spc
Search similar:

uniqs
stach
join:2002-03-28
Minnetonka, MN

stach

USR WPA Support Response

Here's how my latest "WPA Email" was answered by USR.

My email:
USR has been promising WPA encryption since October and for awhile your
website claimed in would be available in February 2004 and then
switched
to it's current date of "soon". Any new word on this as I bought this
AP
because it was going to have WPA last fall and it still doesn't?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

USR Response:
The IEEE has not yet come out with the WPA standard yet, and until they do, we are all waiting.

LAME, I think we all have noticed how every other manufacturer has released firmware supporting WPA. Only USR hasn't to my knowledge.
woverin
join:2003-12-21

woverin

The bugs in firmware setting page still exist. It won't work with any browser except IE. They did not care about tech support in anyway.
Damn I would not recommend my friends to buy anything from US robotic again. Go to hell.

r2504
@155.91.x.x

r2504 to stach

Anon

to stach
The strange thing is that the USR9106 ADSL (which is similar to the 8054) does have WPA support ! This is a screenshot from him... »www.userbase.be/forum/do ··· p?id=655

The person I know also claimed that the 5410 PCMCIA card has WPA support, but I can't find it in my config (not even with the 5.0j driver). I'm waiting for a screenshot as I can hardly believe it.
Scoobs72
join:2004-01-15

Scoobs72

The 5410 and 5416 cards both use the Texas Instruments chipset. DLink use this for their G520+ (and G650+) and Netgear use it for their WG311v2. DLink released WPA support a couple of months ago (if I recall correctly) and Netgear released it last week (and Netgear are notoriously slow in releasing updated drivers).

So....Texas Instruments HAVE released drivers with WPA support, DLink and Netgear have released them, but USR haven't! The only reasonable explanation for this is if USR plan to incorporate the WPA support into the config utility for the 5410 and 5416. If they do take this approach (which Netgear and DLink haven't - well Netgear certainly haven't and I'm pretty sure DLink haven't too), then the delays are understandable, i.e "Texas Instruments have delivered the drivers late, and now we're working to get them built into the config utility".

BUT, if USR are not going to build support into their config utility and make us use the windows supplicant then there is no excuse whatsoever for these delays!

In the meantime, if you're desperate for WPA support on the 5410 or 5416 try out the Netgear or DLink drivers and perform a force install of them
Winchet4
join:2002-08-20
Germany

Winchet4 to stach

to stach
said by stach:

USR Response:
The IEEE has not yet come out with the WPA standard yet, and until they do, we are all waiting.

When did you get this response? The IEEE has ratified 802.11i on the 25th of June 2004. So there is a standard now, where is the firmware update

r2504
@unknown.uunet.be

r2504

Anon

There's indeed no excuses for a delay... WPA is not something new (ratifieed or not), and if USR should now start programming the stuff, then something is really wrong with them.

Still... the fact their 9106 already has WPA in the config (don't know if it works since their PCMCIA card doesn't support WPA) proves that they've it already available.

BTW... wouldn't they release their 125 Mbps update neither around this time... that's one of the few excuses they would have to delay it... but I guess we waited long enough by now.

JustDropping
@12.119.x.x

JustDropping

Anon

Not sure what to make of the US Robotics manufacture. Apparently, they take their promises and advertisements very lightly. I wonder if there could be a possible law suite for this kind of shit. Tricking customers to think that they will get the best and latest, then keep on finding excuse to say how because they are trying to get the "best", so the customers will just need to wait, and be the "latest" on the block to have the technology! Bunch of BS and deception you tell me.
Scoobs72
join:2004-01-15

Scoobs72

Hey, lighten up. It's not their fault if TI are late completing the drivers. And you won't complain either if they're currently spending their time incorporating them into the config utility instead of just throwing them out to use with the crappy windows config utility. What USR are guilty of is over-promising on the delivery date when they actually had very little control over it. It's a stark contrast to Netgear and DLink who will tell you jack about when new drivers are coming. Personally I prefer USRs approach.

Let's see what happens - if they're busy working away to build them into the config utility then well done USR. On the other hand, if they're just going to release the raw drivers then I'll be the first to condemn them.
Scoobs72

Scoobs72

The new firmware is out and it has both the 125Mb upgrade and the WPA support built into the config utility. Well done USR!
Sathan
join:2004-08-15
Moncton, NB

Sathan to stach

to stach
WPA appeared in other manufacturer's products before the standard was even released. Wtf does that tell you? Maybe they just released it to shut people up?

I'd far sooner have WPA put in after the standard was released and a couple months were given to test it and make sure it's working properly before released. So when you get it it actually works. You can tell most people have never programmed before and dunno what it's like to have to sit there for days stare at the same piece of code that's not working trying to figure out what the problems is.
Brollox
join:2004-04-19
BELGIUM

Brollox to stach

to stach
Still no support WPA for USR2210 based wifi cards/adapters ... kinda lame support at USR .. like ZILCH support !! 25th June , WPA standard, 5th of September, STILL NO WPA for older cards .. how LAME can you get ???!!