uniqs

bmelee
Premium Member
join:2004-03-25
Birmingham, AL

bmelee

Premium Member

Opinions Needed

I have been reading in the various forums about different brands of DSL modems and which models were better that so and so, and I am more confused than ever. So I am asking for some opinions about which ones ARE better.
As to what I have at present. I have a Speed Stream 3060 PCI internal DSL model in a ECS K7S5A Pro MB with a AMD Athlon XP 1800+ and 512 Meg of PC2700 DDR . I am using WinProxy 5.1 for my firewall and such and this computer serves as my server/ print/server for 2 other work stations.
The SS3060 has been giving me problems for awhile, and I got a couple of SS5667's, but have not had the time to really go into them and make them work.
My provider is BS, I am PPPOA with name and pw to logon with and I am on dynamic IP.
Thats my info. Thanks for any help.
Lee

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

The 5667 is a decent Modem or Router depending on the part number you have. 060-5660-??? Only the 5667 "SecureRoute" Router version supports PPPoA. The 5667 Modem would need PPPoE software from Bellsouth to work (BS uses both PPPoA and PPPoE).

Both versions will work fine with Bellsouth.

Related Threads:
»modifying the vpi on sbc 5100
»bellsouth & efficient 5667
»Problems Trying to Config 5667
»How To for Speedstream 5667 DSL modem

Regards,

Doctor Olds

bmelee
Premium Member
Birmingham, AL

bmelee

Premium Member

What I am after is trying to get away from Winproxy and am looking for a better modem/firewall. I am using a 4 port hub to connect everything together at the present.
I have 2 of the 5667 units. One with the model number of 060-5667-001 and the other with 060-5667-001 and a sticker which reads Rev .2
A friend of mine just gave me a 5260 / 060-5660-003. Which I have been trying to upgrade with the newer firmware but am having some problems. I have followed the directions very closely and but I still get the message that " File could not be downloaded". However, the Serv-U program shows that it completed the task. I am using the name 5660.img for the file name. Is this correct?

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

The 5667 Rev .2 may be a Router. Hook it to your PC and set your Ethernet card's TCP/IP properties to "Obtain IP address Automatically". Then Release and Renew your IP address. If it is a Router version it will give you an IP in the 192.168.251.x range. Then you can log into it at »192.168.254.254 with the default Login and Password of admin/admin. If you get a 169.x.x.x IP, then it is not a Router in most cases since the 169./x.x.x IP is Windows way of saying no Router found to give it an working IP. The other 5667 is most likely a Bridge only device and would need PPPoE software or a Router with built in PPPoE behind it (5667 Bridges do not support PPPoA).

The 5260/5660 Hybrid will give you that error you are getting if it cannot find the file (test your FTP server setup using the regular Windows client command "FTP 10.0.0.2" to verify your server works and you can see the file) or if you are trying to use the 5660.img file before using the upgrade.img file since the checksum does not match (two problems, one error). Reread the FAQ here »The Unofficial SpeedStream 5260 ---> 5660 FAQ as you may be skipping steps. You have to flash the 5260/5660 twice. Once with the upgrade image and once with the file 5660.img or it will not work. You still flash it twice if you edit your own 5660.img files, since you want the edited version to unlock the unit and a clean unaltered copy to go over the edited version right after your success.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

bmelee
Premium Member
Birmingham, AL

bmelee

Premium Member

I will give the would be router a check later on tonight. Thanks for the info on both of them. At first I thought the lan interface chip was bad so I replaced that in one of the, but still no go. I will try the other way next.
As to the 5260/5660.:D I found the problem. It was my hex editor. It would not work on any file over 1024KB in size. Been so long I had forgotten. Snatched another off the net and everything went as smooth as glass. Changed the settings , name and pw and it logged in perfectly. Thanks to ALL who made the job easier by combining all the info into such a neat package. Now back to work on the other two.
BTW. Which of these would you say has the better firewall, or should I invest in something else?
Thanks. Lee

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by bmelee:
Which of these would you say has the better firewall,
Test them and see.

