how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jangona

join:2001-07-27
Boynton Beach, FL

print shop 15 installation problem...phase 2

when i attempt to install print shop deluxe 15 on my xp prof. computer, i get the following error, and the installation quits.

e:\setup\data2.cab Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

i am attempting to do the installation with no windows programs running, as per their instructions

JeffB8
Premium
join:2001-12-20
Somewhere
You may want to post this in the software forum...this one's for digital imaging.

rog
Premium
join:2002-07-03
BC
reply to jangona
Make sure you have a System Restore point then maybe ignore the install instuctions. Just run the Setup.exe. It almost looks like the setup is trying to grab a file from Internet Explorer cab file. Why? I have no idea. Also check the website to see if there are any known issues with XP Pro.

outtatimeiii
Mini Me
Premium
join:2000-12-24
Tucson, AZ
reply to jangona
A CRC error is not a good error to see.

Looks like its a CD install. Apparently your CD reader cannot read/extract the file and errors with a CRC.

Try to do this:

1) manually copy everything off the CD to a temporary place on your hard disk (such as C:\Temp or C:\CD) and try to install from that. If that fails then:

2) try a different CD drive or computer. If it installs or copies fine from another drive/machine then your CD is good and your CD-ROM is stubborn . If you cannot read it on another computer or drive, I suggest for you to return it since the CD dont work.

howie1
Premium
join:2003-04-08
Antarctica
kudos:4
reply to jangona
I agree that it sounds like a defective CD and the drive cannot read data2.cab. Try outtatimeiii's suggestion and if it still doesn't read the file, contact Broderbund for a replacement.

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
ok, i just tried the installation using the other cd drive on my pc. then, i got this error, and the installation stopped.

f:\content\PS15PART.TDT
data error (cyclic redundancy check)

i've looked on the broderbund website...its a pitiful resource, no info worth anything, and they won't give tech support for the product anymore.

howie1
Premium
Antarctica
reply to jangona
You may want to try cleaning the CD. Use a mild water/detergent solution, rinse and then dry with a clean, soft cloth from the inside edge to the outside edge (not in a circular motion). Do you notice any visible scratches? If so, light scratches can be polished out with a mild abrasive such as toothpaste (not good for deep scratches).

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
the problem is the program uses 2 disks for the installation...the first error was on the installation disk, the 2nd error was on the program disk.....oh, and i'm able to install the program on my other computer...

howie1
Premium
Antarctica
said by jangona:
the problem is the program uses 2 disks for the installation...the first error was on the installation disk, the 2nd error was on the program disk.....oh, and i'm able to install the program on my other computer...

That's unusual that 2 drives on the same PC won't read some files on the CD's yet it installs fine on another machine. You could always take the drive out of your other PC and install it on the one with the problem but that's an awful lot of work...

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
i'm not that desperate yet

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
i just tried to copy the disks onto my hard drive, but got the same redundancy error as above...

howie1
Premium
Antarctica
said by jangona:
i just tried to copy the disks onto my hard drive, but got the same redundancy error as above...

That seems logical, as your CD drive is trying to read (unsuccessfully) the same files as it would during an install. I guess you could copy all the files to CD-R(W)'s on the other machine (the one with the successful install) and then copy them to your hard drive on this machine and run setup that way.

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
ugh, my other pc doesnt have a burner on it...

i just ran another installation on this pc, but i did the minimum installation. it seemed to install the program, but had some trouble with the art disks.

when i clicked on the shortcut to start the program, the splash screen came up, and froze...I then had to reboot, and here we are again.

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
ok, i just pulled out my old print shop deluxe 12 version, and it installed just fine....when i went to run it, it came up ok, but i can't see the things i try to put onto a project. it just looks like a blank card, or blank piece of paper.

is this a display adapter problem that could cause this problem?

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
»support.broderbund.com/fix.asp?i···rinter=1

i finally found this under the tech suupport for printmaster, and it actually worked.

so, now i can run printshop 12

if i ever feel really brave, i might try for the 15 again...but not today!

jangona

Boynton Beach, FL
reply to jangona
»support.broderbund.com/fix.asp?s···rinter=1

i finally found this under the tech suupport for printmaster, and it actually worked.

so, now i can run printshop 12

if i ever feel really brave, i might try for the 15 again...but not today!

Disable the nView Desktop Management for the PrintMaster® (NVIDIA® Geforce video cards only)

Disabling the nView Desktop Management for PrintMaster® will resolve this difficulty. Complete these steps:
Close any open windows and programs to return to the desktop.

Click Start, select Settings and click Control Panel. For Windows® XP, click Start and click Control Panel. A Control Panel window will appear.

Double-click NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager. An nView Desktop Manager window will appear.

Click the Applications tab.

NOTE: If the Applications tab does not appear, click to place a check in the boxes beside Enable nView Desktop Manager and Show Advanced nView Controls on the Info tab and click Apply. Click the Applications tab that appears and continue with Step 5.

Click the Add App button. An nView - Add Application for Individual Management window will appear.

Click the down arrow by Look In and select the drive letter where PrintMaster® was installed. (The default drive letter is "C".)

Double-click Program Files.

Double-click Broderbund.

Double-click PrintMaster.

Click pmw.exe once to select it and click Open. In the list of applications using custom nView settings, pmw (Application) will appear.

Click pmw (Application) from the list of applications using custom nView settings and click Disable. A Disable nView Functions window will appear.

Click to remove the check by Enable nView Desktop Management for this Application and/or Class.

Click OK. A red "X" will appear to the left of pmw (Application).

Click Apply and click OK. The nView Desktop Manager window will close.

Close the Control Panel window by clicking the "X" in the upper-right corner of the window.

Launch and use PrintMaster® 12.

Technical Note ID: 38869
(Write down the Technical Note ID number for future reference. The ID number may be entered in the Product Search field on the Welcome page to immediately access this technical note in the future.)