dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-12-04 14:31:46: If you recall, the network neutrality debate truly took off in the States back in 2005, when former SBC (now AT&T) CEO Ed Whitacre told Business Week in an article that Google wanted to use Ed's "pipes", for free. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · next
redhatnation
Premium Member
join:2005-06-02
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit

3 recommendations

redhatnation

Premium Member

Thank you, Karl

Well written summary.

Would be nice if the various Congressional committees, the FTC, and the DOJ, who are sniffing around this issue read dslreports.com.

en102
Canadian, eh?
join:2001-01-26
Valencia, CA

en102

AT&T is using old Telco model

Basically = AT&T wants to make the Internet become 2 parts, just like phone service = pay for the local loop, then pay for the interconnection (aka long distance ) on a per byte rather than per minute use.

canesfan2001
join:2003-02-04
Hialeah, FL

canesfan2001

"You gotta pay the troll toll...

...to get into that boy's hole"

youkilledkenny
@comcast.net

youkilledkenny

Anon

haha

@the southpark clip

NetAdmin1
CCNA
join:2008-05-22

NetAdmin1

Peering

Don't forget peering. Google eliminates a lot of their transport costs by peering directly with large network providers. Not only is that good for Google, it is good for network providers because their transport costs are reduced.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to en102

Premium Member

to en102

Re: AT&T is using old Telco model

wouldnt shock me because VOIP and Cell Phones made their "Local Long-Distance" bullshit obsolete. when i lived in CT it was cheaper for me to call Seattle then Hartford. so they need to find a new cash cow.
Kearnstd

Kearnstd to NetAdmin1

Premium Member

to NetAdmin1

Re: Peering

they also have Datacenters around the world which means they have less distance to cover to each user. which im sure effects cost and performance for everyone involved
Methadras
join:2004-05-26
Spring Valley, CA

Methadras

Google to become an ISP

At this stage of the game it seems feasible for Google to begin, if they haven't already the process of becoming their own net neutral ISP. Offer people broadband speeds at a fair price, use their pipelines to get internet without having google be a watchdog outside of advertising datamining. Wishful thinking? I could be wrong.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

So, in a nutshell (a Telco analogy)

Let's make an analogy here:

Instead of the originating caller paying the long-distance toll charges, AT&T now wants to charge their customer for the long-distance per-minute toll and also charge the person their customer is calling a per-minute toll charge ... even though the person the AT&T customer is calling (or has been called by) may have a completely different phone company.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

jmn1207

Premium Member

Broken System

This story underlines the basic faults with most major corporations. The focus on providing a quality service or product is completely lost. Instead, making money becomes the business. Whatever they are selling is just a means to an end and it is all about the profits with little or no regard to what is being sold or what initially made them successful.

If Google were to fork over 2 billion dollars, only .0001% of the wealthiest employers would see any benefits. I'm offended that it was even mentioned that the regular consumer could save money on our internet service if only Google paid their "fair share". That is complete BS.

I'm sick of these mega-companies with their skeleton crews and piss-poor customer service making enormous profits while spreading this wealth in such a lopsided, anti-consumer distribution ratio.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

LOL@ed

its hard to believe that At&t could be so dumb

woody7
Premium Member
join:2000-10-13
Torrance, CA

woody7 to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3

Re: So, in a nutshell (a Telco analogy)

hmmm......isn't that what the cell phone companies do?you pay for incoming and out going........
Methadras
join:2004-05-26
Spring Valley, CA

Methadras to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix

Re: LOL@ed

said by DarkLogix:

its hard to believe that At&t could be so dumb
Yeah, but their stupidity is shaping policy at this point. I'm not hearing the loud clarion call from the net neutrality advocates at this point and they don't have enough cash to pressure Washington to give them a fair hearing.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to woody7

Premium Member

to woody7

Re: So, in a nutshell (a Telco analogy)

said by woody7:

hmmm......isn't that what the cell phone companies do?you pay for incoming and out going........
I believe you're onto something there ....
probboy
join:2008-01-10
Natick, MA

1 edit

1 recommendation

probboy to Methadras

to Methadras

Re: Google to become an ISP

Based on recent events (like the 700Mhz auction), Google has no desire to become an ISP since that would take money and decrease their profits.

