spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-11-02 08:51:03: DirecTV recently started offering video on demand services via their HR2x series DVRs, using your home broadband connection. ..

Camelot One
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-21
Greenwood, IN
kudos:1

HR2x receivers......

When they first came out, I tried my best to avoid upgrading from my trusty HR10 DirecTivo box, for fear it would lack the features. But they just keep adding more options to the HR2x line.

I would not be at all surprised if they add a hulu like option, but I suspect it will be similar to the network media player option - capable, but limited to SD.
--
Intel Q6600 @3400Mhz/GA-EP35-DS3P/2x 2048Mb G.Skill/Seagate 750.10/EVGA 8800GT's SLI/Silverstone 850W/Custom water cooler

GhostDoggy

join:2005-05-11
Duluth, GA

You're kidding me. They cannot even allow you to stream video recorded on one HR21/22 to another HR21/22 in the same household and on the same network. I'm seriously doubting its a technological limitation and more a political condition.

Of course, if this has changed then my ignorance is doing be a nicely this morning.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

said by GhostDoggy:

You're kidding me. They cannot even allow you to stream video recorded on one HR21/22 to another HR21/22 in the same household and on the same network. I'm seriously doubting its a technological limitation and more a political condition.

Of course, if this has changed then my ignorance is doing be a nicely this morning.
streaming just came out so that may come at a later date. I want to see streaming to NON Drv HD boxes.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

Hulu-like?

Like - free for anyone to use?

Or, only free to DirecTV subscribers... which will not be Hulu-like?

Hmmm...
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by dadkins:

Hmmm...
Only to DirecTV users.

radougherty

join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to GhostDoggy

Re: HR2x receivers......

said by GhostDoggy:

While you can't do this now, DirecTV has said they would have a 'whole house DVR' solution. They've so far added the capability to stream video/audio/JPEG from a PC to the DVR, now stream from the DVR to the PC. The best guesses are that the next step would be the DVR to DVR streaming.

badtrip
I heart the East Bay
Premium
join:2004-03-20
Albany, CA

HBO

HBO was going to do something like this. I wonder what happened because I was looking forward to watching my favorite HBO shows on demand at my PC.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

1 edit
reply to FFH

Re: Hulu-like?

said by FFH:

said by dadkins:

Hmmm...
Only to DirecTV users.
That's what I fingered.
Then it will NOT be battling Joost or hulu.

Oh well...
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
reply to badtrip

Re: HBO

FiOS customers can purchase the Starz Play package which is VOD over broadband: »www.verizon.net/starzplay

tofu713

join:2002-05-23
Houston, TX

DIRECTV2PC

I've been using the DIRECTV2PC program... and I like it!
I think this is really going to compete with SlingBoxes not Hulu or Joost.

For example, my desktop PC is in one area of my house that I really don't want to have to buy another TV AND another DVR box for... so now I just pop open the DIRECTV2PC program while I'm "working" in my office (more like distracting myself... heh).

Only thing is I wish this worked on a Mac, and I wish it worked over the internet... not just the local network. If DirecTV does that... I'd save cash not buying a SlingBox.

On the competing with Hulu front... the DirecTV DVRs already play Hulu videos... and CBS Online, ESPN Online... even NetFlix!
Just download PlayOn from MediaMaill Tech... (»www.themediamall.com/playon) install it and BOOM... Hulu on your DirecTV box.