dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-08-29 12:11:51: Techdirt points out that the Malaysian government has been trying to silence critical bloggers, who the government blames for their recent problems at the polls. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

canesfan2001
join:2003-02-04
Hialeah, FL

1 recommendation

canesfan2001

Watch and learn...

With all the powers bestowed upon the executive branch lately, we should catch up to Malaysia soon. So take notes on these workarounds, you may need the skills.
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098

Hey,

I like being second worst at things. We need to strive to maintain that spot. You never want to be the WORST of the WORST. You want to retain down right BAD but second fiddle. This way, you can get on tv and waggle your finger still about how the winner is doing things wrong, while ignoring your own faults. Politics.

canesfan2001
Hialeah, FL

canesfan2001

said by jc10098:

Hey,

I like being second worst at things. We need to strive to maintain that spot. You never want to be the WORST of the WORST. You want to retain down right BAD but second fiddle. This way, you can get on tv and waggle your finger still about how the winner is doing things wrong, while ignoring your own faults. Politics.
To be fair, there are probably 5 countries ahead (or below) us on this.

pnh102
Reptiles Are Cuddly And Pretty
Premium Member
join:2002-05-02
Mount Airy, MD

pnh102 to canesfan2001

Premium Member

to canesfan2001
said by canesfan2001:

With all the powers bestowed upon the executive branch lately, we should catch up to Malaysia soon. So take notes on these workarounds, you may need the skills.
Is that how your posts got through?

Glaice
Brutal Video Vault
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
North Babylon, NY

Glaice

Premium Member

Typical government cowardice

This is not how you do it! Blocking potential customers is not how you do business!

Are you afraid bloggers are uprooting corruption and other things in your country, Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin and PM Abdullah Ahmad Badawi?
nutcr0cker
join:2003-04-02
Chandler, AZ

nutcr0cker to canesfan2001

to canesfan2001

Re: Watch and learn...

You guys are all crazy....this was obvioulsy done to boost.....well....erm...security...don't you know there are terrorist that envy the freedoms that the malaysian enjoy. The government was justified in dealing firmly with the dissenters.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

1 recommendation

wifi4milez

said by nutcr0cker:

You guys are all crazy....this was obvioulsy done to boost.....well....erm...security...don't you know there are terrorist that envy the freedoms that the malaysian enjoy. The government was justified in dealing firmly with the dissenters.
You may joke around, however Malaysia is an awful place being destroyed by terrorists. Its corrupt and overrun by Islamic extremists who are looking to ruin the small amount of credibility the country has. In all honesty I feel bad for those people. There is a reason we separate church and state in this country, and why all those countries that dont are cesspits.

tmh
@qwest.net

tmh

Anon

said by wifi4milez:

You may joke around, however Malaysia is an awful place being destroyed by terrorists. Its corrupt and overrun by Islamic extremists who are looking to ruin the small amount of credibility the country has. In all honesty I feel bad for those people. There is a reason we separate church and state in this country, and why all those countries that dont are cesspits.
I bet you can't even find Malaysia on a map without Google helping you.

nutcr0cker
Chandler, AZ

nutcr0cker to Glaice

to Glaice

Re: Typical government cowardice

"Its corrupt and overrun by Islamic extremists"

LOL....so the basic deal is who can run back to the history faster....The christian extremists or the Islamic extremists! or perhaps Jesus can go and tech Mahatir as he taught the shrub

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez to tmh

to tmh

said by tmh :
said by wifi4milez:

I bet you can't even find Malaysia on a map without Google helping you.

Good one captain anonymous, almost funny but not quite there. Perhaps you should try again?

ThirdShifter
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16
Wethersfield, CT

ThirdShifter to Glaice

Premium Member

to Glaice

said by Glaice:

This is not how you do it! Blocking potential customers is not how you do business!

Are you afraid bloggers are uprooting corruption and other things in your country, Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin and PM Abdullah Ahmad Badawi?
Exactly my sentiments. The leaders of the current Malaysian goverment blames blogs for their poor showing at the polls few months back.

How ridiculous!

They are claiming the blog is inciting and seditious to the general population.
jc10098

1 edit

jc10098 to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez

Funny... We pretend to Separate church and state but somehow we FAIL..

1) Schools use God in the Pledge of Allegiance.
2) School Prayer was only Outlawed in the 1950s
3) Schools are NOW enacting Intelligent Design as part of their STATE testing requirements... Um.... Ok?

