spacer

spacer

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

view:
topics flat nest 
Comments on news posted 2008-12-22 18:07:38: We've been tracking the deployment of municipally-owned fiber in Lafayette, Louisiana for years, the project being particularly notable for some of the sleazy efforts made by Comcast and AT&T (then SBC) to kill it. ..

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 recommendations

Cox can kill them at birth

Seeing as how most people hate to switch providers(some BBR users notwithstanding), Cox can offer lock in discounts of 20% for multi-year deals and kill the new system from the get go.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

good luck to the citizens of Lafayette.

congrats to Lafayette for holding their ground and getting this project online.
--
I have come to realize that God doesn't want to hear from me anymore.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to FFH

Re: Cox can kill them at birth

Not to mention that they can't get the same volume discount that the Cable or Telco can get on video service. They won't have the cash reserves to sustain an extended price war. If there are any local small providers or wisps they will be run out of business from the upcoming price war. 5 years from now the Cable and Telco will still be there and prices will level out between the three if the Muni owned network survives.

johncca

@bellsouth.net

Facts, please

If you'd really been tracking this project you would know that Comcast doesn't server Lafayette, Cox does. You'd also know that AT&T in Lafayette was formerly BellSouth, not SBC.

landry98

join:2001-08-31
Red Stick

LUS and the incumbents

LUS is all about the people who live and work in Lafayette. LUS has successfully satisfied the community's energy needs for years at a level that relates to community not stockholders. The mayor, council, citizens and businesses are behind this project and are optimistic it will work. My view is COX and ATT don't plan on trying to compete rather they will wait and see. The only obstacle may be content.

Carl
Premium
join:2004-07-21
Opelousas, LA

I wish...

I wish I lived in Lafayette.
Seriously, I do.
I don't live all too far from there, though.
This is a good thing for Lafayette.
I've experienced both Cox and AT&T in Lafayette.
Maybe it was just the area I was in (W. Bayou Parkway) but DSL and cable were both pathetic in terms of reliability.

-CRS-
--
MySpace
Facebook: iCarl@att.net

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Seeing as how most people hate to switch providers(some BBR users notwithstanding), Cox can offer lock in discounts of 20% for multi-year deals and kill the new system from the get go.
Cox need not worry as they even offer 10mbps in their "havenot" areas
why cripple fibre at 10mbps is beyond me.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to landry98

Re: LUS and the incumbents

I wonder how well any of these power companies that are jumping into the broadband business would react to another company jumping into the power business. If anyone is an expert on monopolies it would be a power company.

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

The difference is that the power companies are regulated by the PUC (public utilities commission) usually at the state level. So there is some (not nearly enough) local input. A prime example of this was in IL a couple of years ago. The power company raised the rates too much(in one jump) for people to stand. The people rebelled and the PUC made the power companies cut the rates and repay some of the customers. The broadband is Federally controlled and it is extremely difficult for the people to heard at that level. To the best of my knowledge the FCC cannot tell any ISP how much they can charge.

Lazlow

join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO
reply to FFH

Isn't that how they did it in Utah(?)? Dropped the rates below anywhere else in the country until they put them out of business.

D8mian

@chevron.com

Cox Customer

I live in Laf and I am a Cox cuxtomer too. All is good with Cox, unless you move to another address and ask that your service be moved too. That's when the problems occur. Other than that, the cable internet is top notch. No complaints with the speed. I too am glad Laf residents stood their ground and didnt let the politics rule the broadband fiber venture.

D

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3
reply to Carl

Re: I wish...

One thing to keep in mind. In louisiana, it is against the law to offer a special deal in one area, and not the rest of the areas covered by that company.

Daarken
Rara Avises
Premium
join:2005-01-12
Southwest LA
kudos:3

Also to add..
I heard that the service might be symetrical.
And the speeds are
10/20/50

--
www.pointofexistence.com

Big Dawg 23

join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Other Cities will watch this

I live in Northfield, MN and they are looking to install a Fiber Network as well. They have received a large grant to from Bland Foundation to do a feasibility study. Shortly after the meeting November 6th I received a call and was asked to take a survey. In the survey they are looking at maybe doing all services(internet, phone and tv).

Currently Qwest and Charter service the area. Qwest only offers 1.5MB and Charter offers 16MB. They said in the survey the plan is to start at 50MB and want to know if it was 20% cheaper would I switch. If they were to deploy fiber and at the same cost as Charter I would move for speed alone. Charter has been great for my Internet needs with little to no down time and always getting my speeds. Yes this is far different for a lot other areas Charter services.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to FFH

they kill it but they do so without release DOSCSIS3 and then tell the people of the city that the area isnt worth next gen deployment. so the telco and cable co get their wish for what the purchased judges in the court wouldnt do for them while not having to spend real upgrade dollars.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

fiber_man
Things Happen For A Reason
Premium
join:2001-01-27
Port Saint Lucie, FL

connection to the web??

Wonder who they use to connect to the rest of the world?? AT&T, Cox,Comcast,etc.. Just a guess but providing a service to the city is one thing but they still have to pay someone to get to the rest of the world!
--
GO NOLES!!

flycuban

join:2005-04-25
Homestead, FL

That doesn't mean anything. Most of the muni use other large carriers like Level3, Internap, Sprint, etc.. Comcast isn't a backhaul provider to ISP's. They (Comcast) use Level 3 for most of their link to the Internet. And even they would use at&t or qwest as there back haul link, they woudn't be making nearly as much money in just having a 0C-3 or larger pipe.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

Opportunity...

Once the city has the local broadcast networks onboard, they could build an on-demand video library that rivals anything cable has to offer... after a certain point, you just don't really need cable... much of cable's content is online in one form or another. Just keep intenet access cheaper and more robust than anything cable or telco has to offer for le$$ and you beat them at their own game. choosing not to resell cable-tv or resell at an economic disadvantage to try and kill the muni service will not work. The tipping point for the internet kiling cable-tv subscriptions as we know it is upon us in 2009...