spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-12-11 11:42:50: Comcast this morning stated that the nation's soon to be largest broadband operator would be deploying their new "Extreme 50" 50Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 tier in parts of Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, and Fort Wayne, Indiana. ..

page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next

nasadude

join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

good news, bad news

the good news is we finally get to see speeds they've had in Europe and Asia for a couple of years now.

the bad news is it cost 4x as much

must be our competitive market.

jammmin

join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD
I would never go back to Comcrap. Six years of spotty internet service that never got fixed.

Constant patch work by repair guys that never totally solved the issue.
Since I switched to Verizon FIOS a few months ago, consistently fast speeds and no downtime. Couldn’t be happier.

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to nasadude
said by nasadude:

the good news is we finally get to see speeds they've had in Europe and Asia for a couple of years now.
the bad news is it cost 4x as much
must be our competitive market.
Nothing to see here; it's only the 'invisible hand' in your pocket.
Wait till its little friend maneuvers for the 'reach-around'.
--

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use

what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use room for more uncompressed HD not there over compressed hd that they have now.

burgerwars

join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA

50mbps

Until I win the lottery, there's no way I can justify spending $139.95 a month for 50mbps.

When will Northern Virginia

Does anyone know when the new speed be available in Northern Virginia, ALexandria area?

JahsDisciple
Living my life like it's golden
Premium
join:2007-07-07
Baltimore, MD
reply to burgerwars

Re: 50mbps

i concur. lol...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Joe12345678

Re: what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use

they need a bigger cap
at 50Mbit/sec you could use 250GB in one day
50/8(bit byte conversion)*60sec*60min*24hours/1024=527.34375
then *28(shortest month)/1024=14TB

so ya the cap is to low

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to JahsDisciple

Re: 50mbps

Well if not 50/10 why not 22/5+Powerboost

doughnet

join:2002-03-22
Newark, CA

When?

I wonder why they wait so long to get DOCSIS 3.0 setup in the Silicon Valley, California. Huge market area; no reason to neglect it.

swhitney2003
Premium
join:2003-06-13
NH

2 recommendations

reply to DarkLogix

How much total you can download is irrelevant to the types of things you do on the internet. Having 50mbps doesn't mean you can now download 14TB, it just means you can get your content faster. .1% of customers are 'affected' by this cap, meaning people with 50mbps probably wont be downloading any more than they would with 6mbps.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18
reply to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use room for more uncompressed HD not there over compressed hd that they have now.
Most people couldn't play uncompressed video even if it were available.
~247mbps? HDDs can't keep up!

Maybe you meant "Less Compressed" - sure! That would be nice.
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

Extreme 50

$140 a month riiiiiight! not gonna happen

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to swhitney2003

well thats just lame you pay more and get only responsiveness

how about this you can put gas in your car and pay taxes and you may only drive 200miles a month

oh well they'll learn someday how truely lame the CAPs are

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

reply to swhitney2003
said by swhitney2003:

How much total you can download is irrelevant to the types of things you do on the internet. Having 50mbps doesn't mean you can now download 14TB, it just means you can get your content faster. .1% of customers are 'affected' by this cap, meaning people with 50mbps probably wont be downloading any more than they would with 6mbps.
Some people think they are buying a OC line for $50-$60(or $130) per month.

They forget all too quickly(or don't understand) what residential means.

I have gone from 1.5mbps to 16mbps and still consume ~30GB per month... my downloads just finish WAY faster.
--

swhitney2003
Premium
NH

1 recommendation

reply to DarkLogix
Your analogy makes no sense. Does not relate to this at all. Having a ferrari and an aveo is a better comparison. You can get to work a lot faster (neglecting speed limits) in the ferrari, but you still travel the same distance to and from work every day. Your MILAGE (gigabytes) remains the same, but speed changed.