Here's the real winner. We give Tax Exemption to Religious groups, who then go out and "campaign" for politicians. Last I checked, religious groups weren't allowed to endorse anyone if they are a Tax Exempt entity. Strange enough, we don't ever seem to hold them to that. The kicker, we often give LOADS of tax payer money to faith based groups.

Ah yes... Separation of church and state hard at work in America.

canesfan2001
Hialeah, FL

canesfan2001 to pnh102

to pnh102
said by pnh102:

said by canesfan2001:

Is that how your posts got through?
What are you talking about? I'm Canadian...wink wink.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez to jc10098

to jc10098
said by jc10098:

There is a big difference between having a phrase in the Pledge of Allegiance, and having a separate legal system that has precedence over all other courts and laws. Malaysia is governed by (Islamic) Sharia Law, which among other things can sentence a person to death for the simple act of converting from Islam to another religion. No ruling, not even that of the federal court, can supercede what some whacko Mullah proclaims.

Sharia law is some truly frightening stuff, I suggest everyone educate themselves on it so we (all) can better understand the mindset of Islamic fascists.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia
»www.religioustolerance.o ··· aria.htm
»www.cfr.org/publication/8034/
nutcr0cker
Chandler, AZ

nutcr0cker to ThirdShifter

to ThirdShifter

"The leaders of the current Malaysian goverment blames blogs for their poor showing at the polls few months back"

Compare this to some Christian taliban blaming gays for 9/11 the same one endosrisng the esteemed McCain! So tell me the difference.
hescominsoon
join:2003-02-18
Brunswick, MD

hescominsoon to jc10098

to jc10098

said by jc10098:

1) Schools use God in the Pledge of Allegiance.
2) School Prayer was only Outlawed in the 1950s
3) Schools are NOW enacting Intelligent Design as part of their STATE testing requirements... Um.... Ok?

Here's the real winner. We give Tax Exemption to Religious groups, who then go out and "campaign" for politicians. Last I checked, religious groups weren't allowed to endorse anyone if they are a Tax Exempt entity. Strange enough, we don't ever seem to hold them to that. The kicker, we often give LOADS of tax payer money to faith based groups.

Ah yes... Separation of church and state hard at work in America.
HOw about you actually READ the constitution? »www.hescominsoon.com/arc ··· ives/794

The separation of church and state as pushed by the ACLU is a myth. Specifically this text of the constitution:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

What this means is there is no gov't spoonsored religion..aka like the english anglican church. Putting God in something does not mean the gov't is specifically endorsing A religion.

Secondly about non-profits "campaigning" yes they can..it's in the constitution. Want to know who's mos guilty of breaking the "separation of church and state"? The very people who scream the most..mostly Liberal folks(and that's across the board..no political party is immune).

Actually if you read the tax law just because you are tax exempt the IRS does NOT have the Constitutional power to limit the free speech or the exercise thereof(aka read the first amendment posted above). Tax law, case law..etc law DOES NOT supersede the United States Constitution.
hescominsoon

hescominsoon to nutcr0cker

to nutcr0cker

said by nutcr0cker:

"The leaders of the current Malaysian goverment blames blogs for their poor showing at the polls few months back"

Compare this to some Christian taliban blaming gays for 9/11 the same one endosrisng the esteemed McCain! So tell me the difference.
Christian Taliban? To Whom are you referring? Do you have links to back up these statements?
jc10098

1 edit

jc10098 to hescominsoon

to hescominsoon

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There is government sponsored religion. WHEN MY TAX DOLLARS go to a faith based group, THAT IS SPONSORING RELIGION. PLAIN AND SIMPLE. Why should a CHURCH which I don't believe in GET MY MONEY? SO try again.

Secondly about non-profits "campaigning"

WRONG. Under the Tax Exempt Charter issued to churches, THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED to make any political endorsements or they risk losing their exemption status. Go look that one up. THE IRS FORBIDS THIS. A google search will yield you PLENTY of results.

Also, for religion in school, PUBLIC SCHOOLS are an ENDORSEMENT AND FUNDED BY THE GOVERNMENT. Bringing in Religion (intelligent design) or "God" violates the concept of public. Tax dollars means EVERYONE of all faiths and beliefs, or lack there of, attend. School is there to learn. If you want your kids to pray, SEND THEM TO A FAITH BASED SCHOOL where I'm not footing the bill. Otherwise, a Public School that uses religion is serving as an agent for the government and making an endorsement. They receive tax dollars once again.

