dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-11-28 12:10:29: Time Warner Cable has sued AT&T in federal court in San Antonio, claiming that AT&T destroyed cable equipment during expansion of the telco's U-Verse VDSL and IPTV service. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next

S_engineer
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Chicago, IL

S_engineer

Premium Member

What proof do they have?

Why let the facts get in the way of a good story!

NY Tel
Premium Member
join:2004-04-09
Smithtown, NY

NY Tel

Premium Member

said by S_engineer:

Why let the facts get in the way of a good story!
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

47717768 (banned)

Cut cable

About 3 years a go someone has cut cable under ground so we were out of cable TV service for 3 days and did not get a credit.

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather to S_engineer

Premium Member

to S_engineer

Re: What proof do they have?

The story is about the lawsuit. Why let fanboyism get in the way of common sense?
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

well there is some fact here, if AT&T dug up coax trunks or damaged nodes then they are fully liable.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

well there is some fact here, if AT&T dug up coax trunks or damaged nodes then they are fully liable.
But the question is, was it really vandalism, or was it like with most other utilities, they were either digging and had not had the area marked, or were the markings in the wrong place. Utilities get dug up all the time. But that doesn't mean it is vandalism.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08

Premium Member

LOL

lol who wrote this?

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru

That is what the court will decide, if it's not settled ahead of time.

CompTech210
join:2008-09-14
College Station, TX

CompTech210

oh my.....

well sounds kinda drawn out to me. I personally have services from both DSL from ATT and RR from TWC and when we had the line originally removed a year ago when we got digital phone all they did was cut the line coming from the NID re-splice it and hook it into their own box. 2 months later they came back out and ran a new line for my dry dsl and i was up and running so i have a more stable line for VPN.

and well since i live in SATX this will be a fun one to watch and see whats really going on.

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3

'Tis the new American Way

Don't offer a better price .....

Don't offer a better product ...

Don't offer a better service ....

Just sue your competition so the consumer gets no choice and has to use your product/service at your price or do without.

wirphotos
join:2002-07-22
Green Bay, WI

wirphotos

Ahhh Time Warner is just finally realizing their screwing of customers for years has finally put them close to out of business.

We have all heard the ads from TWC where they say "try are all the best package with internet speeds 10X faster than DSL." Now TWC offers their all the best package that comes with 768 internet, thats 4X faster than DSL! DSL's slowest speed is 768.

Only one more month that we are stuck with TWC

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

Tel to 47717768

to 47717768

Re: Cut cable

said by 47717768:

About 3 years a go someone has cut cable under ground so we were out of cable TV service for 3 days and did not get a credit.
Nothing at all to do at all with this story, but if you haven't bothered to call in 3 years, then it's too late now.

Doctor Four
My other vehicle is a TARDIS
Premium Member
join:2000-09-05
Dallas, TX

Doctor Four to BK3

Premium Member

to BK3

Re: 'Tis the new American Way

said by BK3:

Just sue your competition so the consumer gets no choice and has to use your product/service at your price or do without.
And then impose ridiculously low (40GB) usage caps when the consumer has no other choice. Though AT&T is also going to implement caps - theirs are much more generous.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

It's funny to watch people stand up for At&t..

Err, excuse me, the Exaflood myth bringers who made the FCC destroy competition for 8 years.

sabersaw
Premium Member
join:2001-08-21
Dayton, OH

sabersaw

Premium Member

NID access

Not directly related to the suit but... I have wondered about the legality of ATT going into TW NIDs to use pre-existing coax. Sure the coax going into the house is probably now the home owners. But those NIDs are still property of TW right?
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned) to Tel

to Tel

said by Tel:

said by 47717768:

Nothing at all to do at all with this story, but if you haven't bothered to call in 3 years, then it's too late now.
I did call.

cfm117
join:2004-02-13
Winnetka, CA

cfm117 to sabersaw

to sabersaw

Re: NID access

No difference as Time Warner goes into ATT NIDS to reuse inside wiring ATT installed.

sabersaw
Premium Member
Dayton, OH

sabersaw

Premium Member

Didn't know that. Thought they just plugged the VoIP ATAs into an inside RJ-11 jack. But I have never noticed before.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by sabersaw:

Didn't know that. Thought they just plugged the VoIP ATAs into an inside RJ-11 jack. But I have never noticed before.
Don't they have to disconnect the premises from the telco loop when they do that? Doesn't disconnection of the premises from the telco loop mean physically accessing the telco MPOE (whether station protector, or NID) to cut the connection?

italia
@rr.com

italia

Anon

TW Coax

I've worked at Uverse's tier 2 support and ATT does not use TWC's cable and neither does TWC. It's against the law for ATT to use TWC's lines and they don't have permission to. ATT has been known for doing these types of things on purpose. Trust me as they are by far the worst company I have ever worked for and they are very untrustworthly.....
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP to 47717768

to 47717768

said by 47717768:

said by Tel:

said by 47717768:

I did call.
Regardless of who you're with, I am 99.99% sure your ToS says something about service not being guaranteed and/or that they are not liable for outages beyond their control. Or words to that effect.

