dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-11-25 15:21:27: With Netflix now offering SD & HD streaming via the Xbox 360 (and earlier this year, a $99 device by Roku), Blockbuster took their own shot today at the broadband TV delivery market by releasing a new Blockbuster streaming set-top by 2Wire. ..

fatmanskinny
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Wandering

fatmanskinny

Premium Member

I wonder what Comcap...err...Comcast thinks about this!

e_dub
franknbeans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-12
kickin ass

e_dub

Premium Member

Re: I wonder what Comcap...err...Comcast thinks about this!

Blockbuster CEO Jim Keyes tells the NY Times he has "limited expectations" for the device, in part because of poor broadband deployment:
Key sentence....

canesfan2001
join:2003-02-04
Hialeah, FL

canesfan2001 to fatmanskinny

to fatmanskinny
They're mad as hell, but too busy lobbying to provide some kind of competing content. If they just sucked it up and realized that they are getting payed to be a "dumb pipe" they could invest that lobbying money into some worthwhile content for the internet, and then actually have another revenue stream.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by canesfan2001:

They're mad as hell, but too busy lobbying to provide some kind of competing content. If they just sucked it up and realized that they are getting payed to be a "dumb pipe" they could invest that lobbying money into some worthwhile content for the internet, and then actually have another revenue stream.
You mean like Bell did when they opened up their online video store.

canesfan2001
Hialeah, FL

canesfan2001

Yes...minus the traffic shaping and unfair prioritizing.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to fatmanskinny

Premium Member

to fatmanskinny
They love it. They'll happily add your overage charges to your bill when you exceed the cap....

SHABAZZ
join:2008-07-13
Seattle, WA

SHABAZZ to fatmanskinny

to fatmanskinny
Blockbuster will soon be out of business...Too little Too late...
ender7074
join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

ender7074

Worthless

Hmmmmm pay 20 bucks a month to netflix for unlimited streaming movies or pay $1.99 - $3.99 per movie. Doesn't seem that great to me.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.
join:2006-07-23

Fox McCloud

Re: Worthless

said by ender7074:

Hmmmmm pay 20 bucks a month to netflix for unlimited streaming movies or pay $1.99 - $3.99 per movie. Doesn't seem that great to me.
actually $99 one time fee (for the Roku) and $7.99 a month for unlimited streaming VS. $99+25 movies (that only last 30 days)+$1.99-$3.99 per film after that.

I agree with the CEO; I'd have very limited expectations.

Unless the quality is very very VERY good, I smell a failure here.
Antonlm
join:2004-09-15
Birmingham, AL

Antonlm

I pay 9 bucks a month for netflix, and like 7 for gold Xbox live. And since the 21st can stream movies and play games on line (though since I only have 3megs, not at the same time). So far I am very impressed.
Lion84
join:2007-08-10
Marietta, GA

1 edit

Lion84 to Fox McCloud

to Fox McCloud
What's even worse about the Blockbuster box is the thing about having to finish the movie within 24 hours of pushing "play." What kind of garbage is that?
ender7074
join:2006-11-21
Saint Louis, MO

ender7074 to Fox McCloud

to Fox McCloud
I already had a 360 so I didnt get the Roku. You summed it up much better than I did though.
astiyosti8
join:2005-11-10
Asheville, NC

astiyosti8 to Fox McCloud

to Fox McCloud
well i have a 360 and didn't need to buy another box.
Althought netflix is limited on their selection of movies to veiw i feel i am getting a good deal

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM

Premium Member

You don't even need to purchase the ROKU device or an XBOX360 to watch your Netflix "Instant Queue".

They have a Plug-In that works with M$ Internet Explorer that lets you stream the movies to your PC.

Try that one before you invest in the standalone player, it gives you an idea of what they have available by way of streaming content, and if your Internet connection is up to the challenge of smooth streaming without the headaches of constant re-buffering.

Cable and FiOS should have no problems, but slow DSL or "Coffee Shop WiFi' might present more of a challenge.

Unfortunately the Plug-In doesn't work with Firefox or Opera, which you can chalk up to their programmers being Active-X fans, and Movie Studios with "Paranoid" DRM issues.

NPGMBR
join:2001-03-28
Arlington, VA

1 edit

NPGMBR

I've used Netflix's Instant Play like two times and im on a FIOS connection. Experienced no re-buffering either time but Im not really into watching movies on my PC.
grumpy3b
join:2001-12-11
Lompoc, CA

grumpy3b

then it's your rig as the limiting factor. I only have a 3mbps pipe here and can stream Netflix to both my Roku and a laptop w/o any re-buffering issues at all. I have been streaming Netflix offerings since long before the Roku came available, well over a year now. Netflix did it right, they first offered the service with limited hours you could stream each month, then unlimited and only then did they license the set top boxes. So, if ya had any issues it's somewhere in either your rig or perhaps your ISP is messing with anyone who streams content over a connection.

