Premium Member
join:2001-06-07
Port Neches, TX

kmac1

Premium Member

Residential Install with PICTURES!!!!!

Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's how to wire up a true residential line with a filter in the SNI. This is a Siecor SNI. There's only cosmetic differences between this one and the Keptel. The Keptel has the customer and telco sides reversed. This is the way to do it LEGAL without interfering with the Telco side.

If everyone would wait to post on this till I get all the pictures(they have to be approved first) I would really appreciate it. I'll post on the end when I'm done.

Thanks!
kmac1

kmac1

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
You should be able to pull the test jack out. A small screwdriver can be used to move the retaining clip out of the way. On this module the back comes off and the 1/2 ringer is inside. Cut the 1/2 ringer off and resplice the wires. Don't twist them together. You can get telophone connectors(peanuts) from someplace like Radio Shack, or even stop and ask some telco repairman you see working. Most of them wouldn't mind giving you some as long as you ask nicely. As a last resort solder and tape over the copper. Put the wires back in, reattach the back cover and put the module back in place. Whoila!!! You've just removed the 1/2 ringer.

More to follow.
kmac1

1 recommendation

kmac1

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
To install the filter do the following in order.

1) Remove the existing IW(s) from the test module. Keep them together and make sure you keep the polarities straight. It doesn't affect the DSL, but some of your other telephony devices might be polarity sensitive.

2) Attach the filter leads and the IW that's homerun to your DSL modem. Tighten down the posts, but make sure you don't be a superman. Snug is plenty. You want to make sure that you don't damage the wiring.

3) Attach the other IWs to the filter and tighten down the posts. Again don't overdo it.

If you're using a different filter try to get it to fit nicely inside. Make sure that there's no bare metal that's exposed and that's it.

More to come
kmac1

2 recommendations

kmac1

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
After you've made all your wiring changes, tuck the wires out of the way of the door. Coiling them up and pushing them back works well. Now all that's left is to wire up the jack for the modem and you're done. You don't have to use Cat-5 wiring. Cat-3 is just fine.

I've also included a closeup of the 1/2 ringer in this module. There are different styles out there but they are all wired the same and serve the same purpose.
kmac1

kmac1

Premium Member

Okay, that's all the pictures I have for now. I'm working next on an office install that has RJ21X dmarcs. As soon as I get the pics I'll post them. Hope this helps clarify. I know it's a whole lot easier to understand with a picture than it is to try to decipher a drawing.