Of course, if someone else is willing to give them spectrum for free (i.e., the white space debate) and someone else is willing to pay for the infrastructure (like sheeple buying white space adapters), Google is gladly ride on top of it serving up ads and collecting a buck.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to redhatnation

to redhatnation

Re: Thank you, Karl

said by redhatnation:

Well written summary.

Would be nice if the various Congressional committees, the FTC, and the DOJ, who are sniffing around this issue read dslreports.com.
You are assuming Congress is actually smart enough to see through the BS spewed by these so called "objective" lobbyists.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by moonpuppy:

said by redhatnation:

Well written summary.

You are assuming Congress is actually smart enough to see through the BS spewed by these so called "objective" lobbyists.
Your assuming that they have any interest anymore in the good of the people

so add these up
"Objective" lobbists
a non-tech savvy Congress
a congress with no interist in the people anymore
a (soon to be)president that won't veto "his" congress
a president that is just as dumb as congress

=we're in for some real ****
oh Supreme court help us

fcisler
Premium Member
join:2004-06-14
Riverhead, NY

fcisler to NetAdmin1

Premium Member

to NetAdmin1

Re: Peering

Google will peer (paid or SFI) with just about anyone.

My ISP (Cablevision/OOL) hops directly out of their network right onto google's network...5 hops out of mine and then another 10 hops to google.com.

Millenniumle
join:2007-11-11
Fredonia, NY

Millenniumle to moonpuppy

to moonpuppy

Re: Thank you, Karl

Which assumes they even care. There is money and career to consider.
moonpuppy (banned)
join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD

moonpuppy (banned) to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by moonpuppy:

said by redhatnation:

Well written summary.

Your assuming that they have any interest anymore in the good of the people

so add these up
"Objective" lobbyists
a non-tech savvy Congress
a congress with no interest in the people anymore
a (soon to be)president that won't veto "his" congress
a president that is just as dumb as congress

=we're in for some real ****
oh Supreme court help us
Hope and Change.

Sammer
join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

2 recommendations

Sammer to jmn1207

to jmn1207

Re: Broken System

said by jmn1207:

If Google were to fork over 2 billion dollars, only .0001% of the wealthiest employers would see any benefits. I'm offended that it was even mentioned that the regular consumer could save money on our internet service if only Google paid their "fair share". That is complete BS.
You got that right, AT&T will charge consumers whatever the market will bear no matter what Google pays for internet service. AT&T would even like Congress to legislate that consumers have to pay more than they would ordinarily be willing to bear. This is simply an argument about whether AT&T should be able to to legally steal some of Google's profits and has nothing to do with consumers.
raye
Premium Member
join:2000-08-14
Orange, CA

raye

Premium Member

Google would be happy to use AT&T's network

If they could actually find it. Even AT&T armed with a flashlight and a map could not find portions of their network.

Google buys bandwidth from just about every Tier One backbone provider including AT&T see »www.fixedorbit.com/AS/15 ··· 5169.htm

What is AT&T boo-hooing about? Sprint and Level3 have better backbones anyway dump AT&T.

googluva
@charter.com

googluva

Anon

Do no evil (or hide it well)

Google is great, Google is good, let us thank Karl for this Google food. Yum, yum, I love cool-aid.

Google has been driving down ISP costs with their massive size for years. This has a rippling industry impact. May sound good in principal, but traffic growth costs still exist and guess where they are going... quietly and completely to you and me.

Peering you say??? Well most smart ISPs know that peering with content is not really a good thing in the long run. May sounds good day 1 to save on today's transit costs, but it allows content growth to double, triple, 10x output without worry and at the expense of the ISP. Growth is something to watch. Shift in "who pays" is something consumer sites should consider.
raye
Premium Member
join:2000-08-14
Orange, CA

raye

Premium Member

Internet connections could be more affordable for everyone?

consumer connections average between 30-60/month that seems pretty cheap to me. would like to see greater download speeds for consumer and cheaper buiness lines.

AT&T charges about $200 per T1 line local loop charge more for T3 and higher what will chaqrging Google more do to reduce that ripoff?

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

4 edits

funchords

MVM

The Neat Thing about Cleland's Article --

-- is that it's self-destructive.

It's been a bad week for the bad guys.

First, Richard Bennett running around claiming that VOIP and gaming were going to end because BitTorrent was switching to UDP (ignoring the fact that it has an even MORE conservative congestion method than TCP does).

