dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-12-11 11:42:50: Comcast this morning stated that the nation's soon to be largest broadband operator would be deploying their new "Extreme 50" 50Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 tier in parts of Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, and Fort Wayne, Indiana. ..

page: 1 · 2 · next
nasadude
join:2001-10-05
Rockville, MD

nasadude

good news, bad news

the good news is we finally get to see speeds they've had in Europe and Asia for a couple of years now.

the bad news is it cost 4x as much

must be our competitive market.
jammmin
join:2000-12-14
Upper Marlboro, MD

jammmin

Re: good news, bad news

I would never go back to Comcrap. Six years of spotty internet service that never got fixed.

Constant patch work by repair guys that never totally solved the issue.
Since I switched to Verizon FIOS a few months ago, consistently fast speeds and no downtime. Couldn’t be happier.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Why switch to ANYTHING from FiOS? Seriously, even with Comcast's new tech, FiOS is comparable or better for the same price, or just a little more. Plus they'll have 100 Mbps service soon. 30/5 for the price of 20/5, and 30/30 as the new symmetric tier? bring it on. Oh, and 15/2 being the new 10/2

DoodItsJoe1

Anon

said by iansltx:

30/5 for the price of 20/5, and 30/30 as the new symmetric tier? bring it on. Oh, and 15/2 being the new 10/2
Reference of this please??
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Pure speculation. no basis in fact.
eco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

eco to iansltx

Premium Member

to iansltx
don't forget no caps...

Titus
Mr Gradenko
join:2004-06-26

Titus to nasadude

to nasadude
said by nasadude:

the good news is we finally get to see speeds they've had in Europe and Asia for a couple of years now.
the bad news is it cost 4x as much
must be our competitive market.
Nothing to see here; it's only the 'invisible hand' in your pocket.
Wait till its little friend maneuvers for the 'reach-around'.
--

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

AMDUSER to nasadude

Premium Member

to nasadude
This could get intresting in Fort Wayne, Indiana... one of the only cities in the Midwest to get FiOS service.

I'm sure there the pricing will be rather competitive.
tjp375
join:2008-07-02
Akron, OH

tjp375

Seriously, I'm curious to why Fort Wayne gets all these services? What is there I'm not aware of? Anyways it sucks being in Ohio when Fios is available in Indiana and Pennsylvania, it would be nice if they connected the dots.
centc408
join:2008-11-08
Fort Wayne, IN

centc408 to AMDUSER

to AMDUSER
Fort Wayne, IN got FiOS for 1 reason. Our former mayor spent quite a while lobbying Verizon for it.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use

what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use room for more uncompressed HD not there over compressed hd that they have now.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Re: what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use

they need a bigger cap
at 50Mbit/sec you could use 250GB in one day
50/8(bit byte conversion)*60sec*60min*24hours/1024=527.34375
then *28(shortest month)/1024=14TB

so ya the cap is to low

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
join:2003-06-13
NH

2 recommendations

QuakeFrag

Premium Member

How much total you can download is irrelevant to the types of things you do on the internet. Having 50mbps doesn't mean you can now download 14TB, it just means you can get your content faster. .1% of customers are 'affected' by this cap, meaning people with 50mbps probably wont be downloading any more than they would with 6mbps.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

well thats just lame you pay more and get only responsiveness

how about this you can put gas in your car and pay taxes and you may only drive 200miles a month

oh well they'll learn someday how truely lame the CAPs are

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
NH

1 recommendation

QuakeFrag

Premium Member

Your analogy makes no sense. Does not relate to this at all. Having a ferrari and an aveo is a better comparison. You can get to work a lot faster (neglecting speed limits) in the ferrari, but you still travel the same distance to and from work every day. Your MILAGE (gigabytes) remains the same, but speed changed.

