share rss forum feed

rogue_
I Have A Secret Window
Premium
join:2001-10-17
Lake Hiawatha, NJ
reply to Kobra007

Re: Kobra's Antivirus SHOWDOWN results.

I did not see PC-cillin Anti Virus listed. Why not? I get daily updates and it works well with a small footprint.
--
Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating.

-ntl-

@arcor-ip.net

1 recommendation

reply to Kobra007
@FF

"In my mind the NOD settings, Deep or Advanced heuristics, doesn't have so big difference. In my 1378 infected samples collection, NOD with Deep heuristics scored 1024 and NOD with Advanced Heuristics module installed (and Deep Heur. position selected) scored 1026, those two more detections were in my 365 worms category. So, what's the difference against the whole?"

I believe this depends on the testbed used. When I use one of my testbeds NOD32 /w Deep heuristics detects 193 of 553 samples. By contrast, NOD32 /w Advanced heuristics detects 360 of 553 samples.

Therefore, it is quite important to know about the samples contained in a testbed. Without such information it is quite hard to adequately characterize a scanner.

Acoustimass
Premium
join:2002-11-07
Canada
reply to rogue_
said by rogue_:
I did not see PC-cillin Anti Virus listed. Why not? I get daily updates and it works well with a small footprint.

FYI:
Trend = Trend Micro = PC-cillin.

FF again

join:2003-06-13
Finland
reply to Kobra007
To -ntl- from ff again!

Maybe u were right. But we have to remember that NOD AH is focused primarily against ITW worms. ITW VIRUSES are only some 21 new viruses per month, that is a bit over 250 new VIRUSES per year.

I am just now making my own scan comparing MKS_VIR 2004 with AH and NOD with AH against my 1378 infected samples. So far MKS seems to be VERY promising against those samples that it was not able to detect without heuristics at all.

By the way, my collection seems to be quite "HOT", because MKS and NOD had detected several new detections within a sort of time, MKS within 24 hours and NOD between updates 1.789 and 1.791. I have not submitted any sample to anyone.

Best regards,
FF again!

BrettStarr
Premium
join:2003-11-07
Las Vegas, NV

2 recommendations

reply to Wildcatboy
said by Wildcatboy:

OK folks get back to the subject please and discuss the test.
OK
-
Seems there are quite a few discrepancies between Korba test and Virus Bulletin tests. For example, Virus Bulletin has CAT Quickheal as very good, and Korba says it sucks.
»www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/···ml?table
-
In any event, I think Korba test might be a little slighted toward Extendia (like he used his custom-tailored virus list ). Also, regardless of Extendia ratings, I would not buy their product because their customer support and services suck too (as mentioned in another thread).
I go with AV I am confident with in both product and service!...and Extendia ain't one of 'em.
-
Yours truly, Brett
-
horn broke. watch finger.
Expand your moderator at work

FF again

join:2003-06-13
Finland
reply to Kobra007

What has eXtendia support (or F-secure) to do with reality, when Kaspersky support is like a silk. Those both have KAV engines, Please, send your proplems to Kaspersky, and they will all to be gone concerning to detecting issues.

Best regards,
FF again!

Kobra007

join:2004-06-15
Longwood, FL

1 edit
FF, thanks for posting the info. My testing showed that NOD32 Advanced Heuristics with the Eset provided shell, made no difference whatsoever - at least on my samples. So i'm not shocked they only made the difference on 2 detections with your personal samples. It gives me some reassurances knowning someone like you can give some re-inforcement to my results with this particular product. MKS on the other hand, has the most advanced heuristical AI detection levels i've ever seen.

Before you discredit my scores with CAT Quickheal, i've spoken with the developers there and have gotten answers from them, here was what I was told:

"Quickheal has very good detection rates of current ITW viruses. But they do not detect older viruses. (and some of your viruses have been around a bit) Hence the low rates on your tests. Quick Heal version 1.xx through 5.xx were sold only in india and only detected viruses that were ITW in india. Version 6 was the first version to go globally. Detection will get better soon."

Its a little more re-assuring to me, now that i'm getting back information from various AV companies about the results. So far so good, and everything back from them has been positive for the most part.

Once again, it was an honest effort, I have no biased motives (No Rezjor isn't me, hes well known on the avast forums), and I simply wanted to test all of the AVs on an equal footing for curiosity. But its still refreshing to hear back from people like CAT, not denying my results, and telling me exactly why they scored bad. Its just a pity some of the users of these products can't seem to handle bad news.

Regards.

Concerned Netizen

@state.md.us

BrettStarr
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to Kobra007
said by Kobra007:
Before you discredit my scores with CAT Quickheal, i've spoken with the developers there and have gotten answers from them, here was what I was told:
"Quickheal has very good detection rates of current ITW viruses. But they do not detect older viruses. (and some of your viruses have been around a bit)
Kobra, you said this...
Testbed consisted of 321 Viruses, Trojans and Worms, all for the Windows32 environment, and all reasonably new samples.
---
Well, I am totally confused.???

stan999
Premium
join:2001-11-19
Fort Worth, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Concerned Netizen

Kobra007

Longwood, FL
reply to BrettStarr
Depends on your definition of reasonably new. I consider most around a year or so to be reasonably new, a couple older. Etc.

Love how the anonymous turds keep chiming in.. LMAO Priceless for humor. But like I said, CAT folks were really gracious about it, and they got full samples from me to evaluate, and what I heard back was good stuff. As they shore up their database with worldwide threats, and somewhat older samples, they should do great. Up until a couple months ago, CAT was only focus on Indian ITW threats, so its unlikely to even have a database for most of the 2003, and early 2004 worldwide threats.

