how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

grasshopper

join:2003-04-07
Port Byron, NY

TWCNY erratic speeds.

Any good guesses as to why speed test results would drop by half in twelve hours? I tried RR e-mail support. They just tell you to call the national help line. I don't think a problem in central New York will be solved by a tech in Canada. Line quality showed high latency in last hop.

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-10
Baldwin, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
It would be helpful to view some of these test and give us a bit more information:

•Run a speed test at »nyc.speakeasy.net
•Open Command Prompt and type:

tracert nyc.speakeasy.net -- Copy and paste the data here.

•Do you have a router?
•What cable modem do you have?
--
We Can Help you trap the bad guy by visiting our BBR Security Forum! He won't escape!

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
Here are the results of the line quality test. »/speedresults/···/1427850 No router. Modem is Motorola SB4101.

Kip patterson
Premium
join:2000-10-23
Columbus, OH
Looks like you might have a virus or other malware on your computer.

Have you done a scan for both recently?

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
Baldwin, NY
reply to grasshopper
grasshopper See Profile

What happened to the tracert and what happened to the speed test I asked you to run?

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
The tracert command wasn't recognizied. Speeds were fine this morning , but, are like this now. »/speedtests/20···87768272
Normal for me is about 2900 down and 350 up.

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
reply to Kip patterson
said by Kip patterson:
Looks like you might have a virus or other malware on your computer.

Have you done a scan for both recently?

I do both every day. Check for updates too. I'm sure this is a Road Runner problem. Help desk is just useless.

ClarkKent0

join:2004-04-25
Waterloo, ON
reply to grasshopper
What OS are you on?

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
XP home

Tom Mc

join:2004-06-17
reply to grasshopper
I'm also on twcny, but over in Holland Patent (near Utica). Just for reference, I usually get 2900 or even more at »www.solutions4sure.com//speed.asp
and right now just got 2397.

At speakeasy, which I wouldn't normally use, I just got 2514 down and 144 up.

So, perhaps twcny is a little off right now.

Kip patterson
Premium
join:2000-10-23
Columbus, OH
reply to grasshopper
Well, if you are certain that you had no other application or malware running during the line quality test, then we next need to look at signal levels.

and select the signals tab. Please post the results.

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
»192.168.100.1/signal.html Here are the signal levels now. I didn't check to see if my speeds are still in the tank.

ClarkKent0

join:2004-04-25
Waterloo, ON
reply to grasshopper
You need to copy and paste the signal levels from that page.

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY

Downstream Value
Frequency 573000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB
Power Level -12 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 27984000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 46 dBmV

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
Baldwin, NY

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
reply to drake
said by drake:
It would be helpful to view some of these test and give us a bit more information:

•Run a speed test at »nyc.speakeasy.net
•Open Command Prompt and type:

tracert nyc.speakeasy.net -- Copy and paste the data here.

•Do you have a router?
•What cable modem do you have?

Speakeasy speed test showed 1800/67. A long way from 3000/384 advertised. I did get the tracert to work. ( typo made the failure before) I couldn't copy from the prompt screen though. There were 30 hops. The last 20 timed out.

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ
Well the NYC area is having a maintenance Monday morning.

drake
Overdosed on confidence
Premium,MVM
Baldwin, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by mario44222:
Well the NYC area is having a maintenance Monday morning.

I wouldn't always go by what the network status page stats.
--
We Can Help you trap the bad guy by visiting our BBR Security Forum! He won't escape!

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ
Well actually, last night/this morning I did have a speed slow down.

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
reply to grasshopper
I spent an hour on the phone with the "help" desk.At first the tech. told me that my 1300/85 speeds were within limits and he wouldn't be able to advance my complaint. I persisted telling him this was a drop from 2900/350. He ran some tests and had me run some. There was a 20% packet loss. Local service is supposed to be here in the morning.

Duckzilla

join:2003-10-18
Carthage, NY
There have been occassional bandwidth problems for TWCNY customers lately. Modem stays connected but bandwidth drops right off (to the point where pages won't even load) and then slowly comes back.

Charles423

@newyork.corp.yahoo.c
reply to grasshopper
TWCNYC usually is bulletproof. The past three days, they have not been. I'm getting 25-75% packet loss and ping times to Y! in excess of 200ms.

Talking to 2nd level tech support they say that there is a "service outage" and that they have no ETA for it being fixed. What the hell? What kind of customer support is this?

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
reply to grasshopper
Service tech was here yesterday. Of course, everything was perfect then. He said he had a lot of complaints in the area. Probably a problem on a pole and a lineman will have to stumble on it. 45 minutes later the packet loss and slow speeds were back.

lukemason

join:2000-09-14
Schenectady, NY
reply to grasshopper
KNOWN ISSUE BEN HAPPENING ALL OVER NY FOR ABOUT 4WEEKS NOW BAD PINGS BAD LATENCY AND FREQUENT CUT OUTS NY's RR IS A MESS !
--
what ever duz not kill you makes u stronger =0)~

richie111

join:2001-07-24
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to grasshopper
noticing the same thing in queens.

every couple of days it drops out and dies.

Thinking hard about verizon 3/768 when it is released

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
reply to grasshopper
Packet loss varies from 15% to 24%. Speed results vary a lot too. I don't think support is going to help. They just called and asked about a ticket from a month ago. That one resolved itself and I never heard from RR after making the complaint. They have serious problems with customer support.

eeveekim

join:2003-08-02
Syracuse, NY
reply to lukemason
I feel your pain.
It's been happening since at least May 13th here in Syracuse. That issue has STILL not been closed! The reason for that probably? Because the service has been nothing but shite ever since that date. I haven't gone a week since then without being disconnected and the most annoying part of this is that when it does go out, NOTHING that you do will fix the speed. No amount of ipconfig /release /renew, unplugging and replugging the modem, logging out of xp and logging back in will fix it. It actually REQUIRES a reboot to get speeds back to normal.

Here is a taste of what I'm experiencing right now and what is par for the course:
»/speedtests/13···88103569

9 times out of 10 for me the download gets screwed and I have to lose my uptime yet again to fix it. I wouldn't mind if when I came back on my speeds had been upgraded but alas, that has not happened this month and a half of nonstop outages (some planned, some not). Most of them are reported on the network status page remarkably so I have not called them (don't wanna raise my blood pressure unnecessarily). I have to assume they're getting a deluge of complaints. Why it takes a month and a half to complete maintenance/fix crap you broke in the process is beyond me. Verizon is looking better and better. It's gonna be faster and compared to this two cans and a string is an easier way to communicate ;P

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
The worst part is that there is no-one local to call. You get the national line, maneuver through the telephone tree, and then get some guy that wants you to jump through the same hoops as always. DSL may be an option, but, the speeds here aren't that good.

grasshopper

Port Byron, NY
reply to grasshopper
Connection seems to be better for the last 24hrs. I hope "eeveekim" is getting some benefit too. It's probably an accident. YWCNY hasn't shown me much in support.

eeveekim

join:2003-08-02
Syracuse, NY
So far so good..

The last 24 hours (I think) have been stable although I did go down a couple more times later on in the day when I posted last. Hoping to get some added benefit from all this downtime but nothin yet hehe