uniqs

hope this works
@range81-155.btcentra

hope this works to eratrya

Anon

to eratrya

Re: [Networking/Sharing] F5D7630-4A connection to router keeps d

I've had this same old problem.

My situation sounds slightly different to that experienced by others here but mine now appears to be working.

My setup...
Router - Belkin F5D7630-4A with firmware update beldsl_fw-v_a_1_04_03uk.bin
PCI card - Belkin F5D7000 with driver file F5D7000-V2.4.5UK.exe
USB Adapter - Buffalo WLI-USB-G54 with driver version 3.94

My router would crash and not allow me to connect unless I reset it. This would only happen when I was transferring large files accross my network (only 2PC's). Internet was always OK and would download like the clappers using p2p apps but wireless link would always fall over when files were swapped between PC's.

Tried various things mentioned on this forum but the one that worked for me was that advised by R Ali above which was to 'Stop DHCP and manually assign IP address to each of the computers.'

Now, the link is always at about 48 / 54 Mbps now that DHCP is off. previously, with DHCP switched on, I was getting about 24 Mbps or less. Sounds to me like there is a problem with DHCP on this router

I was speaking with Belkin and they said that the firmware for this router was not available on their website at the moment as there were some bugs in it (really!!!) - but they say that they are working on it and a new firmware update will be available shortly. :lol:

Mikevl
@mentorg.com

Mikevl to eratrya

Anon

to eratrya
had Belkin on the phone earlier, and they confirmed to be working on a new firmware release for the F5D7630 which is to be released before the end of next week..

Not sure if i'm going to roll back from the SMC fw which is going just fine for me!!

Hugo Nebula
@195.188.x.x

Hugo Nebula to eratrya

Anon

to eratrya
Well, I got rid of my Belkin router/modem as no matter what I did it kept resetting itself. I replaced it twice, but they all exhibited the same fault. I was able to use it as a router only to share my USB modem connection between my PC and my laptop, and in this mode it was stable. Nevertheless, I changed it for a 3Com 'box'.

Guess what? This 3Com router is now resetting itself several times a day! This leads me to believe that the problem isn't with the router but maybe with my ISP (Pipex in the UK) or phone connection; although I don't know why any problem here would cause the router to reset, and why it's not happening with a separate modem.
kickss
join:2003-02-05
au

kickss to Mikevl

to Mikevl
Mikevl: What firmware are u using from SMC?

Kickss

yidahoo
@bulldogdsl.com

yidahoo

Anon

Its the 0.71 driver for the Barracade

Mikevl
@mentorg.com

Mikevl to kickss

Anon

to kickss
Kickss,

It's the 0.71, available at »www.smc-europe.com/engli ··· BRA.html

Alternatively, you can also try the 3Com version (Officeconnect) from »www.3com.com/products/en ··· 754G72-A

Got them both working, but the Barricade is definately the most stable!

Col617
@pipex.com

Col617 to Mikevl

Anon

to Mikevl
Can I just clarify? You're running a Belkin F5D7630-4A but using the SMC ADSL Barricade™g SMC7804WBRA firmware?

I can understand that if they are the same hardware.....

Also, have you actually tried rolling back to the Belkin firmware? I just wonder if the SMC firmware upgrade page is going to let you install what it will surely see as 'foreign' code.

yidahoo
@bulldogdsl.com

yidahoo

Anon

In my experience, it let me install the firmware but I cannot re-install the Belkin. Get error messages like incorrect image, or size too big. Now have a router with no wireless and half of th emachines on my network are using wireless

Mikevl
@mentorg.com

Mikevl to Col617

Anon

to Col617
Col617:

YES, i'm running the SMC7804WBRA firmware on a F5D7630-4A box.. On this firmware the Belkin is far more stable and reliable than on the original Belkin fw..

I've previously gone back to the Belkin firmware without problems.

Col617
@pipex.com

Col617

Anon

Re: [Networking/Sharing] F5D7630-4A connection to

There is new firmware on the Belkin website...!!

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
join:1999-12-29
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

Indeed there is!
Link to firmware and Manual
»web.belkin.com/support/d ··· =1&mode=

Col617
@pipex.com

Col617

Anon

Well, UPnP seems to be working for me finally. All going very well so far!!

Hugo Nebula
@pipex.com

Hugo Nebula to nozero

Anon

to nozero
So, what's this firmware meant to fix?

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but just guessing, I'd say "F5D7630-4A connection to router keeps dying" as indicated by the thread title?

Hugo Nebula
@pipex.com

Hugo Nebula

Anon

Yes, that's what I'd HOPE it would fix (seeing as I wouldn't be reading this thread if I didn't have this problem); but that's not necessarily what the firmware WILL fix. I was asking (in a calm and reasoned manner) if a wise and knowledgeable person knew what the firmware update is for exactly. For all I knew, it could replace the entire operating system with a flashing message saying, "don't buy Belkin products; they're crap".

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
InnerSanctum

1 edit

nozero

MVM,

Since that information is not listed on the Belkin web page »web.belkin.com/support/d ··· =1&mode= and the manual listed on that page is dated 12/09/2003 I doubt that can be ascertained without contacting Belkin directly. I went to the link above and attempted to use the Online Chat feature but, it was busy. so I requested the information in question via email. If I get a response, I'll post it here.

Hugo Nebula
@pipex.com

Hugo Nebula to eratrya

Anon

to eratrya
Two hours, forty five minutes and counting while running Shareaza on one machine and d/l newsgroups on another.

