spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Chiefer
join:2004-07-04

Chiefer to stupidrsx

to stupidrsx

Re: Network Storage Link

How about over the internet? How are you going to access the files on the USB drive? When port 80 is forwarded to a router using the ip address of the nslu2, am I gonna access the web utility, or the ftp part of the device?

Thanks in advance!
Krusty742
join:2004-07-04

Krusty742 to SquareSlinky

to SquareSlinky
Does anyone know how to access the files you put on the NSLU2 throught the internet? any help would be great. Thank you.

FatBoab
@217.30.x.x

FatBoab to CBR600RR

Anon

to CBR600RR
quote:
Cant find any one in the UK selling this (Sob Sob)....
Me neither, but outpost.com have the box for $85 and they will deliver to the UK for another $27, making a total of $112, or about £61

I think I'm off to order it now...

FB

SquareSlinky
Premium Member
join:2004-05-25
Tampa, FL

SquareSlinky

Premium Member

I had asked the same question on another forum a week or so ago. I asked something about port forwarding to make it happen. Here is the part of the response that I have saved (I have not tried it yet):

Yes, your Provider is Blocking the default PORT 80, thats why I recommend setting your NSLU2 to port 8081 (or 8080, or 8085) (these are unused ports). So if you set it up for 8080, you would access it with:

»IPADDRESS:8080

instead of »IPADDRESS
which is the same as
»IPADDRESS:80

because 80 is the default
gt7420
join:2002-11-13
Neptune, NJ

gt7420 to SquareSlinky

to SquareSlinky
SquareSlinky - where did you buy that Kingwin EXSHUTTLE 2000?

Thanks.
jbuzbee
join:2004-07-10
Englewood, CO

jbuzbee to SquareSlinky

to SquareSlinky
Just a couple of things to add. I received my unit yesterday and have been playing with it a bit. I find that as reported elsewhere, it does format the filesystem of the external disk in Linux ext3 format. After initializng my disk using the NSLU2, I plugged it into my OSX box and was able to read it using ext2/3 drivers for OSX.

I've also found a couple of hidden options for enabling telnet and remote logging. I have not yet succeeded in telneting into the box because the standard users do not get assigned a shell (/dev/null) Once I crack the root password, I'll be able to log in and poke around a bit more. I'll update my progress on my web site : »www.batbox.org/wrt54g-linux.html

Jim Buzbee
jbuzbee nyx net
rwhitby
join:2002-01-22
Australia

rwhitby to SquareSlinky

to SquareSlinky
Can anyone here confirm that the source code for the firmware is on the product CD included in the box ?

Anyone able to put that source code up on an FTP site ?

Another question: Is the USB port able to power a USB hub ? (I know that you can't connect more than one drive to each port, but I have other ideas for this unit...)

-- Rod
jbuzbee
Englewood, CO

1 edit

jbuzbee

Yes, source is there. I can't upload it anywhere as it is a couple of hundred meg total. It is grouped in two directories.

Original source:

• 160820248 27 Apr 05:00 snapgear-3.0.0.tar.gz

Modified source :

• 30204 27 Apr 04:37 cgihtml-1.69.tar.gz
  • 3074827 27 Apr 03:45 e2fsprogs-1.34.tar.gz
  • 412314 27 Apr 04:17 libupnp-1.2.1.tar.gz
  • 178240 27 Apr 04:16 quota-3.01-pre7.tar.gz
  • 30515200 27 Apr 04:41 samba-2.2.7b-ja-1.0.tar
  • 40033 27 Apr 04:26 smtpclient-1.0.0.tar.gz
  • 128696 27 Apr 04:16 thttpd-2.23beta1.tar.gz
  • 38770 27 Apr 04:27 udhcp-0.9.6.tar.gz
jbuzbee

jbuzbee to SquareSlinky

to SquareSlinky
I can now telnet into a running NSLU2 device. More information is posted
on my web site :

»www.batbox.org/nslu2-linux.html

Jim Buzbee
jbuzbee nyx net

SquareSlinky
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

SquareSlinky to gt7420

Premium Member

to gt7420
I got the EXShuttle from NEWEGG.com

oshapir
@83.130.x.x

oshapir to SquareSlinky

Anon

to SquareSlinky
Hi,

Does anyone knows if I can use non-english file names on a NSLU2 connected USB2 hard-drive? Like hebrew file names etc.?