And I'm sure they are really worried about these truly lame caps. They take off the heavy hitters of the subscriber base, make more money off them, and the overall crowd is actually unaffected. Yea, they are in a horrible position with them. Considering almost every other provider has caps, Comcast has been one of the most generous in terms of available bandwidth.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

your not getting it

the cap is like the gov or who ever saying you may not drive more than X and if you do than bam

(ya they have a better cap than most but not as good as no cap)
if you follow the sheep and are ok with it then it'll go down hill you just say well thats ok thats fine then one day you open your eyes and say what happened

ya theyre not hurting yet but as D3 getts spread more and more the people that use over 250 will grow and grow

your seeing how it could affect you now not what this means could happen down the road

not really
@nsd2.com

not really to QuakeFrag

Anon

to QuakeFrag
This analogy is ridiculous as well.

If I have 1 hour to use the internet a day, of course the speed dictates how much content I can pull. In that 1 hour, with more bandwidth, I'm pulling more content.

Over the course of the month, I will have far more bandwidth used in the same amount of computer usage. Pretty simple. I can download multiple movies in the time I download 1 currently.

Assuming that people will use the same amount of bandwidth regardless of their throughput is quite a stretch... I by no means teeter on the brink of the cap, but you have to be kidding that you don't think someone would not just queue up more downloads at once or get more in the time they use their computer.

Who cares about their lame caps? There will be a market for power users that will be tapped into regardless of it being comcast or not. Their futile attempts to limit how much I use netflix over their own on-demand streaming doesn't matter much if/when I switch to some other service. Of course this assumes that I can find something as fast for as cheap and as much.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins to DarkLogix

MVM

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

how about this you can put gas in your car and pay taxes and you may only drive 200miles a month

oh well they'll learn someday how truely lame the CAPs are
That would be similar to metered billing.
Use as much as you want and pay accordingly.
Drive til you drop if you will...

I welcome something like this - my bill would probably be less than $10 per month!

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
NH

1 recommendation

QuakeFrag

Premium Member

said by dadkins:

I welcome something like this - my bill would probably be less than $10 per month!
One can only hope that becomes the case. The majority of households probably use about the same as you (30GB). I would think Comcast would price accordingly so that they made the same or more off of customers if a change happened. Also a flat rate of $10 is probably going to be charged just for a connection, then on top of the the throughput used. We can dream, right? If this model ever came around I would surely cut back drastically on my downloading.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

dadkins

MVM

Bring it! LOL!

From what Comcast has reported, 2-3GB per month is the average use.
This is an average of nearly 15million customers.
Some more, but not all that many - apparently!

250GB - I can't even think of anything I would want to download that would get me to *HALF* of that in a month!

Yeah, probably $10 for the connection and then per-GB would be their scheme.
Still... not only would my connection quality piss off people, I would be able to irk 'em with my monthly bill!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

it would (based on whats happened) be more like this
Speed tire price + Usage Price + Peak hours usage
so
you have your $50 for 16/2 + your $10 per 10gig + anothe $0 per Peak 10GB + non-3play service $30penalty + 20 for CDV

with peak hours not know to you
so 30GB/month
50+30+30+30+20
$160 just for a little 30GB you say you use
you really want that

the for 50/10
150+30+30+30+20+(extra channels used penalty)50
so 310

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

it would (based on whats happened) be more like this
Speed tire price + Usage Price + Peak hours usage
so
you have your $50 for 16/2 + your $10 per 10gig + anothe $0 per Peak 10GB + non-3play service $30penalty + 20 for CDV

with peak hours not know to you
so 30GB/month
50+30+30+30+20
$160 just for a little 30GB you say you use
you really want that

the for 50/10
150+30+30+30+20+(extra channels used penalty)50
so 310
WTF?
Dude, that makes absolutely no sense.