Sygate Scan
»scan.sygate.com/
GRC Scan
»grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
BBR Port Scan
»/scan
BBR Slow Scan
»/secureme

I'd say they were pretty equal with the 5660 having IP Filtering to use optionally that the 5667 doesn't have.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

bmelee
Premium Member
Birmingham, AL

bmelee

Premium Member

Thanks for the info. I tried the first 2 OK, but the 3rd gave me a javascript error and killed my browser. Had to restart it again. I may not have a very up to date version on my workstation.
I did as you suggested and set the nic to obtain a IP automatically. It did and I was able to log into the web interface, but the ethernet light on the modem blinks on and off all the time. It never stops. The Web page shows the line labels, but no data to the right side. If I choose a option on the left such as simple setup or advanced, nothing happens. I guess I need to dig a little deeper into the port configuration and make sure that port 80 HTTP is there. Or would that only effect internet usage?
Thanks.
Lee

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
What Software version and does it say Secure Route at the top of the Interface?

Regards,

Doctor Olds
Doctor Olds

Doctor Olds to bmelee

Premium Member

to bmelee
said by bmelee:
The Web page shows the line labels, but no data to the right side. If I choose a option on the left such as simple setup or advanced, nothing happens.

Internet Explorer likes the Router/Modem to be in it's Intranet Zone or Trusted Zone and Java Scripting must be enabled.

I prefer using Netscape or Mozilla to access the Router/Modem Interface as they are better browser (IMHO) and they do not have the ignore "no cache" flaw that IE exhibits when working in the Web Interface.

Regards,

Doctor Olds

bmelee
Premium Member
Birmingham, AL

bmelee

Premium Member

I will check which software version is there but it doesn't look like the secure route you posted. Mine has one window on the right and two windows on the left but I will check the version tonight when I get back .
I will also make sure about the Java script and Trusted zone settings.
Thanks.
Lee

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Also clear your IE cache.

»Efficient Networks Forum FAQ »How do I Troubleshoot Web GUI Connection to 192.168.254.254?

Regards,

Doctor Olds

bmelee
Premium Member
Birmingham, AL

bmelee

Premium Member

As you can see, no actual data is showing at all. If I move the cursor over the the left hand window, I can see down on the task bar the different scripts which should do something when I click on a option, but nothing happens. I know I have my browser set correctly because I can log into the 5660 with no problems at all, and go into each option.
I checked everything 3 times, and everything is connected and configured correctly. In fact I have tried at least a dozen different settings and the only one which works is the one I started with.
On the NIC card the link light is lit at all times and the data light blinks when it should. The modem Ethernet led will blink fast whin it is receiving data and then goes on blinking slowly the rest of the time. I can't help but think that something in the configuration file got wacked.
From the Console port I got the following information:

PPBoot 7.0.2
Model 5667 Rev.01
Firmware R3.0.9
Web UI Version 2.6.21
DSL Firmware 3.6.72
Modem SW Version 3.6.72
Modem DMT Version 1A04
Modem is in Bridge mode

My next step I guess is to print off every configuration file I can find and see if I can see something that doesn't look right.
Thanks,
Lee

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

2 edits

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

That is a Citizen/Frontier BRouter crippled 5667. It is not a full Router, but you may still get it to work with Bellsouth if you are able to use PPPoA. It does have severe limitations though.

5667 - Configuring Images Provided by ISPs Citizens and Frontier

5667 - Frontier/Citizen Bridge-Router (Brouter) Online Gaming Conflicts

5667 USB Driver (v3.4)

SpeedStream 5667 - CD contents & Image

You would use Simple Setup and create a connection using 8/35 as the VPI/VCI pair and LLC as the Mux type with your full Bellsouth email address and password plus make sure to enable NAPT. Make sure to "save the configuration" and to remove any other extra VPI/VCI entries.

You would use DHCP on the 5667 (enable it if disabled) and set your PCs to get an IP address Automatically.