dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-11-20 12:42:53: As a rule, most warnings of Internet capacity armageddon come from traffic shaping companies looking to sell hardware, or industry lobbyists trying to shape policy through think tanks. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

Solution

ipv6

ummmm
@sbcglobal.net

ummmm

Anon

lol? how does ipv6 have anything to do with this...
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

think it's time for more coffee

because this is insane.

not surprising at all that it's these people behind the fun hogwash here...

How they got from "intelligent" design proponents, to "very unintelligent" network design proponents, makes no sense. Maybe somebody likes to fund them, and they like to produce propaganda in return.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

3 recommendations

dadkins

MVM

Linksys!

Reboot that MFer!
qworster
join:2001-11-25
Bryn Mawr, PA

2 edits

qworster

The whole thing is a scam

The whole thing is a scam to get taxpayer money. Look at the automakers-who flew from Detroit to D.C. yesterday on THREE corporate jets-to ask for taxpayer money to bail them out from their own bad decisions.

The PERFECT example of how truly CLUELESS the heads of big business are. These IDIOTS didn't even learn from the AIG PR fiasco 'holiday' last month!

Now AT&T wants their share-and is threatenng to have 'rolling Internet blackouts' if they don't get it.

Who's next- Comcast? Time Warner? Verizon?

How much do you want to bet that if we had COMPETITION that all of this would be a red herring?

Unfortunately, the FCC under the Republicans made sure that THERE IS NO REAL INTERNET COMPETITION!

One MORE Bush mess for Obama to clean up!

koma3504
Advocate
Premium Member
join:2004-06-22
Granbury, TX

koma3504

Premium Member

Att

Well if Att had lived up to its origanal deal with the F.C.C. they would be laying more Fiber to the house FTTH.
And this would be a nonissue.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Great timing....

Saw this on CNN today...

»www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/bi ··· dex.html

canesfan2001
join:2003-02-04
Hialeah, FL

canesfan2001

Geez

Maybe if all you freeloaders would stop using your internets so much, the pipes wouldn't clog and we wouldn't have to worry about the exaflood in the first place.
centsofhumor
join:2007-01-20
Two Rivers, WI

1 edit

centsofhumor

immunity wasnt enough?

Maybe if they didnt get immunity they wouldnt of rose back up to the surface like the turds they are, and come demanding things. I wonder if i block att ip address ranges how limited i would be?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins

Re: Linksys!

said by dadkins:

Reboot that MFer!
u give me the lulz

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier to canesfan2001

Premium Member

to canesfan2001

Re: Geez

Indeed. If we are to stop the pending bandwidth apocalypse, we should all significantly reduce our internet usage and increase our tithes to the great and benevolent network operators.

I suggest we stop processes for downloading software/firmware patches immediately and competely eliminate audio and video streaming. We should return to the days of feature light web pages and plain text email.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit

ArrayList to canesfan2001

Premium Member

to canesfan2001
its a series of tubes!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 1nOuCN9c
radougherty
join:1999-07-23
Austin, TX

radougherty to qworster

to qworster

Re: The whole thing is a scam

Just look how well deregulation has worked on Wall Street and the banks.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Past may not be prelude

A lot of these predictions that the internet WON'T face much higher bandwidth demand is based on past statistics. But a paradigm break is in process. The past statistics can't recognize the tremendous growth of online high def video that is coming. Those predicting drastic growth may be more prescient than the statisticians looking backward.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

2 edits

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Dumb...

This is just dumb and unfortunately at the moment I can't even seem to formulate a polite response - which is a bit rare for me. Like an old CEO of mine once said about someone, AT&T just don't get it.

The proverbial "last mile" and the servers interfacing with the content will fail long before the backbone itself fails due to capacity issues. The US national backbone is the easiest portion to upgrade (comparatively) and a problem that even just blindly throwing money at will solve for many years to come. Finding efficient technology and means to deal with the amount of content (data), now that's a bit harder but manageable. Getting the majority of residential customer up to the "sweet spot" for connectivity (100 Mbps IMO), thats a bit harder and costlier.

