Click for full size
Canon PowerShot S1 IS
5.8mm 1/125th F2.8

Flower shot
Click for full size
Canon PowerShot S1 IS
11mm 1/15th F3.1

Canon S1 box shot
I just got a Canon S1 a few days ago and after reading the manual and still taking terrible photos I went to the trusty library and checked out two books on photo composition. These books have taught me a lot about the art of photo taking and my pictures are much better now (although no where near perfect)

The canon camera is very good (much better then my first, a Kodak cx4300) and for my shaky hands the image stabilization really helps. Here's a shot of the box and a shot of a flowering tree I just took. I followed the rule of thirds guideline and tried to do something special with the depth (I did adjust the curves a little to bring out the pink)

I'm a lurker for the most part but I do enjoy reading what all of you have to say and I have numerous shots from tiggerstales on my desktop. So here's to my photo career!!

Rubicon6
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Philly

Rubicon6

Premium Member

Congrats and great photos! Tiggertales has definitely set the bar for beautiful photography. Great choice and enjoy!

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

Gemologist to dleaberr

Premium Member

to dleaberr
Congrats!!!

Bada Bing
WVU Mountaineers
Premium Member
join:2001-05-29
Fort Gay, WV

Bada Bing to dleaberr

Premium Member

to dleaberr
Congrats, I hear that camera takes some great video as well.

dleaberr
Read A Book
Premium Member
join:2003-11-13
Spanish Fork, UT

dleaberr

Premium Member

said by Bada Bing:
Congrats, I hear that camera takes some great video as well.

It does, thats the reason I bought it. My wife wanted a digital camcorder, I didn't think she'd use it as much as she thought. (when was the last time you watched those two hours of footage from aunt mabels birthday party) so we compromised and got the camera plus a 1 gb compact flash card. That stores 10 minutes of really nice video and takes extremely good pictures. It was a wonderful compromise.

tiggerstales

join:2000-08-25
B'ham, Al.

tiggerstales to dleaberr

to dleaberr
Congrats and welcome to the forum! Soon you'll be just as addicted as the rest of us.:)

AzzKicker
Premium Member
join:2001-02-04
Edinburg, TX

AzzKicker to dleaberr

Premium Member

to dleaberr
congrats, but you have a dead pixel already

Kickroot
Java Heathen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
Honesdale, PA
ARRIS eXtreme SB6120

Kickroot

Premium Member

said by AzzKicker:
congrats, but you have a dead pixel already

Near the center of the flower?

And nice choice with the S1! I was looking it over, but decided to get a G5 instead.

dleaberr
Read A Book
Premium Member
Spanish Fork, UT

1 edit

dleaberr

Premium Member

Thanks for noticing, I would have never seen that. I'll look at my options for taking it back to staples or getting warranty service done. Is this fairly common? I know LCD monitor companies usually won't service their monitors unless there are three or more dead pixels. Are cameras like this?

Julio
NightLinks
Premium Member
join:2001-06-04
Bronx, NY

Julio to dleaberr

Premium Member

to dleaberr
I'm getting allergies just looking at that flower

dleaberr
Read A Book
Premium Member
Spanish Fork, UT

dleaberr to Kickroot

Premium Member

to Kickroot
Well I called staples and because I bought it online they have to have their courier deliver it Monday (I called after 5pm or it would have been tomorrow) or I lose my 120.00 worth of pricematching. They were very nice about it and I have to admit out of all the office retail stores Staples is the nicest I've seen.

Special thanks to AzzKicker for examining my photo pixel by pixel (I really do appreciate it or I never would have found this out)

My first test with the new camera will be to take a picture of a black piece of paper (maybe just leave the lens cap on) and also one of a pure white (just to see that the pixels aren't dead)