Now, Scott Cleland with this "research" that says Google not only should pay its bills but ours too -- plus an extra 80% or so on top of that to account for "illegal" traffic that Google doesn't participate in.*

He picks on Google for actually answering web-page requests from its voluntary users and for spidering the WWW, which search engines have done since long before Google. Perhaps Google ought to reduce its site count by one -- and just wait until Cleland gives them "permission" to spider it -- I'd bet Cleland would gladly continue to foot the bandwidth bill.

Then he goes on to make this ridiculous comparison to the trucking industry.
said by Cleland :

Any analysis of public highway funding will show that businesses/trucks, which put the most cost burden on the highways, pay substantially more than consumers/cars – the exact opposite of Google's recommended broadband model, where consumers shoulder most all of Google's distribution costs.
Now, "hands up" if you've ever bought something at the store or ordered anything that comes in a truck. Was shipping free? Nope -- you either pay shipping charges or price markups? Truckers, although nice people, don't carry the freight for free. Yes, road taxes are collected in the various taxes, fees, mileage and fuel surcharges heavily imposed on truckers but the consumer pays those -- in advance -- often as a separate "shipping" line-item on the receipt or the retailer pays them and passes the cost on to the consumer in pricing!

Keep talkin' guys. The consumers think you're doing a great job!

*in the report, Cleland dismisses 40% or so of the total bandwidth crossing the Internet as "Illegal" so he can subtract it from the denominator, which inflates Google's share of bandwidth by a factor of nearly two! This guy ought to work in the Treasury bailing out corporations!!

goliath28
@comcast.net

goliath28

Anon

This is ridiculous!

So by their mentalitity:

I buy a car (my computer), I pay taxes to build the roads (my ISP), I go to the grocery store (google) who also BTW pays taxes to pay for the roads and other infrastructure (their ISP/transit providers); so that we can reach each other. Now what they are saying is that they want to add an additional tax to actually put the car on said road??? Who do they think they are, the government!

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

2 recommendations

funchords

MVM

Actually, it's very "Phone Company."

These are the guys that charge you $0.20 to receive a text message, and sell you packages to get all the text you want.

Then, once they get people used to that model, they want to charge the senders money, too. »Verizon Charges Companies 3 Cents To SMS Their Customers [46] comments

These are the brainiacs that charged you extra for "Touch Tone," or to keep your number from being printed in the directory -- even though touch tone and unlisted phone numbers both save them money.

If they were Hoteliers, they'd charge you for the room and charge you for looking in the mirror.

brandon
Some truth included in this post.
Premium Member
join:2003-03-31
Ocean Springs, MS

1 edit

1 recommendation

brandon

Premium Member

So much slant.

Once again, I wish I could hear the other side of the argument so I could make an informed decision. Instead I get Karl's anti-corporate slant and that's it.

It's not your blog, Karl. Report the news, or call everything an editorial.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

Key analogy has merit

»www.netcompetition.org/s ··· sts2.pdf
Since Google often compares the Internet to the public highway system, the study also examined how the U.S. highway system apportions costs among business users and consumers. The analysis of public highway funding shows that businesses/trucks, which put the most cost burden on the highways, pay substantially more than consumers/cars – the exact opposite of Google’s recommended broadband model, where consumers shoulder most all of Google’s costs for using and profiting off the Internet more than any other entity. The study highlights the inconsistency in Google’s position supporting government ownership/regulation of the Internet like the U.S. highway system, but not adopt the economic model and fairness of the highway system -- where the heaviest users that cause the most costs -- shoulder most of the costs.
Google, as usual, wants to have things their way - make lots of money off the infrastructure paid for by others without carrying the real costs incurred(because of the huge discounts they get).

In the end, however, the consumer in the home ends up paying the bill one way or another
- to ISPs, or to Google thru higher costs of goods that pays all that advertising money going to Google, or to the gov't if some get their way of having the Feds pay for infrastructure improvements to the internet.

All the sturm & drang between content providers(like Google); ISPs; and the government is really just a fight over who gets to keep the biggest pieces of the internet pie. When all the fighting is done, the cost is the cost and will be paid by end users one way or another. All anyone is doing here is picking sides to determine which CEOs and/or pols are going to make out the best.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

What google should do

Just simply Block At&t
de-peer and block all trafic from At&t

then At&t will learn that they should have fired Ed 3 years ago

show them the benefit of peering with them by removing them