AnArky
I am in your nightmares.
Premium Member
join:2001-06-12
Berwyn, IL

AnArky

Premium Member

Cool features with the 5260 and Enternet 1.5a

Im not sure if anyone has seen these before but figure I would post them anyway. I never saw these tabs before I got the Efficient 5260. They showed up once Enternet 1.5a detected the 5260 modem. I know 1.5a is not released yet by SBC/Ameritech. I bought it directly from efficient to try and hopefully resolve some of my earlier issues.

Here are the links to the screen shots of the tabs i took captures of.

»members.core.com/~anarky ··· dsl1.jpg

»members.core.com/~anarky ··· dsl2.jpg

The second tab even has an update modem to update software and auto discovery of the VPI/VCI. If you have already seen this my apologies but I never heard or read of these features and thought I would share them with you.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

Re: Cool features with the 5260 and Enternet 5.1a

The Efficient products spit out a lot of info compared to the Westell (which has it's status mouth effectively taped shut). Thanks for the heads-up.

Ranma
Premium Member
join:2001-04-28
Houston, TX

Ranma to AnArky

Premium Member

to AnArky

Re: Cool features with the 5260 and Enternet 1.5a

Good post I didn't know you could do that. Though it will only do that for the Efficient Network products I believe, because Efficient Networks writes the Enternet 300 software. Awww... When did you buy the Enternet version 1.5a? I heard that Ameritech has Efficient v1.5a available somewhere on their start page now. I don't know if it's true or not. You have to login with an Ameritech account at www.ameritech.net.

AnArky
I am in your nightmares.
Premium Member
Berwyn, IL

AnArky

Premium Member

Its not available yet that I know of. I looked after your post too. I even gave a couple copies to the two techs they rolled to my house in thee last month to troubleshoot my problems. I bought they software for like 25-30 dollars to see if it might fix the problems - was having for the past 2-3 months. It is more stable and less of a resource hog and more compatible with ME and 2K. Well I didn,t buy it at least. I expensed it back on my Ameritech Credit Card as they pay home phone bill as well for work purposes.
I bought version 1.5 in February and got the free upgrade to 1.5a in the first week of May.

He who dies with the most toys.... WINS!!!!
[text was edited by author 2001-06-27 23:13:22]
MarshaJ773
join:2001-04-24
Chicago, IL

MarshaJ773

said by AnArky:
Its not available yet that I know of.
»www.efficient.com/produc ··· ase.html

has 30 day evaluation version... also info on buying it.

AnArky
I am in your nightmares.
Premium Member
Berwyn, IL

AnArky

Premium Member

Thanks for the info MarshaJ773 and the link. I was explaining that I could not find the software on Ameritechs website in response to his earlier question. I have already bought the software.

dslq
join:2001-05-07
Stockbridge, MI

dslq to AnArky

to AnArky
ASI Techs should receive the latest copy of Enternet 300 (v1.5a) very soon if they have not yet received it. SBC should begin shipping an updated version of the SBC Express CD that contains the new version of Enternet 300. There is also an updated version for Macintosh (v1.2?) on the ASI disc.

Ranma
Premium Member
join:2001-04-28
Houston, TX

Ranma to AnArky

Premium Member

to AnArky
said by AnArky:
Its not available yet that I know of. I looked after your post too.
I called Ameritech Customer-Self Install dept to make sure I had the right link and told them I had to reinstall everything in my PC and wanted to know what the download site is they told me to go to this link instead of going to www.efficient.com. They said Ameritech customers have to have use the username: dslsoft and the password: driver , but that SBIS, NBI, and PBI customers should just enter their username and password in. Sure enough it works. They said they it's for registered and unregistered customers. Though the new version 1.5a won't be on hard copy until Mid-July.
Ranma

Ranma to AnArky

Premium Member

to AnArky
Damn. I am too slow... somebody already posted it here.
»New SBC Driver Sight.