CableGei
Premium Member
join:2004-05-27
Castle Rock, CO

CableGei

Premium Member

Pay Back.

I believe this is mainly about damage incurred from U-Verse installations on the customer's premesis, such as house boxes broken into in order to access coax (debatable, as this becomes the customer's property), improper hookups resulting in noise being injected into TWC's plant, MDU lock boxes being broken into to access coax, TWC customers getting disconnected as a result of inexperienced U-Verse Premises Techs attempting to tone out and locate outlets within MDU lock boxes, "stealing" the bond/ground equipment, improper hookup resulting in TWC services not working within the home (for homes that have both at&t and TWC services).

It basically the same things that the phone companies whined about when cable companies entered the phone business... it's just the other way around now.

sabersaw
Premium Member
Dayton, OH

sabersaw to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS

I suppose that would be good practice even if not required. But couldn't just disconnecting the customer side solve that problem. I am not that familiar with this stuff. Have more experience with smartjacks and business copper demarcation rules. But to me there is a difference between opening up the customer side of ATT's NID and cutting a tag off and opening TW's NID.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to 47717768

Premium Member

to 47717768

You should be glad it wasn't the gas line they cut.

Last week I was out at a local community college for a day. There is a lot of construction going on there now, and where I was located, they were adding a gas line to the existing service. The contractor had a map showing the location of the current gas line, but apparently the map was wrong by a few feet. They were very careful about the trenching and one guy hand dug at the end to find the actual line. Of course, those who break gas lines can be severely injured in an explosion. That's a good incentive to be careful.

The Vigilante to 47717768

Anon

to 47717768
If they don't provide the service, irrespective of whose fault it is, then don't pay. If you're without service for three days, calculate how much that three days costs and deduct that from your payment. Make sure to advise TW in writing that you've done this. I'd be very interested to see them try to demand payment for service not provided.
NetLarry
join:2007-03-18
Johnstown, PA

NetLarry to NormanS

to NormanS

When my company switches a subscriber from Verizon to Atlantic Broadband phone service, we:

Unplug the RJ connector in the NID and put a piece of tape over the connector to "remind" nosy folks not to plug it back in. This isolates the telco loop from the house wiring.
Plug in a phone cord from the MTA to an internal phone jack in the home. This activates all the phone outlets existing in the home.

You DO own the interior wiring in your home & are responsible for it. Just call the phone company to fix an interior wiring issue; if you're not paying "insurance" or "wire maintenance" monthly fees, you'll get a stiff bill. Doesn't matter if it's telephone wire or cable coax, if it is on your side of the network interface, it is yours.

Note that I cannot attest to the behavior of the employees and contractors for other cable & phone companies.

NetLarry

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to Dogfather

MVM

to Dogfather

An issue I noticed when my in-laws switched to UVerse....the AT&T installers, for some reason, cut the incoming coax line down to the ground, rather than just unplugging it from the box. My in-laws were unhappy enough with TW that they'd never go back, so it isn't an issue for them, but if theirs was the common "install", I could see TW being a little upset. They do technically own that line all the way up to the box, and you MIGHT be able to make an argument for vandalism.

Then again that was in Austin, no telling what is going on in San Antonio.
EPS4
join:2008-02-13
Hingham, MA

EPS4 to Metatron2008

to Metatron2008

Re: It's funny to watch people stand up for At&t..

As opposed to the biggest advocate for low caps, Time Warner Cable? No company (not even Verizon) is immune here, might as well go for the side of the carrier that's at least providing some competition rather than the one who is trying to block it. (Though vandalizing cable equipment is bad and if they're doing it deliberately they do deserve punishment)

cfm117
join:2004-02-13
Winnetka, CA

cfm117 to italia

to italia

Re: TW Coax

said by italia :

I've worked at Uverse's tier 2 support and ATT does not use TWC's cable and neither does TWC. It's against the law for ATT to use TWC's lines and they don't have permission to. ATT has been known for doing these types of things on purpose. Trust me as they are by far the worst company I have ever worked for and they are very untrustworthly.....
Says the troll with the rr.com address

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK

Premium Member

The facts:the technicians don't care about the competition

So if they inadvertently damage the competitions equipment, (or not so inadvertently) they simply don't care.
page: 1 · 2 · next