uniqs

WhyADuck
Premium Member
join:2003-03-05

WhyADuck to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall

Re: [TWC] [TWC] wants wants to charge me $25,000 f

"It's not likely that the OP is being given an inaccurate figure"??? Sorry, but I simply cannot believe it costs anything remotely close to $25,000 to extend a cable ONE BLOCK. If it really costs that much, no place would ever get wired.

They may CLAIM it costs that much, but as I say, I do not believe it for a second. Utilities lie to customers all the time, and a figure that high simply doesn't make sense. It's like when some kid hacks into a corporate computer and gets caught, and the company pulls a multimillion dollar damages figure out of thin air and then tries to come up with some way to justify that figure. In other words they pull a figure out of a hat and then, only if necessary, cook some books to justify that figure. As I say, utilities are famous for this (virtually all telephone company accounting that is presented to public utility commissions is more fiction than fact), and if they really want to make such a claim I'd like to see them justify it to the penny, and then explain how they managed to wire the rest of the town if it cost them that much (you know that most residents of the town didn't pay a dime to have the cable run past their homes; if anything they only paid a small installation charge when they actually subscribed).
Kip patterson
Premium Member
join:2000-10-23
Columbus, OH

Kip patterson

Premium Member

"One block" is your assumption. No one can figure out what it takes to install cable in an area without a knowledge of the area including such information as house spacing, location of existing facilites, etc.

One doesn't just go up to existing cable and hook up an extension.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by Kip patterson:
One doesn't just go up to existing cable and hook up an extension.
You mean they can't do it with a coupling and some RG6 cable ??
Kip patterson
Premium Member
join:2000-10-23
Columbus, OH

Kip patterson

Premium Member

No, they need at least RG-11 and a supply of skyhooks.

Seriously, there are a lot of things that have to happen.

A rideout with the pole owner, and all the poles used have to be added to the pole contract. About $10 per pole per year, by the way.

Is there an existing feeder that can be extended? Amps needed? Losses have to be calculated, tap plate values calculated.

If it can't be done from an existing feeder, where is the nearest trunk? May need to extend the trunk, a bridger amp for sure, plus the new feeder, taps, amps.

No trunk available? Where's the nearest fiber splice box with an open pair to the neighborhood hub? Set a node, run the fiber, install a new laser and receiver, perhaps add a line card, plus all of the above.
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
join:2004-03-05
WNY/Niagara
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
pfSense SG-2220

bodosom to WhyADuck

Premium Member

to WhyADuck
said by WhyADuck:
"It's not likely that the OP is being given an inaccurate figure"??? Sorry, but I simply cannot believe it costs anything remotely close to $25,000 to extend a cable ONE BLOCK. If it really costs that much, no place would ever get wired.

My letter from TW (my share is $9,533) says the formula they use for cost "sharing" is set by the State of New York.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

said by bodosom:
My letter from TW (my share is $9,533) says the formula they use for cost "sharing" is set by the State of New York.
Don't recall where the OP is from, but at least here in Ohio, the state gov't doesn't meddle with the cable industry. Local gov'ts have a little bit of "regulatory" control over them though...

Lost In Space
@204.46.x.x

Lost In Space to WhyADuck

Anon

to WhyADuck
Typical ... they want to charge the customer $25K. Mine was $7K for 3 houses. I doubt there are many people (I guess were refered to last milers) that have this kind of disposable cash.