dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-10-14 16:45:30: ISPs have quietly been selling your browsing data without your consent for years, but only recently, with the advent of behavioral advertising, did Congress and the media really notice. ..

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle

Now, if only Comcast had morals

Look at Verizon. They were the whipping boy here for whatever they did in PA years ago. Look at where they have come.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

Shame only exists..

When you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar.
I'm sure that Verizon/AT&T and other large carriers will find better methods of not being caught, and put spin on it when they do. They have many lawyers to help draft their terms to be vague enough to not be caught on any specific item.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by en102:

When you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar.
Maybe on a "corporate" basis, but I think that some people behave better than this -- they make mistakes, realize later that they were wrong, and make amends.
ozar
Premium Member
join:2008-04-13
USA

ozar

Premium Member

utterly clueless

Where it said "the public is utterly clueless when it comes to online privacy" sums it up quite nicely!
SilverSurfer1
join:2007-08-19

SilverSurfer1 to funchords

to funchords

Re: Shame only exists..

said by funchords:

Maybe on a "corporate" basis, but I think that some people behave better than this -- they make mistakes, realize later that they were wrong, and make amends.
We're not talking about "some people." We're talking about corporation whose sole existence for being is profit at any cost. Shame cannot be elicited from a stone just as blood can't be squeezed from a turnip.

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer to ozar

Premium Member

to ozar

Re: utterly clueless

said by ozar:

Where it said "the public is utterly clueless when it comes to online privacy" sums it up quite nicely!
online privacy....what an oxymoron!

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

Shame only happens if you admit you were wrong

... these companies say "So what? We're entitled to do anything we want--- you agreed to it in the legalese."

anchorfree
@pacbell.net

anchorfree

Anon

re: if only Comcast had Morals

Over the last few months, I've posted a lot of commentary on DPI, and related efforts at intercepting user behavior at the network level for profitable gain. Here's a recap:

www dot dmnews.com/Shielding-consumers-from-privacy-breaching-ISP-tracking/article/112169/

Nontheless, I would recommend to ALL consumers to procure a VPN tool to absolutely ensure your personal privacy while on-line. From emails, to browsing history, to entering data in input boxes (search or otherwise) - it's all wide open to Comcast and other ISPs.

My company offers a free VPN - yes, it is in fact ad supported - but we don't store ANY personally identifiable info. Your company may offer one as well - often times you simply need to check with the IT personnel - they all usually have them (required for their jobs - but not yours necesarily) but may 'set you up' if you only asked.

happy VPN hunting.

AnchorFree Inc.
Mark Smith, COO, AnchorFree
jarthur31
join:2006-04-14
Carlsbad, NM

jarthur31 to KrK

to KrK

Re: Shame only happens if you admit you were wrong

If they would just make it a little bit palpable like offering 1.5 MB upload standard then alot of us wouldn't mind.

Eric the Red
@plus.com

Eric the Red

Anon

Blunt..

.. but eloquent!

Jonah
@btcentralplus.com

Jonah

Anon

Be Careful what you Offer.

@anchorfree

I used you service for a while but because of some of the hoops it requires to logon , I probably got an Infostealer(trojan) linked to my system via one of your Ads or linked Websites, so you also need to be careful with your end to make it more difficult for this to happen.

It hasn't put me off your Service & the trojan got nowhere near my core system, it's just a note to help make you aware to be more careful!
Craig08
join:2008-03-31

Craig08

VPNs, Xerobank

Trustworthy ?