dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-11-26 09:54:53: Sonic.net CEO Dan Jasper stops by our forums to note that the California ISP is tinkering with a new online backup service that delivers fifty gigs of storage for $4.95 a month (or 500MB for free). ..

kapil
The Kapil
join:2000-04-26
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

kapil

We Need More Companies Like This

What an exemplary model of a small business - succeeding against all odds in the shadow of AT&T and its very anti-competitive business practices.

We need more companies like this. We need more business leaders like DJ. And we sure could use some more independent ISPs so consumers have a choice other than the ILEC/Cable monopolies.
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb

Premium Member

But but but...

Where's the whining and sniping about how it's not FTTH? You know, the standard BBR response to anything that relies on *gasp* copper. All this time I was led to believe that anything that isn't FTTH is completely useless and kills puppies.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

1 edit

tubbynet

MVM

but when anything triumphs over a big corporation while still using copper [it] only kills the *ugly* puppies that no one wants...

edit: [it]
simpy34
Simpy34
join:2003-08-04
Travis Afb, CA

simpy34

Awesome Company

If anyone is reading this that needs internet service, go with this company if are in their area. Their customer service is outstanding and I hate that I am not their customer anymore due to other reasons. Highly recommended and I do wish corporations would follow their level of service and commitment. Go Sonic!!

(No, I do not work for them)

caesarv
join:1999-08-02
Santa Rosa, CA

caesarv

Ditto!
....and no I don't work for them...but I do wear their T-Shirts
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

Misleading Press

But Comcast has faced criticism from broadband analysts who say its network is overloaded and slows down during peak hours. Because AT&T and Sonic.net use copper wires -- not coaxial cable -- they don't experience the same type of congestion.

that quote from »www.pressdemocrat.com/ar ··· 10190340 is misleading. ALL Internet faces congestion just not cable.

But what to except from a DSL issued news story. DSL Providers only tell half the truth which is generally a lie to begin with.
dynodb
Premium Member
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

dynodb

Premium Member

said by hottboiinnc4:

But Comcast has faced criticism from broadband analysts who say its network is overloaded and slows down during peak hours. Because AT&T and Sonic.net use copper wires -- not coaxial cable -- they don't experience the same type of congestion.

that quote from »www.pressdemocrat.com/ar ··· 10190340 is misleading. ALL Internet faces congestion just not cable.

But what to except from a DSL issued news story. DSL Providers only tell half the truth which is generally a lie to begin with.
Congestion has absolutely nothing to do with the medium delivering a broadband connection.

That said, the congestion does tend to occur in different places (namely upstream vs downstream of the node) with DSL or cable, and thus one may have an easier and/or more cost effective resolution than the other.
Expand your moderator at work
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to dynodb

to dynodb

Re: Misleading Press

i know how it works.

The article basically states that DSL from Sonic.net & ATT do not experience the same speed issues as Comcast because Comcast uses coaxial and Sonic.net and ATT use copper.

Well actually if they knew anything both experience speed issues is what i meant. Thus you should have realized that.
tcstone
join:2002-03-12
united kingd

tcstone

name

I believe his name is DANE Jasper. Not Dan.

Picky Customer
@sonic.net

Picky Customer to simpy34

Anon

to simpy34

Re: Awesome Company

I've been with Sonic for seven years +, having found refuge from the wreckage of Sirius Connections. Sirius was another good local outfit, but they were run into the ground after being bought out.

My only complaint about Sonic are the hoops one has to jump through post-contract -- one has to be vigilant about actively negotiating a new one, or they'll drop you into the higher month-to-month rates.

To be fair, it's something other service companies also do, but one would think a company that is top notch in all other respects would make it easier for loyal customers to remain loyal, and give a heads up.

However, they don't give notification, and the sales staff isn't consistent or up to date on the post-contract options when you do call to renegotiate, but in the end, they do make everything right.

But I have a friend who is a former-Sonic customer because he's more price sensitive and doesn't value the overall package as much as I do.