how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

pip2kk

join:2004-06-27
Rio Rancho, NM

SpeedStream 5100

I just purchased a SpeedStream 5100 to replace to StarSmart II ADSL modem I currently use. When I first plugged in the 5100 today, I was able to get online, but my speeds were almost 56k. Currently that is not the problem. I then unplugged the 5100 and went back to the StarSmart II. Later when I plugged the 5100 back in, the DSL light just flashed and wouldnt stay steady. I plugged the StarSmart II back in to check if my internet was still there and it was. My question is : do I have a bunk modem, or is there something that I am not seeing?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

Click for full size
Where did you get the 5100 and who is your ISP?

You may have a incompatible service or you may need a line swapper.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM

ISP : CTCIS.net

I got the 5100 on ebay. I have ruled out all possibilities that this is a defunct product, due the the sellers status and all of the original packaging was included in a unopen box. My isp uses ppp, so pppoa , pppoe , or raspppoe would work (i made sure of this information before i purchased the modem)

Thanks for replying

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Is this the Router/Modem you have now? (the first three pictures) It is a Full Router and most 5100 are Plain Bridge/Modems. That means it would not work in most cases.

Does your ISP use PPPoA? Check in the Web Interface of your current unit. If it does, the 5100 Bridge/Modem does not support PPPoA or even PPPoE. It is a Bridge only device. Only a Full Retail 5100 Router supports PPPoA.

Also look at the pins used in you existing Router to see if 3 and 4 (the two center pins) are used as that is how the 5100 is setup to see ADSL sync. If your current unit used different pins in the RJ11 socket, you will have to install a Line Swapper to get sync first. Without sync and solid green sync LEDs you cannot go further.

What ISP did the 5100 come from and what part number is on the bottom label? How many LEDs does it have? 4 LEDs or 5 LEDs?

The 5100 may not work at all. There are three (3) types of 5100s and they are not interchangeable.

Accessing the Web Management Interface on my SpeedStream 5100 or 5200

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM

well i had it working when i first got it then when i started putting it in a more permanent spot it just died on me. my isp is pppoe as i can dial into them no problem

yes 3 and 4 are used.

Part Number 060-e141-a08
it is a sbc supplied modem
4 lights : power ehternet dsl activity

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

How far are you from the CO?

What speed is your DSL line?

The unit you have may be better on lower speed/lower quality lines than the 5100 and it may not be able to sync solidly.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM

my line is 768 / 384. the modem / router combo i have currently was discontinued in 1999 i belive. no net is better than using that pos. my isp bought them right after they stopped making them and bought them in bulk at a lower price. I really need to get this working or im out 70USD and will have to cut many programs im working on short :-S

why would it just all of the sudden not be able to sync?

Thanks for your help

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

If your line is RADSL the 5100 may have trouble on it or if your Margins/Attenuation are borderline it may have problems.

You can try testing at your NID to see if it will sync there. You should be using filters on all your phones and if you have more than 5 filters total, you should replace them with a "Home Run" installation of a whole house Filter/Splitter.

Otherwise I do not know what else to tell you. I cannot confirm that the 5100 can handle RADSL and the specs on your current Modem/Router do say that it supports RADSL (Rate-Adaptive DSL). If your ISP is RADSL instead of G.DMT Full Rate DSL that could be a factor.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How to check modem stats, synch rates & speeds from test jack at the NID.

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »Can I see an example of a splitter install?

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM
reply to pip2kk

welp, im back!

im currently using my speedstream 5100

download speed's are normal
upload speed's are making me cry tho :/

2004-07-06 21:14:58 Speed test @ ec 573/48 kbps

»/quality/nil/1443498

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Were you running any other downloads or uploads during the test? If yes, test again with nothing else using your connection. Reboot the 5100, then the PC and just open your browser to run the test.

What does your ATM sync show up as? (see image)

Read this info:
»AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »Funhouse info on the original 5100a Modem including how to get at line stats

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM
reply to pip2kk

where do i get that window.
i believe i have the bridge modem, and to my knowledge there is not web app.
i may be wrong

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM

nvm i found what you were talking about

DSL Status/Statistics

DSL Status

768000 64000

im guess sbc has the modem capped as 64k up, which is not good :-(

can my local isp fix this?
or is this like a cable modems docsis?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30

Those are your actual sync figures and they are set by the ISP equipment. It looks like you have 768/64 DSL service. You could have internal wiring issues and need to see if the sync rate is higher at the NID.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How to check modem stats, synch rates & speeds from test jack at the NID.

DSL is not like Cable and the speeds for DSL are set in the CO at the far end from your Modem.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM

my internet is
768/384 which currently i am getting using the StarSmart.

this HAS to be the speedstream modem being capped.
this modem has been tested and is fully compatible with my isp

are there any home remedies i can work with?
or am i stuck with what my isp has said with calling Efficent and talking to them personally?

Thanks Again

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM

okay i have another question, on the starsmart2 where did u find information on it? i looked all over and never got anything. im wondering if i can get a upgrade for it, it may be more stable?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to pip2kk

said by pip2kk:
my internet is
768/384 which currently i am getting using the StarSmart.

this HAS to be the Speedstream modem being capped.
The modem syncs with what the DSLAM sends to it. DSL modems are not like Cable modems and they only sync with how fast they see coming from the copper. If your line is marginal or noisy, and/or if you have a modem brand that works better than another brand on the same line it may be due to the better connection modem being designed to work under less than normal conditions.
said by pip2kk:
this modem has been tested and is fully compatible with my ISP
It seems to sync at better speeds for sure than the 5100.
said by pip2kk:
are there any home remedies i can work with?
Other than testing at the NID »AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How to check modem stats, synch rates & speeds from test jack at the NID. to eliminate inside RFI or wiring issues there's not much you can do.
said by pip2kk:
or am i stuck with what my ISP has said with calling Efficient and talking to them personally?
You can, but I don't know what they could possibly tell you that's not already been covered here.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM

1 edit

what i meant was, while at isp, they connected and only got 64k up :-S

and any info on a firmware update for starsmart 2?

Doctor Olds
Premium,VIP
1970 442 W30
reply to pip2kk

said by pip2kk:
okay i have another question, on the starsmart2 where did u find information on it? i looked all over and never got anything. I'm wondering if i can get a upgrade for it, it may be more stable?

It may be your copper line signal and/or line conditions and or line length are the factors causing the instability and not the Modem itself. Have you considered that also?

Read all of this KB at MyNetWatchMan.com
»www.mynetwatchman.com/kb/ADSL/index.htm

Remember that Google is your Friend.
»www.google.com/search?q=StarSmar···filter=0

Pacific Star - StarSmart Modem Line
»www.pacstar.com/norcom/star_smart.html
quote:
Pacific Star is pleased to offer a full line of xDSL modems for home, office and SOHO applications. We have assembled the very best combination of cost-effective modems to meet the highest standards in speed and reliability. And if you need Engineering support, our Star Support Services are designed to let you choose the level of support you need — from installation to technical support — Pacific Star will keep you up and running.
»www.pacstar.com/PDF/pdfDownload/SSII.pdf

»www.pacstar.com/pdf/starsmart/in···spec.pdf

Regards,

Doctor Olds

pip2kk

Rio Rancho, NM

this modem is unreliable, i have checked with many other users in my area, and they all have the same problem.

yes i know google is my friend
)

what im asking about is the screenshot of the modem web app you posted is not the same on i see. so hence there must have been a upgrade