Premium Member

to SquareSlinky

Re: Network Storage Link

quote:
"IMPORTANT: The Storage Link's format
is NOT compatible with Windows. You
cannot swap USB hard drives between
Windows systems and the Storage Link."
that's kind of beat the purpose of removable storage if it's not compatible with anything else. but as long as you can upgrade the drive to a bigger size, then reformat using linksys format, i guess it's alright.

but how robust is linknsys's format compared to NTFS5? i think this is the most important of all.
ThisGuy2
join:2004-04-08

ThisGuy2

How robust does it really need to be to transfer at most 100Mbps?

griff99
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Merrimack, NH

griff99 to gudel

Premium Member

to gudel
Since both of the EFG120 and EFG80 products use GPL firmware, ie: Linux and since so many of the other products Linksys is now making are Linux based, it is my guess that this product is using a Linux based filesytem which is why it is not compatible with Windows. If it is something like EXT3 or ReiserFS then the format should be very stable in as compared to something like NTFS5. However since I don't have one, nor do I have an immediate need for one I am only speculating.
gudel
System Lord
Premium Member
join:2004-06-03
USA

gudel to ThisGuy2

Premium Member

to ThisGuy2
said by ThisGuy2:
How robust does it really need to be to transfer at most 100Mbps?

speed is irrelevant here. you can be doing slow write/read, but if FS is no good, you'll get erratic performance or worst, errors. Ever use Fat16/Fat32? robust such that it has transaction journals so problems such as disconnection or power issue does not affect the last read/write. that robust.
ThisGuy2
join:2004-04-08

ThisGuy2

And where do these filesystems struggle??? When they are trying to go fast, so even if the file system isn't that great, at that speed it most likely wouldn't be noticed...

hunter44102
@158.xx.68.ptr.us.xo.

hunter44102

Anon

I ordered the NSLU2 (Linksys Network storage Link) also.

My big question is, what kind of performance does it have, especially if there are about 5-6 people in an office that may be accessing files at the same time.

I will have to do some testing and find out if I can crash the sucker!

-hunter
kkcolor
join:2001-11-06
Portland, OR

kkcolor to ThisGuy2

to ThisGuy2
I am using an Linksys EtherFast Instant GigaDrive (EFG80)network attached storage at work, and it's speed is, oh... sucky. It cannot transfer over about 50M without amazing slowdowns and stops in the transfer. It can take 5 or 10 minutes to transfer 125M to it from a windows box. I think this thing is a POS, and would never recommend it to anyone.

xillusionx
@lwrnce01.in.comcast.

xillusionx

Anon

lol.
I can crash anything that has been put in my hands that I have tested. I was thinking this would be good but now I am starting to think not because of reformating it, I got the thing pretty well loaded as it is , I dont have any space on the pc to store all of that. i have a 120gig hd with data it is filled with even da couple dvds that I own are on it because I watch them frequently and is to lazy to swap and shit easyer to to point to another folder. Even with the dvds deleted still to much data left.

-illusion
Ps. I was willing to buy it out and try it until they wanted me to reformat "MY shit" to some other format just because.
nauticos
join:2001-03-20
Ellicott City, MD

nauticos to griff99

to griff99
Got possible info on file systems for the NSLU2, it will use the open source Lustre file system see link below

»www.clusterfs.com/

Rick Salinas
@67.182.x.x

Rick Salinas to griff99

Anon

to griff99

I got my NSLu2 and hooked it up. YES is is a Linux Ext3 setup. And yes it does require a full Format thus basically taking your external drive out of service and dedicated to NAS service. Which is ok I guess if you go out and buy another

Has anyone had any sucess resizing a formatted drive (NSLu2 ext3) to something other that the entire drive. Is it possible to put two partitions? Say 100gb NLSU2 (linux ext3) and 60gb NTSF. IE: still hook it up to windows for the 60gb.

Any luck anyone?
please email: ejs3@attbi.com
andresalazar
join:2002-08-13
San Francisco, CA

andresalazar

i cant get mine to format the disk actually- i unmounted my usb drive (80 gig maxtor in an ADS enclosure) which was formatted with NTFS...the format operation from the linksys fails repeatedly.

anyone else see this problem? i would hate to remove the disk from the enclosure and do a low level format, but it might be my only option.