You might want to look into it again...Netflix, as many know, now offers the Starz movie lineup, usually around 1000 movies so good some, well, not so much...hehehehe.

Also, NF has quite a few current TV shows like CSI (regular, NY & Miami) which are available for streaming either the same day or the day after airing on the network. I expect we will begin seeing more and more like this as various syndication agreements run out.

This Blockbuster on the surface sounds too $$$ BUT, it also sounds like BB's entire library is available for streaming vs. a limited subset of content on Netflix. Still I like the $15/mo NF option with 3-at-a-time DVD's and unlimited streaming. We do not have cable and I haven't had it for over 5-years now. Lets me have MBB (unlimited via Millenicom) and my home broadband (also uncapped via DSL Extreme) for what I was paying for DirecTV alone...the content is just offered differently...

BTW, don't forget Hulu is also in the mix with a ton of current content too...

K3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium Member
join:2006-01-17
Columbia, PA

K3SGM to NPGMBR

Premium Member

to NPGMBR
said by NPGMBR:

I've used Netflix's Instant Play like two times and im on a FIOS connection. Experienced to re-buffering either time but Im not really into watching movies on my PC.
Hey, I've got the ROKU box along with my Netflix subscription and am generally happy with it, all I was really saying was to try it out on a PC before you invest the $99 in the ROKU or hundreds more on an XBOX360 for the same content.

NPGMBR
join:2001-03-28
Arlington, VA

NPGMBR

Well im creating a MS ecosystem with my Vista PC, Zune and soon a 360. I'll have my flicks sent to my XBox. I had to edit my post because I had a typo that made it look like re-buffering was a problem and it is not. Never experienced it.

burgermeister
All Computers Are Junk
join:2000-10-23
Utica, MI

burgermeister to astiyosti8

to astiyosti8
I have an XBox, but chose to get the Netflix through my 'watch it now' enabled Blu-Ray player. I don't have the XBox live so I go the free way.

canesfan2001
Hialeah, FL

2 edits

canesfan2001 to ender7074

to ender7074
I WISH TO UN-FLAME
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to ender7074

to ender7074
said by ender7074:

$20?

Try $8.99. Even less if you shop well.

$1.99/movie with no monthly fee wouldn't be too bad, if it included the entire Blockbuster catalog. But if its only the same 10,000 titles that RedBox and Netflix instant have, I'll stick with Netflix.
I pos rep
join:2008-08-22

I pos rep to ender7074

to ender7074
said by ender7074:

You can get unlimited streaming with the $8.99 plan of one DVD per month.

I have the two DVD plan along with unlimited streaming for $13.99 a month. I think even the 3 DVD plan is below $20 a month with blu ray and unlimited included.

Netflix has great pricing but I would not mind paying a dollar extra to ensure higher bitrates. A dollar extra is also the cost to have blu ray available on your selection.

Their highest plan one is 3800kbps a sec with their new encoding which I might not know enough of VC1 encoding but I doubt it will be as great as they make it sound. This is my only problem with them. They should do it higher since they obviously are doing over 6000Kbps with another encoding for HD.
Couch Potato
What?
Premium Member
join:2004-08-29
Statesville, NC

Couch Potato

Premium Member

said by I pos rep:

I have the two DVD plan along with unlimited streaming for $13.99 a month. I think even the 3 DVD plan is below $20 a month with blu ray and unlimited included.

Netflix has great pricing but I would not mind paying a dollar extra to ensure higher bitrates. A dollar extra is also the cost to have blu ray available on your selection.
Ya know, I have had the blu ray option on my Netflix account ever since I signed up with them this summer and did not know they charged a dollar extra. As a matter of fact, I just logged into their website and checked my billing history and this is the first month they charged me that extra dollar.

I too have the 2 discs out at once with unlimited swaps and streaming with the blu ray option.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to ender7074

to ender7074
said by ender7074:

Considering one pays over $4 to rent a movie at a store and you don't have to get out the house to get it ro return it I'd say it's a good deal.

$20 a month is great if you actually watch a lot of movies. I don't spend $20 a month at the video store. As far as the "unlimited" part. It's not very "unlimited" for those Comcast customers and soon to be at&t and TW customers.
TopDog8
join:2007-02-02
Brandon, MS

TopDog8

No way

Nice try, Blockbuster but it's too little too late.