Thanks,
O.S.

louist
And So It Goes
Premium Member
join:2001-12-01
Oakland Gardens, NY

louist to SquareSlinky

Premium Member

to SquareSlinky
Anyone consider the D-Link lan attached storage product? If is a completely compatible IP addressed drive. Looks and functions like a full speed ATA 133 drive. $239 HD included.

»www.buy.com/retail/produ ··· 704&sp=5

They make both 20 and 40 GIG versions.

SquareSlinky
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

SquareSlinky

Premium Member

I saw it a while back. It is way to expensive per GB. The linksys device cost me 100, the drive cost me 100, and the case cost me 55. So I got a 160 gb external drive for 255 and I have room to expand.

meinboi
@o1.com

meinboi to SquareSlinky

Anon

to SquareSlinky
Hi,

I just bought this linksys NSLU2 device a few days ago and I found it to be extremely slow when copying larger amounts of files. If I copy a single large file, the transfer rate is as expected, but if I transfer a thousand little file (or even a hundred), a takes hours.

My plan was to move all my game files to this device, but it is currently too slow to launch any game. It takes over 10 minutes for the game to simply start up. When I launch it from a network drive on another PC, the file launches in seconds.

Is this the nature of ext3 format? Is there a way to make it read large amounts of files faster? This is way to slow; the file rate (number of small [0-32k] files it can read/write) it can handle is about 1.5 files per a second and as slow as .2 files per second.

Can it support another format, or is this just because of its slow Samba sharing server? I might have to return this if I cannot find a solution.

curwiler
@benslm01.pa.comcast.

curwiler to griff99

Anon

to griff99
Hi,

If any of you have formatted your disk on the NSLU2 device, would you care to hook it up to a linux system and tell us what the partitions are on the device? Until Linksys gets a new firmware created, I can't format my drive on the device, either, and I don't want to wait for them to come through.

Thanks.
-Chuck
dmskahuna
join:2004-07-12
Frisco, TX

dmskahuna to jbuzbee

to jbuzbee
any chance of getting the details on how to get telnet up and working? I got a problem where I appear to crash the nslu2 during long file transfers. It would be nice if I could login and monitor what is going on...

Thanks in advance... Dave
dmskahuna

dmskahuna to curwiler

to curwiler
I just put mine on linux - The disk is a 80G disk and the nslu2 created 3 partitions:

1 - EXT3 the main disk 78G
2 - EXT3 120M partition
3 - 56M Linux SWAP

Partition 2 has the stuff that usually is in /etc
I can tar it up and put it somewhere if you like, just let me know.

Dave
jbuzbee
Englewood, CO

1 edit

jbuzbee to dmskahuna

to dmskahuna
Enabling telnet

It's a mult-step process to enable telnet. I'm using the latest firmware from Linksys, it may or may not work with other versions.

First, mount a NSLU2 initialized hard drive on a box that understands ext2/3 format. I use OSX, but obviously Linux would be easier. There are also drivers for windows boxes. I found that the OSX drivers only work well with firewire, not USB2.

Find the passwd file in the second ext3 partition.

Replace the encrypted password for root with the encrypted password from a know account e.g. admin. If you are not familar with the format, it's the second field delimited by colons.

Plug the drive back into the NSLU2 and fire it up.

execute the URL http :// your ip /Management/telnet.cgi

Select the option to turn on telnet

telnet in as root using the password for the known account. The passwd change appears to hold over power-cycles, but the enabling of telnet does not.

