Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

curwiler

@benslm01.pa.comcast.
reply to jbuzbee

Re: Network Storage Link

Jim,

Where did you find these settings that you mention?

While I understand I can't do it easily, it beats not being able to use the NSLU2 device at all!

-Chuck

SquareSlinky
Premium
join:2004-05-25
Tampa, FL
reply to SquareSlinky
Call tech support. Ask for Level 2 support. Answer their questions in level 1 but let them know the frustrations you have and they will put you through to level 2.

dmskahuna

join:2004-07-12
Frisco, TX
reply to curwiler
No.. Partition 1 only had items that I had copied there while testing.

However, from my playing with the device, it does not appear (to me anyway) that this device is overly stable. I have two USB enclosures attached to the nslu2, the first being a new 250G WD drive, and the second being an 80G disk that I moved from my linux server. Just simply copying files to and from the HD's will eventually crash the nslu2. Sometimes I can copy 20-30G successfully and others it dies in the first 2-4G.

I think I need to move the enclosures back to my linux box to ensure that I didn't break something while moving the drives around...

-Dave

curwiler

@benslm01.pa.comcast.
reply to SquareSlinky
Now ain't this weird.... I turned the thing on this morning, and voila, it frickin' works. So the format was working but I guess it had completely lost its connection or something like that. Oh, and the latest firmware probably had something to do with it.
I hope this newer firmware is more stable... so far I'm not entirely thrilled with the device. I really don't like being forced into formatting the drive for the device - now I *have* to set up a linux box so I can get the files off should this thing die.
-Chuck

kristoffer

@k287.webspeed.dk
Try using this to extract files from your nslu2 formatted USB disk under Windows :

»uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/···e2fs.htm

I have succesfully extracted files from my 300 GB Maxtor drive.

mvh
Kristoffer

FrankyZ

@unknown
Anyone figured out a way to display the HTTP file listing without holding the case sensitivity? (i.e. right now all caps are listed before lower case).

Farfarse

@2305-1-64736c10.cust
reply to SquareSlinky
Has anyone tested NSLU2 with Lacie Big Disk 500gb or 1TG ?

curwiler

@benslm01.pa.comcast.
reply to dmskahuna
Hey, I'm having the same problem now... turns out that while I'm in the middle of copying the files, something breaks and the copying stops. A little investigation shows that all the files on the NSLU2 drive have become read only! Of course, restarting the NSLU2 clears that little problem... any one know a solution yet? Restarting is tiring...

ctouchet

@sub-199-74-155.myvzw
New firmware released may fix this problem.

I have had no problems with file xferrs dieing at all yet.

I'm using a Netdisk (Network part only worked with windows)but it also had Usb 2.0 connectivity and works great with the NSLU2.

JohnJones

@unknown
reply to SquareSlinky
We are having problems during heavy use and the thing goes into read only mode. Even rebooting the thing does not fix the problem. So right now I have a read only device.

Anybody have a fix for thing?

Thanks!

curwiler

@benslm01.pa.comcast.
John,

Try this. Power down the NSLU2, then power down your drive. Now power up the drive, and turn on the NSLU2. This has always cleared up the read-only problem for me whenever it's occurred.

Obviously Linksys haven't tested this NSLU2 device with any kind of large file copying or heavy use, as you and I (and several others here, too) can attest. My problem was trying to put the files back on the device that I had to move off as they wanted their own darned format (ext3 instead of FAT32 or NTFS). If they had let me use the current format of the drive, this wouldn't have even been a problem!

-Chuck

TILos2

@12.106.x.x
reply to SquareSlinky
Mind you I have a lot of Linksys stuff (PrintServer, Wireless-G Booster and cards, VPN router, hubs, Media adapter, etc.)

I had such a nightmare time trying to get the VPN Router to accept just direct Windows XP vpn client connections I gave up.

If your are interested in connecting Drives to the network you might want to try the US Robotics 8200.

- It has two USB 2.0 ports and a Firewire port for external drives.
-It has the simplest VPN setup to connect users and other systems to.
- It supports an FTP site as well.
- The drives can be formatted with EXT3 or FAT

This USR solution is the only non-Linksys product I have on my network and its a gem.

XaN2

join:2003-08-07
reply to SquareSlinky

Are these speeds normal?

I got the NSL a few days a ago and am liking it so far but I'm a little disappointed with the transfer rates, not sure if this is what it is capable of..

Using DU meter I average a transfer rate of 40MBit/sec Up and down, takes 10 sec to transfer 50 meg file witch is not too bad but at 100Mbit full duplex connection it would take half that (I average 80Mbit/sec from computer to computer). I see your getting the same SquareSlinky, take 5 seconds for 25mb file for me as well. I got the Ximeta NetDisk and have the NSL hook up to the WRT54G router. So is this normal? am I expecting to much? Using DU meter what do you guys get?

Also did you guys have to put a EMI core on your Ethernet cable? It's weird cause you don't put these on other Ethernet cables that go to your router or computer. what radiation is the NSL producing?

-XaN-II

curwiler

@benslm01.pa.comcast.
Yes, I had to put that core on my cable, too. Looked like a little bit of an afterthought, as there was an additional instruction sheet for the core.

I'm not terribly happy with the performance, but honestly I'm more worried about the read-only mode I keep hitting when copying a large file to the thing. 'tis quite annoying.

Maybe I should consider that USR 8200 instead...

-Chuck

SquareSlinky
Premium
join:2004-05-25
Tampa, FL
reply to TILos2

The 8200 looks very interesting, but the cost is way more than what I wanted to spend for this solution. I use this thing for storing and playing music, and backing up my work and home computers.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

2 edits
reply to curwiler

Re: Are these speeds normal?