I know the law. Maybe you need to as well.
jc10098

jc10098 to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
Our government sentences people to death on a daily basis too. What's your point? Murder is Murder whether it's for religious grounds or legal grounds. Better yet, our government is creating watch lists of people based on their name, the FBI just said its going to compile a DB of all American's so it can profile people, and we have places that lock folks up indefinitely (Guantanamo). How for one minute is what we're doing any less worse than what they're doing. Seems to me, we're guilty of the stuff, but since we're the US it's ok. Hell, some states have tried giving people the death penalty, btw, for stuff outside of murder (drugs, child molestation, etc). The supreme court has said that's not legal but states are still trying. Best yet, religion here is dictating that people of Muslims names are getting discriminated against. Religious freedom my ass. Nice try though.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by jc10098:

Our government sentences people to death on a daily basis too. What's your point? Murder is Murder whether it's for religious grounds or legal grounds.
HA! Thats laughable at best, and a nice try to deflect what we are really discussing here. Regardless of how you (anyone) feels about the death penalty, no intelligent person can say that executing a child rapist and murderer is the same thing as executing someone who simply wants to change religions (or God forbid renounce it altogether! ).
said by jc10098:

Better yet, our government is creating watch lists of people based on their name
Collecting data about citizens, especially those suspected of a crime, is standard practice in every country on the planet.
said by jc10098:

The FBI just said its going to compile a DB of all American's so it can profile people
A census? Social Security? I am sure we would all love to hear about this extensive database being collected on every citizen in the country, please feel free to provide a (reputable) link!
said by jc10098:

we have places that lock folks up indefinitely (Guantanamo).
Yep, most nations call them prisons. The difference is that we openly declare we hold illegal foreign fighters (in country club conditions), who are treated better than our regular inmate population!
said by jc10098:

How for one minute is what we're doing any less worse than what they're doing.
Lets see, to begin we dont execute people for their choice of religion. We dont relegate women to the status of slaves or livestock, and we have a proper judicial system. People in this country are free to do, say, or wear whatever they please without fear of disappearing or worse.
said by jc10098:

Seems to me, we're guilty of the stuff, but since we're the US it's ok.
Thats not a vague comment or anything, so I am not sure how to respond.
said by jc10098:

Hell, some states have tried giving people the death penalty, btw, for stuff outside of murder (drugs, child molestation, etc). The supreme court has said that's not legal but states are still trying.
First, tried is the key word in your argument. The amazing thing in America is that we have a judicial system that only allows the death penalty under certain circumstances. As for the death penalty for child rapists, I can assure you that most Americans fully support it for such heinous acts, especially when committed against children under the age of 12.
said by jc10098:

Best yet, religion here is dictating that people of Muslims names are getting discriminated against. Religious freedom my ass. Nice try though.
Another humorous statement. However, let me first say that I think discrimination against any group is a terrible thing. I would also not disagree that Muslims have seen increased discrimination since 2001. Unfortunately, the reason (as we all know) that the discrimination has increased is directly due to the fact that we (all citizens of the US) were attacked, and are currently under threat of additional attack, by Muslim extremists. In reality however, only Muslims can improve how they are viewed around the world at this point in time. Where was the "Million Muslim March" to condemn terrorism after the attacks of 9/11? It might sound shocking, but if there was a worldwide network of Catholic, Buddhist, Jewish, etc. terrorists killing thousands of people there would be an uproar! The millions of peace loving devotees would unite to cast out those responsible. The terrorists would not be given refuge in ANY country, region, or area. Only by confronting the devils in their midst, will the vast majority of normal, peaceful, regular Muslims find their situation improved.
jc10098

2 edits

jc10098

quote:
HA! Thats laughable at best, and a nice try to deflect what we are really discussing here. Regardless of how you (anyone) feels about the death penalty, no intelligent person can say that executing a child rapist and murderer is the same thing as executing someone who simply wants to change religions (or God forbid renounce it altogether! ).
No the discussion is that people are being persecuted for their religion beliefs. It happens in the U.S. too. While not to the extent of the death penalty, we are still

A) Locking up people in Guantanamo without proof of Terrorist Connections simply based on Faith. See for example the Canadian guy that was picked up who was arrested wrongfully and kept there for years and never issued an apology. He was just let go with no mention of anything.

