dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-09-24 09:52:03: Despite two significant delays, Fairpoint's CEO this week insisted the handover of Verizon's networks in Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont is on target. You'd hope so, given they only just bumped the crossover target to January last week. ..

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

still

still not holding my breath.
PDXPLT
join:2003-12-04
Banks, OR

PDXPLT

They've gotta be better than Verizon ...

Verizon has the same strategy here in the PNW as they do in New England: invest in providing FTTH to a portion of their territory, and not even provide basic DSL to the rest. Even other ILEC's are better at deploying widely (e.g., Qwest seems to do much better in lower-density areas in their territory), but VZ has focussed their broadband deployment exclusively on the highest-density urban and suburban areas.

If Fairpoint only does a deployment strategy that is closer to industry norm, that should be a significant improvement, compared to what Verizon is doing now in that territory.
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

EPS4

Re: They've gotta be better than Verizon ...

Verizon's policy is mostly geared towards their higher population and denser core areas and doesn't adapt as well to their rural regions, so I agree with you on that point.

The big question is whether FairPoint Communications will have the financial resources to get its deployment plans through, or whether the expenses of the buyout will cause it to stumble and you get no expansion of any sort.

shinbone
@anon-online.org

shinbone

Anon

Fairpoint follies

On schedule? So where's the IPv6 connectivity that Verizon said would be deployed throughout North America by the end of 2008?

Seventhwind
@midmaine.com

Seventhwind

Anon

Fairpoint making a huge impact on Franklin County Maine

Fairpoint Recently started hooking up my county with an insane 30 mb down 15 mb upload fiber optic network and where I live is in Chesterville about 15 minute drive from Farmington and I'm being hooked up with a 30mb down 15mb up any day now.

they said expect the lines to be ready any day between october 1st and october 15th 2008..