I've beat on mine a lot in the short time I've had it. My whole home LAN is gigabit and I had 3 backups and some humungous files copies to the NSLU2 going on simultaneously over several hours and I did not experience the read-only issue. I do wish the NSLU2 was a gigabit device though.
Running 2.3r24 firmware.
XP-Pro SP1 across the board.
2 Maxtor 160GB back end drives.
I do notice the more I beat on it the slower the clock runs. It's dropping clock ticks in the OS since a reboot gets the time back to normal.
J
--
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

As the number of components in a system approaches Infinity the Mean-Time-Between-Failures approaches Zero.

curwiler

@benslm01.pa.comcast.
Sounds like they only tested w/ Maxtor drives then. I'm using an Iomega external drive.

If anyone from Linksys is reading (yea, right), *please* test w/ other mfg drives and release new firmware as soon as you can, or ppl won't buy your product!!

-Chuck

JimMD

@unknown
I am using a 250 GB Maxtor drive and have the R/O issue when copying large amounts of data. Sometimes a reboot will not fix the problem, I have to turn it off for (let's say) an hour and that fixes the problem 90% of the time. Once I get all of the data on to it I will not have to move the large amounts but as we all know because of the format deal all the data needs to be copied over.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
reply to SquareSlinky

Here is a new one.
Maxtor 160GB drives (One-Touch) both USB1 and USB2.
Scheduled restart nightly at 11:30 PM to reset the clock.
Scandisk both DISK1 and DISK2 nightly at midnight.
Backup DISK1->DISK2 nightly at 1:00 am

This scenario ran well for 3 days. This morning I could not access the mapped DISK 1 drive.
The web interface showed DISK 1 as "unformatted" and DISK 2 as 100% empty (normally same percent free as DISK 1).
Log showed the scandisk had failed on DISK 1 after the scandisk on DISK 2 succeeded.

A restart of the NSLU2 got DISK 1 back online but DISK 2 (the backup drive) still showed 100% empty so all my backed up data is gone.

Not a good thing.

So did DISK 1 really have a scandisk issue? Not sure. I will backup DISK 1 to DISK 2 and try a manual scandisk on DISK 1 later but I don't think any failed DISK 1 operation should wipe out all the data on DISK 2.

J
--
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

As the number of components in a system approaches Infinity the Mean-Time-Between-Failures approaches Zero.

watben58

join:2002-12-10
reply to SquareSlinky
Considering the price, formatting drive and the speed you guys were talking about in this thread i prefer to stay with my USB external case at 60$ CAN So i can put the drive i want. Yes it is not share like yours on the network but works well connected in a computer.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
said by watben58:
Yes it is not share like yours on the network but works well connected in a computer.

And therein the problem lies. If you don't need sharing you don't need the NSLU2. But if you do need the features it's a nice entry level appliance.
J
--

watben58

join:2002-12-10
reply to SquareSlinky
Yes sorry was not really clear. I share it but some mention something like need to format a drive when you put in. What will you do if all the info his on this drive ? Works better with a Maxtor drive someone says.

JimThePCGuy
Premium,MVM
Morton Grove, IL
reply to SquareSlinky

6 backup job limitation not an issue

If you've had an issue creating more than 6 backup jobs for the NSLU2 I have found a workaround.
Instead of adding a job with the "Add New Job" button just use the "Modify" of an existing job.
Be sure to change the "Name" of the existing job to the name of your new job, change the settings as appropriate and when finished click"Modify" and a new job will be created without the 6 job limit. The window displaying the existing jobs becomes scrollable.
Hope this helps.
J
--

kerons

join:2004-07-22
reply to SquareSlinky

We just bought the Linksys Network Storage Link. It does NOT work with MAC OS 9.

We're in the process of updating everything to OSX, but aren't completely there yet. We were able to connect to it via our OSX box as well as access send stuff cross-platform.

cginger

join:2004-08-30
Minneapolis, MN
reply to SquareSlinky
SquareSlinky,

By "device" do you mean the nslu2, or the iomega HD?

Sorry if I am being thick-headed, but I'm still not exactly sure what you are suggesting.

I'd really appreciate any additional guidance you can provide, as I'm quite deperate to get the NSLU@ working with Iomega HD. Like the other poster -- I can never even succesfully complete the format operation.

Thanks!

mark_p

@b2b2c.ca
reply to SquareSlinky
i'm getting about 400k/s upload speed in windows xp/sp2 from external usb 2.0 hard disk to ext3 usb 2.0 network hard disk. any ideas why this is going SO slowly?

mark_p

@b2b2c.ca
(btw i'm using a dlink 614+ router)

Kanwar

@202.41.x.x
reply to SquareSlinky
disk with the FAT/FAT32 file system can be connected to the Network Storage Link (NSLU2). The only limitation is that the NSLU2 User and Group permissions cannot be applied.
Only Disk drives that have been formatted using the NSLU2 will be able to use the user and group permissions.

note: i am not sure if u can do backups to FAT(32) using NSLU2 util.

1>
Open a web browser such as Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator.
In the “Address” field, type in the IP Address of the NSLU2 (192.168.1.77 is the default IP address of the Network Storage Link) and then click on the GO button or hit the [Enter] key.
After doing this, the “Home” screen of the NSLU2 will appear. Click on DISK 2 (Public Data) sub-tab to access the files on the disk.

2>
Click on Start and then Run.
In the Open field, type input the \\IPADDRESS (192.168.1.77 is the default IP Address of the NSLU2) or \\Server Name. (For example: \\LKG0F818C. The server name can be found on the device’s Home page in the web-based setup utility.)
This will bring up Network Places Window (see screenshot below).