spc
Search similar:

uniqs
oteboy
join:2004-05-10
Midlothian, VA

oteboy

New to Cav DSL and having trouble.

Very helpful forum you guys have here. Helped me make my decision to purchase Cav DSL.

Went to hook up my modem (Westwell, ADSL) Saturday night and all seems to be fine with the modem. All lights appear as they should and the activity light even flashes every now and again. But I can't ping my gateway and, of course, get no pages to download. I'm not using a router, just straight from the modem to the ethernet port on the PC. No firewall up yet either. I even tried 2 different machines, with different op systems and brands of NICs. Same results.

Called service at 11:50pm, and luckily someone picked up. Nice guy and he stayed on with me for about an hour. First, he said that they had given me an IP addy that was already being used by someone else. Very nice! So we try a couple of different IP's until he is sure I have one nobody else is using, but still without any luck. The thing is, he said he could see my MAC address when everything was hooked up. But neither of us could ping the other.

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas as to what is wrong? He opened a ticket because he and the only other guy there couldn't figure out what was wrong and said someone would call me possibly Sunday, but probably Monday (today). I can't test anything right now from work, but and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

I had a similar issue except with the Reach DSL service. From what I understand is if any other MAC address was tied to your DSLAM port before it takes a long time for the MAC to update in the Gateway device.

I had the issue where I went from a netgear router to a sonicwall and the MAC address changed that I had to wait over night for the new MAC to work. I even tried waiting three hours and that did not help.

The info I received from Level 2 support was that the Gateway device is setup for a long refresh period on the MAC addresses.
oteboy
Midlothian, VA

oteboy

Maybe I will try it again tonight and leave it on overnight or something, see if that takes care of it. Or maybe it 's been reset now since I tried it on Saturday.
Thanks for the reply!

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to oteboy

Premium Member

to oteboy
Actually what I had to do, or did and it worked, was to power down the modem all night and fire it back up the next morning.

That may be your best try. If you are not running a server or anything on it, it will not matter if it is down over night.
oteboy
Midlothian, VA

oteboy

To give an update. Still not working. Modem was off for almost 2 days and still doesn't work, so that must not have been it. Someone came out to check the line for a looping problem (or something like that) yesterday, still nothing. Tier 1 could not figure it out, so they have passed the ticket to Tier 2 who should be looking at it today.

I am not optimistic.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to oteboy

Premium Member

to oteboy
How long did tier 1 hold on to this?? They should have shot it up within a couple of days of you being down.

What morons!!!

I finally had to keep sending emails to people within Cavalier that had nothing to do with my line to finally get an answer. I received an email from a Tier 2 supervisor who was nice enough to explain things to me. Now that I have a better understanding I was happy.

But it is a shame I had to bother lawyers and regulatory people that have nothing to do with it so I could get a resonable explanation.

Why is it that the so under trained Tier 1 people never want to let go of the problem when it is obvious there is nothing they can do about it.
oteboy
Midlothian, VA

oteboy

Here's the best part. As you know, I had the modem turned off Sunday. Well, apparently a Tier 1 tech tried to troubleshoot from their end that day and, of course, got "no power light". So without calling to tell me, they send someone to the house to look at the modem on Monday. I'M AT WORK!
Anyway, I call Monday night to find out why someone was there and get the above story. So I guess that explains the extra day or so.
Makes me mad though that I had to call back last night to get someone to bump it up to Tier 2, otherwise it would have been at the same level today with no progress.
oteboy

oteboy

Maybe I was wrong.

Just got a voice mail from Cavalier saying the problem should be fixed and that my IP was pingable. So, I pinged it from work and sure enough. Maybe all is well. Unless of course, they gave me another IP that someone else is using.
oteboy

oteboy

Well, its working. Not sure what Tier 2 did, but they got it working yesterday. Seems really fast, faster than my T1 at work. Not sure where to go to get my exact speeds, but once I figure that out I'll post them if anyone is interested in speeds for Midlothian, VA.

Thanks to ropeguru for all of your help.

ropeguru
Premium Member
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to oteboy

Premium Member

to oteboy
No problem. You may try:

»members.cavtel.net/speed

I think that is their speed test. Not very informative but at least it will be kept inside their network.

Mellow
Premium Member
join:2001-11-16
Salisbury, MD

Mellow to oteboy

Premium Member

to oteboy
»/stest

whole list of speedtest sites. I prefer the speakeasy ones.

wdc.speakeasy.net
nyc.speakeasy.net
coryTV
join:2004-04-15
Norfolk, VA

coryTV to oteboy

to oteboy
I actually get the very best speeds out of cavtel's network from the atlanta speakeasy test.

atl.speakeasy.net

If it's less than 6.4 Mbits, I get worried.

I generally consider any page that does not render instantaneously "slow" It's not unusual to put a search into google, and the results to come up as soon as you let go of the mouse after clicking search...

Cory
coryTV

coryTV

BTW, I wouldn't trust the cavtel speed test. I just did it from here at work (Not even Cavalier) and it posted 441.83 kbps. Which is great, considering we have a 384k connection. :-P I think it's a bit skewed to the "fast" side. This makes sense, as I normally get a result of 8800 or so at home, and I don't think I'm locked in any faster than 7 MBit..

Cory
TheKrell
join:2003-12-07
Fairfax, VA

TheKrell

I see what you mean. It gives 7769.88kbps (in the comparison histogram chart) for me. And it also says:
quote:

Your raw bandwith rating is: 6.71 Mbps
Your line speed is: 7.58 Mbps
You can download at 859.5 KB/sec from our servers.

If these numbers are somehow consistent, I don't see how.