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

You are faster than me! I was busy linking to your post. For the record, you already had it posted before STLSMOASI got it in...

Elle45
Not Enough Ooooo's In Smooth
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Racine, WI

Elle45

Premium Member

I read your thread about Enternet300 V1.5 went straight to link and downloaded. Read installation instructions very carefully I thought. Rebooted everything connected ok but I can't seem to come up with the dsl modem tabs. Your suppose to right click icon and click advanced. Nothing. I tried uninstalling version 1.4 then 1.5 still no dsl tabs. Is this because I'm running with a usb modem instead of with the ethernet modem? I have a 3Com Fast Etherlink 10/100 PCI 3C905C-TX installed in my PC. Would I be better off using it to connect with possibly some other software. or could I use Enternet300. I'm fairly new at all this and would appreciate any thoughts. Would I have to get a different modem? Ethernet?
I have Win 98SE
Speedstream 4060
My speed is: »/speed ··· e7c4;1.1
My tweak looks worse now than it did 15 min. ago:
»monitor.dslreports.com/t ··· enternet
Haven't been able to line test for 2 days so many queried up.
Maybe better leaving everything way it is. Like don't mess with a good thing?
Like I said any thoughts would be appreciated.

Elle Bewildered in Milwaukee
[text was edited by author 2001-08-15 23:29:37]

ryang
Premium Member
join:2001-04-01
Chicago, IL

ryang

Premium Member

The features are only possible with the 5260 and Enternet 1.5a.

Your USB modem will not show the advanced features, since it is not the 5260. You would need this modem to begin with.

Elle45
Premium Member
Racine, WI

Elle45

Premium Member

I contacted Ameritech to see about getting the Ethernet modem and haven't got a reply yet. I've only had 4060 about 6 months. Would my price for one through Ameritech be cheaper than say like on e-bay. Or does anyone have a suggestion of one that is comparible to the 5260. Then could I use my 3Com to connect. Or do you think I'm better off sticking with Enternet. I really haven't had all that bad of luck with it.
Elle

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

kcazzie

Premium Member

What's the old saying...'If things aren't broke, don't fix'.But this is a tough one...I really like the external modem! I like the ability to use a router and all the advantages it gives...Always on, add extra PCs, more stable connection,security...etc...But, the again never used a USB type modem, some have had problems, but most are pleased...I guess it's up to you...I'm sure A'tech will give you an external modem, with the right story...Then you'll need a NIC, which should come with the modem...And really the only reason to change is to set up a router...Good Luck...;)

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to Elle45

to Elle45
The 4060 USB has it's own advanced info tabs on it's drivers. You ctl-alt-a to get at them from the driver icon. See Jan Janowski's excellent description in the forum FAQ or in this thread.

Elle45
Premium Member
Racine, WI

Elle45

Premium Member

I already read that thread and used the information. Was just wandering about specific DSL tabs that are suppose to be in advanced info on Enternet300 icon. The index views explanation of them, but I didn't have them. Checked profile settings and saw I was using V1.5. I'm wandering if I should use V1.5 anyway even though I don't have 5260 modem. Any thoughts on that?

Elle

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

Not sure what other benefits go along with 1.5a but the new status tabs are only for the 526x Efficient modem. They are evidently integrating the status access into Enternet300 for their products that don't provide it otherwise (like the 4060 does).

Elle45
Premium Member
Racine, WI

Elle45

Premium Member

I think as long as it's not causing any conflicts I'll just leave it installed. Hopefully ameritech will contact me about the 5260 soon and I'll get it.
System

to AnArky

Anon

to AnArky

!.5b

According to the efficent web site enternet 1.5b was released in 8/06/2001. Anybody has any first hand knowledge of the product or where to get it?

