spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jaxel
join:2004-05-22
Lawndale, CA

Jaxel

[ Cable] What exactly is AOL "Bring Your Own Access"

Ok, heres the story, please bear with me because I'm a bit computer illiterate.

I had AOL for a while, I recently cancelled it and got Roadrunner. The Roadrunner guy told me that if I wanted to for only a dollar or two extra I could keep AOL chat rooms and and e-mail or something like that, which I'm assuming is the "BYOA" thing everyone talks about. Well at the time I didn't want it, but now I do.

So my questions are this.. what exactly do I get with this? And how does it connect with my Roadrunner. Do I have to have some AOL agent thing that I load up everytime I want to use the chat rooms, and also would it slow down my roadrunner connection?

enOehT
Premium Member
join:2003-05-17
Easton, PA

3 edits

enOehT

Premium Member

said by Jaxel:
Ok, heres the story, please bear with me because I'm a bit computer illiterate.
The simple fact that you have managed to post here and register as a member sets you apart from the truly computer illiterate.
quote:

The Roadrunner guy told me that if I wanted to for only a dollar or two extra I could keep AOL chat rooms and and e-mail or something like that, which I'm assuming is the "BYOA" thing everyone talks about. Well at the time I didn't want it, but now I do.
You are referring to the AOL Maintenance plan for $2.95 (i think this is the right price), BYOA is something different, AOL BYOA is $14.95, and is fully functional AOL with internet access provided by another ISP.
quote:
what exactly do I get with this?
AOL Maintenance will let you keep your email addresses.
quote:
And how does it connect with my Roadrunner.
Over TCP/IP via your Cable modem.
quote:
Do I have to have some AOL agent thing that I load up everytime I want to use the chat rooms
No, you could use AIM and webmail or AOL Communicator
quote:
and also would it slow down my roadrunner connection?
Absolutely not, it will be as fast with or without AOL.

hth
Jaxel
join:2004-05-22
Lawndale, CA

Jaxel

can I still get the AOL maintenance thing for 4.95 if I've already cancelled AOL? I only cancelled about 3 or so weeks ago.

enOehT
Premium Member
join:2003-05-17
Easton, PA

enOehT

Premium Member

that is a tough call. i don't want to tell you no, so call aol and see what they can do for you. a lot of times, you will be able to recover your old screen names.
enOehT

enOehT

Premium Member

»AOL Plus Cable Modem and ADSL Internet »I'm going to leave AOL, can i keep it just for email?

Theo25
@attbi.com

Theo25

Anon

Re: [ Cable] What exactly is AOL "Bring Your Own A

The maintenance plan is pretty much just for the email service, you can poll email through aol communicator, webmail, or through a different email software.
I believe they do give you a couple hours of dial up included each month. A couple hours doesn't do much good though unless you are traveling or in hotels, etc.

dddane
join:2002-01-10
Chicago, IL

dddane to Jaxel

to Jaxel

Re: [ Cable] What exactly is AOL "Bring Your Own Access"

i think you may have 6 months to claim back your old SN?

momma9
join:2003-05-05
Vero Beach, FL

momma9 to Jaxel

to Jaxel

Re: [ Cable] What exactly is AOL "Bring Your Own A

You can get the bring your own access plan for $9.95/mo if you commit to it for 6 months or $14.95/mo is it's regular price for "piggybacking" your cable connection (you would be using AOL's software and roadrunner's connection) the plan gives you 15 hours of dial up in case the cable goes down or you need to use your account from another location. It doesn't sound like you used you AOL account for much besides an internet connect and E-mail, but AOL has features that a lot of people like to keep and still have high speed, ex: parental controls, keywords, and so on. If you want to try out BYOA call the back the number you used to cancel and they will be able to reactivate your account and should be able to let you try out the BYOA plan for free for a month or two.

KevNYC
Premium Member
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

KevNYC to Jaxel

Premium Member

to Jaxel

Re: [ Cable] What exactly is AOL "Bring Your Own Access"

In addition to the information here...you could also do a survey on AOL every two weeks and they take about $5 off your bill.

storm64007
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Freeport, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

storm64007

Premium Member

said by KevNYC:
In addition to the information here...you could also do a survey on AOL every two weeks and they take about $5 off your bill.

Yup..i still do them every two weeks. I average 5-6 bucks off every month. Sometimes higher if your lucky. Last month i got 9 bucks off for doing two surveys for 4.50 each.

Rygel
Premium Member
join:2001-11-17
Moira, NY

Rygel to Jaxel

Premium Member

to Jaxel
Wow. I never heard of the maintenance plan. It sounds like what I might need to do.

I'm trying to get my mother off of AOL Broadband and just go with Verizon but we'd like to keep our email addresses.