Tanstaafl
Premium Member
join:2001-03-22
Aurora, CO

2 edits

Smuuth

Premium Member

Viewing Modem Stats?

I am using a Netopia 3341-ELK UHP modem from Earthlink in bridged mode with PPPOE provided by my Linksys WRT54G Router.
My question: Is there any way to see the line and modem stats without going back to a direct computer/modem connection and resetting the modem to UHP mode?
Obviously with the router providing DHCP at 192.168.1.1 and a NAT IP of 192.168.1.100 to the computer, there is no way to access 172.16.0.254 directly.
Is there any other way to see the modem log or stats page?

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

4 edits

Bill_MI

MVM

I'm not a Netopia user but here's my suggestion...

Temporarily change the WRT54G's WAN from your PPPoE to a static IP of 172.16.0.240/255.255.255.0 gateway 172.16.0.245 then try it.

EDIT: is that .245 or .254? I don't know, just a thought.

Almost all modems have to be accessed from their own LAN space and I'm assuming Netopia is no exception. Also, they tend to respond there even in bridge mode.

Of course, it would be nice to access it at the same time as the net but that's a more elaborate setup (ugly, too ).

Smuuth
Tanstaafl
Premium Member
join:2001-03-22
Aurora, CO

2 edits

Smuuth

Premium Member

.254 - I was dyslexic and mistyped - thanks for the catch
That would probably work, but I am trying to do it without losing my PPPOE connection at the same time. If i change the router from PPPOE mode to static IP mode with any IP other than the one already assigned , I believe it will disconnect from Earthlink...
It may not be possible to do what I want at all, I know accessing internal private IP addresses from other private IPs does not work.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

You can put a non-switching hub in between the modem and the router and run an ethernet cable to a second NIC card installed in your PC.

Not sure if that would actually work, either, since don't most DSL modems only allow one MAC address to connect on the modem's LAN side?

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

said by vpoko:
Not sure if that would actually work, either, since don't most DSL modems only allow one MAC address to connect on the modem's LAN side?
That should work fine and one of those "ugly" ways to do it.

1) As Vpoko mentioned - 2nd NIC

2) Parallel router bridging across. I've been doing this with an old BEFSR41 (bridging a ZyXEL P314).

3) Replace router with one that can have 2 WANs with routing control.

4) The temporary solution I mentioned.

vpoko
Premium Member
join:2003-07-03
Boston, MA

vpoko

Premium Member

Could you show us how #2 would work? Not sure if I understand what you mean.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

4 edits

Bill_MI

MVM

Sure thing. This is exactly how I've been running for a few years now. The trick is to NOT have LAN space conflicts (the LAN cannot be 192.168.1.x like the modem for example). The "ROUTE ADD" command must be added to any PC that has to talk to the modem.

Basically, the ROUTE command forces all 192.168.1.x to go to the BEFSR41 whose WAN is in the address space of the modem. Make sense?

EDIT: An added benefit. I can change the WAN of the BEFSR41 to PPPoE and pull a second connection from the ISP, too.

EDIT2: Turn off LAN DHCP on the BEFSR41 if you rely on it (I never use DHCP so I forgot to mention it).

EDIT3: Instead of the added router, feed the added HUB/SWITCH from a 2nd NIC, use a similar ROUTE ADD for that NIC (which is set to 192.168.1.5) and you have solution 1).

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

Bill, I do something like that with this set-up. First with a rotary A-B switch (S) open, I make the PPPoE connection through the router, then I throw the A-B switch to close the connection to the network switch. This allows the modem's telenet interface to be accessed. This set-up works as long as the PPPoE connection is maintained. If it drops, the SX41 router can't make a PPPoE connection while the A-B switch isn't open.

Instead of the A-B switch, the cable from the router's LAN port to the network switch could simply be connected and unconnected.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

LOL! GMTA! That used to work with my BEFSR41 but the P314 wouldn't tolerate the same ethernet address on both sides for some reason. In fact, it allowed me to find a bug/anomoly that was previously discussed in he ZyXEL forum because even when switching back and forth the P314 would get confused and a LAN port would be on the WAN even when it wasn't!!! I don't show a P324 I also have in this mix, too.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l

MVM

Bill, I think I like your arrangement better if I can do the routing with the SX41. I have an SR41.

The method I show above works just great when the PPPoE link is made, but if the link drops, then the mess begins. If the router tries to reconnect the PPPoE link on its own, the packets get into a race state and seem to just loop around continuously. Then I usually have to power-cycle everything to be able to reconnect.

I wouldn't recommend this set-up for a permanent network, but only for temporary modem tests.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

I've been playing with Westell modems and they have the same old 192.168.1.1 requirement. However, they also have a backdoor utility that uses broadcast packets. Someday I'll figure out how the heck that would be possible with this arrangement - I don't theenk so!