Verizon seems to have figured this out, hell, even Comcast seems to have figured this out - maybe it's time for another new AT&T? This one seems a lot like the previous incarnation.

fireflier
Coffee. . .Need Coffee
Premium Member
join:2001-05-25
Limbo

fireflier

Premium Member

Math concept review?

"According to Odlyzko, the current Internet growth rate of about 50% per year"

"The exponential explosion of content will persist"

50% growth per year is not exponential. . .

I'm not sure "exponential explosion" even makes grammatical sense.
ZZink
join:2002-06-16
Etobicoke

ZZink

and the trend continues

This is all because ISPs refuse to shell out cash to invest in new technologies and expend and upgrade infrastructure. Let them burn just like the auto sector.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 edit

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Message from the Death Star approaching sir!

sdvsv

Fluker
join:2005-04-07
West Lafayette, IN

Fluker

Is it just me or...

Does it seem to anybody else that servers and not the connection are often to blame for bottlenecking? Almost every residential line is easy to max out these days but I've noticed that most pages that get overloaded respond quickly, but have back-end issues that end in a denial.

I don't claim to have the best perspective to comment on this though..

FunnyBones
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
usa

FunnyBones

Premium Member

remember it is only to protect your children

»www.andhranews.net/Busin ··· 4777.asp

Remember it is only to protect your children just like they done in australia.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4 to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss

Re: Dumb...

sounds like a great time to split them up. PacBell, SNET, NV bell, Ameritech, Southwestern Bell. and dont' forget we'd have to spin AT&T back into AT&T. and this time demand they are NOT the ISP they use instead use 3rd parties. They become the dumb pipe.
k1ll3rdr4g0n
Homer Glen, IL

k1ll3rdr4g0n

Exaflood

If your not ready BY NOW for a "exaflood", then get out of the business. If an ISP is really that "scared" about a fictions "exaflood" flood, then I believe that company should be taken out of business because they obviously can't see past their own greed. And if anyone believes in this "exaflood", then get off the internet now because your clogging the tubes!

Wait a minute, didn't people scream about the end of the world back in ancient times? Hows about the Y2K bug destroying all of our computers?....and isn't this considered terrorizing the public into thinking the internet is going to end aka being a terrorist?
I really can't wait for the pro-consumers to get into the FCC to start slapping these bozo CEO's around. -
"We want more money!"
*slap*
"We want less regulation!"
*slap slap*
"Can't we get a few dollars?"
*slap slap slap*
"I'm sorry, I'll goto my room."

FunnyBones
Premium Member
usa

FunnyBones to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins

said by dadkins:

Reboot that MFer!
lulz

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4

said by hottboiinnc4:

They become the dumb pipe.
agreed. AT&T needs to understand that their future is dumb pipe provider.

nationalize the infrastructure and pay AT&T nothing for their share. they owe us for pissing on the constitutional rights of every one of their customers.

meh37
@verizon.net

meh37

Anon

2012?

So that's what Nostradamus was talking about when he predicted the "end of the world"... cool.

Now, who's the Anti-christ? (Some CEO perhaps?)
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

1 recommendation

hottboiinnc4 to morbo

to morbo

not just their customers but everyone. i'm not a customer and they pissed on mine if any of my data goes on their network.

i refuse to do business with them.

FunnyBones
Premium Member
usa

1 edit

FunnyBones to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008

Re: Message from the Death Star approaching sir!

You know this picture could be right just like when comcast got caught traffic shaping and maybe they will unleash the exaflood.

You know obama has done said he will take down the group known as anonymous cough cough /b/ »blog.wired.com/defense/2 ··· a-3.html

FastiBook
join:2003-01-08
Newtown, PA

FastiBook to ArrayList

to ArrayList

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Xc7pw4go

- A

knightmb
Everybody Lies
join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN

knightmb to dadkins

to dadkins

LOL, what south park episode is that from, since all of them are online now?
LowRider
join:2006-06-23
Dallas, GA

LowRider to ArrayList

to ArrayList

someone has way to much time on there hands
page: 1 · 2 · next