It was a fun test, thanks for all the input. The response from the AV companies in general has been positive, and in the end, if it results in better products, maybe I accomplished something. Maybe some awareness for other products to at least check out was spurred.. At the very least I found MKS and tested it, and from what I can tell, I might be the first english speaking tester to ever test the product. In the process, I found the AV that met my needs fully, which was the whole purpose of it anyway.

BrettStarr
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

2 recommendations

said by Kobra007:
Depends on your definition of reasonably new.
Oh, I see. Kind of like what Bill Clinton said...

"depends on what your definition of the word is is"
-

-
I just bought a reasonably new car (1968 Pontiac)

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-20

2 recommendations

reply to Kobra007
said by Kobra007:

Love how the anonymous turds keep chiming in..

I don't find anonymous tirds near as annoying as people who pretend to be someone else online!

The response from the AV companies in general has been positive
You keep mentioning these responces from the AV companies.....care to share what they are actually saying?

Keizer

Kobra007

Longwood, FL
I just posted what CAT folks said didn't I?

I appreciate the input though, i'm going to be gathering approximately 10 times more samples over the next couple months. A couple other testers/virus tracking hobbiests have graciously offered to share samples with me now after reading this test. So looks like i'll have some help on the next round, not sure when i'll get the time to do it, maybe in a couple of months or so.

Best wishes, and see you in a couple of months or so. Maybe by then, some of the companies will have more than just a "Heuristic Checkbox" in their product..

JimIT

join:2003-06-25
Fort Worth, TX

2 recommendations

reply to Martinus
said by Martinus:
A couple of final words to this whole misery to point out that the validity of this test has also been dismissed by Kaspersky Labs.
Bump.

BrettStarr
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to Kobra007

said by Kobra007:
Best wishes, and see you in a couple of months or so. Maybe by then, some of the companies will have more than just a "Heuristic Checkbox" in their product..
Yea, and maybe your friends at eXtendia will tell the truth too!... how can they win a Microsoft award for their AV when that award DOES NOT EXIST! Peoples Security Choice LOL .
»www.extendia.com
-
See ya in a few months.

Kobra007

Longwood, FL
1) MSD2D doesn't exist? The site is owned by Microsoft as a developer to developer resource. They yearly, award various products in various catagories. Maybe you need to brush up on your google skills.

2) I don't see "Kaspersky Labs" dismissing anything. All I see is one guy at a reseller for the KAV product, questioning 2 samples in a 321 sample set. In fact, hes questioning that the extended database picked up 2 samples, which i've verified to be malicious with 6 labs. So I think its pointless to argue something so trivial as this.

Seems like people people like to argue, for the sake of argueing, and quite honestly, it *IS* entertaining. But at some point you just have to ask "why". Maybe I will bundle up my next test, put it on a "Pay" website, and make AV developers pay $1000.00 a year to see the logs and full detailed test reports, and get something out of the next test other than angry fanboys mad their products didn't stack up. Sounds like a plan to me!

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-20

1 recommendation

said by Kobra007:
1)
Maybe I will bundle up my next test, put it on a "Pay" website, and make AV developers pay $1000.00 a year to see the logs and full detailed test reports, and get something out of the next test other than angry fanboys mad their products didn't stack up. Sounds like a plan to me!

Well at least we finally know what you require to get any details about your tests!

Keizer

BrettStarr
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

reply to Kobra007
said by Kobra007:
1) MSD2D doesn't exist? The site is owned by Microsoft as a developer to developer resource. They yearly, award various products in various catagories. Maybe you need to brush up on your google skills.
Perhaps YOU better brush up on your google skills. Doesn't look like MSD2D is owned by Microsoft to me!
-
I stand by original post ... there is no such MICROSOFT AWARD!
-
See ya.

BrettStarr
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

1 edit
reply to Kobra007
edit: duplicate post. sorry.

Schouw
Premium
join:2003-05-29
Netherlands

2 recommendations

reply to Kobra007
said by Kobra007:
2) I don't see "Kaspersky Labs" dismissing anything. All I see is one guy at a reseller for the KAV product, questioning 2 samples in a 321 sample set.
You want a statement?
Here's your statement: Kaspersky Labs dismisses this 'test'.

quote:
Maybe I will bundle up my next test, put it on a "Pay" website, and make AV developers pay $1000.00 a year to see the logs and full detailed test reports, and get something out of the next test other than angry fanboys mad their products didn't stack up. Sounds like a plan to me!

I won't even comment on this..

happin_in

join:2003-09-25

1 recommendation

reply to Kobra007
That one fella is Igor who works for Kav Labs in moscow and the moderator of the unofficial Kav forum . Im my understanding it was rather obvious what he was saying.

StraitShoot
Who Loves Ya Baby? - Theo Kojak
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Clinton, MA
kudos:1

2 recommendations

I'm trying to be nice, but all I want to know is What the testbed consisted of, BECAUSE HE IS AN AMATEUR VIRUS TESTER!!!, and now he wants to charge for the list of samples... But he won't tell us what they are..LOL.. Let's just "blow this clambake"..LOL
--
"In Every Revolution, There's One Man ... With a Vision!

BrettStarr
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

said by StraitShoot:
... Let's just "blow this clambake"..LOL
Yea. I think it's about time...

Cousin Dave
Trendsetter
Premium
join:2002-10-29