dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-12-11 11:42:50: Comcast this morning stated that the nation's soon to be largest broadband operator would be deploying their new "Extreme 50" 50Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 tier in parts of Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, and Fort Wayne, Indiana. ..

prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next
Chaldo
join:2008-03-18
West Bloomfield, MI

Chaldo to jmn1207

to jmn1207

Re: Speed does NOT AFFECT CAPS!!!

use 250 gigs then come back to me and then ill say your one crazy internet user, get a t3 line.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by Chaldo:

use 250 gigs then come back to me and then ill say your one crazy internet user, get a t3 line.
Doesn't take long with a 50/20 connection. T3's hinder my downloads.
Quento21
join:2007-09-28
Laurel, MT

Quento21

Montana?

I wish Bresnan would upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0....The only other option here is Qwest, Fixed-Wireless from some local provider, or there is i think one FTTP isp which is Lightnex and they offer 15mbps but then again they only serve Bozeman/Belgrade area.

technick
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
Wheat Ridge, CO

technick to cracker 52

Premium Member

to cracker 52

Re: Atlanta is still waiting...

I think I have a faster upload, according to the atlanta comcast speedtest I have 7.043/4.373 Mbps
ViRGE
join:2002-10-25

ViRGE to jslik

to jslik

Re: Seattle, Portland, Spokane, and Eugene -- not so fast

said by jslik:

I second that...I was told on or about December 18th for the Seattle area...
Comcast has been rolling an advertising campaign in the Portland area offering special deals until the 19th; my assumption is that it's closely related to when the switch gets flipped.

At least where I am around Portland, we had a 6 hour outage early Monday morning that was followed by my modem being allocated to a new frequency and IP address. Clearly they just replaced some head-end gear (at the local node or what, I'm not sure) so it doesn't seem that they're quite done.

badtrip
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20

badtrip to Aozora

Premium Member

to Aozora

Re: what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use

I don't get why ppl would get fast internet to check email and light browsing, but they do, and that's exactly why I think a median usage data point is called for.

AnonMe
@verizon.net

AnonMe

Anon

250 GB Cap makes faster speed less relevant

Faster speeds are less about benefiting the subscriber and more about marketing. What is the point of having ungodly downstream speeds when you reach your limit within a couple days. Most servers dont allow you download that fast anyway. 250GB may be a lot of data by today's standards but looking forward it could be considered minuscule. Up until the late 90's 1.4MB floppies were dominant. Now usb flash drives up to 64GB are available. I do not believe comcast has intentions of keeping caps up to pace with the rapid improvement in technology and digital distribution trends.
alfnoid
MVM
join:2002-02-18

alfnoid to technick

MVM

to technick

Re: Atlanta is still waiting...

What is the URL for that test??

AnonMe
@verizon.net

AnonMe to dadkins

Anon

to dadkins

What business is it of yours to ask what somebody else does with their service they pay for? Do you ask a car owner what business it is of theirs to be driving over 100K miles a year? As long as they pay taxes to upkeep the roads and they drive the speed limit its none of your business. Your attitude, "I dont do this so nobody else should either" is insulting. The bandwidth hog today could be the average user in a few years.

kataan
Premium Member
join:2003-04-22
Greenacres, WA

1 edit

kataan to rseiler

Premium Member

to rseiler

Re: Seattle, Portland, Spokane, and Eugene -- not so fast

You can add Spokane to the list. They have not done anything here yet, nor have I heard anything.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss to funchords

Premium Member

to funchords

Re: Responses so far...

3 Mbps service? That sounds suspiciously like a DSL tier level... Are you still using Comcast for Internet?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

Only 10mb up for the best tier

STILL not beating fios' 20/20 tier.
C'mon comcast, break out some true upload!
dvd536

dvd536 to Titus

Premium Member

to Titus

Re: Extreme 50

said by Titus:
said by not quite right:

$140 a month riiiiiight! not gonna happen
Look at this way: you've got your haves and your have_a_lot_mores
--
don't forget the havenots! this won't be going anywhere fios isn't.
centc408
join:2008-11-08
Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit

centc408

Well

I would have to give this a big fat NO!

Why?

CHSI always went out on me at least twice a week.

Verizon has never went out on me.

Oh yea I'm in Fort Wayne IN.

Edit: Prices are pathetic.
centc408

centc408 to AMDUSER

to AMDUSER

Re: good news, bad news

Fort Wayne, IN got FiOS for 1 reason. Our former mayor spent quite a while lobbying Verizon for it.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to AVonGauss

MVM

to AVonGauss

said by AVonGauss:

3 Mbps service? That sounds suspiciously like a DSL tier level... Are you still using Comcast for Internet?
Not for my personal business -- I haven't used it for that since July or August when it was pretty clear that Comcast's legal department had lost its marbles and decided to drag me through the mud (even though the EFF and AP and Max Planck Institute long ago confirmed everything I had been claiming).

I guess that makes me too smart to qualify for Illinois Governor, huh!
RL1138
join:2008-11-14
Wallingford, CT

RL1138

Too pricey for me but...

I suppose there will come a time sooner than later where the 50MPS will be standard and much more affordable.