Burkilos
@201-201-24.mc.videot

Burkilos

Anon

The NSLU2 will NOT recognize my Acomdata RocketPod 120GB USB2 Hard drive. The Disk light will not light up thus I cannot access the format utility. This USB2 hard drive has worked on every computer I tried. On a side note, the NSLU2 will work with my Pocketec Datastor 40GB but that was not my original intention.

Of course, Linksys support doesn't know anything about the product and assures me the problem is with my Acomdata drive since it's working with another USB drive...
makarov380
join:2004-03-29

makarov380 to andresalazar

to andresalazar
I had the same problem initially. I am using an Argosy usb/firewire enclosure. I have ordered a usb/ide cable set so I can make my own enclosure; hopefully they play nice. I rebooted the Linksys and went back in and it formatted fine after that. I reformatted a couple of time just to make sure it was a fluke. One week in and it is doing OK now.
howrman
join:2000-07-08
Philadelphia, PA

howrman to Rick Salinas

to Rick Salinas
said by Rick Salinas:

And yes it does require a full Format thus basically taking your external drive out of service

The documentation certainly states that you need for reformat the USB hard drive attached to the NSLU2. However, when I had some trouble getting one of my computers to see the drive behind the NSLU2, Linksys technical support advised me not to use the NSLU2's formatting tool and to instead format the drive through Windows. This makes no sense to me, but Linksys insisted that a drive formatted in this way could be used with the NSLU2. Since I was eventually able to get the computer to see the drive as formatted with the NSLU2, I have not yet tried this fix.

curwiler
@benslm01.pa.comcast.

curwiler to griff99

Anon

to griff99
Hi,

If any of you have formatted your disk on the NSLU2 device, would you care to hook it up to a linux system and tell us what the partitions are on the device? Until Linksys gets a new firmware created, I can't format my drive on the device, either, and I don't want to wait for them to come through.

Thanks.
-Chuck
dmskahuna
join:2004-07-12
Frisco, TX

dmskahuna

I just put mine on linux - The disk is a 80G disk and the nslu2 created 3 partitions:

1 - EXT3 the main disk 78G
2 - EXT3 120M partition
3 - 56M Linux SWAP

Partition 2 has the stuff that usually is in /etc
I can tar it up and put it somewhere if you like, just let me know.

Dave
jbuzbee
join:2004-07-10
Englewood, CO

jbuzbee to curwiler

to curwiler
Re: disk partitions

I don't think you can easily partition the disk outside of the NSLU2. A number of configuration files are copied to the small partition, including passwd, group, smb configuration files, etc. There also appear to be flash configuration settings that get applied when a drive is initialized:

[harddisk]
validhd=1:0
invalidhd=0:0

Jim Buzbee
jbuzbee@nyx.net

curwiler
@benslm01.pa.comcast.

curwiler to dmskahuna

Anon

to dmskahuna
dmskahuna,

Interesting.... when I hooked mine up to linux, it showed these three partitions... so maybe I don't have the /etc stuff that you mention that's in partition 2.
Anything in partition 1? Doubt it but thought it worth asking.
Why this firmware won't format my drive is beyond me. It's obviously set the partitions.
-Chuck
curwiler

curwiler to jbuzbee

Anon

to jbuzbee
Jim,

Where did you find these settings that you mention?

While I understand I can't do it easily, it beats not being able to use the NSLU2 device at all!

-Chuck
dmskahuna
join:2004-07-12
Frisco, TX

dmskahuna to curwiler

to curwiler
No.. Partition 1 only had items that I had copied there while testing.

However, from my playing with the device, it does not appear (to me anyway) that this device is overly stable. I have two USB enclosures attached to the nslu2, the first being a new 250G WD drive, and the second being an 80G disk that I moved from my linux server. Just simply copying files to and from the HD's will eventually crash the nslu2. Sometimes I can copy 20-30G successfully and others it dies in the first 2-4G.

I think I need to move the enclosures back to my linux box to ensure that I didn't break something while moving the drives around...

-Dave

curwiler
@benslm01.pa.comcast.

curwiler

Anon

Hey, I'm having the same problem now... turns out that while I'm in the middle of copying the files, something breaks and the copying stops. A little investigation shows that all the files on the NSLU2 drive have become read only! Of course, restarting the NSLU2 clears that little problem... any one know a solution yet? Restarting is tiring...

ctouchet
@sub-199-74-155.myvzw

ctouchet

Anon

New firmware released may fix this problem.

I have had no problems with file xferrs dieing at all yet.

I'm using a Netdisk (Network part only worked with windows)but it also had Usb 2.0 connectivity and works great with the NSLU2.