gudel
System Lord
Premium
join:2004-06-03
USA
reply to ThisGuy2

Re: Network Storage Link

said by ThisGuy2:
How robust does it really need to be to transfer at most 100Mbps?

speed is irrelevant here. you can be doing slow write/read, but if FS is no good, you'll get erratic performance or worst, errors. Ever use Fat16/Fat32? robust such that it has transaction journals so problems such as disconnection or power issue does not affect the last read/write. that robust.

ThisGuy2

join:2004-04-08
And where do these filesystems struggle??? When they are trying to go fast, so even if the file system isn't that great, at that speed it most likely wouldn't be noticed...

hunter44102

@158.xx.68.ptr.us.xo.
I ordered the NSLU2 (Linksys Network storage Link) also.

My big question is, what kind of performance does it have, especially if there are about 5-6 people in an office that may be accessing files at the same time.

I will have to do some testing and find out if I can crash the sucker!

-hunter

kkcolor

join:2001-11-06
Portland, OR
reply to ThisGuy2
I am using an Linksys EtherFast Instant GigaDrive (EFG80)network attached storage at work, and it's speed is, oh... sucky. It cannot transfer over about 50M without amazing slowdowns and stops in the transfer. It can take 5 or 10 minutes to transfer 125M to it from a windows box. I think this thing is a POS, and would never recommend it to anyone.

xillusionx

@lwrnce01.in.comcast.
lol.
I can crash anything that has been put in my hands that I have tested. I was thinking this would be good but now I am starting to think not because of reformating it, I got the thing pretty well loaded as it is , I dont have any space on the pc to store all of that. i have a 120gig hd with data it is filled with even da couple dvds that I own are on it because I watch them frequently and is to lazy to swap and shit easyer to to point to another folder. Even with the dvds deleted still to much data left.

-illusion
Ps. I was willing to buy it out and try it until they wanted me to reformat "MY shit" to some other format just because.

old fart

join:2004-05-26
Keswick, ON
reply to Cananus
Go to www.ximeta.com

SquareSlinky
Premium
join:2004-05-25
Tampa, FL
I now have this thing and it is working fine. The speeds seem decent to me. Also, you do need to format the drive to another format to make it work. You will loose all data on the drive if it is not new. Mine was new, so I didn't care.

I almost went with the Ximeta when I found it a few months back. The problem I saw with it was that they didn't, at the time, allow more than 1 user on it at a time. They said they were fixing that, but I don't like the idea of buying something on the hope that they will actually make it work in the future.

old fart

join:2004-05-26
Keswick, ON
I have the multi access software on mine & it's working OK.

nauticos

join:2001-03-20
Ellicott City, MD
reply to griff99
Got possible info on file systems for the NSLU2, it will use the open source Lustre file system see link below

»www.clusterfs.com/

makarov380

join:2004-03-29
reply to SquareSlinky
I just got my NSLU2 up and running, and I am disappointed. It too 2 hours to copy 35MB of MP3's. I tried to play one, and it was not fast enough to do that. I have not had a chance to do any troubleshooting, but the results were that same with my workstation and my laptop.

SquareSlinky
Premium
Tampa, FL
I uploaded 35gb and was playing songs off it the whole time. Maybe your USB hard drive doesnt have good enough speed? Or the hard drive itself?

The software is a little tough to understand. I am happy with what I got.

makarov380

reply to makarov380
More info on my problem... it appears my NSLU2 doesn't like my CNet 24 port switch. When I connect to my 8 port Linksys router, it works fine! Also, I can not see traffic to and from the NSLU2 with a sniffer. Linksys support swears it's TCP/IP traffic, but I can't see it. Now that it is Linksys connected, it is respectable. I am concerned that my BaySwitch switch may have the same problem, which would suck! I am real curious why I can't see the traffic... something to ponder.

griff99
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Merrimack, NH
Since your Linksys is a switch and you are trying to sniff the traffic from a PC that is not communicating directly with the unit you WON'T see the traffic. What operating system are you using and what tool are you using to see the traffic?

makarov380

reply to makarov380
Probably right on the switch; I guess I can see everyone because they are wireless through a WAP. I am using Linux and Ethereal. When I try my BaySwitch, I will clone the port and see what's up. I have not been able to connect to the switch with Samba, either. May be possible, I just have to figure out what is happening. It see the shares, but can't close the deal. Kinda screwy

serv

join:2004-06-24
reply to SquareSlinky
Have any of you guys been able to access the NSLU2 fileserver from the internet?

SquareSlinky
Premium
Tampa, FL
I have a BEFSX41 and have it hooked into the DMZ port. The port is off right now, but that would be how I would access it when needed.