Funny about the speed rating on the performance package which I have. I have reached download speeds 18-22MPS on a consistent basis and uploads of around 2-2.5MPS. The lowest I have ever seen is 13MPS but I'm usually well above that. I have never clocked a reading of only 6MPS. I realize that power boost plays some role in all of this. Overall I feel that I get a nice value at $42 a month. The extra 10 bucks is not worth it to me.
eco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

eco to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx

Re: good news, bad news

don't forget no caps...
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080 to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss

Re: one leap for docsis...

said by AVonGauss:

said by tmc8080:

What this means is consumers will choose the competitor in the area.. which will invariably be Verizon & AT&T. Comcast's huge investment in docsis 3 will be for nothing if they can't get consumers to subscribe.
Have you read about AT&T's new caps that they are now testing in two markets and plan to roll out nationally?
You can't look at the Texas, Ohio and California markets as test cases for what may or may not be tolerated in a market such as Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, etc. Comcast is largely in captive markets. If AT&T follows in Comcasts' shoes by putting total bandwidth data caps (in the same markets), there will be consequences in the form of anti-trust and subscriber class action lawsuits. Over the past copule of years, there were regulatory squabbles between the fcc/congress and both Comcast & AT&T over these policies.

If their overlapping footprint becomes less competitive with service that has ONLY data capped internet, there will be negative consequences for both companies. Over the long term, it's not in their best interest. This is one of the few industries in which consumers will draw a line in the sand when they are not treated fairly.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

well thats just lame you pay more and get only responsiveness
You hit the nail right on the head!!

Exactly why I'm still on Charters "slow" 5/512 plan. I get stuff fast enough, as my Charter connection is excellent. Can't see paying much over $40 a month for simply surfing the web. My life IS NOT in that much of a rush.

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather to QuakeFrag

Premium Member

to QuakeFrag
While the cap may only affect .1% of "normal" customers, the normal customers aren't going to be the ones ponying up $140/mo for 50Mb service.
nanoflower
join:2002-07-14

nanoflower to QuakeFrag

to QuakeFrag
But for what most of the people using the Internet do (web browsing/email/occasional picture/video watching) they won't see much difference between even 6Mbit and 50Mbit, especially with Powerboost. The higher bitrates are really only useful for people that need to transfer lots of data (even if for only short periods of time) like watching a movie, or downloading some big files. That's not your typical user if you believe what Comcast and the other ISPs say.
nanoflower

nanoflower to AVonGauss

to AVonGauss

Yes, but not for the reason you think. I rarely need a faster speed since anything I want to download comes down fast enough (even if might take a few minutes.) The things I don't like about Comcast (reliability/bandwidth limits) still exist under the new speed plans. While I don't cross the 250GB monthly barrier I can see it being an issue if I were to get into watching HD movies/TV shows in addition to my normal activities.
JamesDax
join:2001-02-24
Philadelphia, PA

JamesDax

Comcast home town screwed again...

No love for Philadelphia again.
CopperMux
join:2005-01-18

CopperMux to MSauk

to MSauk

Re: Geez

said by MSauk:

Some of you will never be happy. If your using 250GB a month your doing something illegal lol Give me a break.

I am on my computer 14 hours a day and I stay under or at 30GB a month.

I would LOVE to see those speeds here in Utah. Any idea when that might happen?
I wish you actually had a clue before you posted.

I have Comcast as well as DSL.

I upload/ download the following, all legal:

Video projects. Usually 2 or 3 times a week or 20 - 30 gigs each time. Average 300 GIG a month. And BEFORE you spew "get a business account", this is a hobby, not my job.

Video of the kids for the grandparents, various sizes a few times a month: 50 gig or so.

Plus additional misc: 100 gig

So, there goes your 250 out the window.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords to badtrip

MVM

to badtrip

said by badtrip:

I don't get why ppl would get fast internet to check email and light browsing, but they do,
These are the same people who buy dual-core 3 GHz systems and a top-of-the-line graphics card to play Windows Solitaire.
and that's exactly why I think a median usage data point is called for.
And then those numbers will be funny.

I'm all for capitalism, which we don't have here because every address is only served by 1 or 2 providers. To bring back capitalism, we ought to treat these "last-mile" delivery systems as streets. Own and maintain them publicly and let all the Comcasts, Time Warners, Coxs, Verizons hook up and offer competing connectivity, television, phone, or whatever subscription service over them.

If Target owned the city streets, none of the roads would go to Walmart. But since the public owns the streets, we have Target, Walmart, K-mart, shopping malls, centers, and etc..

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk to CopperMux

Premium Member

to CopperMux

Re: Geez

well get a business line than. 250GB is plenty enough for us individuals who don't run our business from home.

Obviously your hobby has turned into a business if your using that much bandwidth.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

4 edits

aaronwt to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins

said by dadkins:

said by Joe12345678:

what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use room for more uncompressed HD not there over compressed hd that they have now.
Most people couldn't play uncompressed video even if it were available.
~247mbps? HDDs can't keep up!

Maybe you meant "Less Compressed" - sure! That would be nice.
What kind of hard drives are you using? I can transfer data over my gigabit network at two to three times that speed going to a hard drive. 247mbs is no problem for a hard drive.
Even the hard drives I had in the early 2000's could easily handle that when I would transfer my HD shows to my storage PC back between 2001 to 2004 over my gigabit network.
aaronwt

aaronwt to nanoflower

Premium Member

to nanoflower
said by nanoflower:

But for what most of the people using the Internet do (web browsing/email/occasional picture/video watching) they won't see much difference between even 6Mbit and 50Mbit, especially with Powerboost. The higher bitrates are really only useful for people that need to transfer lots of data (even if for only short periods of time) like watching a movie, or downloading some big files. That's not your typical user if you believe what Comcast and the other ISPs say.
It's also beneficial to a family that has several users online concurrently or a person who has dozens of devices connected at the same time.

hurrburr
@comcast.net

hurrburr

Anon

Awesome!

Now I can hit the cap in 11 hours!
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · next