rgillis70
Premium Member
join:2002-12-30
Washington, DC

1 edit

rgillis70

Premium Member

[W2K] Cryptographic Service Corruption Issue

Ok here is a bad one that I am not sure of.

Worked at a client's site on a machine that was having some weird issues. Eliminated all except Windows Updates failing to install.

The machine is running w2k Pro.

Looking at the log file on the patches - it says the issue is because the cryptographic service is not running. Followed the steps in MS 822798 - to no avail.

The hidden folder (catroot2) is not even in existence on the machine. And the service is not found when I attempt to net start it.

The main reason the service will not start is that when I attempt to re-register the dll files needed for the service - the sccbase.dll file is non existent.
I saw articles such as this: »www.tek-tips.com/gviewth ··· d/631264 that discuss repairing cryptographic service corruption issues - but it is all on Windows XP.

Is there a way to repair these files (ala sfc /scannow in XP)?

Can I simply copy the missing dll from the W2k disk?

Just trying to get this service started so that windows update will run properly.

Edit:

According to this: »groups.google.as/groups? ··· m%3D9AFC D897-40F7-437A-8A18-0743CEB69EA4%2540microsoft.com%26rnum%3D1
The file does not exist in Windows 2000? So how do you get the Cryptographic Service back on a w2k machine? Do a repair of the OS?

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba

MVM

said by rgillis70:
the issue is because the cryptographic service is not running. Followed the steps in MS 822798 - to no avail.
Just to verify....especially the part about Set Cryptographic Services to Automatic ?
rgillis70
Premium Member
Washington, DC

rgillis70

Premium Member

Yeah - the issue is - you can't do that W2k. It isn't listed as a service.

When I try Net start - says it isn't installed?

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to rgillis70

MVM

to rgillis70
Win2K....looked right over that, sorry....reckon I need to check my bifocals

How is this machine on service packs....SP4 updated ?
rgillis70
Premium Member
Washington, DC

1 edit

rgillis70

Premium Member

Yeah. SP4. It looks like the problem started back in Sept. (based on the WU site results of previous installs). Amazingly - the auto update feature only downloaded the most recent (5) updates last week and they installed ok.

It had a bunch of crap on it though. He had (for what reason?) installed WildTangent ON PURPOSE! Had 209 items found by AdAware. Another 16 by S&D. No virus' that I could find - but doesn't mean they were not there before.

21,000 temp IE files.

I found an article on WU Troubleshooter that discussed possibly re-installing WU by removing the dll files that it loads.

I will try that later today - but I really don't think that will help the issue. Because the service just doesn't exist yet. And I don't have a dll to copy.

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy to rgillis70

Mod

to rgillis70
The Cryptographic Services, and Catroot2 sections of MS KB article 822798, I believe, are not relevant to W2K, as they do not exist on W2K. The "sccbase.dll" may not exist either on W2K.

However, the following MS KB article may apply:

Error Message When You Install a Windows 2000 Service Pack or Product Update

What were the exact errors in the Windows Update log (%windir%\windows update.log)?
rgillis70
Premium Member
Washington, DC

rgillis70

Premium Member

I will have to look on Monday. Don't have access to that client's site till then.

Thanks for the help.

interestingly - sccbase.dll did not show up the first time I began re-registering the dll's. But in the article you register it twice. Second time it worked. Now it works both times. let me check the link out as well

Be in touch auggy

Matt W
@clnt3401.mi.comcast.

Matt W

Anon

I have the same problem, just that it applies to SP4. I had a trojan on the machine, and I am trying to recover from it. I do not have access to safe mode or using a repair install. I only have terminal svcs access to the server. Is there anything I can do to get SP4 to install?

assbinator
@66.50.x.x

assbinator to rgillis70

Anon

to rgillis70
well i have windows me and messenger 6.2 and it says the 0x81000370 error when i tried to log in then when i try to get to windows update site it told me that i have another error i tried to the askmarvin solution ( »www.askmarvin.ca/forums/ ··· opic=664 ) but it does not work, let me explain what i get, when i tried to re-register the dll's i got an error with some of the dlls (gpkcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, slbcsp.dll) and its says: "LoadLibrary("") failed.

GetLastError returns 0x00000485

then when i search for the dlls in the windows search i couldnt find these dlls, so i say: "What the heck, lets put this computer back to the factory settings", and i put the recovery disk of this computer and restore the computer back to the factory settings, deleting all i have done since!!!, hoping that the problem would go away, but, WHEN I DOWNLOAD MESSENGER, AND TRY TO CONNECT, IT SAY THE SAME PROBLEM (0x000370 ERROR), i just know that is a computer problem not a msn one cause i could not enter to any site that ask for certification, i even try to delete from the regedit the msnmessenger value but still doesnt work!!!

p.s. I EVEN DOWNLOAD THE ERROR DLLS BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE TO PUT IT ITS IN MY DESKSTOP RIGHT NOW, MAYBE THEY WERE DELETED, WHO KNOWS?, BUT I JUST HAVE IT ALL THE DLLS, SO IF YOU PLEASE TELL ME TE LOCATION OF THE DLLS SO I CAN JUST CUT AND PASTE IT TO THAT LOCATION IT MIGHT WORK....

i just ask you guys one thing, HOW THE HECK A WORM, OR A VIRUS OR WHATEVER SURVIVED A REBOOT TO FACTORY SETTINGS??!!!! I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED BUT PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!!! I TRIED EVERYTHING (AND REMEMBER THAT I COULD NOT LOG TO ANY MESSENGER ACOUNT NOR WINDOWS UPDATE SITE)

auggy
Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON

auggy

Mod

The files gpkcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, and slbcsp.dll, I believe, do not exist in WinME.

What error are you getting at Windows Update site?

Any errors showing up in the Windows Update log?

Copy and paste this into your IE address bar, and hit "Enter":

%systemroot%/windows update.log

Look for any entries with errors. The error codes may give a clue what's wrong.