Apply that same math/logic to someone like yourself who says 250GB isn't enough...
Several thou per month?
Either way friend, my bill will be considerably lower than... yours!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

the issue isn't that yours would be lower but that you are one more just going with it and will end up helping them hit you with an insane bill one day

maybe not this year but someday

its like cows to the slaughter
one cow sees another killed (booted/high monthly cost) and thinks oh that won't happen to me then the next and next untill that cow is the one getting it

you see others getting booted and think oh you don't use enough for that to happen to me

but one day it or something worse does

oh its just the top 1%
but the people that were the top 1% last year were already booted and now the ones that would have been only the top 10% are now the top 1%

and I pay $120 a month so I don't have a cap even though I know I won't hit it

as my Up+down is only 20GB a month (well I'll need to check to be sure (thats just my computer) so when they release a bandwidth meter for my service I'll see)

badtrip
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20

badtrip to dadkins

Premium Member

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

I think the median will be a bit more telling than the mean for bandwidth usage. A few thousand folks who only check email and do light browsing can really push the mean down. On the flip side a few thousand folks DLing hundreds of gigs/mo can really inflate the mean as well.

Aozora
join:2008-11-28

Aozora

said by badtrip:

said by dadkins:

I think the median will be a bit more telling than the mean for bandwidth usage. A few thousand folks who only check email and do light browsing can really push the mean down. On the flip side a few thousand folks DLing hundreds of gigs/mo can really inflate the mean as well.
I don't get why anyone would get HSI or any real fast speed for just browsing and e-mail checking. DSL is by far a better deal for these people because you can get a decent 1.5Mbps/384Kbps for light browsing for $15 a month and it would be perfect. Makes no sense to even pay Comcast $43+ for the same purpose

I am a heavy user. I do streaming videos, HD, online gaming, and etc. I really do have a need for Comcasts 6/1Mbps plan or higher unlike others.

Broadband is superior to dial up for browsing and e-mail but you do not need anything more than DSL for that. CHEAP DSL at that.
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4

what about those people that live to far for DSL? and what happens to those customers after the price goes up after their first 6 months to a year? or they move and no longer can get DSL. BOOM their back to Comcast or another cable provider most likely.

But after you factor in the price of a landline phone or even the price of dryline DSL you are about the same price with Comcast especially after fees and taxes.

badtrip
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20

badtrip to Aozora

Premium Member

to Aozora
I don't get why ppl would get fast internet to check email and light browsing, but they do, and that's exactly why I think a median usage data point is called for.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by badtrip:

I don't get why ppl would get fast internet to check email and light browsing, but they do,
These are the same people who buy dual-core 3 GHz systems and a top-of-the-line graphics card to play Windows Solitaire.
and that's exactly why I think a median usage data point is called for.
And then those numbers will be funny.

I'm all for capitalism, which we don't have here because every address is only served by 1 or 2 providers. To bring back capitalism, we ought to treat these "last-mile" delivery systems as streets. Own and maintain them publicly and let all the Comcasts, Time Warners, Coxs, Verizons hook up and offer competing connectivity, television, phone, or whatever subscription service over them.

If Target owned the city streets, none of the roads would go to Walmart. But since the public owns the streets, we have Target, Walmart, K-mart, shopping malls, centers, and etc..
funchords

funchords to dadkins

MVM

to dadkins
said by dadkins:

They also said stuff like

"...only during periods of congestion..."
and "...we don't throttle any applications..."
and "...nobody has demonstrated otherwise..."
said by dadkins:

250GB - I can't even think of anything I would want to download that would get me to *HALF* of that in a month!
Me neither, that's the fun of it.... or it would have been.

If they were really as good as FIOS, they wouldn't need the caps or the 15-minute penalty boxes.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958 to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

You hit the nail right on the head!!

Exactly why I'm still on Charters "slow" 5/512 plan. I get stuff fast enough, as my Charter connection is excellent. Can't see paying much over $40 a month for simply surfing the web. My life IS NOT in that much of a rush.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

dadkins to QuakeFrag

MVM

to QuakeFrag
said by QuakeFrag:

How much total you can download is irrelevant to the types of things you do on the internet. Having 50mbps doesn't mean you can now download 14TB, it just means you can get your content faster. .1% of customers are 'affected' by this cap, meaning people with 50mbps probably wont be downloading any more than they would with 6mbps.
Some people think they are buying a OC line for $50-$60(or $130) per month.

