Premium Member
join:2001-09-14
Manchester, CT

pleekmo to JRBlood

Premium Member

to JRBlood

Re: How to switch from SETI Classic to SETI BOINC

said by JRBlood:
Don't forget that you can use the stop_after_send.txt trick with your old SETI clients.

I don't think this will work for me. If I read this correctly, then this will make the client stop after sending the current WU and ignore the remaining WUs that I have cached locally.

What I want to do is to continue processing SETI Classic until my current cache runs out. I think the easiest way to do this would be to change my SETI Driver "Desired Cache Size" to zero and let it continue running.

Now after the cache runs out can I immediately switch over to BOINC on that machine or do I have to let all the caches on all my machines run out before switching to BOINC?
Rattledagger
Premium Member
join:2002-07-03
Norway

Rattledagger

Premium Member

You can run BOINC & classic on different machines at the same time.

Also, to make sure you don't get any down-time, you can start running BOINC then you've still got a couple classic wu cached, just don't set the preferences in BOINC to high, due to the deadline.

Since seti for BOINC runs at priority 2 and classic 4, the classic will get all cpu-time, but BOINC will immediately kick in then empty.

JRBlood
Premium Member
join:1999-12-28
Syracuse, NY

1 edit

JRBlood to pleekmo

Premium Member

to pleekmo
said by pleekmo:
said by JRBlood:
Don't forget that you can use the stop_after_send.txt trick with your old SETI clients.

I don't think this will work for me. If I read this correctly, then this will make the client stop after sending the current WU and ignore the remaining WUs that I have cached locally.
That's correct. It will stop your client from pulling from the cache. However, since you're using SETIDriver, and you set it to 0, then you don't need this text file since your client will no longer process as it can't get a WU from the SD's cache.

Now if you had several clients pulling from one queue like from SETIQueue, and you want to convert one over to BOINC for testing, then this tip will help as your other classic clients will continue to drain the queue.
quote:
Now after the cache runs out can I immediately switch over to BOINC on that machine or do I have to let all the caches on all my machines run out before switching to BOINC?
Yes, you should be able to switch over, as long as your other clients don't rely on that same queue (Not really sure if that's even possible with SETIDriver since I haven't run it in a couple of years).