B) The fact that the FBI and government are racial profiling people based on faith and skin color. No fly list for example and increased security for people of Muslim faith. Funny, considering McVeigh did Oklahoma city, Anthrax Mailer, Unibomber, etc were all white and I don't recall that taking place to White people, do you?
quote:
Collecting data about citizens, especially those suspected of a crime, is standard practice in every country on the planet.

A census? Social Security? I am sure we would all love to hear about this extensive database being collected on every citizen in the country, please feel free to provide a (reputable) link!
Creating Databases on INNOCENT people is ALSO a crime. First, we had the NSA wiretapping that monitors people's communication without court order. Ah yes, immunity was needed. No one needs immunity from anything unless they are guilty. Second, that link can be found here for the FBI building a database on every American. Conspiracy theory it is not.

"Thursday, the New York Times reported that the new FBI guidelines would allow the bureau to open up investigations without any indication of suspicious activity. Mukasey has said the guidelines are needed to facilitate the bureau's transition from a law enforcement agency to an intelligence-gathering one to combat terrorism."

»www.swamppolitics.com/ne ··· f_n.html

» FBI To Allow Warrantless Investigations [233] comments

So yes, there is your proof.
quote:
Yep, most nations call them prisons. The difference is that we openly declare we hold illegal foreign fighters (in country club conditions), who are treated better than our regular inmate population!
Nations call it VIOLATING the Geneva Convention due to torture taking place. The Supreme Court, a CONSERVATIVE ONE, has also called it a violation of due process. Bush CANNOT hold people indefinitely without giving them trials. Shame military trials right now, but trials. Unfortunately, the trials they are getting they can't hear evidence against them. Then again, Americans like Padilla were ALSO held in violation of their AMEIRCAN RIGHT to court access. Yes, AMericans were there too, NOT just foreigners.
quote:
Lets see, to begin we dont execute people for their choice of religion. We dont relegate women to the status of slaves or livestock, and we have a proper judicial system. People in this country are free to do, say, or wear whatever they please without fear of disappearing or worse.
Already answered. We persecute people and discriminate based upon religious beliefs. Up until Sexual Harassment suits, women were INFERIOR in the work place. Still, women earn 1/2 to 3/4th of what men do at the same jobs today. Best yet, we have work place discrimination of gay people that is not covered under anything still. O, lest we not forget the churches that relegate these people as burning in hell and promote harm to them. Sure, nothing like demeaning people based on race, sexual orientation, etc happens here.....
quote:
First, tried is the key word in your argument. The amazing thing in America is that we have a judicial system that only allows the death penalty under certain circumstances. As for the death penalty for child rapists, I can assure you that most Americans fully support it for such heinous acts, especially when committed against children under the age of 12
TRIED IS NOT THE KEY WORD. Up until the 1970s I think it was (maybe 60s), PEOPLE were put to death for Rape and ANY OTHER CRIME. The Supreme Court in a case earlier on had made clear murder was the ONLY reason (think treason might still be covered too) it could be used. Just recently, they reaffirmed their decision. Yet, states still have people sitting on death row for other crimes. Hate to burst your bubble, BUT LOTS of people who have been put to death and many more sitting on death row have been exonerated. Guess that doesn't do the person much good when they are say DEAD.
quote:
Another humorous statement. However, let me first say that I think discrimination against any group is a terrible thing. I would also not disagree that Muslims have seen increased discrimination since 2001. Unfortunately, the reason (as we all know) that the discrimination has increased is directly due to the fact that we (all citizens of the US) were attacked, and are currently under threat of additional attack, by Muslim extremists. In reality however, only Muslims can improve how they are viewed around the world at this point in time. Where was the "Million Muslim March" to condemn terrorism after the attacks of 9/11? It might sound shocking, but if there was a worldwide network of Catholic, Buddhist, Jewish, etc. terrorists killing thousands of people there would be an uproar! The millions of peace loving devotees would unite to cast out those responsible. The terrorists would not be given refuge in ANY country, region, or area. Only by confronting the devils in their midst, will the vast majority of normal, peaceful, regular Muslims find their situation improved.
Bad behavior is bad behavior, there is not justifying that. However, you need a history lesson on the atrocities of Christianity.