They forget all too quickly(or don't understand) what residential means.

I have gone from 1.5mbps to 16mbps and still consume ~30GB per month... my downloads just finish WAY faster.

•••••••

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

2 recommendations

FFH5 to QuakeFrag

Premium Member

to QuakeFrag
said by QuakeFrag:

But it is that .1% that is the most vocal and whining. They want the caps raised so that they can download 1000 hours a month of HD video(that they will never watch) or so that they can act as a P2P server to "show the man" how much they hate businesses.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

You forget about the ones that see what this means in the future

and see the anti-competitiveness
(my options are cable 16/2 or dsl 3/768)

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

You forget about the ones that see what this means in the future

and see the anti-competitiveness
(my options are cable 16/2 or dsl 3/768)
Future, as later on in life.
Not here yet.
Wait for it.
We'll see what happens when that time comes.

BTW, my options(best case) is AT&T DSL @ 6/768 but I'm a wee bit farther away than ideal - or, Comcast at 16/2.

Hmmm... guess which one I have.
I want speed. Period.
Not limitless volume, I want my files here as fast as possible.

YMMV

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to QuakeFrag

Premium Member

to QuakeFrag
said by QuakeFrag:

Sorry, but do you work for Comcast? As that's exactly what they say.

This is Comcast's plan to make more $$$ by charging people for going over the cap... offering faster speeds = people will be more likely to "break the rules". Cha-ching.
Corydon
Cultivant son jardin
Premium Member
join:2008-02-18
Denver, CO

Corydon

Premium Member

It's my understanding that Comcast doesn't charge you extra if you go over the cap. Rather, they warn you about your usage (and give you a bright line to get under...250 GB) and if you keep on going over the limit, they cut you off.

It really does seem to be a network management thing for them, not a money-making thing.

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
NH

QuakeFrag to Homunculus

Premium Member

to Homunculus
No I don't work for them, I just know their POV on the situation. Of course they will take advantage of those who are willing to just go on a frenzy with their connection.

Dogfather
Premium Member
join:2007-12-26
Laguna Hills, CA

Dogfather to QuakeFrag

Premium Member

to QuakeFrag
While the cap may only affect .1% of "normal" customers, the normal customers aren't going to be the ones ponying up $140/mo for 50Mb service.
nanoflower
join:2002-07-14

nanoflower to QuakeFrag

to QuakeFrag
But for what most of the people using the Internet do (web browsing/email/occasional picture/video watching) they won't see much difference between even 6Mbit and 50Mbit, especially with Powerboost. The higher bitrates are really only useful for people that need to transfer lots of data (even if for only short periods of time) like watching a movie, or downloading some big files. That's not your typical user if you believe what Comcast and the other ISPs say.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by nanoflower:

But for what most of the people using the Internet do (web browsing/email/occasional picture/video watching) they won't see much difference between even 6Mbit and 50Mbit, especially with Powerboost. The higher bitrates are really only useful for people that need to transfer lots of data (even if for only short periods of time) like watching a movie, or downloading some big files. That's not your typical user if you believe what Comcast and the other ISPs say.
It's also beneficial to a family that has several users online concurrently or a person who has dozens of devices connected at the same time.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
Hercules, CA

dadkins to Joe12345678

MVM

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

what is the point of 50Mbps with a 250gb cap they should use room for more uncompressed HD not there over compressed hd that they have now.
Most people couldn't play uncompressed video even if it were available.
~247mbps? HDDs can't keep up!

Maybe you meant "Less Compressed" - sure! That would be nice.

•••

burgerwars
join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA

burgerwars

50mbps

Until I win the lottery, there's no way I can justify spending $139.95 a month for 50mbps.

••••••

alexandriaWhen

Anon

When will Northern Virginia

Does anyone know when the new speed be available in Northern Virginia, ALexandria area?
doughnet
join:2002-03-22
Newark, CA

doughnet

When?