Jim Buzbee
jbuzbee@nyx.net
jbuzbee

jbuzbee to curwiler

to curwiler
Re: disk partitions

I don't think you can easily partition the disk outside of the NSLU2. A number of configuration files are copied to the small partition, including passwd, group, smb configuration files, etc. There also appear to be flash configuration settings that get applied when a drive is initialized:

[harddisk]
validhd=1:0
invalidhd=0:0

Jim Buzbee
jbuzbee@nyx.net

curwiler
@benslm01.pa.comcast.

curwiler to dmskahuna

Anon

to dmskahuna
dmskahuna,

Interesting.... when I hooked mine up to linux, it showed these three partitions... so maybe I don't have the /etc stuff that you mention that's in partition 2.
Anything in partition 1? Doubt it but thought it worth asking.
Why this firmware won't format my drive is beyond me. It's obviously set the partitions.
-Chuck
curwiler

curwiler to jbuzbee

Anon

to jbuzbee
Jim,

Where did you find these settings that you mention?

While I understand I can't do it easily, it beats not being able to use the NSLU2 device at all!

-Chuck

SquareSlinky
Premium Member
Tampa, FL

SquareSlinky

Premium Member

Call tech support. Ask for Level 2 support. Answer their questions in level 1 but let them know the frustrations you have and they will put you through to level 2.
dmskahuna
join:2004-07-12
Frisco, TX

dmskahuna to curwiler

to curwiler
No.. Partition 1 only had items that I had copied there while testing.

However, from my playing with the device, it does not appear (to me anyway) that this device is overly stable. I have two USB enclosures attached to the nslu2, the first being a new 250G WD drive, and the second being an 80G disk that I moved from my linux server. Just simply copying files to and from the HD's will eventually crash the nslu2. Sometimes I can copy 20-30G successfully and others it dies in the first 2-4G.

I think I need to move the enclosures back to my linux box to ensure that I didn't break something while moving the drives around...

-Dave

curwiler
@benslm01.pa.comcast.

curwiler to SquareSlinky

Anon

to SquareSlinky
Now ain't this weird.... I turned the thing on this morning, and voila, it frickin' works. So the format was working but I guess it had completely lost its connection or something like that. Oh, and the latest firmware probably had something to do with it.
I hope this newer firmware is more stable... so far I'm not entirely thrilled with the device. I really don't like being forced into formatting the drive for the device - now I *have* to set up a linux box so I can get the files off should this thing die.
-Chuck

kristoffer
@k287.webspeed.dk

kristoffer

Anon

Try using this to extract files from your nslu2 formatted USB disk under Windows :

»uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~j ··· e2fs.htm

I have succesfully extracted files from my 300 GB Maxtor drive.

mvh
Kristoffer

FrankyZ
@unknown

FrankyZ

Anon

Anyone figured out a way to display the HTTP file listing without holding the case sensitivity? (i.e. right now all caps are listed before lower case).

Farfarse
@2305-1-64736c10.cust

Farfarse to SquareSlinky

Anon

to SquareSlinky
Has anyone tested NSLU2 with Lacie Big Disk 500gb or 1TG ?

curwiler
@benslm01.pa.comcast.

curwiler to dmskahuna

Anon

to dmskahuna
Hey, I'm having the same problem now... turns out that while I'm in the middle of copying the files, something breaks and the copying stops. A little investigation shows that all the files on the NSLU2 drive have become read only! Of course, restarting the NSLU2 clears that little problem... any one know a solution yet? Restarting is tiring...

ctouchet
@sub-199-74-155.myvzw

ctouchet

Anon

New firmware released may fix this problem.

I have had no problems with file xferrs dieing at all yet.

I'm using a Netdisk (Network part only worked with windows)but it also had Usb 2.0 connectivity and works great with the NSLU2.

JohnJones
@unknown

JohnJones to SquareSlinky

Anon

to SquareSlinky
We are having problems during heavy use and the thing goes into read only mode. Even rebooting the thing does not fix the problem. So right now I have a read only device.

Anybody have a fix for thing?

Thanks!