to AnArky

Anon

to AnArky

enternet 1.6

there is a enternet 1.6 availible. it adds a personal firewall. the dsl modem tabs are still there. I seems to use more if the computer's resoures. if you search for it it will come up. one seems to be able to downloaded overseas. don't know why maybe copyright issues. also it looks like it was release around the same time as 1.5 so maybe it was release concurrently, to give users the chocie of firewall or not. I really don't know how good the firewall is

Bob Carrick

join:2000-04-24
New York, NY

Bob Carrick

V1.6 has been scrapped V1.5b is the latest and will stay that way until Windows XP support in V1.5c, which won't be out for a bit.
System

Anon

with XP, you don't need enternet, raspppoe, dns settings, or anything else. it just loads a driver for your nic, then you type in your user name and password in the network connections. pretty slick actually, no extra weight and you still pull down the same download speeds or transfer rates, however you want to say it. ahhhh, life without enternet is so nice...

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick

I realize that, I was just giving the update on EnterNet. PPPoE is native in Windows XP. Just like this:
1) Create a new connection
2) Choose Connect to Internet
3) Create Manually (option 2)
4) Connect Using Broadband Connection that requires a username and password
5) Give it a name (IE: DSL)
6) Put in your name and password (Don't forget to add your ISP's domain as part of your userid, IE: for Verizon it is userid@verizon.net)
7) Right click and choose properties for that new connection
8) Empty entry in Service name to let it use Wan PPPOE
9) Go to Networking Folder, choose Internet Protocol TCP/IP
10) Choose Properties - Make sure everything is auto assigned
System

Anon

yeah, that's pretty slick on microsoft's part - convenient for the end user though, but no love for anyone else. did you see how XP even has a driver for the nic and how simple the nic installation was? nice, one less thing you have to install or configure. raspppoe is a nice touch for w2k. microsoft should go ahead and throw in a virus scanner in the OS and call it a day, they added everything else. i wonder is life with a mac like this? nice page you have by the way.

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick

OSX on the Mac also has built in PPPoE support. Also Macs come with integrated ethernet cards so you don't have to worry about installing one. So yup life with a Mac is like that also. Thanks for the nice words about my site also.
System

Anon

that's cool to hear, there's no reason why an internet connection should drain resources and be a pain to configure on one computer. and no problem on the compliment, it's so hard to come by accurate information these days, you learn to appreciate it when you see it. how do you like enternet 1.6? i thought about taking a look at it just to see has it improved, is it worth a look?

ryang
Premium Member
join:2001-04-01
Chicago, IL

ryang to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
said by boutthis1:
microsoft should go ahead and throw in a virus scanner in the OS and call it a day
If that happened you can kiss your computer good bye. MS designing an anti-virus program??? Big No NO as well as big EXPLOIT. Can you imagine all the breeches, patches, leaks, backdoors...ahhh!! It would make sense since they designed the OS from the ground up, but it's MS so there will be bugs of course. It would also add to their monopoly.

XP PPPoE is very nice. I only have the TCP/IP protocol bound to my PCI modem (which XP supports nicely). No more Enternet junk for me.

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick to Anon

to Anon
EnterNet V1.6 actually doesn't exist anymore it got recalled. V1.5b is the latest the next coming out is V1.5c. Which I do like, I'm an EnterNet fan just because it doesn't use Microsoft Dial-up networking like 2 other PPPoE clients. Then of course for Windows 2000 I like RASPPPoE.

harraton
join:2001-09-25
Chicago, IL

harraton to AnArky

to AnArky

Re: Cool features with the 5260 and Enternet 1.5a

Hi there. I just upgraded to Enternet v 1.5, and I miffed about these new features v1.5 is suopposed to have.

I have the Speedstream 5260 modem, but do not see any other tabs or diagnostics with the Enternet v 1.5 software. I know that the 1.5 software is supposed to add a "DSL Modem" tab into the Advanced window, and to the Properties, I think. But, these do not appear for me.

Any solutions to this?

Bob Carrick

New York, NY

Bob Carrick

Did you install it while your Efficient modem was plugged in? Is it a USB modem?

Bob