It may not seem a lot to anyone else, but I think this is the longest this router's gone without rebooting. Hopefully this firmware update has fixed the problem and I can use the router that I bought more than two months ago without the constant aggravation. If not, I swear I'll drive to their offices and hurl the bloody thing through their windows wrapped in a breezeblock.
Hugo Nebula

Hugo Nebula

Anon

Five hours! Five sodding hours before it reset itself.

Anyone have a spare breezeblock?

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

Is it possible that this particular reset was unrelated? See how long you can go before another.

Hugo Nebula
@pipex.com

Hugo Nebula

Anon

Well, another 25 hours before it did it again.

I may be expecting too much. Is it normal for a router or modem not to stay connected for more than a few hours, or have I been very lucky with the Speedtouch USB modem up to now?

nozero
Eschew Obfuscation
MVM,
InnerSanctum

nozero

MVM,

Well, I've heard the Belkins run hot which could be contributing factor.

I've currently got a Netgear WGR 614 that runs for months without a problem and when something does flake out, I just disconnect the power supply and reconnect.

The belkin I had before ran for weeks, then would require either the above action or just a reset.

Hugo Nebula
@pipex.com

Hugo Nebula to eratrya

Anon

to eratrya
It looks like the firmware update hasn't fixed the problem. It's reset itself at least half a dozen times since Sunday afternoon. That's an average of 6 hours between resets.

I'm at a loss to think what to try next. I've replaced the unit twice and I've done everything suggested here. I've replaced the network card, but that's not made any difference either (and I didn't expect it to, quite frankly). I've even bought another model of router, but that did exactly the same thing.

If I use my Speedtouch USB modem, and use the router as a access point with my PC as the gateway, then I have no problems at all. It would be too much of a coincidence if four different routers across two different brands all had faulty modems wouldn't it?

Gazz1e
@icl.net

Gazz1e

Anon

Last Friday my F5D7630 router went AWOL. Every 2 to 5 minutes the router would reboot itself (P2P software running). Before Friday the router could go days without a rebooting itself.

I called Belkin and the best they could suggest was to do a hard reset. Did a hard reset, and even installed the latest firmware - no fix.

In an attempt of finding a fix I've stumbled across this site, and am amazed at the number of people suffering from the same problem.

In my case, it seems like there's a hack that can reboot a belkin modem over the net.

This router is total shight for hosting a web server (or even hosting TivoWeb). It doesn't even provide a setting to reconnect to the net.
Gazz1e

Gazz1e

Anon

Oh - and I use Pipex 512Kb connection, with a sticky IP address.

Hugo Nebula
@195.188.x.x

Hugo Nebula to Gazz1e

Anon

to Gazz1e
Gazz1e (anonymous) said:

"I called Belkin and the best they could suggest"...

You actually got through! You're my hero. How did you manage that?

Gazz1e
@icl.net

Gazz1e

Anon

I take it there's a bit of sarcasm in your post. Got through on the first call (although it was Friday at 23:30, and I was very, very drunk).

I called the number listed on...

»www.belkin.com/uk/suppor ··· all.html

And got speaking to some European bloke (think he was dutch).

fearby
join:2002-02-09
UK

2 edits

fearby to nozero

to nozero

I can flash the Belkin with the SMC firmware ok but I have no wireless connectivity at all.It only works with cables - which defeats the object somewhat.This may explain why some people think they have broken their router when in fact they have just lost the wireless ability.
Anyone managed to get round this?This hack is just what I need as I have real routed IP addresses which the Belkin doesn't like.

Hugo Nebula
@pipex.com

Hugo Nebula to eratrya

Anon

to eratrya
Looking through the posters on this subject, a high proportion with the dropout problem appear to be with Pipex. Could this be a connection? Hell, for all I know we could all be on the same exchange (I'm in Bath, BTW).

Is there a problem with Pipex or a conflict between them and this brand of router?

Gazz1e
@172.19.x.x

Gazz1e to eratrya

Anon

to eratrya

Re: [Networking/Sharing] F5D7630-4A connection to router keeps d

I'm in Cheshire.

I think it could be Pipex too. Belkin would of done something to fix the problem by now if everyone (non-Pipex users) had similar problems.

My connection can stay up for hours (days), but soon as I turn on Overnet I'd be lucky to get it up for an hour (ooer). These problems only started last Friday (20th August)

Think it's time to search a few Pipex forums.

_spain_
@adsl.nuria.telefonic

_spain_ to eratrya

Anon

to eratrya

*** About SMC / 3com firmwares...

Hi again,

You can update SMC firmware and roll back to Belkin directly, there's no problem in that.

- It's strongly recommended not to update using wireless.

I don't understand why some of you lose the wireless function ,since both Belkin and SMC firm use the same wireless card firmware (Intersil firmware 1.0.4.3.)

--- Annex:

try this onle-liner perl:

perl -e '$h="PK\x03\x04"; undef $/; (undef, @f)=split($h,); for(@f) { $i++; open F, ">fw$i.zip"; print F "$h$_" }'

This will "break" the firm into 3 pieces, change the extension of each one to .zip, the use the repare function from winrar/winzip or what else... Finally , extract them.

You will get 3 files: PFS.IMG SOHO.BIN ISL1030.BIN , the ISL1030.bin is the intersil firmware, the same in both firms.

If you open the router, u'll notice that it has a miniPCI intersil (3880 prism chipset) card, it works greatly in laptop using the following drivers:

»www.prism54.org/ --- linux drivers
»prism54.org/supported_cards.php

»www.senao.com/english/pr ··· tp2id=03