I wonder why they wait so long to get DOCSIS 3.0 setup in the Silicon Valley, California. Huge market area; no reason to neglect it.

SLD
Premium Member
join:2002-04-17
San Francisco, CA

SLD

Premium Member

Re: When?

Except that there will be more power-users per capita, thus costing them much more.

QuakeFrag
Premium Member
NH

QuakeFrag

Premium Member

Re: When?

Then they should install/upgrade hardware as they need to to support the demand.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

Extreme 50

$140 a month riiiiiight! not gonna happen

•••

stupid
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

stupid

Anon

Does It Matter?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like this won't help anyone but BitTorrent users. If I'm trying to download a movie from iTunes or three 100MB Illustrator files from a designer's server, I'm going to be severely limited by the speed on THEIR end anyway, making my 50Mbps connection 40Mbps of overkill. Right?
gateguy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-12
Reisterstown, MD

gateguy

Premium Member

Re: Does It Matter?

Downloading my weekly TV shows from iTunes takes about 3 minutes on my 20/20 FIOS connections. I do not think that iTunes has a bandwidth problem during the times I download

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium Member
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI

baineschile

Premium Member

Michigan

Come to michigan, please!?!?!?!?!

Sith HMP
I Did What?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-25
Bloomington, IL

Sith HMP

Premium Member

Psst over here...

Is Bloomington considered part of Chicago yet? If not then hurry up with it already!

........please.

Aozora
join:2008-11-28

Aozora

Re: Psst over here...

said by Sith HMP:

Is Bloomington considered part of Chicago yet? If not then hurry up with it already!

........please.
Chicago for Comcast is literally CHICAGO, IL.

If your address does not say Chicago, IL 60xxx then you are not getting it right away with Chicago, although you will get it shortly after the Chicago market. Just have to do a little more waiting like you have been doing.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

3 recommendations

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Responses so far...

Let me see if I can summarize most of the responses so far... Comcast doubles the speed of your connection for the same price that you are paying today, and they still suck exactly the same? Really?

•••••••
Pv8man
join:2008-07-24
Hammond, IN

Pv8man

Caps???

What about people who get ALL of their games, game demos and free mods from places like Steam and Direct2drive.

Game demos can reach as high as 2-3 GB these days.
while full games can be anywhere from 5-8 GB, and only growing larger the more advanced games get.

and there are so many large free mod games on steam to download, I don't think I can download them all.

Next up on Con-cast's list..."These game makers cant ride on our pipes for free, they are making money through our service and bandwidth"
Pv8man

Pv8man

Re: Caps???

/ Oh no, that's AT&T and google, i'm confused with.

technick
Premium Member
join:2000-12-16
Wheat Ridge, CO

technick

Premium Member

Atlanta is still waiting...

I'm still patiently waiting for this in Atlanta =\

••••
Weatherman
join:2004-12-04
Bel Air, MD

Weatherman

NO reason to upgrade - if anything, good time to downgrade!

Why would anyone want to upgrade to the new higher speed tiers? Unless you just like to waste money. They are all capped the same - there is no point.

I would rather convert over to the business tier at a slower speed and have no caps.

Here we are getting excited about 50 megs when China has had 100 meg to most areas for years - and much cheaper!

It's crapcastic!!
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Re: NO reason to upgrade - if anything, good time to downgrade!

said by Weatherman:

Here we are getting excited about 50 megs when China has had 100 meg to most areas for years - and much cheaper!
I don't suppose you have a link or reference for that claim?

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

Geez

Some of you will never be happy. If your using 250GB a month your doing something illegal lol Give me a break.

I am on my computer 14 hours a day and I stay under or at 30GB a month.

I would LOVE to see those speeds here in Utah. Any idea when that might happen?

••••

Scatcatpdx
Fur It Up
join:2007-06-22
Portland, OR

Scatcatpdx

Whats the Rub

As for higher speed overseas, how much of the growth is due to taxpayer subsidies? I feel the taxpayer are not in the mood to subsidize auto executives and download junkies.

