dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-09-03 11:38:58: Google's new browser, Chrome, has been out for less than one day, and has spent much of that time being run through the Internet gauntlet. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3

TomClancy
Freedom Isn't Free
join:2003-04-23

TomClancy to jc10098

to jc10098

Re: Wouldn't Know

I wouldn't care if the car was a beta or not if GM offered cars for free I would take and test it but unfortunately they don't unlike Google Chrome which is FREE!
TomClancy

TomClancy to funchords

to funchords

Re: bleh

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to BillRoland

Premium Member

to BillRoland

Re: The real question

said by BillRoland:

The real question to me is simply, why did Google feel compelled to create yet another web browser, especially in light of the recent push by Microsoft to deliver on standards compliance.
If you look at this closer, Chrome isn't just a browser...it's an Internet focused operating system. Think about those implications.
buckingham

buckingham to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00

Re: bleh

said by Woody79_00:

I personally will not be using chrome. The TOS are broad and giving someone exclusive royalty free acess to your intelectual property is just a bit too much to swallow...i mean even Microsoft doesn't go that far...
It may be mentioned farther down this thread, but Google has reworded that portion of the EULA after major, umm...displeasure...shown by the general public. It's now more acceptable to most folks.

WHACK LNEE BONE
@verizon.net

WHACK LNEE BONE

Anon

Less abrasive version released

The portable version is out. GOOGLE for it. It plays much nicer. No GOOGLE UPDATE lurking around. No files installed in weird places. Just unRAR the prog into the folder of your choice and run it.

I'm impressed with its rendering speed. Not impressed with much else. Imported bookmarks are incomplete. It grabbed about half my Firefox bookmarks at random. The bright blue interface is annoying, and the available "skins", such as they are, don't really change or improve much.

Bookmark storage and maintenance is truly a primitive horror, and there's no way to easily access bookmarks without the intrusive bar. The level of customization is far too low. I'd like buttons for making text bigger and smaller, as I can with an extension in FIREFOX. All CHROME has is the usual keyboard shortcut.

Even though it's stable, CHROME is, as yet, no functional substitute for FIREFOX 2. FIRFOX 3 sucks, though...
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098 to TomClancy

to TomClancy

Re: Wouldn't Know

Well Tom,

You're a brave man. If someone offered you an UNTESTED car, you'd really accept. Hell, I know who to call when I want a crash test dummy!! Your career future is looking bright as a dare devil.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to JohnQPublic6

to JohnQPublic6

Re: Thanks, but no thanks.

quote:
I like some of Google's products for the desktop, but I don't see any reason to try their new browser any time soon.
I think its crap to be honest.
prev · 1 · 2 · 3