I cancelled BB Online this summer in anticipation of the Netflix deal with Xbox360. So far, I've been very impressed. The movie selection is not as slim as you would think. Basically any movie that runs on Starz is available for streaming on Netflix as well as many others. Also there are many TV shows from classics like Miami Vice, Rockford Files, Quantum Leap, Incredible Hulk to current shows like the Office, CSI (all 3 iterations), Heroes, etc. Best of all, they are FREE (with Netflix subscription).

BB may be able to steal away some PPV business from cable and the satellites, but this doesn't compete with Netflix-Xbox.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

Re: No way

I have the Roku box and it is excellent. True plug and play, and my wife even likes it. With the activation of Netflix streaming via TiVo Series 3 DVRs in a couple of weeks, Blockbuster's weak offering is ever more irrelevant. Can't say I'll be sorry to see them go.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

No HD - No way

Wouldn't spend a wooden nickle on it if it doesn't do HD from the start.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez

This has potential, but it might take a while

No streaming?? No HD?? This is a joke, right? The reason early online video outlets failed is because nobody (most people I should say) is interested in searching for a movie they want, selecting it, going to dinner, THEN watching it 5 hours later. Streaming is successful because it directly competes with on demand. Consumers want to select a movie, press a button, and watch. The CEO is right, if you cant stream it you might as well drive to the store and rent the disk.
jgantert
join:2004-06-02
Columbia, MD

1 edit

jgantert

Re: This has potential, but it might take a while

said by wifi4milez:

The CEO is right, if you cant stream it you might as well drive to the store and rent the disk.
Well said. Why even bother bringing this device to market, it is just destined for failure. No chance this will take off.
mrsdrgn2
join:2007-12-25
Lake Worth, FL

mrsdrgn2

Never heard of Apple TV?

"You can drive to our local store and rent a Blu-ray disc in less time than it will take you to download a movie in high-def," he said.

What's he talking about. I rent my movies in HD from Apple TV in no time. I don't have to drive anywhere and I can start watching right away. I think DVD movies time is up.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

Re: Never heard of Apple TV?

said by mrsdrgn2:

"You can drive to our local store and rent a Blu-ray disc in less time than it will take you to download a movie in high-def," he said.

What's he talking about. I rent my movies in HD from Apple TV in no time. I don't have to drive anywhere and I can start watching right away. I think DVD movies time is up.
If you think Apple "HD" is the same thing as blu-ray a you are pretty ignorant.

Blu-ray 1080p 40 Mbps bit rate

Apple "HD" 72-p 4 Mbps bit rate.

Hell even regular DVD has a bitrate of 8 Mbps.

And depending on your connection it could take awhile to downoad a "HD" movie from Apple. Even a 10 Mbps connection it would take over an hour to download a "HD" move from Apple. You do realize of those that have broadband most don't even have a 5 Mbps connection.

DaveDude
No Fear
join:1999-09-01
New Jersey

DaveDude

I like Download rather then stream

I like this better because you can download the film, rather then stream. I would rather actually have the film available to watch over and over, rather then be in constant state of streaming. Netflix i think will have a problem with the streaming aspect, because no ones broadband is that well managed.

••••••••••

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303

Premium Member

alittle late in the game dont you think.

With all the others out there on the market this will fail quickly. But on the other hand you have people who dont care about Hd or anything like that and will pony up the money for it.
Rob_
Premium Member
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL

Rob_

Premium Member

caps and caps..

i think my subject says it all. when ISP's go pay per byte, all of this bullshit will be useless.

so all of this VOIP ness will cease to exist as there will not be a truly "unlimited" data plan anymore.

-if this happens (which it seems to be slowly)

-Rob
mrsdrgn2
join:2007-12-25
Lake Worth, FL

mrsdrgn2

Re: caps and caps..

Good point!! But it all depends on the cap number. I have Comcast and they have a 250 gb cap. That's a lot of movies. It also depends on how many movies you watch.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Re: caps and caps..

said by mrsdrgn2:

Good point!! But it all depends on the cap number. I have Comcast and they have a 250 gb cap. That's a lot of movies. It also depends on how many movies you watch.
If Comcast offered a $10 service with a 25GB cap and reasonable overage costs, than we would be talking about a pay as you go model. The current setup is just a money-making scheme to take us for all they can. It works since most people don't have another option. As long as prices stay just south of insane, Comcast will keep raking in the big dollars while insuring that there is no need to make way for increased capacity issues.
Vtr_Racing
join:2006-09-04
Pflugerville, TX

Vtr_Racing

XBOX360 Stream from Netflix

Ive been using it since the switchover on XBOX. I was skeptical but so far its worked great. I think I will be keeping my account with Netflix. Blockbuster better get on the ball or get left behind. Blockbuster cant even get the billing right when you rent from them so I dont have a high expectation from them either. Just like their CEO says! lOL...