And I'm sure they are really worried about these truly lame caps. They take off the heavy hitters of the subscriber base, make more money off them, and the overall crowd is actually unaffected. Yea, they are in a horrible position with them. Considering almost every other provider has caps, Comcast has been one of the most generous in terms of available bandwidth.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

well thats just lame you pay more and get only responsiveness

how about this you can put gas in your car and pay taxes and you may only drive 200miles a month

oh well they'll learn someday how truely lame the CAPs are
That would be similar to metered billing.
Use as much as you want and pay accordingly.
Drive til you drop if you will...

I welcome something like this - my bill would probably be less than $10 per month!
--

Titus
Mr Gradenko

join:2004-06-26
Reviews:
·Embarq Now Centu..
reply to not quite right

Re: Extreme 50

said by not quite right:

$140 a month riiiiiight! not gonna happen
Look at this way: you've got your haves and your have_a_lot_mores
--

swhitney2003
Premium
NH

1 recommendation

reply to dadkins

said by dadkins:

I welcome something like this - my bill would probably be less than $10 per month!
One can only hope that becomes the case. The majority of households probably use about the same as you (30GB). I would think Comcast would price accordingly so that they made the same or more off of customers if a change happened. Also a flat rate of $10 is probably going to be charged just for a connection, then on top of the the throughput used. We can dream, right? If this model ever came around I would surely cut back drastically on my downloading.

stupid

@comcast.net

1 recommendation

Does It Matter?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this won't help anyone but BitTorrent users. If I'm trying to download a movie from iTunes or three 100MB Illustrator files from a designer's server, I'm going to be severely limited by the speed on THEIR end anyway, making my 50Mbps connection 40Mbps of overkill. Right?

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

Michigan

Come to michigan, please!?!?!?!?!

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA
reply to dadkins

Some companies think that internet content is designed for modems. They forget all to quickly (or don't understand) what progress means.

SLD
Premium
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA
reply to doughnet

Re: When?

Except that there will be more power-users per capita, thus costing them much more.

Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium
join:2004-04-25
Bloomington, IL

Psst over here...

Is Bloomington considered part of Chicago yet? If not then hurry up with it already!

........please.

swhitney2003
Premium
NH
reply to SLD

Re: When?

Then they should install/upgrade hardware as they need to to support the demand.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

3 recommendations

Responses so far...

Let me see if I can summarize most of the responses so far... Comcast doubles the speed of your connection for the same price that you are paying today, and they still suck exactly the same? Really?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
reply to SLD

said by SLD:

Some companies think that internet content is designed for modems. They forget all to quickly (or don't understand) what progress means.
Explain the point you are trying to make please...
Thanks!
--

Pv8man

join:2008-07-24
Hammond, IN

Caps???

What about people who get ALL of their games, game demos and free mods from places like Steam and Direct2drive.

Game demos can reach as high as 2-3 GB these days.
while full games can be anywhere from 5-8 GB, and only growing larger the more advanced games get.

and there are so many large free mod games on steam to download, I don't think I can download them all.

Next up on Con-cast's list..."These game makers cant ride on our pipes for free, they are making money through our service and bandwidth"

Pv8man

join:2008-07-24
Hammond, IN
/ Oh no, that's AT&T and google, i'm confused with.

NOVA_Guy
ObamaCare Kills Americans
Premium
join:2002-03-05

1 recommendation

reply to AVonGauss

Re: Responses so far...

said by AVonGauss:

Let me see if I can summarize most of the responses so far... Comcast doubles the speed of your connection for the same price that you are paying today, and they still suck exactly the same? Really?
I guess this can go down as one of those 'let no good deed go unpunished' types of things?

Some people are never satisfied, no matter what happens for them...

I'd like to get the 50mb downstream service when it comes to Northern Virginia, but will likely just stay with the 16mb downstream service that I have with them now... Relatively speaking, I'm happy with the speed and the stability hasn't been a major issue as yet.

Hopefully I can get them to do a little better on price, but I guess that was yesterday's Comcast discussion...
--
Save us, oh Great Obamasiah. Peggy Joseph and I both pray that You come to pay our mortgage and fill our cars with gas. (Premium please!)