Rick Salinas

@67.182.x.x
reply to griff99

I got my NSLu2 and hooked it up. YES is is a Linux Ext3 setup. And yes it does require a full Format thus basically taking your external drive out of service and dedicated to NAS service. Which is ok I guess if you go out and buy another

Has anyone had any sucess resizing a formatted drive (NSLu2 ext3) to something other that the entire drive. Is it possible to put two partitions? Say 100gb NLSU2 (linux ext3) and 60gb NTSF. IE: still hook it up to windows for the 60gb.

Any luck anyone?
please email: ejs3@attbi.com

andresalazar

join:2002-08-13
San Francisco, CA
i cant get mine to format the disk actually- i unmounted my usb drive (80 gig maxtor in an ADS enclosure) which was formatted with NTFS...the format operation from the linksys fails repeatedly.

anyone else see this problem? i would hate to remove the disk from the enclosure and do a low level format, but it might be my only option.

Burkilos

@201-201-24.mc.videot
The NSLU2 will NOT recognize my Acomdata RocketPod 120GB USB2 Hard drive. The Disk light will not light up thus I cannot access the format utility. This USB2 hard drive has worked on every computer I tried. On a side note, the NSLU2 will work with my Pocketec Datastor 40GB but that was not my original intention.

Of course, Linksys support doesn't know anything about the product and assures me the problem is with my Acomdata drive since it's working with another USB drive...

gt7420

join:2002-11-13
Neptune, NJ
reply to SquareSlinky
I got my NSLU2 the other day from Buy.com. I was looking into the other NAS offerings from Linksys, but the price was way too high. Although this one doesn't have the gig port that the EFG250 has, the price was right for a new toy to play with.

I have a Belkin USB 2.0 enclosure with a WD 250GB drive installed. Under Win2K3, the entire drive could be seen. Here's what I get after formatting with the NSLU2:

Disk 1: Type: WDC WD25 00JB-32EVA0
Free Space: 127501 MBytes (100 %)

Has anyone else had this sort of issue? Could it be the Belkin USB enclosure? The drive was originally formatted while conncted to one of the IDE channels in my server. I then moved it to the USB enclosure and it ran fine.

Any thoughts?

griff99
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Merrimack, NH
Sounds like an LBA48 issue. Basically the NSLU2 isn't seeing the full capacity of the drive. Without LBA48 you can't get beyond 127GB. I don't know if it is the Belkin enclosure or the NSLU2 itself but that is most likely the cause of your problems I don't know the solution however I am sorry to say.

gt7420

Neptune, NJ
Thanks for the quick reply.

Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 External Drive Enclosure Kit

Part # F5U209

»catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP···d=125643

Since a pre-formatted 250GB drive seemed to work fine in the Belkin enclosure, and Belkin claims it works with drives up to 250GB, I didn't thank that was the problem, although I now stand corrected:

»www.extremetech.com/print_articl···6,00.asp

Does anyone have any suggestions for a USB 2.0 LBA48 compliant drive enclosure? I'm just glad I couldn't find this model at CompUSA this past week. I'd be stuck with two of them.

gt7420

Neptune, NJ
Actually, a dual drive enclosure with individual USB ports would be perfect for connecting to the NSLU2. Anyone ever see any of these? I was able to find some with individual Firewire ports, but not USB.

SquareSlinky
Premium
Tampa, FL
I broke down and ordered this the other day.

»www.cooldrives.com/2bayfiplusb2.html

I have not received it yet. A little expensive for what I wanted it for, but it has fans to cool the drives and that is a BIG PLUS. I searched everywhere and this was the only external dual enclosure with fans that I could find.

I had problems with my format when I did it also. I spent a little time with Tech Support and figured out the issue. They had me hook straight into the device and not use a router and everything worked from there.

gt7420

Neptune, NJ
I like the enclosure, but I don't think the NSLU2 is going to see both drives. It would take an enclosure with individual ports for each drive, which kind of defeats the purpose of a dual drive USB enclosure. Let me know how it is when you get it.

SquareSlinky
Premium
Tampa, FL
It has individual ports for each drive.

prestonlewis
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-13
Sacramento, CA
reply to Necrosis11
said by Necrosis11:
If this thing was Firewire id get it, but sinse it isnt forget it.

I dont know ANYONE who uses external HDD's via USB.

Since USB2 is faster than Firewire, that doesn't make any sense. I use 2 external USB2 hard drives since my Dell Dimension has a slot for just a single hard drive and the CD-Rom slot won't accept a DVD/CD-Burner combo unit. So I have an external DVD/CD Burner using a USB2 connection, and two hard drives for storing all kinds of stuff.

gt7420

Neptune, NJ

1 edit
reply to SquareSlinky
The description (of the USB external enclosure) says it has one USB port and two Firewire ports.

SquareSlinky
Premium
Tampa, FL
Thank you for pointing that out. I have cancelled my order for the case, as I only wanted it for 2 USB ports. I definitely missed that fact.

FrankyZ

@unknown
reply to SquareSlinky
Does this thing have a built in FTP server as well as an HTTP server?