•••
momus_98
join:2002-09-10
united state
·Google Fiber

momus_98

That's entertainment

I haven't set foot in Lackluster in a great many years (and never plan to), so I can't speak to the validity of the experience these days. But, the reason why Lackluster sucks so much is:

- They never forget about that $3.00 late fee from a movie you rented 3 years ago, even if your recollection of the movie has long since slipped into the mists of time. And good luck trying to negotiate with the pimply-faced flunky behind the counter about it.

- Forget trying to find any sort of indie or "intelligent" movie. A million copies of Lethal Weapon 4, but no copies of The Road Home? Great. Also, don't count on finding anything they deem to be offensive. Lackluster gets to decide what you watch, not you.

- Two year old movies still filed in the "New Releases" section. No copies left of any new movie you really want to see.

- Five people on staff on a Saturday night; only one actually running the register. You stand in line feeling your soul ooze out onto the floor while someone's bratty kids clamor around you crying about some lame Disney flick that they couldn't find.

- Although I work in a video store, you actually want me to recommend a good movie? How about Live Free or Die Hard?

Uh, never mind.

- You race down to the specific Lackluster store you rented from (cause, heavens no, it can't go to just any location), sprint to the door like some Kenyan track star only to find out you're a minute too late; even if you drop the video into the return slot in full view of the staff inside, there's no escaping that $3.00 late fee. (See first example. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.)

Going to Lackluster is as demoralizing an experience as anyone will encounter. Thank the FSM for Netflix.

••••••

Ark4
join:2002-06-08
Lansing, MI

Ark4

Netflix's is HD?

I thought all Netflix watch-instantly was SD still?

Either way, the difference is going to be primarily that Netflix is free if you already have Netflix and a way to hook it to your TV. For me, that's cloned secondary output at 1920x1080 with a 25' VGA cable running under my floor from the computer room, and a bluetooth mouse. For others, Xbox 360 or or several new Blu-ray players have it built-in now.

And secondly, maybe more important, is that the selection of what is available to stream is just pathetic compared to what you can get on DVDs. Until the networks license all new TV show series that are on DVDs to be streamed and all newly released movies and anime are available for streaming as well, it just won't matter what the price or quality is.
I pos rep
join:2008-08-22

I pos rep

Re: Netflix's is HD?

said by Ark4:

I thought all Netflix watch-instantly was SD still?

Either way, the difference is going to be primarily that Netflix is free if you already have Netflix and a way to hook it to your TV. For me, that's cloned secondary output at 1920x1080 with a 25' VGA cable running under my floor from the computer room, and a bluetooth mouse. For others, Xbox 360 or or several new Blu-ray players have it built-in now.

And secondly, maybe more important, is that the selection of what is available to stream is just pathetic compared to what you can get on DVDs. Until the networks license all new TV show series that are on DVDs to be streamed and all newly released movies and anime are available for streaming as well, it just won't matter what the price or quality is.
No, Netflix also has HD but their selection of HD stuff available is much more limited. It was not even half of what it is now 6 months ago so it just keeps improving.

I do have a beef with the low quality for HD. IT IS NOT HIGH QUALITY ENOUGH. Not for me. Sure, I understand they are trying to serve the most people possible but they are sacrificing too much quality for people that can't get connections faster than 5Mbps when a lot of us could do higher than 10Mbps easy if offered.

They should be focusing on VC-1 encodings at 5000kbps at least since their current encodings at over 6000Kbps are not high quality enough. They are planning on going as low as 3800kbps on their highest VC-1 encodings for HD.

Comment Guy
@66.183.59.x

Comment Guy

Anon

Comment Guy take on Blockbusters regresive set top box

I love waiting several hours to watch a downloaded movies from Blockbuster as much as I need a hole in my head. Download video sucks ass. I'd never buy a download set top box.

I want an instant streaming set top box from a service provider where I can get high definition 1080p blu-ray quality video on demand and live tv from one place over a low bandwidth connection (3Mbps or less) on both PC Player for PC and set top box for TV.

Oh wait, it already exists, it's called MyTVPAL! and Netflix! (WWW.MYTVPAL.COM) / ( WWW.NETFLIX.COM )

Blockbuster is just trying to keep it's stock up until it dies! It has no flare innovation. Those who do not innovate do not survive.

On demand means instant playing. So we should call it "wait several hours then never use the darn box again because your fed up of download boxes, just like AKIMBO". That's right! Just like Akimbo.

Congratulations Blockbuster on once again missing the mark and sailing below our expectations.

Long live 1080p blu-ray instant streaming on MTP and NF!

Comment Guy

•••

blaaa
@comcast.net

blaaa

Anon

blaaa

You can watch a lot of DVD rentals for that initial money they want, for a box that in the end you will be paying the same price as if you rented from a DVD store. FAILURE