I am on the performance plus, (free upgrade for thee months) I problem downgrade when the new speed kick in on the 22th. (ps I need to cal Comcast for digital voice)

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 recommendation

jmn1207

Premium Member

Good Upload Speeds

It's nice to finally see an option for faster uploads. With a couple of Slingbox Pro-HD's you really need more than 2Mbps. 5Mbps should suffice, but only if the speeds are very stable, and then there is the issue with the caps if you try and stream too often.

My $95 FiOS service is very nice for uploading high quality video. I assume that Comcast will have to lower prices for the 50/10 service where FiOS is available if they want to compete. So, I would not expect the Comcast "Extreme 50" tier to cost $140 in all regions.

CUBS_FAN
2016 World Series Champs
join:2005-04-28
Chicago, IL

CUBS_FAN

Chicagoland

Let's hope everything goes to plan so we can get ours in March
joeMI
join:2006-08-15
Mcmillan, MI

joeMI

the caps

i think ISP's are bracing for the day that *most* americans get their HD TV and movies through an internet connection.

and to have several HD feeds running simultaneously (without loss of quality), will take a lot of bandwidth that has to be delivered NOW! as different household members are watching different prime time shows, movies, etc.

that's why we will need 20, 30 and 50 Mbps connections. not for continuous downloading but for prime time when everyone wants to watch something NOW!

imo, they want us trained on paying to exceed caps and/or metered billing. that is the future, the way i see it.
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

one leap for docsis...

One huge leap for docsis 3.0 {vendors, cmts resellers}
Two giant steps backwards:

Low data caps and high price for subscriber kind!

What this means is consumers will choose the competitor in the area.. which will invariably be Verizon & AT&T. Comcast's huge investment in docsis 3 will be for nothing if they can't get consumers to subscribe. $140 is quite alot of money for service that seems crippled, not symmetric, & according to some reports still applies to the 250gb data cap / month (someone please correct if that's not the case). The whole point of having docsis 3 was to bond upstream as well as downstream channels.. while that's probably being done on the downstream to get the extra 8mbits needed... the upstream is well within specifications of docsis 1.1 let alone 3.0 (10mbit).

*** Comcast will eventually have to do away with the data cap, it's just a matter of time & mounting subscriber lo$$
AVonGauss
Premium Member
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

Re: one leap for docsis...

said by tmc8080:

What this means is consumers will choose the competitor in the area.. which will invariably be Verizon & AT&T. Comcast's huge investment in docsis 3 will be for nothing if they can't get consumers to subscribe.
Have you read about AT&T's new caps that they are now testing in two markets and plan to roll out nationally?
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

tmc8080

Re: one leap for docsis...

said by AVonGauss:

said by tmc8080:

What this means is consumers will choose the competitor in the area.. which will invariably be Verizon & AT&T. Comcast's huge investment in docsis 3 will be for nothing if they can't get consumers to subscribe.
Have you read about AT&T's new caps that they are now testing in two markets and plan to roll out nationally?
You can't look at the Texas, Ohio and California markets as test cases for what may or may not be tolerated in a market such as Florida, New York, Pennsylvania, etc. Comcast is largely in captive markets. If AT&T follows in Comcasts' shoes by putting total bandwidth data caps (in the same markets), there will be consequences in the form of anti-trust and subscriber class action lawsuits. Over the past copule of years, there were regulatory squabbles between the fcc/congress and both Comcast & AT&T over these policies.

If their overlapping footprint becomes less competitive with service that has ONLY data capped internet, there will be negative consequences for both companies. Over the long term, it's not in their best interest. This is one of the few industries in which consumers will draw a line in the sand when they are not treated fairly.
rseiler
join:2001-11-01

rseiler

Seattle, Portland, Spokane, and Eugene -- not so fast

November didn't see "launches in Seattle, Portland, Spokane, and Eugene," it saw the announcement of December launches (which have yet to happen) in at least the first two cities.

•••
page: 1 · 2 · next