A) Where is the Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Protestant Church Apology for aiding Hitler in exterminating 6 million Jews. You do know he used Clergy from MANY CHURCHES in selling the Holocaust and carrying it out, don't you? If not, go learn about it.

B) Where is the Christian Serbs Apology for Massacring 100s of thousands of Muslims in the Bosnian war and sticking them in Mass graves?

C) Where was Timothy McVeigh's apology for BLOWING UP Oklahoma city. Sure it was condemned by not by him or his family. I never saw anyone really say o they are sorry for his actions.

D) Where is INTERNATIONAL CONDEMNATION of the Church that currently promotes HATRED of gays and also promoted discrimination of blacks up until the 1960s. You know, up until then, interracial marriage was a JAILABLE offense because the church / God said it was wrong. I don't recall any past apology for those actions.

E) Why did it take the US 50 years to apologize to locking up the Japanese in Internment camps where MANY died of disease etc?

Might want to reassess your world history. Muslims aren't the only TERRORISTS in this world.

Last but not least, why don't the ass hats at the NRA apologize to America. Seems guns do a wonderful job of protecting Americans being there are 16-22,000 murders in this country yearly. Yet, 9/11 saw 3000. So since 9/11 120-140,000 Americans have been Murdered by Americans. SO lets see, we TRUMP terrorism like its a daily occurrence. Strange, I can't name anyone that's been a victim of an attack. Yet, we forget crime kills much more (I can name someone that's been murdered as can most). I want an apology from Politicians for spotting terrorism and forgetting our REAL problems.

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

SimbaSeven to nutcr0cker

to nutcr0cker

All I can say is:

WTF??

..not that I support McCain.. Oh hell no.. Go Obama!!
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to jc10098

to jc10098

Still going off on your BS about how Christians are the only bad religion.

Still without a clue as I see.

If this country were truly as bad as you claim it was, you would be hauled off and executed. Of course that happens all the time in Iran which is a MUSLIM country.

Keep trying little boy.
moonpuppy

to jc10098
said by jc10098:

Nations call it VIOLATING the Geneva Convention due to torture taking place.
For someone who claims to be educated, you are completely ignorant.

The Geneva Convention only applies to soldiers in uniform for a military of a nation. Terrorists do not have protection and neither do military personnel out of uniform.

Try again.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to nutcr0cker

Premium Member

to nutcr0cker

said by nutcr0cker:

"Christian taliban" is the funniest thing I've seen posted here in a long time. Great job on the research, dude.
jc10098

4 edits

jc10098 to moonpuppy

to moonpuppy

Still trolling I see as Usual? Not surprised. You have YET to offer anything useful.

1) There's no BS rant on Religion. Christians are equally guilty of the same crimes. Get over it.

2) Might want to read the Geneva Convention before sounding like a Troll. Yes, I know, you like sounding smart. You AREN'T. #2 and #6 can Apply to the Taliban and People currently locked up at gitmo. #2 fits a lot of the bill but not all. However, #6 is the winner. Neither Afghanistan or Iraq were occupied and WE (US) invaded. Hence, without time to formalize an army, they have taken up arms. Lest we not forget, TORTURE is banned NO MATTER what by international agreements. So Nice try though... I love proving you wrong. I won't even afford you the right of calling you educated, because everything you state is NONSENSE. So yes, THEY ARE GUARANTEED RIGHTS under the law.

Note: In Afghanistan's case the Taliban were a FORMAL government and therefore their army can be recognized as a FORMAL line of defense and armed resistance by a government that has been toppled. Armed resistance to restore one's "rightful" power is legal.
quote:
A. Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following categories, who have fallen into the power of the enemy:

1. Members of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict as well as members of militias or volunteer corps forming part of such armed forces.

2. Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;

(b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;

(c) That of carrying arms openly;

(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

3. Members of regular armed forces who profess allegiance to a government or an authority not recognized by the Detaining Power.

4. Persons who accompany the armed forces without actually being members thereof, such as civilian members of military aircraft crews, war correspondents, supply contractors, members of labour units or of services responsible for the welfare of the armed forces, provided that they have received authorization from the armed forces which they accompany, who shall provide them for that purpose with an identity card similar to the annexed model.

5. Members of crews, including masters, pilots and apprentices, of the merchant marine and the crews of civil aircraft of the Parties to the conflict, who do not benefit by more favourable treatment under any other provisions of international law.

