uniqs
share rss forum feed

JrC384k

join:2000-09-24
Chicago, IL

reply to Bill_MI

Re: INFO: Port Triggering - What is it?

said by Bill_MI:
Can I run a game server using Port Triggering?
I doubt it. Port Triggering is initiated from a LAN PC, NOT users out on the internet. Port Triggering has very limited value for servers - use Port Forwarding.

I thought it works like this: An inbound (inbound from the internet for example) from ports xxx-xxx opens ports xxx-xxx on all LAN PCs.

Forwarding:
Forward 80-80 TCP to 192.168.1.2 opens port 80 on 192.168.1.2

Triggering:
80-80 triggers opening of 80-80 opens path to port 80 on all machines running servers when triggered (e.g. someone tries to access server).

Also note that I tried to do this while forwarding was also ON.
[text was edited by author 2001-06-23 14:06:19]

[text was edited by author 2001-06-23 14:07:24]

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

said by JrC384k:
I thought it works like this: An inbound (inbound from the internet for example) from ports xxx-xxx opens ports xxx-xxx on all LAN PCs.
Except for broadcast functions I've never seen a case of a port forwarding to all LAN PCs. Is this what you mean? It would take one incoming packet generating several (1 addressed to each), right? If it's TCP which PC ack do you use?

I found Forwarding always overrides Triggering - could that be what you see? Please elaborate what happened, I'm curious.

Traditional Port Triggering is only LAN generated although packets from the internet "keeps it going" in this case. One thing I didn't try was if the source port of an incoming access to, say, your HTTP server was in a Trigger Range if your server reply would trigger! Hmmm... I'd call that a bug if it did. See what I mean?...

Say you had the IRC (6660-6670) Trigger.
MSIE(6667) --TCP--> JrCSite(80)
Your server replies:
JrCSite(80) --ACK--> MSIE(6667)

Will your ACK trigger Port 6667? I'd like to test this - not easy!

JrC384k

join:2000-09-24
Chicago, IL

I have been trying to test my theories using port scans. Will a port scan trigger a port? I went under that assumption when doing my testing.
--
No hablo espanol. Puedo quiza. No se. - Este programa ha realizado una operacion ilegal y sera terminado.