we have here. Even though these large boxes may not look pretty, at least we are making progress in the broadband market (slowly).

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium Member
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

King P

Premium Member

What?

I'm one of AT&Ts biggest critics, but even I think this is ridiculous. The cities complain about not getting service, and then complain about the equipment that provides it? Now if they planted a VRAD in your front yard, that's a different story.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Also, why am I not surprised that the cities are opting for the free money option? If they truly cared about the looks of it, then they would only want the landscaping done.
radougherty
join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX

radougherty to BabyBear

to BabyBear

Re: AT&T: Your landscape delivered!

said by BabyBear:

Does that include any graffiti cleanup too? Our VRAD hasn't been hit yet, but our "POTS Box" gets tagged at least every few months.
I've seen many VRAD's here in Austin tagged already. Some with the normal graffiti but others where someone has just painted UGLY on them.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to FFH5

to FFH5

Bet your right and that's just not right. Those boxes are ugly and I would be mad about having one of those in my front yard.

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
·AT&T FTTP

1 edit

fatmanskinny

Premium Member

This song plays as AT&T installs the VRAD box.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· t-sx5MDc

"That AT&T VRAD box is simply marvtabuloulicious. Smooches!"
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to King P

to King P

Re: What?

Hmm, yaknow that VRADs are there because AT&T chose VDSL as their upgrade path, versus ADSL2+ (qwest) or FTTH (Verizon). Note that neither Qwest nor Verizon have huge freakin' boxes in front of people's lawns.

I'll bet AT&T will pay for trying to build their network cheaply, in the form of whining, complaining and landscaping on these VRADs.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi

said by Corehhi:

Bet your right and that's just not right. Those boxes are ugly and I would be mad about having one of those in my front yard.
Yep, and the only time a small sliver of the $1500 per box will be utilized is when someone complains loud enough.

Jameson
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
united state

Jameson

Premium Member

Uhm.

You can put one in my yard if im going to get fiber

swhx7
Premium Member
join:2006-07-23
Elbonia

swhx7

Premium Member

Why not dress up the boxes?

Imagine if they built a nicer-looking box around each metal box. Something with wood construction and a little roof, maybe - in any case consistent with the architecture/esthetics of the surrounding houses. It could look like a like a sort of gate-house, like the ones occasionally seen in upscale areas. This could be done for $1500 per box.

Just an idea - maybe this would satisfy complainers enough to lessen an obstacle to better, faster internet.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to fatmanskinny

MVM

to fatmanskinny

Re: Wow, what beautiful landscaping!

said by fatmanskinny:

I bet they made center page in Better Homes and Garbage.
LMAO!

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to swhx7

to swhx7

Re: Why not dress up the boxes?

maybe offer billboard space for rent? don't give them any ideas...

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather

Premium Member

City keeps the money

So AT&T bribes the city at $1500 per box and residents still get to see the fridges in front of their homes.

Gotta love the greed of gov't.

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

2 recommendations

stormbow to swhx7

Premium Member

to swhx7

Re: Why not dress up the boxes?

With maybe a little quarter moon cut into the access door.

BabyBear
Keep wise ...with Nite-Owl
join:2007-01-11

BabyBear to morbo

to morbo
Always thought they might put ads on the boxes. At least till local ordinances tell them otherwise. A lot of them are on busy streets with plenty of traffic.

meh37
@verizon.net

meh37

Anon

Test-bed for meta-materials...

cloak of invisibility? (though it might make things more difficult for techs trying to find them when they need maintenance... but that's a small price to pay, I guess)

Kylemaul
Lovin' My Firefox
Premium Member
join:2001-03-30
Puyallup, WA

Kylemaul

Premium Member

Bury these already!

For $1500 per site, they could/should have buried these things.

Lowtarget
Premium Member
join:2003-12-22
Alger, OH

Lowtarget to meh37

Premium Member

to meh37

Re: Test-bed for meta-materials...

said by meh37 :

cloak of invisibility? (though it might make things more difficult for techs trying to find them when they need maintenance... but that's a small price to pay, I guess)

I can see this happen.. Kid on a bike running into the cloak of invisibility. lmao

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

fatness to FFH5

to FFH5

said by FFH5:

I'll bet the city takes the money and does no landscaping at all for their residents.
Which raises the question of what AT&T feels it's getting for its $1500.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by fatness:
said by FFH5:

It blocks lawsuits by city governments and friendly rulings on "right of way" issues and zoning issues.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
said by fatness:
said by FFH5:

Probably use it to convince regulators. "Hey, we'd offer to landscape, but when we do and even paid for the communities to do it themselves they apparently weren't too worried about it!"
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next