All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
code warrior
join:2004-06-26

code warrior

NIS 2002 symproxysvc.exe high cpu usage

Hello,

I am using Win 2K Server and NIS 2002. The Symproxysvc.exe version is 4.0.3.104. A couple of weeks ago I received the latest liveupdate from Norton and since then the CPU on my machine stays at 100% with Symproxysvc.exe consuming 98% of CPU. This also makes internet browsing a painfully slow process.

Can someone please help. To make matters worse my liveupdate account has expired. When I check liveupdate it reckons all my norton software is uptodate but cannot download any signature software for obvious reasons.

HELP - I want my machine back

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

2 recommendations

sonofjay

MVM

Search is your friend

Win2k/XP Fix
code warrior
join:2004-06-26

code warrior

Thanks for the response sonofjay. Your magic seems to have worked ...atleaset for timebeing or until some developer under pressure, working long hours stuffs it up again.

Thanks.;)

sonofjay
Mission Accomplished - Bush May 1, 2003
MVM
join:2001-05-14
Malden, MA

2 edits

sonofjay

MVM

Glad it worked for you. And welcome to BroadbandReports.com

Birdman-X
@adelphia.net

1 recommendation

Birdman-X

Anon

I was ready to kill myself. I still don't know what/how this thing got onto my machine but I have hardly used it for the last 4 months because it was so painful.

I tried to de-install Norton but it won't let me due to some "supervisor" thing....I'm really annoyed now....

Out of frustration I do a little google on it....you are about the 4th hit and first reasonable sounding one....

Wow....1000 thank-you's....an immediate and 100% improvement. I no longer hate my computer.

Regards

jvmorris
I Am The Man Who Was Not There.
MVM
join:2001-04-03
Reston, VA

jvmorris

MVM

said by Birdman-X:
:). . .
Wow....1000 thank-you's....an immediate and 100% improvement. I no longer hate my computer.
Well, there's always tomorrow morning!

Speaking of which, come on back and let's talk about that Supervisor issue.

Birdman-x
@adelphia.net

Birdman-x

Anon

Haha...still working.

I could tell the error was Norton related so I tried to just delete Norton period and maybe set up a wireless thingy that buddy said acted as a firewall. I was sold.

I follow Norton's instructions which bring you to the old....Start...control panel....add remove programs...as I expected....I tried to remove and I couldn't because I don't have supervisor rights....I'm like....piss me off....it's my machine....I search Norton's help and there is nowhere to go to access a logon screen for the supervisor rights.....I installed it a few years ago and have just updated. If I was required to put a supervisor on I would have and I know what password I would have used...however.....no help there....I was perturbed to say the least.....

Norton is officially on my *hit list. I will not be renewing. There must be other alternatives out there that are better and cheaper....I've just been too lazy to look....

Man I hate computers when they don't work....

I can't tell you much more than that....is there anything else you were looking for?