6. Inhabitants of a non-occupied territory, who on the approach of the enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading forces, without having had time to form themselves into regular armed units, provided they carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs
jc10098

jc10098 to moonpuppy

to moonpuppy
People being jailed wrongfully without rights is no less an atrocity. See below. Proving you wrong makes these sessions all the more fun.
jc10098

2 edits

jc10098 to Lone Wolf

to Lone Wolf

Maybe he meant the "Mega Church Terrorists" Endorsing McCain. You know those Hell fire churches that claims their god "loves man" but incite harm onto others. Pat Robertson inciting assassination of Hugo Chavez. The Late Jerry Falwell harassment of gays. The churches advocating harming others such as gays and purporting discrimination of women and blacks in the past. The Churches role in Civil Rights Era abuses in which they claimed interracial marriage was a SIN BY GOD, and it was punishable by jail time. Strange enough, Blacks and White can Marry. God change his tune suddenly on bigotry? Seems these so called churches are no different than Radical Imams inciting violence onto others. Hard for the pot to call the kettle black, isn't it, when the same shit happens on both sides of the spectrum.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

to jc10098

said by jc10098:

Still trolling I see as Usual? Not surprised. You have YET to offer anything useful.

1) There's no BS rant on Religion. Christians are equally guilty of the same crimes. Get over it.

2) Might want to read the Geneva Convention before sounding like a Troll. Yes, I know, you like sounding smart. You AREN'T. #2 and #6 can Apply to the Taliban and People currently locked up at gitmo. #2 fits a lot of the bill but not all. However, #6 is the winner. Neither Afghanistan or Iraq were occupied and WE (US) invaded. Hence, without time to formalize an army, they have taken up arms. Lest we not forget, TORTURE is banned NO MATTER what by international agreements. So Nice try though... I love proving you wrong. I won't even afford you the right of calling you educated, because everything you state is NONSENSE. So yes, THEY ARE GUARANTEED RIGHTS under the law.

Note: In Afghanistan's case the Taliban were a FORMAL government and therefore their army can be recognized as a FORMAL line of defense and armed resistance by a government that has been toppled. Armed resistance to restore one's "rightful" power is legal.
quote:
A. Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following categories, who have fallen into the power of the enemy:

1. Members of the armed forces of a Party to the conflict as well as members of militias or volunteer corps forming part of such armed forces.

2. Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;

(b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;

(c) That of carrying arms openly;

(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

3. Members of regular armed forces who profess allegiance to a government or an authority not recognized by the Detaining Power.

4. Persons who accompany the armed forces without actually being members thereof, such as civilian members of military aircraft crews, war correspondents, supply contractors, members of labour units or of services responsible for the welfare of the armed forces, provided that they have received authorization from the armed forces which they accompany, who shall provide them for that purpose with an identity card similar to the annexed model.

5. Members of crews, including masters, pilots and apprentices, of the merchant marine and the crews of civil aircraft of the Parties to the conflict, who do not benefit by more favourable treatment under any other provisions of international law.

6. Inhabitants of a non-occupied territory, who on the approach of the enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading forces, without having had time to form themselves into regular armed units, provided they carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs
They are out of uniform and, by their own admission, not under any command structure.

Might want to read this little tidbit too:
quote:
Article 51.3 of the Commentary: IV Geneva Convention also covers this interpretation: "Civilians shall enjoy the protection afforded by this section, unless and for such time as they take a direct part in hostilities.". In the words of the International Committee of the Red Cross, or ICRC "If civilians directly engage in hostilities, they are considered "unlawful" or "unprivileged" combatants or belligerents (the treaties of humanitarian law do not expressly contain these terms). They may be prosecuted under the domestic law of the detaining state for such action. Both lawful and unlawful combatants may be interned in wartime, may be interrogated and may be prosecuted for war crimes. Both are entitled to humane treatment in the hands of the enemy."
Try again little boy.
moonpuppy

to jc10098
said by jc10098:

People being jailed wrongfully without rights is no less an atrocity. See below. Proving you wrong makes these sessions all the more fun.
Sorry, you are the wrong one but thanks for playing.

Civilians that engage in direct hostilities are not considered protected by the Geneva Convention which the Taliban themselves are NOT following and Afghanistan did sign the treaty.
page: 1 · 2 · next